Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Grant Morrison Wants To Bring 'Wonder Woman' Back To Her Roots

• 86 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Of all the things Grant Morrison is famous for, the way he utilizes elements of a character's origin in a current story is probably what makes his writing most recognizable. Morrison goes to the "root" of a character not only to get a better understanding of him or her, but also to craft a story that deals with details of what made the character who they are in their present incarnation. He uses their history to distinguish who they are. Morrison very sucessfully did this when he wrote All-Star Superman and Batman, R.I.P., so people were not the least bit surprised when the writer revealed that Wonder Woman would be his next challenge. Back in 2009, Morrison revealed that Wonder Woman is the one character he would most like to tackle and that he hopes he would have an opportunity to "redefine what she stands for and what she's capable of as a character." Since, however, there hasn't been much word on Morrison's ties to Diana. Until now.

No Caption Provided

In a recent interview at the Edinburgh Book Festival Morrison revealed his plans for Wonder Woman as well as the kind of research he had to do in order to get a full grasp on feminist concepts that inherently relate to the character.

== TEASER ==
    But I think I've found a way to get all that back in again but it took a lot of reading. This has been the hardest project I've ever done. I had to read feminist theory all the way through, from Simone De Beauvoir to Andrea Dworkin and apply it to this character. And to try and do something that incorporated those ideas but completely took them in a different direction. So I mean beyond that I'll say, Wonder Woman needs sex definitely because you know, again as I said in the book, they kind of transformed her into a cross between the Virgin Mary and Mary Tyler Moore. This girl scout who had no sexuality at all and the character's never quite worked since then.
    No Caption Provided

Morrison brings up an interesting point. Should Wonder Woman have to sacrifice her femininity and sexuality in order to be a strong woman? Can she be both? According to the writer, removing any trace of her sexuality is partially the "root" of the problem.

...you could take out the murder element of Superman and Batman and the strips still worked. But when you took the sex out of Wonder Woman, the thing went flat. And the sales died immediately after Marston himself died and never ever recovered....In the way that Superman's supposed to stand for men but at least he's allowed to have some kind of element of sexuality, Wonder Woman is expected to stand for women without any element of sexuality, and that seems wrong...I started looking at trying to do a Wonder Woman that brought back some of these elements but without it being prurient or exploitative.

It's certainly an interesting perspective, and it certainly sounds like a challenge. Morrison also stated that he doesn't want to reveal too much as he hopes the series would be released within the coming year, but he's already revealed plenty about the direction in which he would like to take the character in his book: back to her roots; back to William Marston. What do you think of Morrison's idea for a Wonder Woman book? Is it something you would be interested in reading?

Source: Comicbookgrrrl

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Primmaster64

cool

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

hmm...I would trust Morrison with wonder woman

but when would he have time for such projects? I mean right now he's doing Action comics and next year he's doing Multiversity or whatever and somewhere around then he's also doing that Batman Inc sequel...Doesn't he have enough on his plate? not that I'm complaining. Guess he's no one to stay still doing nothing

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Neat. I'd read it.

BallsMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BallsMonkey

Go for it Grant!

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By CrimsonTempest

I'd read it.

ManlyScream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ManlyScream

Okay, but would that be at the end of Azzarello's run? Is this a side story and if so, how will it alter the continuity that is being established right now by the character in the new 52?

It's a great idea that, i believe, has made other female characters more enjoyable than they would have otherwise (batwoman)

Very commendable doing so much research...wonder how many other writers are doing the same...but that's just part of Morrison greatness.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By feebadger

I would love to read it and he's absolutely right. Wonder Woman can be a hard character to relate to sometimes as she's written as almost pious, chaste and stoic by most writers. She does have strong ideals, certainly and her background is, unusual to say the least, but she's also a woman and in that deserves to be written with more depth and real sexuality.

Unwritten Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Unwritten Duck

Grant Morrison is one of those writers whose works you usually have to read more than once to understand what he is doing. For me this was the case with All*Star Superman. The first time I read it, the story didn't really make sense and it seemed to be lacking, and upon my second reading when I saw that it was about seeing the world as Superman sees it then I was like "Oh now I get it."

I think the same will apply with Wonder Woman. Now I'm not expecting All*Star Superman Wonder Woman, but I do expect Grant to take the character in a direction where she's never been taken before and that's what interests me the most.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

On so many documentaries I have seen they say there is a lot of S&M implied in it and a lot of suggestive sexuality, does he mean to take it back to that?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By daredevil21134

Amen Grant

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3

Interesting.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_

@Unwritten Duck said:

Grant Morrison is one of those writers whose works you usually have to read more than once to understand what he is doing. For me this was the case with All*Star Superman. The first time I read it, the story didn't really make sense and it seemed to be lacking, and upon my second reading when I saw that it was about seeing the world as Superman sees it then I was like "Oh now I get it."

I think the same will apply with Wonder Woman. Now I'm not expecting All*Star Superman Wonder Woman, but I do expect Grant to take the character in a direction where she's never been taken before and that's what interests me the most.

Well said.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnny_spam

@ManlyScream: @ManlyScream said:

Okay, but would that be at the end of Azzarello's run? Is this a side story and if so, how will it alter the continuity that is being established right now by the character in the new 52?

It's a great idea that, i believe, has made other female characters more enjoyable than they would have otherwise (batwoman)

Very commendable doing so much research...wonder how many other writers are doing the same...but that's just part of Morrison greatness.

For a while now when this project comes up it is rumored to be another ongoing or a mini or an OGN last time he mentioned it:

" I'm working on this Wonder Woman thing that I've been doing for years, which was going to be Earth One and I'm sure it'll end up somewhere with Brian Azzarello doing the new in-continuity Wonder Woman."

Whatever that means either it is another book or will be in the Wonder Woman ongoing. He has lots of projects coming up which include Batman Inc, two movies, Multiversity and possibly The Flash so who knows when this project will actually be published.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

Wonder Woman? Relevant? I'd read it.

@ArtisticNeedham said:

On so many documentaries I have seen they say there is a lot of S&M implied in it and a lot of suggestive sexuality, does he mean to take it back to that?

I sure hope so, bondage FTW!

lol.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By shawn87

Sounds awesome. It's only fitting that Wonder Woman would be next on his list. He's done great things with Superman and Batman, now it's time to complete the trinity 

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GrimoireMyst

I'm happy that as good a writer as Grant Morrison realized what Wonder Woman seems to be lacking and hope to see what he can do. Can't wait.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By kennybaese

I will read a Morrison Wonder Woman run or mini or whatever. Some of his ideas seem cool too.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By jsphsmth

His recent projects seem to be plagued with delays. We still need to see the conclusion of his Batman Inc storyline and his continually promised multiverse project, both of which are also supposed to be out in 2012. Does anyone believe that he can write WW, finish these projects, and write Action at the same time?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ArtisticNeedham said:

lol.

to be perfectly honest, I don't think you could take WW "back to her roots" without bondage, that's kind of a huge part of the original character, if it's not a part of the series even in some weird Morrison-y way then Grant really dropped the ball

LMAO! Yeah, I'm sure this'd definitely help DC out of the sexist reputations they've gained. Definitely.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheCrowbar

Grant Morrison is going to have Wonder Woman tied up?

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By DarkChris

Well, I will read whatever Morrison will writer. Since Azzarello's run seems pretty good and they don't want to mess up with the New 52 continuity, he could write a maxi series of timeless stories with Wonder Woman. Not All-Star Wonder Woman, something other like Wonder Woman: Forever or something like that.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By johnny_spam

@aztek_the_lost: Also The New Bible his lies must be stopped!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ArtisticNeedham said:

lol.

to be perfectly honest, I don't think you could take WW "back to her roots" without bondage, that's kind of a huge part of the original character, if it's not a part of the series even in some weird Morrison-y way then Grant really dropped the ball

LMAO! Yeah, I'm sure this'd definitely help DC out of the sexist reputations they've gained. Definitely.

If DC or Grant tries to censor/change the story because of that, I'll be pissed, who cares about a reputation when it comes to making stories? It's a ridiculous idea anyways, DC being sexist that is, the new people in charge may be incompetent but sexist? Pfft.

Never said anything to the contrary.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Well...I can't say I always enjoy his ideas, but this one could work. Don't know though...Don't hate me Morrison fans, but he has a thing with redifining super-heroes (or villains) and I don't think it can always work for the best. That's all.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ArtisticNeedham said:

lol.

If DC or Grant tries to censor/change the story because of that, I'll be pissed, who cares about a reputation when it comes to making stories? It's a ridiculous idea anyways, DC being sexist that is, the new people in charge may be incompetent but sexist? Pfft.

Never said anything to the contrary.

I know, but you brought up a valid point that represents the ideas of the vocal portion of the comic-reading populace.

Well my opinions on the subject are (briefly):

1. What they did to Catwoman was cheap. Trying to get readers based on boobs hanging out of comics.
    2. What they did with Starfire isn't bad in terms of sex and such, its just bad because it ruined a good character.

So, yeah. DC isn't sexist, just exploiting and incompetent. But then again, which big Comic Book company isnt?

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By super_psycho

He is sick and twisted but he has done wonders

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By johnny_spam

@jsphsmth: He said the rape scene in Identity Crisis was wrong and did not feel right something many people complained about. He also wrote Final Crisis a year before publication and asked DC not to use the New Gods, in his Seven Soldiers run he showed what happened to them. DC ignored and made Countdown afterwards. Many times his books are in their own corner only when he introduces characters are they used by others but storylines involving existing characters are ignored Joker for example was deformed quiet and sent into Arkham yet many writers used him like nothing happened. It should be the part of the editor to fix those problems.

toastedbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toastedbread

I'll be interested to see what he does with it but I'm not convinced that Wonder Woman's had her sexuality removed, I think people are just uncomfortable acknowledging it. She's really physically prominent, dresses like a barbarian and is associated with much more aggressive weaponry than most other heroes with all the times she's drawn with swords and shields. If she was a guy, I honestly think she'd come across as "virile" rather than "virginal". Is putting her back into bondage just a way of putting a woman who's sexuality is largely due to her physical prowess rather than more traditionally sexualised behaviour back into an understandable box? i.e. that of a dominatrix?

I'd be more interested in seeing Wonder Woman's sexuality being explored *without* the bondage elements.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By super_psycho

@toastedbread said:

I'll be interested to see what he does with it but I'm not convinced that Wonder Woman's had her sexuality removed, I think people are just uncomfortable acknowledging it. She's really physically prominent, dresses like a barbarian and is associated with much more aggressive weaponry than most other heroes with all the times she's drawn with swords and shields. If she was a guy, I honestly think she'd come across as "virile" rather than "virginal". Is putting her back into bondage just a way of putting a woman who's sexuality is largely due to her physical prowess rather than more traditionally sexualised behaviour back into an understandable box? i.e. that of a dominatrix?

I'd be more interested in seeing Wonder Woman's sexuality being explored *without* the bondage elements.

agreed

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mercy_

@jsphsmth said:

@aztek_the_lost: Not how I read it. Along with the comic industry in general, he also had an issue with Meltzer's Identity Crisis in addition to the writers you mentioned.

If it gets in the way of his stories, he is willing to undo other storylines; Countdown was sacrificed for his Final Crisis.

To be fair, people were also told not to touch the New Gods leading up to Final Crisis, because of their spot in that.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mercy_

@aztek_the_lost: Countdown blew chunks.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VioletPhoenix

Believe in Morrison..This guy got me hooked to New X-Men and his Batman run.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost:

Yeah, Starfire might have been a character a long time ago, but that's because she hasn't had that much of a show time and when she has she's always been defined by Grayson. Still, her essence has always been there.

Now, when it comes to Catwoman, I'm not talking about her acting like a slut, or about her having sex randomly with Batman at the end of the issue. I'm talking abotu the fact that the writer suddenly chose to have a boob in a bra slipped outside of her costume in one of the first panels of the comic book. That could easily have been avoided. It was unecessary. It was just... stupid. I mean really? How did that help the story, the character, or anything at all? And please don't come at me with some bulls**t that it because she didn't have time to dress properly (not that you would). I'm not talking about the decisions that led her to do it in the comic book, I'm talking about the decisions that led the writer to portray it that way. We both no that scene could have been portrayed in a different way.

Well, we're getting off topic, here's to Wonder Woman having the possibility of a Morrison run.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mercy_

@jsphsmth said:

@The Dark Huntress: I didn't know Morrison was part of DC's management team. He decides who is allowed to write what?

I knew I should never have expressed an opinion on the all-mighty Morrison.

Getting back to the original question, no I seriously doubt the storyline will be realized in 2012.

It was an integral part of the story. He put it out there that people using these characters would screw with that story. He was told that people wouldn't use those characters. In addition to that, it's Morrison. DC pretty much lets him do whatever the f*ck he wants.

There are people here and in the comic book community who do laud Morrison as a god. I'm not one of them. So maybe it would be wise to not come along with sarcastic comments and assumptions of people's opinions on things?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ReVamp

@The Dark Huntress said:

@jsphsmth said:

@The Dark Huntress: I didn't know Morrison was part of DC's management team. He decides who is allowed to write what?

I knew I should never have expressed an opinion on the all-mighty Morrison.

Getting back to the original question, no I seriously doubt the storyline will be realized in 2012.

It was an integral part of the story. He put it out there that people using these characters would screw with that story. He was told that people wouldn't use those characters. In addition to that, it's Morrison. DC pretty much lets him do whatever the f*ck he wants.

There are people here and in the comic book community who do laud Morrison as a god. I'm not one of them. So maybe it would be wise to not come along with sarcastic comments and assumptions of people's opinions on things?

Is that a bad thing? LMAO :P Couldn't resist.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By fodigg

What does it mean for the revamped WW that they now want to go "back to the roots?"

tbpinkfloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By tbpinkfloyd

Why? I mean, Azzarello's series JUST started and it's awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.