Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Golden Age Wonder Woman?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

How would you feel if they brought back golden age wonder woman?

the invisible jet and her rogues gallery and have her lose her ability to fly

the only twist is they make her more grounded in mythology since i feel thats a necessary part of her contribution to the JL

also following aphrodite instead of athena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also funny and confident and fat etta candy

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love certain elements of the GA WW ... Etta and the Holiday Girls were a great and unique piece of WW, the GA Amazons are my favorite iteration by far ... bring back Kangas!! Certain elements don't play as well now, invisible jet and most of her rogues would need some serious upgrading to make them interesting nowadays. I also don't know that Diana has to be 100% mythology based, the GA had a nice blend of Science and Magic that I see no problem with incorporating into her world again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: true but i feel like she adds that element of magic to the trinity. batman(street level), Superman(science/cosmic), wonder woman(magic)..which is why i felt that at this point it was one of the changes to her that probably wouldnt work if you take it away

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: true but i feel like she adds that element of magic to the trinity. batman(street level), Superman(science/cosmic), wonder woman(magic)..which is why i felt that at this point it was one of the changes to her that probably wouldnt work if you take it away

I just don't think you need to take magic away to have science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: true i guess id just prefer it be more magic than science if they did that

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: true i guess id just prefer it be more magic than science if they did that

fair enough ... I just want the Amazons to be the most skilled society on the planet ... I always like that there were athletes, doctors, philosophers, mystics and more amongst the Amazons ... currently they just feel like they are all the same character, with no real variety.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: oh definitely, the new 52 totally screwed over the point of the amazons and hopefully a writer will fix it because at this point im pretty disillusioned with wonder woman as a whole

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: it started before N52 ... But I agree with you! Too many writers just want a 1-dimensional Amazon nation

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The main problem with the GA is the weaker powers mean even more people will complaining about weak she is compared to Superman etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: well yeah but i was thinking of the more recent changes when i said that though they definitely have mucked it up before. i think people get too caught on the whole "i hate men" train of thought when i feel like after 3000 years most amazons wouldnt even think of men much and the only reason the convo would be brought up would be because Diana's mission making men more relevant to them again

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: GA Amazons were all the equal of SM. it wasn't until the 1950s and the dawn of the Silver Age that the Amazons were made weaker. Diana wasn't that much superior to a normal Amazon back then.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: I'd say that path started with Perez in 1987. He chose to make the Amazons a race of women who had been reborn from the souls of women murdered by men. It's only gotten worse since then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: true i perfer marston's original idea, i can see the parrallel between that and a lot of modern day feminist ideas and theories which i feel says a lot about how progressive his ideology was(esp. in the 40's)

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam said:

How would you feel if they brought back golden age wonder woman?

the invisible jet and her rogues gallery and have her lose her ability to fly

the only twist is they make her more grounded in mythology since i feel thats a necessary part of her contribution to the JL

also following aphrodite instead of athena

I'm all for it, but if they'd have to bring back everything. The Holiday Girls, Amazon Training, the invisible robot plane, kangas, bondage, the Amazon soft spot on the back of the head, the chaining weakness, bracelets shattered berserker rage and most of all Amazon science.

If you take away the flying ability you have to replace it with the powers she had before, like the lasso defying gravity (she once made it into a serpentine ladder that rescued tenants during an apartment fire) the Mental Radio, Purple Ray, etc.

Stories should lead as heavily toward sci-fi and fantasy as they do toward mythology now. Take it back to when Wonder Woman was a super-heroine, as opposed to a warrior. I'd like a period piece set in World War II, with Nazis, Villainy Incorporated, transvestite Doctor Poison, Doctor Psycho's ectoplasm, aliens and evil queens from Saturn. I want the whole enchilada, presented through the lens of the darker themes present in today's comics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: golden age wonder woman had the exact same strength level as superman

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@csg_cl: @scorpio_cassadine: At the time, maybe, but power creep has meant that DC characters from the silver age onwards are usually more ridiculously powered than their original selves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: in that sense then i mean that this ww is on par with whatever current version there is of superman strength/speed/etc. wise

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: true i perfer marston's original idea, i can see the parrallel between that and a lot of modern day feminist ideas and theories which i feel says a lot about how progressive his ideology was(esp. in the 40's)

yes, he was quite embedded with the "first wave" feminist ideology

@maccyd WW was actually significantly depowered during the Silver Age (at one point becoming powerless) when other heroes were becoming cosmically strong she was becoming a street level hero. The backlash from fans and Feminists was significant enough that heads rolled and retcons happened to undo much of her power loss and by the Bronze Age she was being restored to SM level powers.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: yes, we all recognize that. Although she didn't present it as a sword wielding so much as a skilled athlete and a smart mind along with her lasso and bracers. She's shifted over the decades into a more traditional sensed military-type warrior.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: @csg_cl: I find it weird that the modern amazons are just fodder. Diana's other teammates come from races with people close to their power level (kryptonians, martians, lanterns, speedsters, marvels, etc.).

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By alsummers

I like a lot of aspects of the GA, most of what you all mentioned, but I can submit that few aspects are a little dated (i.e. Holliday Girls) but that certainly does not mean writers couldn't work with those GA aspects to fit the modern criteria (like they do with nearly every superhero except apparently Wonder Woman).

But Wonder Woman's been retconned so much that I don't see anyone really going back to the GA and modernizing characters, lessons, conflicts, etc.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CSG_CL

@alsummers: I don't know, the Holliday Girls could play the same kind of role the Daily Planet or Wayne Tech employees fill. Certainly not necessary, but a little updating and who knows how interesting women like Etta Candy could become. They could even be a group of young super powered women just learning how to use their powers or a secret society of young ladies who admire WW etc... Doesn't have to be the Sorority setting Marston used.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alsummers

@csg_cl: Certainly! I'm sure anything from the GA can be updated, I was just providing an example of something that if taken literally into the current generation may not do so well. But the Holliday Girls can definitely be re appropriated to something like a community center group, or just a group of new-age Amazons doing some sort of humanitarian service, etc, or just a group of Diana Prince's coworkers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl@alsummers i dont see why sorority girls cant work but they could make them like fighters at a local dojo or something if they were changing stuff around or like a group of discharged soldiers or female vets or something

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: exactly ... They could even be a Sorority for women in the sciences or something if they wanted to ... Or just a Sorority of normal college girls who admire Diana and want to help her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.