gods in WW new 52

#1 Edited by Nightflash (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who think some gods look kinda lame in WWs book. Dont get me wrong, its one of my favorite comics but im wondering if others share my opinion.

#2 Posted by Black_Claw (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely, I'm especially angry with Ares design in the new 52. I mean come on, this dude is supposed to be the God of War and he just looks like a regular old man you'd see in a bar. There's nothing remotely intimidating about him at all.

#3 Posted by Bruxae (13871 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a pretty new reader so cant say I have much to compare too, but I like most of them, I admit some of them is pretty bad though.

As with Ares mentioned above, I just assumed the current look was a placeholder or something, thats dissapointing.

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5734 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the designs are fantastic. They're really unique, which makes them stand out much more from all those other interpretations of the Greek gods out there. And they're quite clever as well.

Definitely, I'm especially angry with Ares design in the new 52. I mean come on, this dude is supposed to be the God of War and he just looks like a regular old man you'd see in a bar. There's nothing remotely intimidating about him at all.

That's the point, he's a God. He doesn't need to look intimidating, he has nothing to prove, he just is. Plus, he does have another design. It looks like the Gods have two designs: a civilian attire they use to walk among mortals and a "true form" we rarely see.

#5 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1266 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler: i think just like Zeus they can choose what ever form they want

#6 Edited by Nightflash (713 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1266 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightflash: naw his alive he proly doesnt care about what going on earth at the moment he'll proly be back when the 1st born(kratos lol) does some crazy shit

#8 Posted by Pokeysteve (8301 posts) - - Show Bio

Ares used to look so bad ass! Demeter looks good though. I think she's the only one I like the design of. Still hate what they did with them.

#9 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the designs for the most part. My favorites are Hermes, Ares, Apollo, and Demeter. My least favorites are Hades and Poseidon

#10 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

the designs are great..... and they are unique and a fresh breath compared to the other typical representation of the Olympians in popular culture, there design is much more in line with Neil Gaiman's Endless which i personally dig.

#11 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who think some gods look kinda lame in WWs book. Dont get me wrong, its one of my favorite comics but im wondering if others share my opinion.

Even the worst designs of the gods are way better than the old gods

It is not just any dude
Is Brian Azzarello

No kidding, this picture actually comes from Dccomics.com

I think the designs are fantastic. They're really unique, which makes them stand out much more from all those other interpretations of the Greek gods out there. And they're quite clever as well.

@black_claw said:

That's the point, he's a God. He doesn't need to look intimidating, he has nothing to prove, he just is. Plus, he does have another design. It looks like the Gods have two designs: a civilian attire they use to walk among mortals and a "true form" we rarely see.

exactly, they are extremely conceptualized as to what they represent

#12 Posted by SNascimento (441 posts) - - Show Bio

They are perfect.

#13 Edited by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

I think all the Gods are perfect for the story.

#14 Posted by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking of their looks. I can see the reasoning for nearly all of the redesigns except for Hades. Why is he a kid with semi-melted candles on his head? I cannot think of anything related to his mythology or godly responsibilities that would relate to that.

#15 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone of them that look pretty much look human should have an alternate form.

#16 Edited by itheone (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj:

Hera looks hot as hell !!! The best one so far ! And Hades looks like a child. Poseidon is an ugly green toad. All the others look like mutants or aliens except Eros.

#17 Edited by itheone (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: I love the designs for the most part. My favorites are Hermes, Ares, Apollo, and Demeter. My least favorites are Hades and Poseidon.

You forgot Hera, she looks hot as hell and acts like a cocky chick !

#18 Posted by Primebonnick (2188 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea i hate their designs too especially Poseidon, hermes and Ares i mean i can understand that gods can change their form but come on some of them look awful .

#19 Posted by Boynerdgeek (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Hades is badass looks in pre new 52 or in cartoon but new 52 is meh

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (12722 posts) - - Show Bio

I love their designs, all of them

#21 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1148 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually love all of their designs with the exception of Poseidon.

#22 Posted by CSG_CL (934 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the way they are designed in the Azz/Chiang book!

#23 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8865 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not about intimidation, what makes the design great is that it represents the "modern" lord of war. War right now is not about badass soldiers with rippling muscles, it's about men, manipulation, money and engineering conflict. The "lords" of war are pudgy business men selling guns to third world countries, politicians manipulating violence for their own purposes, men in boardrooms spreading violence and hate whiled being totally disconnected from it.

Azarello's Ares is a great representation of the contemporary "Lord of War"

#24 Posted by CSG_CL (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@crom_cruach: or alternatively the current state of war is a great reflection of how Ares has evolved. His transformation between 0 issue and his death was dramatic ... Imagine what that could do to the concept of War in the world! It's one of the reasons I love what Azzarello has done here ... Conceptually it could work either way, or perhaps both ways!

#25 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (739 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Chiang's Hera, Apollo, Artemis, Eros, Hades, Hephaestus and Dionysus. Hate his chicken feet Hermes, fish monster Poseidon and tree lady Demeter. Zeus is a younger regular Zeus with dreadlocks in his hair instead of his beard and Aphrodite is a lazy cop out. Ares is just rabid self promotion and attention whoring. It says "Look at me!" nudge, nudge, wink, wink. It's so blatant it takes me out of the story.

Greg Rucka's update of the gods was less sensational, but made a lot more sense. We didn't get to see enough of his evil 19th century undertaker as Hades, alternative hippy chick Demeter, lap top Athena and battle scared Ares.

#26 Posted by FoamBorn (254 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not about intimidation, what makes the design great is that it represents the "modern" lord of war. War right now is not about badass soldiers with rippling muscles, it's about men, manipulation, money and engineering conflict. The "lords" of war are pudgy business men selling guns to third world countries, politicians manipulating violence for their own purposes, men in boardrooms spreading violence and hate whiled being totally disconnected from it.

Azarello's Ares is a great representation of the contemporary "Lord of War"

That's an interesting interpretation but he looks more like a shrunken hobo than a podgy, warmongering oligarch imo. Azz just wrote himself into the story as Wonder Woman's mentor and it works because it's unexpected, some of us are a bit tired of the homogenous mass of anatomically perfect men and women, Chiang's japanese-y style is such a breath of fresh air.

#27 Posted by Outside_85 (9014 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the designs are great. A unique take on a group of characters that's been used and reused hundreds of times.

#28 Posted by lilben42 (2545 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: @foamborn: Cliff Chiang drew him in as a joke but Ares is supposed to be an old man because Ares is supposed to represent the idea of war. The idea of war is an old and tired idea. With older men creating wars for young people to fight. It's funny because when Apollo and Ares are talking in the beginning all the younger people around are killing each other while this old man is just sitting there. One of the reasons Azzarello is one of the best writers and why Wonder Woman is the best story in the DCU.

#29 Posted by CSG_CL (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42 said:

@scorpio_cassadine: @foamborn: Cliff Chiang drew him in as a joke but Ares is supposed to be an old man because Ares is supposed to represent the idea of war. The idea of war is an old and tired idea. With older men creating wars for young people to fight. It's funny because when Apollo and Ares are talking in the beginning all the younger people around are killing each other while this old man is just sitting there. One of the reasons Azzarello is one of the best writers and why Wonder Woman is the best story in the DCU.

yeah, if you read the interview with Chiang and Azzarello the whole thing with Ares being Azzarello started as a joke ... but it worked so they went with it.

#30 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (2630 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they all look amazing. Cliff Chiang brings a real sense of style to that series.

#31 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10567 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

Honestly I like the symbolism of him being a drunk with power cus of the amount of War going on.

Forgive me if I missed the point to New 52 Ares, I'm barely on volume 3 but that's how I see it

#32 Posted by Outside_85 (9014 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

Honestly I like the symbolism of him being a drunk with power cus of the amount of War going on.

Forgive me if I missed the point to New 52 Ares, I'm barely on volume 3 but that's how I see it

It's more drinking out of bitterness with the current state of things.

#33 Edited by lilben42 (2545 posts) - - Show Bio

@itheone: @boynerdgeek: @seekquaze: Hades is someone starved for love and who better to represent that than a child. As a child we all wanted to be loved we all wanted attention and to be cared for even if you didn't realize it. But Hades is incapable of being loved because he doesn't live himself. There is a scene where WW is padding the hole in her chest and saying it aches. That represents Hades hole inside him that he tries to fill by getting a new queen. When Ww shot him with Eros gun she was trying to get him to love himself while he was looking at his own reflection. It's one of the most symbolic things in Wonder Woman.

#34 Posted by lilben42 (2545 posts) - - Show Bio

@itheone: @seekquaze: @noj: @boynerdgeek:

Hades is someone starved for love and who better to represent that than a child. As a child we all wanted to be loved we all wanted attention and to be cared for even if you didn't realize it. But Hades is incapable of being loved because he doesn't live himself. There is a scene where WW is padding the hole in her chest and saying it aches. That represents Hades hole inside him that he tries to fill by getting a new queen. When Ww shot him with Eros gun she was trying to get him to love himself while he was looking at his own reflection. It's one of the most symbolic things in Wonder Woman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.