Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

God Mode & Swiss Army Bracelets

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

If I'm remembering right, we haven't seen either of these powers since Azz left the book. Do you think they were permanent additions, would you like them to be? Are they only waiting for the appropriate story to return in, like maybe the Darkseid War?

The Finches have made many references to Wonder Woman being the God of War, but why do you think they haven't shown it's upgrades beyond attracting Ares' birds? Do you think she can still summon soldiers from the past, or read their minds?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God mode was mention in JL when grail was kicking the League A$$.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All stupid things that need to go...

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God-mode is permanent and has been shown many times. Most recently Grail mentioned that Diana was stronger without her bracelets. It was shown prominently in Doomed also with Diana using it twice against Superdoom.

Also with her bracelets powers, I recently asked Meredith Finch on twitter if Diana can still summon weapons from them, and she replied that yes Diana can still do it. David Finch also replied that they are gonna show it soon when asked by another user. If you have twitter and are gonna be nice, I suggest you ask them questions, they are really nice and reply most of the times as long as its nothing negative or not a stupid question.

My most recent question to Meredith was if we will see silver over gold anytime soon, and she replied that usually she prefers silver, but she thinks gold works with the new costume.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Meredith has retweeted me before.

Part of the reason I asked these questions is because when Grail broke Diana's bracelets, she didn't go into God Mode.

As much as I hate aspects of the New 52, I do like the new powers and want to see them explained, expanded on, and used more.

That doesn't mean I don't still miss WW's former powers that have apparently disappeared.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Meredith has retweeted me before.

Part of the reason I asked these questions is because when Grail broke Diana's bracelets, she didn't go into God Mode.

As much as I hate aspects of the New 52, I do like the new powers and want to see them explained, expanded on, and used more.

That doesn't mean I don't still miss WW's former powers that have apparently disappeared.

I think she actually has to summon God Mode as we've seen her without the bracelets on a number of occasions and not in GM.

I like the idea of the swiss army bracelets and God Mode makes sense to me as does some of the powers she inherited from Ares (soldier telepathy etc) and I like that she has super breath too ... I assume she still has generally enhanced senses even though it's never been overtly stated in N52.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: I think Wonder Woman stopped glowing when she harnessed that power but I hope they bring it back because I really liked how it looked. And obviously her bracelets are supposed to be indestructible, like maybe they should put this information down in a dossier or something

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

I'm just grateful we're not talking Brie mode and swatches.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think WW beiung god of truth or god of war or god of anything in-between sucks. as for her swords bracelets stuff, I could do ewithout that too. It just adds nothing to me. WW doesn´t need more powers, she actually needs slightly less. I think her power level where she vulnerable to piercing weapons, a little less strong and fast than supes but with warrior skills to compensate is enough. I also like wisdom and animal empathy. It´s cool and all the lightning weapons, but is it really needed? really?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

I think WW beiung god of truth or god of war or god of anything in-between sucks. as for her swords bracelets stuff, I could do ewithout that too. It just adds nothing to me. WW doesn´t need more powers, she actually needs slightly less. I think her power level where she vulnerable to piercing weapons, a little less strong and fast than supes but with warrior skills to compensate is enough. I also like wisdom and animal empathy. It´s cool and all the lightning weapons, but is it really needed? really?

I think it boils down to storytelling. They seem to be trying to make her more "action hero" and powers like super-wisdom and animal empathy aren't as exciting as a sword and god mode. I would like some of the old to make it's way back into the N52 version, but I don't mind where they've gone with her now that they've ironed out some of the violent tendencies from the early going.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead said:

I'm just grateful we're not talking Brie mode and swatches.

The Bella Twins are annoying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: Flatty Arbuckle and Boobs McGillicutty are the worst thing to happen to the Divas division since the Attitude Era ended.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead: Right and the fact that they're getting shoved down our throats every week makes it even worse. Where are the old divas when you need them?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: Well, Victoria/Tara/Lisa Marie Varon owns a wrestling-themed restaurant in Chicago and a motorcycle business with her husband; Lita/Amy Dumas is a judge on WWE Tough Enough, moonlighting as lead singer of a SoCal punk band called the Luchagors, and everyone else has retired for family or the comfortable coolness of obscurity. The WWE Diva division is a waste of time for a woman wanting to make history in professional wrestling. NXT has a better women's roster. I'd also recommend Florida-based SHIMMER and Canada's Northern Championship Wrestling's Femme Fatale division.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead: They retired from WWE so I wouldn't expect anything else. Mickie is planning to return to WWE but she doesn't know when. The divas division was great in the past but it went to waste. I am a huge fan of the NXT women. They're a much better roster and they have the opportunity to showcase all their skills.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jphulk26

@csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:

I think it boils down to storytelling. They seem to be trying to make her more "action hero" and powers like super-wisdom and animal empathy aren't as exciting as a sword and god mode. I would like some of the old to make it's way back into the N52 version, but I don't mind where they've gone with her now that they've ironed out some of the violent tendencies from the early going.

Sure, but she already had a sword, why does it have to be lightning swords that appear from her bracelets? isn´t that over kill. I´d prefer they give that kind of thing to a new villain. If first born could summon any lightning weapon he wanted and had all these lightning based powers, I would have been far more onboard with that. Again, it´s this failure to recognize ww´s problem isn´t the character. The character is the one thing about her mythos that has endured and people seem to love. The problem with ww is her world and the obstacles she faces. They need to build that up, have an idea (like her being ambassador) and stick to it. Then give her a city, and stick to it. And most importantly, take 6 or so of her old villains and make them work, THEN start adding new villians. Just have six, maybe even 3 and just use them in a consistent manner. You already know my choice, but Ares and Dr . Psycho are my top picks. Once they´ve done that they will start to see people more interested in the expansion of her world and alternate takes on the character. How can you have alternate takes on a character, when they have no established status quo to do an alternate take on?

Also what is this wolverine crap on her new costume with the blades from her bracelet? and what is wrong with just giving ww a battle skirt? What is that to objectifying and sexualized. I mean it´s just bizzare. I don´t mind change, but try good change. If you have a genuine idea to improve a superhero, like how Donner came up with the fortress of solitude, or a Crystal Krypton, then do it. But if you´re just throwing S$%& at a wall in hope it sticks, please don´t bother.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:

Sure, but she already had a sword, why does it have to be lightning swords that appear from her bracelets? isn´t that over kill. I´d prefer they give that kind of thing to a new villain. If first born could summon any lightning weapon he wanted and had all these lightning based powers, I would have been far more onboard with that. Again, it´s this failure to recognize ww´s problem isn´t the character. The character is the one thing about her mythos that has endured and people seem to love. The problem with ww is her world and the obstacles she faces. They need to build that up, have an idea (like her being ambassador) and stick to it. Then give her a city, and stick to it. And most importantly, take 6 or so of her old villains and make them work, THEN start adding new villians. Just have six, maybe even 3 and just use them in a consistent manner. You already know my choice, but Ares and Dr . Psycho are my top picks. Once they´ve done that they will start to see people more interested in the expansion of her world and alternate takes on the character. How can you have alternate takes on a character, when they have no established status quo to do an alternate take on?

I'm not married to the lighting swords etc ... but I don't find it off putting either, personally I think it's one of those throw away gimmicks that writers like to use like over-the-top feats such as SM lifting the weight of the Earth for 5-consecutive days. It's neat for a hot minute then it's quickly deemed useless to everyone except a few fans. I doubt it will stick around. God Mode is a deus ex machina device IMO, pretty much gives her another gear to go into when faced with someone like FB or now Grail or Darkseid.

I agree that it's not her characterization that is a problem. Aside from a few bad moments (early JL in N52) I agree with you that she's been pretty consistent as a character. I personally never loved the ambassador thing, it made sense, but it was rather dull most of the time.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:

I'm not married to the lighting swords etc ... but I don't find it off putting either, personally I think it's one of those throw away gimmicks that writers like to use like over-the-top feats such as SM lifting the weight of the Earth for 5-consecutive days. It's neat for a hot minute then it's quickly deemed useless to everyone except a few fans. I doubt it will stick around. God Mode is a deus ex machina device IMO, pretty much gives her another gear to go into when faced with someone like FB or now Grail or Darkseid.

I agree that it's not her characterization that is a problem. Aside from a few bad moments (early JL in N52) I agree with you that she's been pretty consistent as a character. I personally never loved the ambassador thing, it made sense, but it was rather dull most of the time.

its better than spy or corporation owner or even worse, nothing at all. I´m not saying I liked all of it, but it gavce her something to do and could have been developed and made much more sophisticated in a million more ways, than even rucka did.

it could be given several different spins. you may not have liked ruckas spin, but there was million different takes one can have on that same concept. I also liked giving her themyscira house as a base of operation, again a brilliant place where one could set up a really good supporting cast. Transport Argus and Themyscira House to Gateway City, and you already have to iconic building and sights that can match the daily planet or wayne manors. It also was not some carbon copy of any other superhero, it was completely original Diana and made sense with her character. Why wouldn´t she be the ambassador of themyscira. I think it worked way more than anything I have seen before or since. I hated simone making her a spy. that annoyed the hell out of me even though I liked some of her run.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CSG_CL

@jphulk26 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:

its better than spy or corporation owner or even worse, nothing at all. I´m not saying I liked all of it, but it gavce her something to do and could have been developed and made much more sophisticated in a million more ways, than even rucka did.

it could be given several different spins. you may not have liked ruckas spin, but there was million different takes one can have on that same concept. I also liked giving her themyscira house as a base of operation, again a brilliant place where one could set up a really good supporting cast. Transport Argus and Themyscira House to Gateway City, and you already have to iconic building and sights that can match the daily planet or wayne manors. It also was not some carbon copy of any other superhero, it was completely original Diana and made sense with her character. Why wouldn´t she be the ambassador of themyscira. I think it worked way more than anything I have seen before or since. I hated simone making her a spy. that annoyed the hell out of me even though I liked some of her run.

meh, I never liked Gateway City ... thought it was a cheap attempt at giving her a Metropolis/Gotham but it had zero character IMO. Nothing wrong with having her live in a real world city like DC, Boston or London.

Yes it makes sense to have her play the role of Ambassador to Themyscira, but that didn't make it any more interesting to me but to your point it at least gave her a backdrop/homebase, but being original and being worthwhile are different things. I think the spy thing was even worse than the Ambassador role, personally I liked the old days when she had a secret identity, but I'm old school that way.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:

meh, I never liked Gateway City ... thought it was a cheap attempt at giving her a Metropolis/Gotham but it had zero character IMO. Nothing wrong with having her live in a real world city like DC, Boston or London.

Yes it makes sense to have her play the role of Ambassador to Themyscira, but that didn't make it any more interesting to me but to your point it at least gave her a backdrop/homebase, but being original and being worthwhile are different things. I think the spy thing was even worse than the Ambassador role, personally I liked the old days when she had a secret identity, but I'm old school that way.

I´m not being funny, and you know I have no problem with you, but do you like anything? Everything seems to be - meh or a cheap attempt at giving her this or that? If it were up to you when she started being able to fly, you would have been like meh, that´s just a cheap attempt to make her like superman. or a main stable of villain - meh - that just a cheap attempt to give her rogues gallery like Batman and Superman. What kind of argument is that? How can the city have character if you don´t give it a chance to grow and gain character.

You like the old days when she had a secret identity, but what did she do when she had the secret identity, what purpose did it serve, who was she? It just made no sense outside the 40s for her to continue being a secretary in the army, and to maintain that would be idiotic. My point is, pleanty of people wrote Metropolis and Gotham without a character before over time both cities grew and developed a charcater and sense of purpose.

Plenty of people wrote Clark Kent and the daily planet in a very bland way until the characters started to grow and develop. ww is stuck in this perpetual fix-em-up stage and that´s because every writer on her decides to come in with their dumb ideas, change supporting cast, change villains, change city, and it gives anyone who wants to to get into ww such a dizzying sense of virtigo that they end up just giving up.

The fact is the wonder woman I like is not the same as the wonder woman I see in 99% of her publications means I a wonder woman fan, her core demographic has stopped, buying her books. my first introduction to the character was the the animated movie, then I liked perrez, rucka and simone, but the fact of the matter is, when I first saw the animated film, that is the wonder woman I wanted to read, that was the mythology I was interested in. So imagine my dissapointment when I started reading the comics and discovered this WW was nowhere to be found. Then with each WW run I came to like I found the same thing, everything shuffled that I liked, till in the end, I pretty much just gave up. That´s the frustration of anyone new coming to WW. Until they get that right the fanbase will continue to dwindle.

That is why it is crucial that when a writer hits apon something that works for the character, they keep it. The Ambassador thing worked, Etta and Steve work, Ares as villain works, her having a city and base of operations works, the invisible jet does not work, etc. So keep it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.