Gina Carano as JUSTICE LEAGUE's Wonder Woman Speculation

• 132 results
#101 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't agree more that Olivia Wilde would be a horrible choice - she's too wispy. Gemma Arterton would be a solid choice, it's pretty hard to deny that. I'd never heard of Bridget Regan until @joygirl mentioned her, but based on pics alone I think she'd be great - she even has the blue eyes:

A few things to keep in mind, though:

1. There will be a lot riding on either a Justice League film or a Wonder Woman solo movie, so they'll probably want a bankable name, especially since there is so much prejudice against female action films. It's probably no coincidence that the only female Avenger was played by an established female star with a built-in fan base.
  2. With that in mind, casting possibilities are probably broader than we're allowing for here. As far as looking the part, we naturally gravitate to dark haired women, preferably with blue eyes. But a good wig and colored contacts can change that in a heartbeat.
  3. Even if her role in Justice League is small, WB's goal with the property will be to spin-off solo films. Thus, they need a Wonder Woman who can carry a solo franchise. I seriously doubt Gina Carano will ever be able to do that.

Screw it, I'm just going to join team Bridget Regan and hope for the best.

#102 Posted by Dark Cloud™ (2174 posts) - - Show Bio

Gemma Arterton could be Diana, or how about Amber Heard?

#103 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Gemma Arterton all-day err'day.

#104 Posted by darkman61288 (722 posts) - - Show Bio

How about the woman who plays Faora in MoS.

Antje Traue

#105 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: Well, seeing as how she's already in a DC property, it's unlikely they'd cast her as Wonder Woman - unless, in a retcon of epic proportions, it turns out that Wonder Woman was Faora all along. Damn, I shouldn't have typed that - might give WB some bad ideas.

Amber Heard would actually be a pretty decent choice - though I haven't seen her act.

#106 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

lol @ gina carano supporters saying she could work on her acting.... acting comes first.... and gina carano cannot act.. and yes i have seen haywire and fast and furious six.

#107 Edited by The Stegman (23194 posts) - - Show Bio

Well..Carano LOOKS like WW...

But everyone seems to like that Gemma chick so Idk.

#108 Posted by darkman61288 (722 posts) - - Show Bio

How a about Genesis Rodriguez:

#109 Edited by drgnx (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

If you saw fast and Furious 6, then you should kNOw the answer!!!

I'll give you a hint!

#110 Edited by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: Genesis Rodriguez definitely looks the part. Can she act?

I'm looking to jump on a new bandwagon after watching a bit of Legend of Seeker and losing a bit of my faith in Bridget Regan's acting (though in her defense, no one could pull off the dialog in that show - the writing is just awful).

#111 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Gemma Arterton for the JL movie. She has looks of a Greek Goddess and she can do action. She also a nice actor.

#112 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I just saw the Man of Steel movie and I saw no reference to Wonder Woman anywhere.

My picks are still as follows:
Yvonne Strahovski

Olivia Wilde (By the way... I don't get why people say she is too thin. As if only men are capable of bulking up for a movie. She can add muscle mass just like any actor in an action movie.)

Bridget Regan

And the wild card... Gina Carano. She'd need some serious acting coaching before doing the movie though.

#113 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't see her as wonder woman.

#114 Posted by PowerWoman (3337 posts) - - Show Bio

no muscle is bad

#115 Edited by jonnr2222_jones (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: that's crap she can fight all other actresses would look retarded. Gina Is the only choice.

#116 Posted by drgnx (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: that's crap she can fight all other actresses would look retarded. Gina Is the only choice.

That's why they have choreography and stunt doubles!

#117 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. It would be hard for someone to be Wonder Woman without some ability to embody her physicality, but overall there are ways to fill in her fighting with stunt doubles and good editing. I mean, Cavill isn't an MMA fighter, nor is Christian Bale, and they were both convincing as Superman and Batman.

There is no way, though, to fill in acting skills if someone doesn't have them. It can't be done. They need to start with someone who can give the role emotional depth and believability, preferably someone who already looks the part (though wigs and makeup can do wonders - no pun intended). The fighting skills come third.

#118 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmessmer said:

Agreed. It would be hard for someone to be Wonder Woman without some ability to embody her physicality, but overall there are ways to fill in her fighting with stunt doubles and good editing. I mean, Cavill isn't an MMA fighter, nor is Christian Bale, and they were both convincing as Superman and Batman.

There is no way, though, to fill in acting skills if someone doesn't have them. It can't be done. They need to start with someone who can give the role emotional depth and believability, preferably someone who already looks the part (though wigs and makeup can do wonders - no pun intended). The fighting skills come third.

thank you

#119 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (189 posts) - - Show Bio

As we've been debating who could best portray Wonder Woman... I noticed that this issue has come up a lot.

"She's too skinny."

I get it. Women in Hollywood tend to be too frail looking to compete with Christian Bale and Henry Cavill as Batman and Superman. But why do we generally seem to accept that male actors can bulk up for action roles but immediately dismiss female actors as if it is impossible for them to put on muscle? Seems like we could potentially miss out on a great Wonder Woman if we dismiss actresses for currently not having the same muscle mass as Wonder Woman should. It's not like these women haven't bulked up before...

My point is that we shouldn't ignore the possibilities of actresses because they are thin. Obviously if they are really thin then they might not reach Gina Carano level muscles but they can definitely reach a state where they have enough muscle to look imposing and like they can hang with Superman and Batman.

#120 Edited by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. As much as we all focus on someone that looks the part, acting skills should be number one. Hollywood is good at making people look like what they need them to look like. Workouts, wigs, colored contacts, makeup, etc. can take care of the physical stuff - within reason.

#121 Posted by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsdaveyj: Because most of the women that Hollywood studios usually cast also have very small frames and are much shorter than male actors. No matter how much a skinny woman bulks up, she can't make her frame bigger or add inches onto her height. Wonder woman is supposidly listed as 6 feet, 165 pounds. That can be fudged by a couple of inches and a dozen pounds, but I don't want a 5'5", 105 lbs Hollywood starlet to play Wondy.

If there is a Justice League movie, I want Wondy to still look imposing next to 6' Henry Cavill.

#122 Posted by WhineHaus (80 posts) - - Show Bio

It has to be someone who's both a great actress and tough as nails. Unfortunately, a lot of these actresses don't have much aside from looks. I tend to favor more mature actresses such as Angelina Jolie or Charlize Theron. If only she had a mane of jet black hair...

#123 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

Because most of the women that Hollywood studios usually cast also have very small frames and are much shorter than male actors.

This is what concerns me about a Wonder Woman movie in general. You're exactly right, and that trend in actresses speaks to how much the character of Wonder Woman is at odds with how Hollywood likes to depict women. This is why we so desperately need a good Wonder Woman film, but is also why I don't trust Hollywood to get it right.

#124 Posted by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Kate Beckinsale

#125 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (189 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

@itsdaveyj: Because most of the women that Hollywood studios usually cast also have very small frames and are much shorter than male actors. No matter how much a skinny woman bulks up, she can't make her frame bigger or add inches onto her height. Wonder woman is supposidly listed as 6 feet, 165 pounds. That can be fudged by a couple of inches and a dozen pounds, but I don't want a 5'5", 105 lbs Hollywood starlet to play Wondy.

If there is a Justice League movie, I want Wondy to still look imposing next to 6' Henry Cavill.

Well for example a lot of people say no to Olivia Wilde because she is too thin but she's 5'10" or somewhere in that vicinity. So she is tall enough. She just needs to bulk up. Now she naturally has a slim build so she won't end up looking like Gina Carano but I think she can at least gain enough muscle mass to look intimidating and like she can hang with the boys. Not saying Olivia is a good fit for WW (though I think she would be) but I was just using her as an example.

#126 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@digbykong: Kate Beckinsale would have been a good pick a while ago, but she's too old now. She's forty, and the movie doesn't even have a script yet. That means she'd probably be 42-43 in the first movie, and they want this to be part of a long-running franchise, which means she'd still have to be able to do it probably into her 50s. That would be tough to pull off.

#127 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio
#128 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

An unknown actor should be what WB goes for.

#129 Edited by Jack_Omally (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Gina Carano would be the best choice mainly cause she has that mix of beauty and brawn. I think she did great in Haywire. She did what she needed to do in the movie. Ryan Reynolds as the Flash and Idris Elba as John Stewart would be great. Bring in the Martian Manhunter. I don't think this Justice League movie will turn out well. With Avengers you had decisions being made that made sense, like getting a director who did Shakespeare direct Thor and also some that took risks.

#130 Edited by prettywonderboy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

GOD NO!! JUST NO! NO NO NO!!! I understand that gina has the built and the moves for wonder woman. But that's all she has that is wonder woman-ish. Not to sound harsh, but i dont think she has the face and the acting chops to play wonder woman. I'd rather have TAYLOR COLE, ODETTE ANNABLE, GEMMA ARTERTON and even olivia wilde for the role. But NOT gina carano pls

#131 Posted by Black_Claw (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

Gemma Arteton or Bridget Reagan should play WW. Gina Carano couldn't act even if her life depended on it.

#132 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever they get the actress doesn't just need to be fit, but also know how to fight. For Daredevil Jennifer Gardner said she had to go through a year's worth of training. So whoever they get has to go through that unless that person's already fit and know how to fight, like Carano.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.