Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Gal Gadot Interview

• 129 results
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Link-http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/421869-gal-gadot-on-playing-wonder-woman-in-batman-v-superman

When she got the official notice she got Wonder Woman she was in the clouds. Literarily. She was on her way to a job in New York waiting for the answer.

Gal: “I never had to wait so long for a reply. It was a month and a half of torture. It was a crazy roller-coaster. I couldn’t talk about it to anyone. On the day they promised a reply I was flying to NY for another gig. When the plane landed I saw I had a lot of missed calls. I called my agent still sitting in the plane with the belt on. She told me ‘ Congratulations! You got the part.’ During the flight I set next to a really nice man. A scientist from The Weizmann Institute of Science. He talked the entire flight about quantum physics. Now, imagine me, sitting on the plane, looking for a little piece of privacy, burring my head between my legs and starting to scream ‘Oh my god!’ again and again, because I just can’t believe it. Then I hang up the phone and he looks at me like ‘what just happened?’ and asks if everything is alright. I tell him ‘ I can’t really say anything but you will probably read about it tomorrow in the paper.'”

Preparations for the role took many months during which she worked with a personal trainer that taught her everything a super heroin needs to know in order to take down villains.

Gal: “It was very intensive. When I was young I was a real tomboy so I really enjoyed the experience. I see Alma wanting to dress like a princess and put on lipstick and it surprises me. I asked my mom if I was like that too but she said all I wanted back then was to play ball, sweat, and scrape my knees.

Interviewer: “When your casting was announced a lot of comic book nerds said that your body didn’t match Wonder Woman’s.”

Gal: “Don’t be shy. They said that I was too skinny and my boobs were too small.”

She laughs.

Interviewer: “Were you offended?”

Gal: “I’m really lucky nothing in my life was instantaneous. When I was younger I would take criticism really hard. But now it mostly amused me. The true amazons had one boob so it won’t bother them in their archery. So it’s not going to be like real amazons. We always try to make everyone happy but we can’t.

Interviewer: “But isn’t it embarrassing that your breast size became a topic of international discussion?”

Gal: “No. After they asked me here, In Israel, if I have eating disorders and why am I so skinny, they said my head was too big and my body was like a broomstick I can take anything. It’s just empty talk. I understand that part of what I’m doing means being exposed. And part of being exposed is being under fire (criticism).”

Interviewer: “Between all this you have a career to run. You are on the fast track to be a comic and action start. How important is it for you not to be taken as just an action star?”

Gal: “I will never take for granted the job I have right now. (she actually said ‘I will never spit into the well from which I drink from’. It’s a phrase in Hebrew that means she won’t make fun or look poorly on what she is doing right now. I forgot the equivalent in English ). Playing Wonder Women is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can’t describe to you how much I wanted to play this character without even knowing I wanted to play her. I met a lot of people from the industry in LA for meetings. They always asked me ‘what’s your dream role?’, and I never could define it. I always answered that I wanted to play a women that is strong and will be a source for women empowerment. I don’t want to play a damsel in distress that needs to be saved. I don’t like it when women in the movies are shown as the victims. I always thought that if I could send out a massage I want to show the strong side of a woman and how she can handle tough situations.”

Interviewer: “Someone heard your prayers.”

Gal: “Yes, I get to play the strongest most empowering woman ever – Wonder Woman. I’m so grateful and I thank god every day. I want to devour it and enjoy every bite. “

Interviewer: “By the way, what are Wonder Woman’s powers?”

Gal: “She has unbelievable endurance. She is exceptionally strong. She can jump really high and practically fly. She know tons of martial arts styles. She is a strong and serious Woman.”

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That was very interesting

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I think I've seen this before

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Saint_Sophie

wasn't it javelin or spear throwing that made the Amazons only have one boob?

Orherwise, interesting interview.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All those evil internet-dwelling comic-book-reading nerds remarking how enviably thin she is, how deeply scarring that must've been. I'm doing a fun run dressed as a bottle of cinzano, for all the poor ex beauty pageant winners whose only reward for sharing a selfie, is a sh!tstorm of internet rage...

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice professionalism she showed. But, I'm concerned not on her body but her execution of "The strongest most empowering woman ever – Wonder Woman."

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I honestly don't even know why she keeps bringing that up. It has no weight in this argument.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@saint_sophie said:

I honestly don't even know why she keeps bringing that up. It has no weight in this argument.

Has less because Amazons never existed they are fictional.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

No but they were inspired by real scythian warrior women that fought alongside their husbands against the greeks, many of whom were archers given that shooting arrows doesn't require a great deal of strength. However the Dahomey Amazons fought in close combat and were reportedly very good at it.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I'm happy that she's so assertive, it's kinda reassuring for who shes playing, hope that translates. Her performance is all that matters to me.

@br_havoc said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@saint_sophie said:

Not so much they don't exist but more that she's playing Wonder Woman who comes from a land of amazons with two boobs.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping saying that she can "practically fly" is a mistranslation. It would be disappointing to see a Wonder Woman who could only "fall with style". Maybe she'll get the ability to fly later, but I'd rather her have the ability from the very beginning rather then getting a blessing from Hermes.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping saying that she can "practically fly" is a mistranslation. It would be disappointing to see a Wonder Woman who could only "fall with style". Maybe she'll get the ability to fly later, but I'd rather her have the ability from the very beginning rather then getting a blessing from Hermes.

And what if the first Wonder Woman movie is really set in 1920's and she's an undercover agent that knows "tons of martial arts", that makes me think Wonder Woman will be Captain America kind of strong as well.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@muffin_sangria said:

And what if the first Wonder Woman movie is really set in 1920's and she's an undercover agent that knows "tons of martial arts", that makes me think Wonder Woman will be Captain America kind of strong as well.

That'd be nightmare! :O I mean, if they want to impact viewers they should make her big but progressive as the time her solo movie comes out and later the succeeding JL movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblondegod: @foamborn: I hope they allow her to fly because that is one of her main advantages in combat. We don't need to see a Lynda Carter version again. Wonder Woman is suppose to be DC's strongest female so she needs to be portrayed as it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#18 vance_astro  Moderator

Even if she's just ok as Wonder Woman I hope the first film does well enough that another is certain or that they then won't be afraid to try using other superheroines as leads. I hope the same for Cyborg.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm fine with WW not flying. It's kinda like the animated movie. Plus, I hope they take from New 52 and have her blessed with flight by Hermes in a solo film.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblondegod: @foamborn: I hope they allow her to fly because that is one of her main advantages in combat. We don't need to see a Lynda Carter version again. Wonder Woman is suppose to be DC's strongest female so she needs to be portrayed as it.

I think that's kinda been a struggle with adapting Wonder Woman. She's supposed to be on of the most powerful people in the world, but I think her stories actually work a little better in a world where the gap between the most powerful people, and the normal people is a bit smaller.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope she does great. and her body is coming along nicely.

she's about 5 or 10 pounds of muscle away from looking like wonder woman

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they revealed the costume I got a sneaking suspicion that she wasn't gonna fly in Dawn of Justice, it's not the end of the world but I hope she gets the ability to fly in subsequent movies. They could have it that flight is a late-developing power or something.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Nope. Wonder Woman has curves and blue eyes, two features Gal Gadot doesn't posses.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@somayareece said:

When they revealed the costume I got a sneaking suspicion that she wasn't gonna fly in Dawn of Justice, it's not the end of the world but I hope she gets the ability to fly in subsequent movies. They could have it that flight is a late-developing power or something.

Possibly this, but half possibility is also that she'll fly. We don't know yet, we aren't given any hints :(

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheBlondeGod

@agent41 said:

@muffin_sangria said:

@somayareece said:

I think that's kinda been a struggle with adapting Wonder Woman. She's supposed to be on of the most powerful people in the world, but I think her stories actually work a little better in a world where the gap between the most powerful people, and the normal people is a bit smaller.

No. Wonder Woman is a powerhouse and most of her best stories are those that show different sides of her including her amazing power. A good movie has to show her personality,her goals,her fears and her big power level as a badass legendary warrior. We need every side of her to be explored to have a balanced story.

I'm quite scared for her solo film... I hope, after so many years, we will be able to see a good execution of Wonder Woman.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SodamYat

@sodamyat said:

Nope. Wonder Woman has curves and blue eyes, two features Gal Gadot doesn't posses.

Nope. Blue contact and the pictures i posted and boom.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pictures you posted had NO curves and I'll bet there won't be any contacts either. The producers wouldn't have hired her in the first place if they cared at all about being faithful to the comics.

That's why she's wearing a bootleg Xena suit and won't fly.

No Caption Provided

They don't care.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly this, but half possibility is also that she'll fly. We don't know yet, we aren't given any hints :(

There's also info leaked by someone that allegedly works for WB claiming Wonder Woman will fly the invisible plane so don't count on it.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real Amazons didn't cut off one breast. Even if they did, we want her to look like the fictional Amazons, so it's irrelevant.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@scorpio_cassadine: Who gives a shyte whether or not she'll have blue eyes scorpio

See this why we have problems, stop cursing at me. That was completely unnecessary, I ignored the last disrespectful post you made towards me and here you are again trolling. Climb back under your bridge.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I find it irritating that Superman fans get an actor who looks exactly like him, but we have to put up with whomever they could find without looking very hard.

No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as if we didnt have ways to make people have different colored eyes.. are some of you not old enough to know what colored contacts are?

here, that was easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder woman won't be able to fly in the movie?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's photoshop and that boney broad still looks nothing like Wonder Woman. I've seen plenty of blue contacts and they always look fake and a little weird, never natural.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW fans are a whiny bunch.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SodamYat

very. just look at scorpios comments

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: I don't remember being rude to you but I apologize anyway. It irritates me too that they get nothing less than perfection and we get someone that's only half way there and that we're continuously bullied for pointing that out on top of it.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: She most likely won't, thank god Wonder Woman flying makes no sense.

@scorpio_cassadine: Erm you do realise that Xena is inspired by Wonder Woman. You do know that Wonder Woman dressed in America colours makes no sense right. What does make sense is a Wonder Woman who's closer to Greek mythology.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@jayc1324: She most likely won't, thank god Wonder Woman flying makes no sense.

@scorpio_cassadine: Erm you do realise that Xena is inspired by Wonder Woman. You do know that Wonder Woman dressed in America colours makes no sense right. What does make sense is a Wonder Woman who's closer to Greek mythology.

You do realize Wonder Woman has dressed in American/Amazonian colors since her debut right? It makes perfect sense to me, if not to you, then you apparently haven't read enough explanations why.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: that's a weak reason if you're making a film because Themyscera doesn't even resemble America. You'll have the audience think wha???

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

There's ALWAYS some non WW fan coming in here telling us what's wrong with our favorite character. You ALWAYS want to change something, as if that would suddenly make you a fan, when you really wouldn't care about her no matter what DC does. What kills me is, I've bought every issue for 30 years, DC should be catering to me. Not some newbie that doesn't have a clue and only has an ax to grind. It's a matter of respect, if you don't like Wonder Woman the way she was intended, stfu and get off her board.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@scorpio_cassadine said:

The pictures you posted had NO curves and I'll bet there won't be any contacts either. The producers wouldn't have hired her in the first place if they cared at all about being faithful to the comics.

That's why she's wearing a bootleg Xena suit and won't fly.

No Caption Provided

They don't care.

Xena takes a lot from Wonder Woman so this comparison doesn't work. WW came in 1941 and she has used greek battle armors way before Xena was created.

Yes, what's your point? My point is those Greek armors were always red, white and blue or gold...not a rusty sepia tone like Xena's. Why should the original dress like the knock-off?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rogueshadow  Moderator

I don't give a sh*t about how hot she is, how big her breasts are, or what colour her eyes are, as long as she looks like she can kick ass, when she's stood next to the monsters that are Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck she needs to look like she belongs. So far, I'm simply not seeing that.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't give a sh*t about how hot she is, how big her breasts are, or what colour her eyes are, as long as she looks like she can kick ass, when she's stood next to the monsters that are Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck she needs to look like she belongs. So far, I'm simply not seeing that.

I hold off my judgement until I see the movie, or the trailer at least. I already know that Wonder Woman won't have a big role in BvS but hopefully, she perform well enough that it gets people interested in her solo movie. Her acting skills leave a lot to be desired too so I hope she takes up some acting classes and take some tips from great actresses because Athena knows she needs them.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: but people are complaining as if she has always had that ability. It's not that big of a deal if WW doesn't fly, because the team will have Superman, Green Lantern & Cyborg who can already fly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.