Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Finch interview on WW

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm excited about the prospect of focusing on the human aspect of Wonder Woman, but the run wont be starting until November. I'm happy for the new focus.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Outside_85

No, but the pose makes me wonder if she's a contortionist.... and I am not quite sure I want to see an x-ray scan of Diana's head, the back looks to be bulging.

Seriously though, I am saddened by reading this. Not only is (apparently from this interview) Meredith's only qualification to write Wonder Woman, is that she is a woman and her husband is a well known artist (the usual industry nepotism). Which sounds about to be the same kind of logic that's keeping Nocenti on Catwoman despite it being appalling on every conceivable level aside the covers. That is one thing.

The other thing... yes, lets be inspired by a 30 year old TV show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Sounds dreadful.

No, but the pose makes me wonder if she's a contortionist.... and I am not quite sure I want to see an x-ray scan of Diana's head, the back looks to be bulging.

Serously though, I am saddened by reading this. Not only is (apparently from this interview) Meredith's only qualification to writer Wonder Woman, is that she is a woman and her husband is a well known artist (the usual industry nepotism). Which sounds about to be the same kind of logic that's keeping Nocenti on Catwoman despite it being appalling on every conceivable level aside the covers. That is one thing.

She probably has friends that are higher ups at DC.. or maybe they are waiting for something good to happen from it. Shes written good stuff before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Art looks weird. Head is too big in the back and I'm not sure what's going on with her arm after her shoulder.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Sounds dreadful.

@outside_85 said:

Serously though, I am saddened by reading this. Not only is (apparently from this interview) Meredith's only qualification to writer Wonder Woman, is that she is a woman and her husband is a well known artist (the usual industry nepotism). Which sounds about to be the same kind of logic that's keeping Nocenti on Catwoman despite it being appalling on every conceivable level aside the covers. That is one thing.

She probably has friends that are higher ups at DC.. or maybe they are waiting for something good to happen from it. Shes written good stuff before.

I thought she'd only ever written one issue before?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By BR_Havoc

I asked David about this months ago said it was only a rumor and there was no truth to it. But I guess bleeding cool was right again. This is just more nepotism at DC his wife is not a writer so why does she get this book? When there are talented female writers out there trying to break into the big two.

With Azz leaving and this interview I'm bowing out as well.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By redwingx

Story looks promising. I like the art to but WW is to skinny tbh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

Sounds dreadful.

@outside_85 said:

Huh? Shes written a ton of Catwoman?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @dagmar_merrill said:

Sounds dreadful.

@outside_85 said:

Oh your talking about Nocenti, I thought you were talking about the new WW writer lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @dagmar_merrill said:

Sounds dreadful.

@outside_85 said:

Oh your talking about Nocenti, I thought you were talking about the new WW writer lol

Nah, I don't even think I will give it a chance, it really does sound dreadful.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just going off the article it all sounds good to me. I'm a little worried about them focusing on her flaws though. Flaws aren't a bad thing but its just a question of execution on the writers part. Meredith is still a big unknown but I'm going to stay hopeful till tge comic comes out. I'm also wondering if the bit about wanting to appeal to women is just talk. That's pretty much a demographic DC abandoned a long time ago.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Squalleon

I don't like Finch's art.

As for Meredith I haven't read anything from her and I am quite surprised DC gave her such a big task.

Since the New 52 Wonder Woman managed to became a title of both quality and quantity for DC. The Wonder Woman franchise may be more alive than ever with Sensation Comics, Wonder Woman and Superman/WonderWoman, but it is still very fragile, so one wrong move by DC and this can be easily undone. Giving the reins to the Finches could prove dissasterous, Finch's art is a hit or miss, oversexualized something Chiang never did on Wonder Woman and many don't like it, so they could as well alienate half of WW's fanbase and again Meredith is unexperienced to take over after freaking Azzarello!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks much too young in this depiction ... More Wonder Girl than WW ... Add a bit of muscle to her frame and a little maturity to her face so she looks mid/late 20s at least. I'm also not in love with having her tote around a shield, I've always thought that was pretty stupid given her bracelets are indestructible and much more practical for someone who is fighting hand to hand. What good is the shield bringing? Even the sword is a bit much if they are truly looking to explore her human side.

I am sad that nepotism at DC could be why a woman got the job of writing Wonder Woman ... It's a sad irony if it's the case. I hope Meredith Finch earned this job through hard work and a good idea presented to DC rather than because her husband is an artist the project. I will, as always, support the character and hold my decision on continuing to read the solo title until after the first completed story arc by the Finches. It's a catch-22 as I feel like I'll buy the book to support the continuation of WW as a solo series, even if I don't like the way the writer may have gotten the job.

I'm a little apprehensive that a novice writer (nepotism or not) will be handed the reigns of WW at such a pivotal time ... Azzarello left many aspects of N52 WW's origin very vague I. Order to focus on the story he wanted to tell ... Finch may well end up writing the canon history for the Amazon's and Diana for the N52 and could be left explaining god-mode, clay-baby cover-up and (re)introducing iconic villains. All with what appears to be a passing familiarity with the 70+ year history of WW. I loved the Lynda Carter TV show as a kid, never missed an episode, but that version of Diana was deeply flawed in comic history ... Wonder Girl's name was Drusilla for crying out loud, not to mention Diana's power-nerfing (most likely this was due to technical capabilities at the time). She could not fly and had very minor superhuman strength ... One of the least physically powerful versions of WW in history. May as well say WW from the Superfriends was her introduction, but at least that version held to some of the GA WW powers and history.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArchiZoom

It's bizarre to say the least that David Finch, notorious for his male gaze and un-female-friendly style, who not so long ago produced a controversial cover for Justice League featuring a 14 year old Wonder Woman, was chosen to succeed Chiang in drawing the world's most iconic female super heroine. I don't understand the rationale behind this appointment

No Caption Provided

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: wait there was controversy for that variant? i nvr heard of it hell this is news to me anyway what with the tweet

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Outside_85

@agent41: It's DC that doesn't have a clue about what to do with her, all the writers have a very set idea of who they think she is, but they don't coordinate between themselves.

@darknightspideyfanboy: This one:

No Caption Provided

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: i know but there was controversy over that variant lol the thought of it is funny

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I read this earlier and I'm really excited for it. Azz's run has been so boring aside from First Born appearances. Chiang's art is kind of plain too. Not bad, understand, just plain, but not bad at all. Finch has some good stuff here and there.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: There was some controversy, an artist named Kelly Turnbull even drew these click. The tweet is just unreal. Superman by Romita Jr. was pretty awful and as far as female characters go David Finch is the very bottom of the barrel. These guys can't hold a candle to the likes of Chiang, Staples, Samnee or Takara

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: dude that was minuscule hell people leaving dc now that was a controversy or the forever evil and superman unchain delay. Chaing and Takara yes the other two no ty.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Outside_85

@darknightspideyfanboy: There was some controversy, an artist named Kelly Turnbull even drew these click. The tweet is just unreal. Superman by Romita Jr. was pretty awful and as far as female characters go David Finch is the very bottom of the barrel. These guys can't hold a candle to the likes of Chiang, Staples, Samnee or Takara

It's kinda like the same sort of controversy/complaints thats come with the Avengers main poster; all the men look rugged and ready for battle... Black Widow on the other hand is posed in a way so we get the best view of her ass.

That said, while art is subjective and Didio has an obligation to talk up all of his products, I cant get behind that tweet you had posted earlier. Capullo is fine for Batman, its a case where style and subject go well together. Reis would be fine for JL for the same reasons, if the images weren't all so bloody dark. Fintch... honestly I think his characters are all aesthetically challenged one way or the other, the inks and colors make everything extremely murky and all in all I think he's best suited to make covers like this one:

No Caption Provided

That is an example of a great Fintch piece to me. Sadly, it's more likely going to end up like this on a regular basis (and lets not forget DC's first massive event in nearly 3 years had it's last issue delayed 2-3 months with him on art duty, though there are other people to blame for that):

Looks like 3 different pieces put on top of each other
    Looks like 3 different pieces put on top of each other

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Seriously though, I am saddened by reading this. Not only is (apparently from this interview) Meredith's only qualification to write Wonder Woman, is that she is a woman and her husband is a well known artist (the usual industry nepotism). Which sounds about to be the same kind of logic that's keeping Nocenti on Catwoman despite it being appalling on every conceivable level aside the covers. That is one thing.

This and

@br_havoc said:

I asked David about this months ago said it was only a rumor and there was no truth to it. But I guess bleeding cool was right again. This is just more nepotism at DC his wife is not a writer so why does she get this book? When there are talented female writers out there trying to break into the big two.

With Azz leaving and this interview I'm bowing out as well.

This sums up my views very well. Better than I could do it probably. There are so many more better female writers and artists (male or female) that could write this yet we have an inexperienced female writer going back to the 1970s show and an artist whose recent work was pretty bad in comparison to what he has done before. It seems Wonder Woman will be experiencing a fall of grace from the quality writing of Olympic proportions to a creative team of hellish proportions in comparison.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @dagmar_merrill said:

Sounds dreadful.

@outside_85 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @dagmar_merrill said:

Sounds dreadful.

@outside_85 said:

Yep same here

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read this earlier and I'm really excited for it. Azz's run has been so boring aside from First Born appearances. Chiang's art is kind of plain too. Not bad, understand, just plain, but not bad at all. Finch has some good stuff here and there.

So basically you're excited for a run from a creative team that's only there because Finch is a big player at DC and his wife is a woman? Because that's the only justification Finch himself gives that his wife is qualified to write this Wonder Woman series. Not to mention that they're moving backwards in taking inspiration from the 1970s rather than moving forwards like Azzarello has been doing. But of course, this is much better than Azzarello's innovative, creative take on the Wonder Woman mythos combined with Chiang's fluid, expertly rendered and nowhere near oversexualised artwork. Gimme a break, Azz's run has been 10 times better than this and any other WW story outside of Perez and Rucka's respective runs.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finch draws Diana's face completely identical to how he draws Dick Grayson's face. I'm actually rather aroused by that... O_O

And yes, wifey obviously got the job because her husband's on art duty and DC seems to think that all you need is a vagina to relate to Wonder Woman (the same logic for why Nocenti is on Catwoman, as has been mentioned in above comments). Doesn't mean that there isn't a possibility she could do a great job though. We'll just have to wait and see.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@agent41: It's DC that doesn't have a clue about what to do with her, all the writers have a very set idea of who they think she is, but they don't coordinate between themselves.

@darknightspideyfanboy: This one:

No Caption Provided

God, that's awful. How the hell did that go to print without someone saying something?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
    Doesn't mean that there isn't a possibility she could do a great job though.

While that is possible, Meredith is hitting the ground running with a character we know from the New 52 is notoriously difficult to get right. Add to this that she is almost as green as spring leaves when it comes to writing comics and taking over from an Eisner-winning veteran.

While not as important, I would have thought that entering into comic-writing buisness/company, it would make sense to let one try a book that doesn't have huge expectations to it and have a kind of mentor to help out initially (See Tynion/Snyder). Right now Meredith is essentially an engineer fresh out of the academy and handed a huge bridge she has to handle on her own.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@outside_85: I said it was possible, not probable. I have my doubts as well.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Technically his pencils are good so I'm cautiously optimistic about the technical quality of his work. I've seen his black and whites, they were very decent yet the final colored ones in Forever Evil were unsightly so I blame the fiasco on the colorist. If Wonder Woman looks anything like that I'll drop the book without a second thought so I'm hoping we'll get a top-notch colorist on Wonder Woman. Obviously he's grim-n-gritty busy cheesecake style doesn't suit Wonder Woman, he's the co-creator of White Bunny, he draws women disproportionately and they all very much look the same - young with a massive pair of boobs, plump lips, wide hips, empty eyes and always doing the booty tooch - he should be on the bottom of the list. As for Meredith, I'm skeptical, I'll judge her later.

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give it a chance!!! This is why Wonder Woman doesn't have as many fans as Superman and Batman,most of you bale out on her before anything even starts that has to do with her.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wtk1013: if there one character who needs better fan it is wonder woman

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wtk1013 said:

Just give it a chance!!! This is why Wonder Woman doesn't have as many fans as Superman and Batman,most of you bale out on her before anything even starts that has to do with her.

Because Superman and Batman can keep a consistent tones for for their books for decades, Wonder Woman apparently cant be allowed to keep one between different writers. Also not helped is how only the superstars get to writer those two, while WW gets the noob.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@pokeysteve said:

So basically you're excited for a run from a creative team that's only there because Finch is a big player at DC and his wife is a woman? Because that's the only justification Finch himself gives that his wife is qualified to write this Wonder Woman series. Not to mention that they're moving backwards in taking inspiration from the 1970s rather than moving forwards like Azzarello has been doing. But of course, this is much better than Azzarello's innovative, creative take on the Wonder Woman mythos combined with Chiang's fluid, expertly rendered and nowhere near oversexualised artwork. Gimme a break, Azz's run has been 10 times better than this and any other WW story outside of Perez and Rucka's respective runs.

Lol did you even read the frickin article?!?!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: Yes I did. Nothing special on offer, nothing particularly interesting nor unexpected. I fail to see how you'd prefer this dull transition compared to Azzarello's superior run on the character. If you'd care to enlighten me, I'd be all ears for your reasons.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Because not everyone enjoyed Azzarello's run. I'd say @pokeysteve is right in saying that the run been pretty boring. The whole thing has just been pointlessly drawn out much more then what's necessary.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Because not everyone enjoyed Azzarello's run. I'd say @pokeysteve is right in saying that the run been pretty boring. The whole thing has just been pointlessly drawn out much more then what's necessary.

Given that it's received critical acclaim, made people even more interested in Wonder Woman than ever before and given her new fans and a new outlook...you guys are in the massive minority. I've had encounters with Wonder Woman purists before on here and across the net whining and whinging about everything Azzarello is doing wrong when the only real problem is the Amazons being rapists. That's it, I can't find any other area to complain about. It's been my favourite New 52 title for so many reasons and it does a lot of good to the character that you willingly ignore it would seem.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SilverPool

I'm optimistic about this. I like Finch's drawings, but am still skeptical about this. His wife is inexperienced and he can either make great drawings or bad ones out of, what seems like, laziness (making characters look the same for example).

I think that pic you posted is pretty good. Her face does look a bit too young, but other than that I think it's good.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to give these two 1 issue to win me over.

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Thats what annoys me, DC says Superman,Batman,and Wonder Woman are the Trinity but its clear they aren't equal.Superman and Batman are but they make Wonder Woman out to be a 3rd wheel and the "not so popular one ", I just wish they would stabilize her and make her an equal part and put moe effort into her.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: "Finch's dull run". "Azz's superior run".

Well for starters not one damn word of Finch's "dull run" has even been read yet. Kind of jumping the the gun a bit, no?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: Fine but you haven't offered reasons why you don't like Azzarello's run. Don't just nitpick with my error in semantics.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@wtk1013 said:

Wonder WOman doesn't have as much fans as Batman and SUperman because the people that write her never stay consistent. Every writer that takes her under his shoulder tries to make something way more different than the previous writer and just forgets what has already been done. And the same will be applied here with Meredith starting to write Diana after Azz, she will just ignore what has happened so far with the character and will just tie her up with the rest of the DC universe instead of sticking with what Azzarello did which worked out perfectly for the character.

Also,when the Wonder Woman fans are getting an amazing creative team with amazing new ideas to refresh the boring,old Wonder WOman universe they just say that the take is boring just because there is a lot of characterization and story development instead of big fights in every single issue and have a few speach bubbles.

And we are talking about giving chances here,yeah right!

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@muffin_sangria said:

Given that it's received critical acclaim, made people even more interested in Wonder Woman than ever before and given her new fans and a new outlook...you guys are in the massive minority. I've had encounters with Wonder Woman purists before on here and across the net whining and whinging about everything Azzarello is doing wrong when the only real problem is the Amazons being rapists. That's it, I can't find any other area to complain about. It's been my favourite New 52 title for so many reasons and it does a lot of good to the character that you willingly ignore it would seem.

Well that is arguably the biggest problem, but there have been plenty of other changes that were offensive on at least a symbolic level and didn't seem to serve any purpose other then to troll the old fans. Sure the new origin might be tied to the current plot but if he had applied himself as a writer surely he could have engaged her in this plot without abandoning the more interesting classic origin that actually fit in with the symbolism that the character represents.

Same thing goes with Ares since the only real purpose it seems to serve is to take away from the Amazons as the source of her fight skills. Making Ares into her mentor and then martyring himself for their cause was a stupid way to go with her former archenemy. Making him her enemy who becomes a reluctant ally who then martyrs himself would have been a much more interesting way to go. Either that or making him her mentor and having him betray her. That would still take away from the importance of the Amazons in training her but at least it would have been an interesting way to have gone with Ares as a character.

And of course there is also the issue of the Amazons being baby killers, and rapist. I get that he wants to show that the Amazons aren't a true utopia, but he took it too far. Other writers in the past have done a good job of showing the flaws in Amazons society, but with they way he has handled it they've become a bunch of savages that could have never raised up a virtuous hero like Wonder Woman.

There are also just the general flaws in the run that go beyond the changes. Like I said the comic is just boring. He's taken too much focus away from Diana as the protagonist to keep me engaged. He's also taken what is at most two years worth material and stretched it out over three. Add onto that that there are no discernible story arcs within the run. I suppose he was trying to build suspense with this but all he's really achieved is making a comic that's a big frustrating mess to read. I'd also like to point out that there is absolutely nothing connecting this comic to the horror genre despite all his claims that that's what he was going for.

I'd also like to point out that the comic is no where near a successful as you seem to think it is. Sure it's brought in some new fans but Wonder Woman isn't selling any more comics then it did before so obvious the comic has scared away just as many of the old fans. And critics of any medium have been known to make some pretty dumb calls.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@pokeysteve: Fine but you haven't offered reasons why you don't like Azzarello's run. Don't just nitpick with my error in semantics.

well technically he's nitpicking your error in timeline not semantics (JK), assuming you are not a psychic :) ...

Only real issue I have with Azzarello is that he's drawn out the story arc for too long. I wouldn't even care about that if he'd spent more time during the run dedicated to some background and insight into Diana's past and the Amazon culture. It's like he's got it so firmly in his own head that he hasn't bothered to put it into canon. I'm worried that a novice is about to jump in and write the history of the Amazon's and flush out Diana's origin ... or worse will start retconning just to put her stamp on the character. Perhaps I'm being totally unfair to Ms. Finch, but from the one interview her commentary seemed to be greatly lacking in the history of WW.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Personally, I've found the long run story arcs to be consistently engaging and capable of keeping my attention with every issue. There's a lot of plots juggled by Azz so it's not a massive waste of time like other titles can be. But likewise, I share a fear that Ms Finch's understanding of Wonder Woman is severely limited by certain previous conceptions of the character e.g the 1970s TV show. That's not a reliable enough source to base a new WW run on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.