Favorite Covers

#1 Posted by dmessmer (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I was curious what people would consider the best Wonder Woman covers of all time. I've attached a few that I think are pretty great. Anyone else care to chime in with nominees?

#2 Posted by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

When I came upon this on tumblr I died. This gif marries 2 of my favorite things in the world: Gifs and Chiang's Wonder Woman.

#3 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (2152 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite

Cliff Chiang, a damn good artist.

#4 Posted by dmessmer (365 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizoom: That is pretty awesome. @captainmarvel4ever: those are all good, too. I was ambivalent about Azzarello, but Chiang was always top-notch. I still think issue 23 had the best cover of all of them (and was the best issue of the New 52, period - cover and insides alike).

#5 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1231 posts) - - Show Bio

not out yet but i thought it look awesome

#6 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (2152 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmessmer: I'm new to Wonder Woman, but for me, her book has been the best thing I'm reading in the New 52 so far.

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (7049 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: I don't know what it is about that second cover (#27), maybe it's all the yellow. But its so eye catching. I'd been a lapsed reader and that cover made me jump back on Azzarello's Wonder Woman. I would love to have a print of that framed.

#9 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (2152 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: I would want #22 as a poster (it already looks like one).

#10 Edited by longbowhunter (7049 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: Your right it does. I watched a Brian Azzarello interview earlier. Behind him there were about dozen 11x17 WW covers displayed. Mass produce those DC Direct.

#11 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (727 posts) - - Show Bio

^ The first appearance of a sword?

^My personal fave from the Odyssey and it had some great covers. I loved how she looked like a rock star.

#14 Posted by dshipp17 (981 posts) - - Show Bio

not out yet but i thought it look awesome

Where will that cover be featured? What issue, the next issue? Seems like you have some inside information.

#15 Posted by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by dshipp17 (981 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1231 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: the issue that came out today is for the month of may though so the next is for the month of June, that will be released in April for some reason

#19 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: the issue that came out today is for the month of may though so the next is for the month of June, that will be released in April for some reason

Publishers, of all sorts of periodicals, would post a month on the cover to tell the retailers how long the book should remain on the stands. I'm not so sure how relevant that is today, with direct market ordering and return deals, but that was it's original purpose.

#20 Edited by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I just about busted a gut over this one! I have to read this!

#21 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

@super-wonder: I busted a gut too! I really have to read this. My favorite thing about Silver Age DC is how much gorillas were featured. It's hilarious!

And interested about the cover dates. I didn't know that. I know they ripped of part of the cover to send back to the publisher if the book didn't sell back in the day (my copy of Batman #181 is actually like that), but didn't know the purpose for the cover dates being a few months off.

#22 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: Could you imagine if internet belly-aching was around back then . . . I wonder if fandom would go along with the joke or rage on as we know it today?

Yeah, this topic came up a last year with Superman's Birthday as a couple of sites were trying to find the right timing of Action Comics #1 release in 1938. Yet now I can't find my source for that comment so I might just be talking out of my ass. . .

#23 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

@super-wonder: I know a lot of the DC Comics back then were like this though I do remember reading something about how there was an award thing in a fanzine or something made up of DC fans at the time and Wonder Woman got most of the negativity out of all the DC books so I guess there was rage over it.

I think the Action Comics #1 release in 1938 would've been published in April then. Since the comics nowadays are two months ahead of the actual release as far as the date on the cover and I remember reading somewhere that Whiz Comics #1 (first appearance of Captain Marvel (Shazam)) was released in December of 1939 with a cover date of February 1940.

#24 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: LOL fan rage! maybe it's a part of comics like water and air are a part of life?

That's interesting about the Wiz Comics #1, 1939 was a good year for comics :)

#25 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8173 posts) - - Show Bio

@super-wonder: I busted a gut too! I really have to read this. My favorite thing about Silver Age DC is how much gorillas were featured. It's hilarious!

And interested about the cover dates. I didn't know that. I know they ripped of part of the cover to send back to the publisher if the book didn't sell back in the day (my copy of Batman #181 is actually like that), but didn't know the purpose for the cover dates being a few months off.

For real! Marvel and DC had a weird thing with Gorillas.

#26 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

@super-wonder: Fan rage is part of comics. Can't be a comic without a dose of fan rage XD I wonder if there was any prominent fan rage in the Golden Age of Comics.

1939 is great year for comics. Batman first appeared along with the Sandman. Plus, I know the Flash (Jay Garrick), Hawkman, the Spectre, Johnny Thunder, and Hugo Strange all had February 1940 dates on there covers meaning that they too probably would've first appeared in 1939! :D

#27 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (596 posts) - - Show Bio

I just bought a copy of this one today.

#28 Posted by dmessmer (365 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.