Fatherhood? -- Short Blog #1

Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been thinking about whether I like Wonder Woman's new Fatherhood. It should be no suprise to those of you who are reading the series that Wonder Woman now is no longer made of clay by her Mother and does, in fact, have a father. I didn't want to spoil it, but it'll come out through the blog eventually and those of you who have any interest in the character have already found out. So the thing is, her father is Zeus.

This bring two point of interest to the table --, 1. She now has a father (Duh ReVamp) 2. She's pretty much stolen Wondergirl's Origin.

For the first one, I think I like the idea of her having a father, it will add some dynamic to her stories and hopefully take a book in a direction that is more intertwined with the Greek Mythology that the character and its mythos takes from. Having a father that powerful, will also hopefully give the character a change in terms of powers that it much needs, since Wonder Woman's power are identical to Superman in the majority of cases. Giving her a more magic like set of abilities.

The Second PoI, is the only thing that bothers me. I like the fact that Wondergirl is now more a thief also labeled "a powerhouse", but I liked her origin a lot and the relationship that the character of Wondergirl had with her brother Ares. It was a good concept and apparently, DC deemed it too good for a secondary character such as Wondergirl. This is unfortunate because mixing the origin stories of each of these characters together slightly unnerves me.

I think it would have been much better for Wonder Woman to have a completely different origin than this one, or just remain with the same origin. I see no reason that the benefits of the change are limited to this origin and could easily have been applied without even having to change the concept of the original origin.

I don't think I'm even making sense, I'm going to sleep.

#1 Posted by SC (12703 posts) - - Show Bio

Yey a Revamp Blog!  

I sort of prefer her having less magic powers. I know everyone associates certain powers with Superman, but I always hated that male characters get the physical powers and female characters get the fairy magical floaty powers. Punching someone really hard should belong to everyone *grin* now to me, to me, Wonder Woman's physical rawness should have more grace and accuracy, anyway, how she applies this certainly has lots of leeway.  

I get you with the Cassie point as well. Still, I think good writing for both characters can circumvent this. I need to read last couple of her issues though. Cool blog. 

#2 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

Yey a Revamp Blog!
I sort of prefer her having less magic powers. I know everyone associates certain powers with Superman, but I always hated that male characters get the physical powers and female characters get the fairy magical floaty powers. Punching someone really hard should belong to everyone *grin* now to me, to me, Wonder Woman's physical rawness should have more grace and accuracy, anyway, how she applies this certainly has lots of leeway. I get you with the Cassie point as well. Still, I think good writing for both characters can circumvent this. I need to read last couple of her issues though. Cool blog.

Someone likes my blogs... o__O. [Yay!]

You do have a certain point, but I guess I'm not really asking for her to have less punching power and whatnot, just to have a few extra powers, like maybe lightning or... yeah, just something different. She doesn't have to have any less strength because of this. And yeah, I think that Cassie's problem could be easily circumvented with good writing, especially with this secret she seems to be keeping.

Thanks. :D

#3 Posted by Dernman (14750 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: Not fond of her having lightning power for her. She does wind power to some extent. That's how she can fly.  She also has power to talk to animals not to mention the power from the lasso actually comes from her. She just needs the lasso to use it. She has other powers but to lazy to add more right now.
#4 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp: Not fond of her having lightning power for her. She does wind power to some extent. That's how she can fly. She also has power to talk to animals not to mention the power from the lasso actually comes from her. She just needs the lasso to use it. She has other powers but to lazy to add more right now.

Haven't read most of the issues, but OK.

#5 Posted by Dernman (14750 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: Actually I knew about the flying  but not about the lasso, animal thing, or her other powers. I had just finished reading about her on wiki before reading your blog is all. :p
#6 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp: Actually I knew about the flying but not about the lasso, animal thing, or her other powers. I had just finished reading about her on wiki before reading your blog is all. :p

Oh, LOL. Fair enough.

#7 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

I think dc is still working at figuring a lot of stuff out.  In terms of mythology I was not so opposed to the depiction, basically as Zeus tricked Hippolyta into having sex with him by posing as another person.  Just like he did all the time in myth

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.