Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Fans probably don't want a modern WW film

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

Seriously, considering that MOS was a John Byrne Post Crisis Superman, and people were b!tch!ng that he wasn't saving cats from trees and reversing time. If we get a Perez era WW on film, idiots on the outside will say, "Lynda Carter would never do that!!! Revisionist history!!!!" and ppl on here will say, "As you see, this really isn't a Wonder Woman because she doesn't talk about Amazon dogma, like in the golden age".

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, for one Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is much less remembered than Christopher Reeve Superman. I've had cable for about 15 years now and I don't ever remember the WW tv show ever being on even channels that play old nostalgia shows, but Superman 1-4 are pretty common to find on TV.

Furthermore, I don't think the common person really has a concept of WW as a character. They know she is a superhero, her costume and maybe the fact that she is a feminest icon. Unlike Superman, who everyone knows as the ultimate hero, Wondy is pretty much a blank slate as far as characterization. Sure comic book nerds will complain no matter how she acts, but I think general audiences (most of whom were probably not even alive when the TV show aired) and critics would be more accepting.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horrendous or masterpiece, If WW movie would be based on New52, I will hate it...

I really don't want the first WW movie ever to be based on version of her I hate.

(and please no golden age WW, Lynda Carter WW or something like that...).

Just my opinion.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: I wud love a sequel based on the azzarello stuff, but with the clay origin

The first movie cud b gods and mortals, the second movie could be Cheetah and Bana Migdhall, and the 3rd wud be a azzarello stuff

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see something like this:

1) Ares (something like the animated movie)

2) Circe + Cheetah

3) Genocide

Pre-Flashpoint origins, amazons and characterization (no johnes' ww for sure...). Nothing against the new silvery costume, though I'd like to see a "WW costume/greek light armor hybrid".

Famous arcs adaption? "The Circle"

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP has a point.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a Wonder Woman movie without the Nolan platitude dialogue and a movie that isn't made to look like a cut and paste trailer scenes I'm looking at you "MOS".

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched the Christopher Reeves movie and even I didn't like it, the problem was the script and execution, with a different Director-Writer duo the movie could've been much better, the same goes for WW, if the movie is good than people will like it.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic book movies are never beholden to the comics - and they certainly aren't beholden to comic book readers. Whatever they do there will be a lot of complaining since Wonder Woman is such a polarizing figure.

All that being said, I can almost guarantee that they won't use the Azzarello version of the character. I don't mean that as a knock on Azzarello's version, but it doesn't encapsulate the iconic elements of the character well enough, and the movie studios will be trying hard to sell that iconic status.

As several others have noted, the common audience probably doesn't know that much about Wonder Woman and her origin, so I suspect the first film will focus primarily on that.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: The new costume makes more sense since it actually looks red, WHITE, and blue

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of the silver it's just redundant when you already have a dark blue color in it. Gold made her costume stand out more over silver.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? You mean the American public would not find a whole story around saving a baby plus groundbreaking story elements like murdering rapist Amazons at large as endearing and major leaps of improvement for WW!?

Then, why should her current readers?

Where is the true disconnect?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: lol i dont thing many guys would think getting rape by a woman would consider it a bad thing(i know double standard) didnt you see that panel the guys were happy but getting kill afterward might prove a problem lol also i still say Hephaestus came in b4 they killed any baby

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think a Wonder Woman movie would fail simply because the general population isnt interested in WW. I also think you lose the young boy market that a lot of comic films bank on.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a Wonder Woman movie would fail simply because the general population isnt interested in WW. I also think you lose the young boy market that a lot of comic films bank on.

But they might bring in a previously untapped young girl market that is hungry for some good role models. And I would argue that the general population is probably more interested in Wonder Woman than most comic book readers. She is far and away the most recognizable female superhero and is an icon for a lot of people - a lot of whom don't read comics but do go to the movies.

What will matter most is making a good movie. Green Lantern and Iron Man are a good contrast in this regard. Both featured characters that are well known to comic book audiences but not nearly as well known to non-comic book readers (I would argue that Wonder Woman was more recognizable to common audiences than either of them prior to their movies). Iron Man, though, had a bankable star giving a good performance and the movie was strong, hence it became a successful franchise. Green Lantern had a B-level star and was a mediocre movie and it failed.

The fact of the matter is that there are very few franchises that can succeed on the strength of the franchise alone (in other words, that would make a lot of money and get sequels even if the movie was bad). Batman, Superman (to an extent, though Superman Returns bombed), Spider-Man, and the X-Men are probably about it in the comic world. Star Wars and James Bond are also part of that group if we go beyond comics. Beyond those (and before everyone races to attack me, I'll admit I probably forgot a few), any movie will fail if it is a bad movie, and any movie can succeed if it is of a high enough quality.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TAneT62

If they change her costume ... I'd be pissed of.

I love her original costume ... I actually love the New 52 one better, but please ... No pants.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern23: Sadly,I must be agree you

I dont know why,but i think ww movie would be fail and simply;....just a bad premonition

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know why,but i think ww movie would be fail and simply;....just a bad premonition

don´t be so negative. I honestly think we are heading into the era of overkill with certain characters, who general audiences will get bored of. The last superman movie MOS, while it had its virtues, was all in all a pretty bad movie. Now Batman and Superman, which I think honestly will suck and for WB lying to me about a JL movie, I personally will not go see that movie in cinemas, even if it gets rave reviews. But I digress. I will by Flashpoint Paradox, cause I like it and its refreshing, I also think audiences now want something a bit different from this genre. Not just established guys. WW origin is actually pretty good, and I remember the shock i got from the animated film, when I knew nothing about her, It was so cool to see this completely unique origin story and a female central character that kicked ass.

The problem with other female characters and why say supergirl or catwoman or even Ms Marvel are lilkely to fail is they don´t have good or origin stories that can give you a connection to the character, that are original to themselves. I mean supergirl is practically superman = bore fest, might as well watch the superman, Catwoman who is a bit cooler, is so caught up in the Batman mythos that her origin doesn´t make sense out of it and she really therefore doesn´t have one, Ms Marvel is just kind of childish. Wonder Woman on the other hand has some surprisingly mature and popular themes running through it that can be exploited. Ancient warrior culture, bondage, the rape of Queen Hippolyta by Herclitas, utopian societies, Ancient Gods, Ares desire for all out war - bringing destruction where ever he goes, even certain feminist ideas there. There´s alot to explore. which means unlike comic audiences, cinema audiences who are a bit more grown up, may well be shocked and fascinated by what they find in a Wonder Woman film. The thing I believe with WW is like Catwoman who is just a great villain, not a great female villain, WW is a great superhero, not just female superhero. I think people will find her story pretty badass if given a chance. And what is cool is that shes this icon that has meant so much to so many people and yet, people really aren´t that familiar with her, so that surprise element of wow, what am I seeing, I didn´t know WW was connected with The Amazons of Ancient Greek culture, cool, this kinda like gladiator, oh dude I didn´t know Ares God Of War was like WW archnemisis awesome.

By the way there are many documentaries about WW, various news items, articles both academic and in popular media. To me a WW movie is a shoe in she really is that popular. Tell me any documentary about Green Lantern or Cyborg or Martian Manhunter. Only Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman (X-Men, Spider-Man and Hulk are similar for marvel) are on that level of iconicism, where actual people outside comics, historians, feminists, psychologists, film makers, academics are willing to do actual analysis of what their stories mean.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I have to say...wow...

Cool article. .though,I'm hope so

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with you, that fans will be resistant to change, but as fans, we forget: we dont matter. Ask any hardcore Batman what they thought of the Nolan Batman films, at least half will say, "That wasnt BATMAN!", but those movies are arguably the most successful comic book movies of all time. Fans dont matter, we need to accept that, we only matter at the very early stages, where we can start internet petitions with thousands of signatures, and make the studios leery enough to make changes.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No need to agree with someone because they think they're right.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hawk80 said:

I'd like to see something like this:

1) Ares

2) Circe + Cheetah

3) Genocide

YES.

And as far as characterization, the animated versions of WW should be what they use for a live action movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because everyone complained the Adam West wouldn't do what the last 4 guys to play Batman did!!!

People complained about Superman because they needed to, it seemed hip, it seemed necessary! To be fair people complain about things in every movie, I do it too! I just don't complain as much as others...but probably more than some as well!

Don't make a movie and they will complain, make the movie they will nitpick no matter what!

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx said:

Because everyone complained the Adam West wouldn't do what the last 4 guys to play Batman did!!!

People complained about Superman because they needed to, it seemed hip, it seemed necessary! To be fair people complain about things in every movie, I do it too! I just don't complain as much as others...but probably more than some as well!

Don't make a movie and they will complain, make the movie they will nitpick no matter what!

No, but they did about Nolan not doing things like Burton.

And they did with Kilmer, Clooney and Bale for the fact they werent Keaton and decide to do the role their way.

With Wonder Woman it gets worst.

They will have to change her.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Perhaps, but the reason I specifically referenced Adamn West Batman is because, like Linda Carter Wonder Women, it is signifantly different than today's comic version of the character and general setting of the stories!

I was also specifically referencing it because it is a TV show! Example: Everyone is comparing the Superman movies, I don't see as many comparisons to Smallville, Lois & Clark, Superboy, or the Reeve Show!

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: Eh. Genocide cannot hold a movie on her own. Circe and Cheetah would be better separate. They are too big of villains to be in the same movie.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By dernman

Genocide was a horrible character.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx: We are talking about the movie of WW for what i read in the title.

Many people compare MOS with Smallville, sure it has to be the most pointles comparation i have seen, but some people did, also the MOS hate gets from Rotten Tomatoes followers and those guys said is not lie Donner, so it sucks, if Rotten Tomatoes say it some people willl follow them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@drgnx: We are talking about the movie of WW for what i read in the title.

I didn't realize Lynda Carter did a Wonder Woman Movie for people to compare a future Wonder Women movie to as per the OP's mention.

Many people compare MOS with Smallville, sure it has to be the most pointles comparation i have seen, but some people did, also the MOS hate gets from Rotten Tomatoes followers and those guys said is not lie Donner, so it sucks, if Rotten Tomatoes say it some people willl follow them.

I'm curious to know how many people made this comparison, because the vast majority of comparisons I've read were between the movies, which was the point I was making in my post! And in most of the complaints I have read have been Superman Generic as opposed to a specific movie/show/comic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42 said:

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: Eh. Genocide cannot hold a movie on her own. Circe and Cheetah would be better separate. They are too big of villains to be in the same movie.

Actually Cheetah and Circe could be in a movie together. Have Cheetah as Barbara Ann Minerva who becomes one of Diana's earliest friends in Man's World alongside Steve Trevor and Etta Candy.Then in the sequel, have Circe(who in the comics can turn people into animals) change her into a humanoid cheetah (Cheetah) during a climactic battle and have this be a personal conflict for both Diana and Barbara.

As for a third movie, I don't know who should be the villain. Genocide seems like the best option as she'd give Diana a physical struggle along the lines of Bane in TDKR.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: Yeah but Circe on the island of Aeaea and her army, I think would be enough for a movie. I could see Circe turning Barbara into Cheetah at the end. It could be a great cliffhanger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: That could work too. But who'd you see as the third movie's villain?

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@dmessmer: The problem is the "iconic" version has always failed to connect with the mainstream audience. In fact I would bet money that the studios would rather make a movie closer to the Azarello version than anything else.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dmessmer

@noj said:

@dmessmer: The problem is the "iconic" version has always failed to connect with the mainstream audience. In fact I would bet money that the studios would rather make a movie closer to the Azarello version than anything else.

How would we know - there hasn't been an attempt. Well, other than the first season of the Lynda Carter version, which was a huge success, and possibly the animated film from 2009, which was also a pretty solid success. I'm not sure what you're basing your statement on.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noj said:

Then I won't watch it.

Azzarello's WW should not become the true WW in the eyes of the mainstream audience.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

@noj said:

Then I won't watch it.

Azzarello's WW should not become the true WW in the eyes of the mainstream audience.

I wouldn't worry too much. The thing we all have to remember is that the studios don't care about the readers of Wonder Woman comics. If I recall the sales figures are in the 40,000 range for her monthly comic, which is nothing compared to the millions of tickets that WB would be trying to sell with a Wonder Woman movie. Most of those moviegoers have never heard of Azzarello (or Perez, or Rucka, or Simone for that matter), and won't know anything about the New 52 version of the character (must probably won't even know what "New 52" means).

The studios will try to make the most of what mainstream audiences do know, which probably amounts to the following:

1. Her look - stars and stripes outfit, black hair, blue eyes.
    2. She's strong.
    3. She has bracelets that reflect bullets.
    4. She has a lasso (I wonder how many people know what it actually does).
    5. She's a feminist icon. (This is the one that scares me - Hollywood's version of feminism could be awful and condescending).

That's about it. They'll probably draw very loosely from some of her more iconic stories (Perez's origin strikes me as the most likely unless they decide to set it in WWII, in which case who knows), but otherwise there will be little attempt to maintain any continuity with the comics and they definitely won't be catering to the comic book audience, with the exception of a few Easter Eggs.

This has been the pattern in all of the comic book movies of late from both DC and Marvel.

Of course, as always, this assumes they make a movie at all and recent comments from WB suggest it might be a while before that happens.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lilben42
    gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gokuwarrior

@noj: her iconic version is the only successful version with the mainstream audience,her show with lynda carter was a worldwide hit and aired in every part of the world lasting more than 4 years,the series DVDS are still selling,her animated movie from 2009 is one of DC 7 best selling animated movies,when they try to change her,it becomes a flop like the 2010 pilot and the azzarello run,his run is a massive flop,nobody cares except you and a few new fans from his run,but that is not enough,everytime that they have to do something with her outside the comics they will use her classic version not the new trash from flopello i mean azzarello,no i mean flopello.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like if she has to kill Decay or centaurs, they'll b1t€h. "Oh, she's a meanie!!!!! Think of the children!!!"

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MPfly88

Marvel is in the process of bringing Rocket Raccoon to the big screen. I'm sorry but when Rocket Raccoon gets a movie before Wonder Woman, there's a problem. People need to stop worrying about whether or not a Wonder Woman movie could work, because that's the big reason why WB is so far behind Disney/Marvel. Disney just goes for it, and they're constantly hitting it outta the ball park with one film after another. They don't apologize for their superheroes like WB does, by trying to make them realistic or make them seem less ridiculous. They are gung ho about their superheroes and THAT is why they succeed. But WB is afraid, like a lot of you are, which is why they're limping.

You will never know until you try. It might be a hit or it might suck. But at least we'll finally have a film about her, and if mistakes were made they can learn from them, hopefully.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpfly88: marvel only has two great movie under it belt ironman 1 and avenger the rest are crap or just okay right now WB need to get actor director writers and when did wb apologize for there superhero movie i know they apologize for a trailer of green lantern but that it

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpfly88: marvel only has two great movie under it belt ironman 1 and avenger the rest are crap or just okay right now WB need to get actor director writers and when did wb apologize for there superhero movie i know they apologize for a trailer of green lantern but that it

Ok that is your opinion and it is yours to own. But almost every Marvel movie since 2008 has been a success both commercially and for the most part, critically. The movies made them money and they have their fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.