Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Donna Troy's 50TH birthday!! (And our gal WW's 30th)

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all you WW fans...are any of you also Donna Troy fans?!?

Well this April 29th will be her 50th anniversary since her debut in the comicbook The Brave And The Bold #60, which came out in 1965, April 29.

The mistake that many Wonder Girl (and even Donna Troy) fans make is that they think the Wonder Girl that appeared in Kanigher’s incarnation was Donna Troy. When in fact it was NOT. “Wonder Girl” and “Donna Troy” are TWO separate entities.

Here's the true history behind it all:

It was Princess Diana of Paradise Island who was first called "Wonder Girl”...and it was by her mom Hippolyta (in the newspaper strip that first appeared in 1944, and also on April 29th!). After that, Kanigher took over the WW comic, and created a young gal version of Diana (who was called Wonder Girl) to simultaneously co-exist with both the infant version (Wonder Tot) and adult version (WW) of the same character of Princess Diana.

Then in 1965, while gathering junior superheroes to create the Teen Titans, writer Bob Haney mistakenly thought that Kanigher's ‘Wonder Girl’ was a separate character altogether, much like Robin was from Batman. And so he assigned the name “Donna Troy” to this Wonder Girl whom he thought was separate from Princess Diana. When he was told of his mistake, Haney had already drawn out the blueprint of his Teen Titans mythology. So to correct his mistake while not having to scrap his entire finished product, he simply gave his Wonder Girl a separate identity. Thus was [mistakenly] born DONNA TROY.

But Haney's mistake created a very interesting archetype element in the mythology of the Heroine's Journey...the little sister that the main heroine never knew she had! This is reflected in the mythologies of heroine-successors to WW, such as Buffy’s sister Dawn Summers, Nikita's Alex, or Sydney Bristow's Nadia Santos.

A more thorough explanation of this archetypal element in the continuing WW mythos can be found in the “Mistaken Sister” chapter of my FREE pdf manuscript, “WHO IS WONDER WOMAN?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/rbku56bsgrikxwb/WHO_IS_WW-manuscript_PDF.pdf

Some people love Donna, others want her GONE already! For me, ever since I've heard of Donna Troy back in the 90's, I've never held her to be a true part of the original WW mythos. But I have taken a liking to the character just by herself, in her own element with the Titans. Though, to me, she just doesn't fit in with the true WW mythology. And to this day I still don't know if the Marston family has accepted her as their own, as “family”, as much as Diana is....But its still interesting that Haney named her ‘Donna’, just as one of Dr. Marston's sons is named ‘Don’...and that the Trojans (who live in the city of Troy) are friends with Dr. Marston’s Amazons. Hmmmmmm.

Now I've heard that in the NU52, the latest incarnation of Donna Troy was changed into something entirely different and freaky. I haven't had time to investigate whassup with that. But regardless...whatever they're doing with the character nowadays......

Happy birthday, Donna Troy!

P.S. This April THIRTIETH will be Happy THIRTIETH Birthday for WW screen-actor, Gal Gadot!! Thirty never looked so good! =W=

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still have despise Gadot as Diana, but whatever. Happy Early Birthday to Gal.

And as for the Donna Troy thing, she has her own board. You could post that there. Just putting it out.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an easy mistake for Haney to make since Kanigher himself often had younge Diana appear next to,her older self in his comics. There were stories back then that had the whole wonder family in action, despite the paradox of Wonder Gorl, Wonder Tot and Wonder Woman all being p, technically, the same character at different stages of her life.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And as for the Donna Troy thing, she has her own board. You could post that there. Just putting it out.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

But its not a message board, its some kinda data page.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would likely interest all of you Donna Troy/ Wonder Girl fans out there to know this very interesting tid bit fact:

April 29th seems to be the magic date for "Wonder Girl". Check this...

The name ‘Wonder Girl’ (within the WW chronicles) first appeared (Hippolyta called Diana this) in a newspaper strip that came out 1941...April 29.

Then, Donna Troy is born and assigned the title of "Wonder Girl", in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD comicbook #60, which came out in 1965...April 29!

What a synchronicity!!

Furthermore...the number 105 is connected to the “Wonder Girl” mantle. Check this:

It was in WONDER WOMAN #105 that a teenaged Diana was featured as Wonder Girl and her origin told. That comic came out in 1959.

Well, reverse the last two digits of that year...1995...and you get the later year that WONDER WOMAN #105 (series 2) came out, which featured the new & modern teenaged Wonder Girl, Cassie Sandsmark.

Coincidence? I don't think so!!!

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@saint_sophie said:

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

But its not a message board, its some kinda data page.

What? Oh, the link lead's to her wiki. Just click on "forum" and you can post it there. It just seems more appropriate considering how it concerns Donna Troy. not Diana. Though the HBD Gadot could be left here as she's playing Diana.. but what do I know..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.