Does WW need changing before her film debut?

#1 Posted by Bezza (3640 posts) - - Show Bio

My brother and I were talking about characters who we would love to see on film, but who perhaps need some changes to bring them up to date. Have always loved Wonder Woman but thought the old lasso of truth was very corny when seen in the TV series. Also, the bracelets thing. Why does someone so powerful need to deflect bullets with bracelets. Realistically shouldn't someone who can take a punch from Darkseid be able to shrug of a mere bullet as Superman, Hulk or any 100 ton class character normally does? So does she need some modernising before coming to the big screen, or is the new 52 Wonder Woman ok as she is? Just want to conclude by saying that it really is time Wonder Woman made it to the big screen. This superhero universe is far too male dominated and in the modern world that's not really on!

#2 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and let's take away Green Lantern's ring. Also, Thor should lose that hammer. Too old fashion.

The lasso and bracelets are part of what makes her unique. She's mostly invulnerable to blunt attacks, but her skin can be pierced by bullets, swords, etc. She should also keep the lasso.

The cinema universe isn't "too male dominated, it's just limited. Wonder Woman is one of few female characters who could hold her own movie. There are a lot of male superheroes who could, but still don't have a movie. I want more female superheroes on the big screen, but you won't see many with solo movies.

#3 Edited by Teerack (6280 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah and the should get rid of the silly boomerangs batman uses for his next movie.

#4 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: weren't they change into shuriken in the nolan version

#5 Posted by Teerack (6280 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

They should get rid of her white skin... she should be played by a multi-ethnic actress.. my vote

Rosario Dawson (of course with CGI modifications to her physique if she can't get the body in shape)

#7 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: yup shuriken shape like bat the boomerangs was sadly gone

#8 Posted by Teerack (6280 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: yup shuriken shape like bat the boomerangs was sadly gone

Did Batman ever have a boomerang? I'm pretty sure they were always just shurikens.... I only called them boomerang because of their name(Batarang) and shape.

#9 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: yes he had boomerang he just called them batarange cause they were shape like bat

@awesam said:

Yes and let's take away Green Lantern's ring. Also, Thor should lose that hammer. Too old fashion.

The lasso and bracelets are part of what makes her unique. She's mostly invulnerable to blunt attacks, but her skin can be pierced by bullets, swords, etc. She should also keep the lasso.

The cinema universe isn't "too male dominated, it's just limited. Wonder Woman is one of few female characters who could hold her own movie. There are a lot of male superheroes who could, but still don't have a movie. I want more female superheroes on the big screen, but you won't see many with solo movies.

agree but i would give her some pant

#10 Edited by Teerack (6280 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: I'm really certain he hasn't had a boomerang sense after crisis. At least not without tech built into them to make them work.

#11 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: i was talking about the movie vers the comic vers on the other hand i dont know

#12 Edited by Omnicrono (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Somebody give that woman some pants.

#13 Posted by TAneT62 (1060 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not, let her be.

Take away her lasso, bracelets, and even changing her outfit for pants will make her completely un iconic. Stupid and ridiculous idea.

Stick with her original atire, nothing else. I'm not a fan of change, especially when it comes to changing a hero to iconic for most people.

#14 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62: I agree about the lasso, bracelets, and I´m defo not offended about the pants, but I think for a movie much like Superman, they need to take her uniform and take whats really iconic about it, but make it so it would be something a Superhero would wear in real life. I´m thinking like what the bad guy version of her wears in the Injustice Gods Among us. But with the colours more matching the original. Or hey, wondey is a woman, women like to mix it up a little. May be she can have different styles for certain badguy kicking ass occasions thats how my script handles it.

#15 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@tanet62 said:

changing her outfit for pants will make her completely un iconic. Stupid and ridiculous idea.

Nah no its not.

#16 Posted by TAneT62 (1060 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

@tanet62 said:

changing her outfit for pants will make her completely un iconic. Stupid and ridiculous idea.

Nah no its not.

Yes, yes it is.

I like the colour change, but the pants are ridiculous, my opinion.

@jphulk26 said:

@tanet62: I agree about the lasso, bracelets, and I´m defo not offended about the pants, but I think for a movie much like Superman, they need to take her uniform and take whats really iconic about it, but make it so it would be something a Superhero would wear in real life. I´m thinking like what the bad guy version of her wears in the Injustice Gods Among us. But with the colours more matching the original. Or hey, wondey is a woman, women like to mix it up a little. May be she can have different styles for certain badguy kicking ass occasions thats how my script handles it.

I like the Injustice version to, wouldn't mind if they decide to change it to that.

I'm still against the pants though, no one can convince me to like them, or even consider them for that matter.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (83508 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman's appearance should be changed to more closely resemble her most iconic (meaning recognizable) look.

#18 Posted by dmessmer (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked the bracelets. It's much more interesting to see someone who is potentially vulnerable use her skill to deflect bullets than to be invincible and simply walk through them.

The lasso, too, is interesting if for no other reason than it is so unique. Weapons (guns, swords, batarangs, hammers, whatever) can take a lot of different shapes and forms, but in the end they all do the same thing whereas the lasso is completely unique. There's a lot of story potential in the notion that the weapon that villains fear the most is one that compels them to tell/face the truth.

As for the outfit, as long as it's recognizable and not cheap looking (like the failed pilot version) I'll live with whatever.

#19 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not start her off in an almost "ceremonial" version of her costume to present herself to the us government. Basically, a long red and blue toga/dress.

Then, her first public costume is the chiang armor, but towards the end she adopts a more super heroic costume that is the "For Tomorrow" version of her costume, with the long skirt.

#20 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not really a matter of changing her so much as deciding which version of her is best for prime time. Personally I think the simplified, demi-goddess version put forth by Azzarello is best because it's straightforward and isn't afraid of the Greek pantheon stuff, but I know there's much love for the born-of-clay version.

Honestly, the Amazons need as much clarification as Wonder Woman does. The whole concept is intrinsically conflicted: the segregated, xenophobic society ruled by a military dictatorship sends out an emissary of peace to the world to teach us all how to be peaceful? It's that thematic friction that has led to the many conflicting personalities of Wonder Woman: the bridge builder, the blood knight, the man-hater (and that's not including other personalities put forward over the years, like the classic bondage fetishist, the unpowered ninja, the government agent, and the unfortunate "generic chick" persona in ensembles). It's not that they need to abandon the internal conflict of the Amazon background--that complexity can be a strong point of the character--but they need to nail down which direction they're going.

What's her core archetype?

• Athlete
  • Warrior
  • Ambassador
  • Goddess
  • Alien (not literally, but in the "stranger in a strange land" sense)
  • Champion of the average Jane
  • Teacher (of society, of her wards)
  • etc

What's her core personality?

• Poised and regal
  • Fiery and confrontational
  • Caring and nurturing
  • etc

If you're looking at these lists and saying "she's all of them" then you need to realize that's a problem. Yes, a rounded character should be able to show a range of emotions and fill a number of roles, but too often Wonder Woman's archetype has shifted to fill a role in a larger ensemble or according to the whims of a current writer.

I'd set her as a modern-day Hercules, coming as much from a bygone era as from a secluded amazon society. Basic basic basic stuff all the way down the line:

• She'd mostly fight Greek monsters or modern-day supervillains recruited by evil Greek gods/goddesses.
  • I'd spin her view of the outside world as "the modern world" instead of just "man's world" to take some of the pressure off that aspect of the character and let her champion her causes in a way more palatable by the mainstream—and frequently misogynist—general film audience.
  • I'd show her voyage into the outside world more as a personal quest of discovery and growth than as a charge to go out and fix the world. That'd be a personal goal, not a decree by the benevolent dictatorship of Paradise Island.
  • I'd have her more athlete than warrior, and her personality would be defined by a "can do" attitude rather than a desire to "fight" or "nurture". This would allow her to go in both directions as necessary without leaving the core of her personality which is "there's a problem, let's roll up our sleeves and fix it" in a direct if almost naive way. She'd represent a sort of pragmatic optimism as opposed to Batman's cynicism and Superman's "trust people to be good people" idealism.

This is the kind of stuff I think is important when designing WW for the mainstream audience. Not if she's wearing pants or not.

#21 Posted by dmessmer (365 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Well said all the way around. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of the ambassador role, though that doesn't have to mean that she's setting out to fix the world. Perhaps Themyscira is figuring out its place in the world as much as Wonder Woman is - perhaps struggling to maintain their pacifist ideals in a world so full of war.

#22 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmessmer said:

@fodigg: Well said all the way around.

Thanks!

Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of the ambassador role, though that doesn't have to mean that she's setting out to fix the world. Perhaps Themyscira is figuring out its place in the world as much as Wonder Woman is - perhaps struggling to maintain their pacifist ideals in a world so full of war.

It'd be nice, although it is really, really hard to write/sell a pacifist superhero. Often pacifism in superhero comics is defined as "doesn't kill" (e.g., Spider-Man) and "isn't scary" (e.g., no Batman), but all the punching in the world is acceptable. However, there are definitely ways to make her more "WONDER woman" than "WARRIOR woman" and still have it acceptable to the mainstream audience.

#23 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think pants are a bad idea

BUT I prefer Skirts

I think a skirt looks WAY better and looks like a actual Warrior like One great example of the unbelievably beautiful Lois Lane character from Smallville

How I would like to see WW

Because this to me screams Swimsuit not costume

Other things come to mind too

People that want to argue that it's the classic look, and it isn't showing too much skin and blah blah blah... yadda yaddda... bah ha, boo hoo Sad Story...

In the limited Conventions I have gone too I have seen too many female CosPlayers dress like THIS

Why is she wearing tight leggings under her costume?

I know exactly WHY!

I have seen too many cosplayers wearing this for me to believe that her "classic" look should be in films because it is "iconic," or "recognizable."

Right... Right that's why Wolverine is wearing a Bright Yellow Jump Suit in his movies.... OH WAIT

NO He isn't.

That's why Magneto wore a bright Red Costume... wait... he didn't either.

I mean Superman and Batman still wear their underwear on top of their tights.... WAIT....

*Does the Ed Fover Face*

C'mon son... You know she should be wearing a Skirt. She would look amazing in it and most importantly actually look like a warrior

Aren't the Romans and the Amazons connected in some way?

That is just my opinion though.

( + )

#24 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I want her to be a warrior! Not swimsuit!

#25 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep the tiara but don't make able to be thrown like a boomerang. Also make the Invisible Jet a U.S. military stealth jet, not an Amazon creation.

#26 Posted by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

I want her to be a warrior! Not swimsuit!

#27 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

No they aren't. Amazons come from Greek mythology.

#28 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

No they aren't. Amazons come from Greek mythology.

Yeah I always get those two confused. Thanks for the verification.

I mean it's not like they shared the same Gods or anything.

anyways

Greek Warrior now :)

( + )

#29 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: More like the Romans stole their gods from the Greek. At least some asshole Austrian dictator stole some stuff from them in return.

And just to be on topic, give her a damn skirt. She's a warrior not a swimsuit model, literally everyone has said the exact same thing by now. Also, we don't need an invisible jet for Christ's sake.

#30 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

@lolzstastic: Who was this Austrian dictator, and did he change their (the Gods) names? ( + )

#31 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends if she was just in a battle before the filming, if so then yes because her clothes would probably be a little ripe from sweating. Fighting super villains can be strenuous work.

#32 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: You're joking, right? Do you seriously not know how much Hitler's nazism stole from the Romans? (technically he stole from Mussolini who in turn stole from the Romans, but f*ck Mussolini).

#33 Posted by herrweis (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing needs to change about her at all.that's the issue when trying to adapt her to ....well anything,people feel the need to change her and it goes to hell quickly.there is nothing wrong with her or her origin.keep her as is

#34 Posted by lilben42 (2543 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope they don't go with her new 52 stories.

#35 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: You're joking, right? Do you seriously not know how much Hitler's nazism stole from the Romans? (technically he stole from Mussolini who in turn stole from the Romans, but f*ck Mussolini).

The occult aspects of the Nazi regime stole from the Norse as well as some of there symbols.

This is the thunder cross one of the symbols for Thor,

Look a little familiar?

#36 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: @lolzstastic: No I wasn't joking. I did forget he was a Austrian and I don't recall learning about him stealing stuff from the Romans. All I remember was him taking the Nazi logo from someone.

Tex13- Thank you for the lesson. I remember that he took it from some tribe and that it meant something positive now I know I was incorrect and that it was Thor's logo... thanks

Forgive me for the late reply.

( + )

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.