Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Does WW emasculate male characters at times?

• 59 results
    Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

@marvel123: my answer stop worry about it really doesnt matter there always going to be a story where superman prove his better than WW and vice versa also that the superman fanboy(like grace) and ww fanboy(like so many that are here) will always argue because there favorite superhero didnt do enough or represent well enough

...but this notion that wonder woman being better than superman at something is emasculating still zooms over my head. It sounds like, being a man he's supposed to be better and if he isn't, he's less of a man.

as guy who seen it and been thru it that not what emasculating is beside now i wondering how grace know how it feels to be emasculated by his girlfriend she a woman she wouldn't understand

@marvel123: also if you want a great example of ww emasculating someone it would be orion when ww grab his ball and threatening to cut them of if he didnt start respecting her such a badass moment also he deserve it

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy Lol oh yeah, who can forget that? Diana threatening to rip off Orion's balls is a much clearer example of emasculating! That would SURELY deprive him of strength. LOL

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By marvel123

@darknightspideyfanboy: i do agree with that. side note: WW has always been portrayed well in animated tv series/movies (battle-wise) She gave superman the beatdown (thinking he was a monster) in jlu, she defeated mera, steve treavor, aquaman and shazam in jl flashpoint. she only lost once to aquaman in jlu because he cheaply took her into the water.

lol i'm sure orion deserved it

@archizoom: oh, no...i'm sorry if it sounded that way........that sounds extremely sexist. that's not at all what I was trying to do when i asked this question. lol lesson learned : think things through before posting.

in giving some characters good credibility/ reputation by using great feats (which every character needs) sometimes it goes to the detriment of other characters. for the flash is suppose to be the fastest hero in the dc universe (not because he's a male) and the kryptonians are known to be fast but still not nearly as fast as the flash. flash has one power, let the flash be in a league of his own. I'm Not saying that she's emasculating the flash by being tied in a race and i'm not saying that she shouldn't have super speed....however, when people post scans like this, trying to show she's just as fast as the flash; it's definitely a good feat for WW, but it kinda makes the flash seem less special.

No Caption Provided

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ArchiZoom

@marvel123: I see and I agree with that, but if that's what's troubling you then your problem is with Superman .. He's almost as fast as the flash, almost as smart as the Bat, now Soule's gonna have Diana teach him the art of war so soon he'll be almost as skilled as Wonder Woman. He's only short of a ring.

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: maybe, thanks for the discussion though

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: that was good movie but in the comic i believe when clark came in diana and aquaman were easily over power the funny part is that this wasnt a bulk up superman but he look like he had anorexia

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

I think Azzarello's Wonder Woman has much more potential to emasculate other men than past incarnations. In the past, the fact that Diana could overpower almost any man with ease was emasculating enough by itself. Writers didn't need to go any further than that. However, with Azz's run, the encroachment of male influence in Diana's life has made her a bit too masculine for my taste.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@archizoom:

Its what I've been saying for ages, Superman is at the level now where he doesn't really need the rest of the JL!

As for Azzarello's Wonder Woman, I haven't read that much of his run, but I am still waiting for her to take a victory against ANY heavyweight male character. I thought when she took off her bracelets in Issue 23 she was gonna give First Born a battle, but he quickly smashed her into the ground....

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ArchiZoom

@bezza said:

@archizoom:

Its what I've been saying for ages, Superman is at the level now where he doesn't really need the rest of the JL!

As for Azzarello's Wonder Woman, I haven't read that much of his run, but I am still waiting for her to take a victory against ANY heavyweight male character. I thought when she took off her bracelets in Issue 23 she was gonna give First Born a battle, but he quickly smashed her into the ground....

When she removed her bracers I thought she was going to at least put up some resistance before eventually losing this fight but as per usual it only took one hit. My guess is that the First-Born will fall but Diana won't be his conqueror, she and her friends will defeat him together. Apparently they vowed to give us nothing but endless humiliation while Superman pulls a new trick out is cute little kryptonian ass every month. Superman is the world's greatestdefender, his parents were the best scientists in Krypton, Lois is the best journalist on the planet, Lex Luthor is the world's most intelligent men, Brainiac the most intelligent entity in the Universe so since all superlatives are Superman's due he needs a Universe of his own where he can destroy galaxies with a sneeze.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@archizoom:

So I take it you're not the biggest Superman fan in the world lol!

Actually the only consolation I could take from the First Born WW fight was that First Born gave Orion an even bigger beating before WW came in and Orion usually gives Superman a good run for his money as seen in Superman # 20.

..but for me, taking off the bracers should be like Wolverine going bezerker, it should make a difference.

Why DO comic book writers have to nerf female characters? Katniss Everdene wasn't nerfed in Hunger Games and Lara Croft dished out some beatings in Tomb raider and does anyone remember those old Cynthia Rothrock China O'Brien martial arts films from the late 80s, early 90s? She kicked ass!!

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ArchiZoom

@bezza: I like Superman, what I don't like is how they handle him, in contrast to how they handle everybody else. I like the shy, awkward Clark from Kansas, but I loathe Kal-El, the Kryptonian Aristocrat. I believe we could have an amazing Superman without overdoing it. Superman is like that exceptionally good-looking friend that really just makes you feel like shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.