Does Wonder Woman have an accent?

#1 Posted by Captain13 (3027 posts) - - Show Bio

She is Greek, but she seems to always be portrayed with an American accent.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13
She doesn't come from Greece though, she comes from Themyscara
#3 Posted by Captain13 (3027 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@Captain13: She doesn't come from Greece though, she comes from Themyscara

That doesn't explain the depiction of her having an American accent though...

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Captain13: She doesn't come from Greece though, she comes from Themyscara

That doesn't explain the depiction of her having an American accent though...

well if it makes you feel better generally every single American created science fiction character either has some sort of American accent, or a brtish accent
#5 Edited by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

In the greek myths Themiscyra was found on the Terme River in Turkey.

So she would likely be Turkish.

#6 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (659 posts) - - Show Bio

In the book Jimenez said her voice was tinted with just enough Greek to sound exotic.

#7 Posted by RazzaTazz (9351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13: Based on the Perez version she is probably knowledgeable enough in languages that she would have no accent in the languages she speaks.  
#8 Posted by The Poet (8196 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz:can I say i would love see Wonder Woman have an Brooklyn accent...but thats just me...

#9 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

i think diana can have an accent if you want her to have one. idk if she would have a hot accent like Rogue though.

#10 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

It actually makes sense that she has an American accent, considering what her costume looks like. If her outfit is about wearing the colors of her host nation, what's to say that she wouldn't speak as they speak as well? Not sure if the costume meaning has been reconned but there is an explanation if you need one.

#11 Posted by RazzaTazz (9351 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet: That would be interesting
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

I always like to think her accent would sound something like Donna Troys from SBFF

#13 Posted by Owen_Porter (83268 posts) - - Show Bio

When I read WW comics I always do so with the idea of her having an accent. I wish her animated portrayals would include an accent.

#14 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: I think she did had when Deadman possessed her in the Justice League animated series or was that a Boston Accent. I am not sure

#15 Posted by The Poet (8196 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hazlenaut said:

@The Poet: I think she did had when Deadman possessed her in the Justice League animated series or was that a Boston Accent. I am not sure

*goes to rewatch JL

#16 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess she would have learned English from the first people she met, Americans like Steve Trevor. As time goes on she might either adopt a standard American accent or maybe a Mid-Atlantic accent.

#17 Posted by brettjett (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Jett--the WW expert says:

NO, she is not Greek. Yes, she has an accent. It can be described as a fluid, melodic accent, that sounds like an amalgam of Middle Eastern, Greek, Polynesian, & Asian dialects.

#18 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, that's a very good point.

I don't think she should sound american either.

#19 Edited by Shutdown (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's not like she has spent most of her life in the US of A, she was raised in Themsicyra and I would think she should have an accent to vary up the voices of the Justice League. That being said I do think Diana has had some great voice actors in both Justice League and Young Justice, so I really don't especially mind the American accent.

#20 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Girl sounds Mexican in the SBFF show

#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@RazzaTazz:can I say i would love see Wonder Woman have an Brooklyn accent...but thats just me...

That would make her sooooo much more better, lol.

#22 Posted by brettjett (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13 & htb106 & Shutdown & Others:

What you guys fail to realize is that Wonder Woman has studied & MASTERED ALL languages while growing up on PARADISE ISLAND (not "Themyscira"). Thus...she didn't need to grow up in the USA to put on any accent she wants!!

But her default accent & speech pattern is very fluid and is only SLIGHT. And it sounds like a MIX of things. Becuz remember...she knows EVERY language.

Here is both an excerpt from my WW dossier, and a link to my Review of past WW productions where I critique the voice:

Voice----------------------Ranges from Mezzo-Soprano, to Alto/Contralto ...a very nurturing, sultry, pleasing tone ...hers is full of loving emotion; the opposite of monotone, nasty, and scary-like.

Speech patterns-------The key word here is 'fluid' ...Slight unidentifiable accent (which decreases with time in MW), sounds like an amalgam of Middle Eastern, Greek, Asian & Polynesian dialects ...Varied tempo, from quick to slow ...Fluid pronunciations, much like native Hawaiian speakers ...Uses proper English (her first years in MW), but creatively & expressively, then uses some slang (later on).

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?407169-How-to-create-The-Ultimate-WW-screenplay/page2

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.