Does it bother anyone else?...

#1 Posted by divingfalcon713 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else kind of annoyed by Wonder Woman's characterization in Justice League as opposed to her own book? I haven't read the new (Graves) story arc of Justice League because I typically only buy tpb's. However, I've seen plenty of scans and reviews of the recent goings on in both JL and Wonder Woman's solo title. Sometimes I just feel like Johns and Azzarello are writing two different characters who happen to wear the same costume.

#2 Posted by 4_color_image (220 posts) - - Show Bio

Azz did say he was basically writing Diana as if she was in her own universe; however, Wonder Woman from early Justice League is an 18 year old newbie to Man's World & I think the current Justice league arc takes place between the time Diana found out Zeus was her father & Hera took her revenge on Hippolyta & the Amazons, Graves mentions in JL#12 that Diana is the child of Hippolyta & Zeus and she has yet to suffer a great lose... Well we all know that early in Azz's run Diana experienced the lose of her mother & her people. I think the only difference is that she has grown as a person but both Azz & John's depictions work just fine as the same person at different points in their lives.

#3 Posted by divingfalcon713 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

@4_color_image: I guess that is understandable. But even if she's written in her own universe or whatever, I still feel like some character traits should remain the same. In her own book she seems much more calm and rational about her decisions, whereas in Justice League I feel like Johns is just writing her as "that one warrior chick who likes to kill stuff". When they first met, and she would I guess be 18, that made more sense to me, but I was under the impression that everything after the Darkseid arc is taking place in the present. Plus I thought she already lost her mother and the other amazons before JL #12 since she saw her mother turned into stone in JL #10 or something near the beginning of the graves story arc when he made them see the people they'd lost.

#4 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns can't write Wonder Woman, so what did you expect.

#5 Posted by divingfalcon713 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: I didn't expect Johns to write the Teen Titans well either, but he pleasantly surprised me with TT Vol. 3. I just feel like if he's going to be responsible for one of the most well known team books in the New52, he should do some work to match their personalities to those displayed in their solo titles. I've discovered that I don't like the way he writes Diana, just asking if anyone else feels the same way.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

Just be happy he didn't throw her back in the invisible jet

#7 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@jointron33 said:

Just be happy he didn't throw her back in the invisible jet

At least she hasn't been tied up by her own lasso yet.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Or stripped of her powers and started doing karate

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Or trying to be the best wife she can be for Steve Trevor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.