Do her braclets eliminate momentum?

#1 Posted by Strafe Prower (11893 posts) - - Show Bio

I have thought about this for a little while. I've seen her being hit by a blast and being flung back, even out the fight. Yet the same blast can be blocked by her using her bracelets, and she stays in the same spot with no sign of struggle. Do her bracelets also have the ability to stop and eliminate mommentum?

#2 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's simply a matter of her bracing herself when she uses the bracelets as opposed to just being thrown around.

#3 Posted by Strafe Prower (11893 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:
Really? I wasn't awair bracing yourself made that much of a difference.
#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Strafe Prower said:
" @AtPhantom: Really? I wasn't awair bracing yourself made that much of a difference. "
 Sure it does. Assume the right stance and you can more or less handle anything another human could throw at you and stay on your feet. If you can also fly on your own and move mountains with your index finger, well, it helps. :P
#5 Posted by CylonDorado (1860 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Strafe Prower said:
" @AtPhantom: Really? I wasn't awair bracing yourself made that much of a difference. "
 Sure it does. Assume the right stance and you can more or less handle anything another human could throw at you and stay on your feet. If you can also fly on your own and move mountains with your index finger, well, it helps. :P "

QFT. Yeah, that's something you learn in real martial arts.
#6 Posted by Strafe Prower (11893 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:
LOL, well I can't disagree with you there :)
#7 Posted by kareem (281 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah Phantom is right, whenever she is shown deflecting bullets they are shown ricocheting off.

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not really any different from Superman who takes bullets in his chest.  By the way when Superman through the new continent to space in Superman Returns, the second law of motion says he would have been thrown backwards near the speed of light. 
#9 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not really any different from Superman who takes bullets in his chest.  By the way when Superman through the new continent to space in Superman Returns, the second law of motion says he would have been thrown backwards near the speed of light.     
#10 Posted by Vitality (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure what the superman comment has to do with this...but yeah, being ready for the attack makes a lot of difference.
#11 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

They are of comparable strength so I dont see why him getting hit by a bullet would move him, just as you wouldnt expect it to move Diana. 
#12 Posted by DEGRAAF (7936 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"Its not really any different from Superman who takes bullets in his chest.  By the way when Superman through the new continent to space in Superman Returns, the second law of motion says he would have been thrown backwards near the speed of light.  "

Really? Why? I mean i know the laws of motion but the 3rd Law of motion is every action has an equal and opposite reaction and the 2nd law say nothing about an opposing force. 

While pushing a car on an even plain, it takes less and less force to keep car moving and the person pushing never gets thrown back

#13 Posted by AssertingValor (5572 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe maybe not,  just different writers here...................................................
#14 Posted by DEGRAAF (7936 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"They are of comparable strength so I dont see why him getting hit by a bullet would move him, just as you wouldnt expect it to move Diana.  "

Yea but the difference is Diana is vulnerable to piercing weapons such as bullets and knives. She could take the force of a bullet if it wasnt a bullet hitting her
#15 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

Oops yeah I meant the third.  My physics is not as good sorry. 
#16 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
At the speed of light ?
#17 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
@Feliciano2040: Superman moved something which weighed several million tonnes at escape velocity whereas he might weigh at best 500.  The opposite force on him would be immense. 
#18 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering her strength and durability and all, the bracelets might absorb the impact of a bullet the same way riot gear absorbs the impact of hurled bottles and other debris. The stance does help.

#19 Posted by Erik (33327 posts) - - Show Bio

I think yes and no. Crossing the bracelets creates a force field. She has blocked things by crossing them that would normally have sent her flying. I think that when she does not cross them though, her own power is what prevents her from being moved back.

#20 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@Feliciano2040: Superman moved something which weighed several million tonnes at escape velocity whereas he might weigh at best 500.  The opposite force on him would be immense. 
He could probably absorb it.
#21 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar: This goes back to my original point that if he can absorb it there is no reason to think that WW could not absorb the impact of a bullet.  
#22 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz
Then the point of having magic bracers would be moot, no?
#23 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar: The original question was whether they eliminate momentum which I think they don't - Diana does that.  Her bracers are unbreakable which serves another purpose.  
#24 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont believe they rob projectiles of there momentum, but her strength allows her to remain stationary depending on the power of the blast.

#25 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@TheCrowbar: The original question was whether they eliminate momentum which I think they don't - Diana does that.  Her bracers are unbreakable which serves another purpose.  
Sorry I was very unclear.

If she could physically withstand the force of a bullet why would she need the bracers?
#26 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar: Bullets can still penetrate her skin
#27 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:

I dont believe they rob projectiles of there momentum, but her strength allows her to remain stationary depending on the power of the blast.

Pretty much.
#28 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

No. We'll use a bullet as an example, when she blocks a bullet with her bracelets they ricochet, if the bullets momentum was eliminated then it would simply fall to the ground in front of her.

#29 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio
@Strafe Prower said:

I have thought about this for a little while. I've seen her being hit by a blast and being flung back, even out the fight. Yet the same blast can be blocked by her using her bracelets, and she stays in the same spot with no sign of struggle. Do her bracelets also have the ability to stop and eliminate mommentum?

I think the answer's actually rather easy...

1: The bracelets are magical, like her lasso... Her bulletproof bracelets were formed from the remnants of Athena's legendary shield, the Aegis, to be awarded to her champion. The shield was made from the indestructible hide of the great she-goat, Amalthea, who suckled Zeus as an infant. These forearm guards have thus far proven indestructible and able to absorb the impact of incoming attacks, allowing Wonder Woman to deflect automatic weapon fire and energy blasts.  Diana can also slam the bracelets together to create a wave of concussive force capable of making Superman's ears bleed.

2: Wonder Woman is, according to the DC universe database, the strongest female hero in the universe...  That means she's stronger than power girl or super girl or whatever they call her now...  So, even if the bracelets did NOT absorb the momentum of the bullet, SHE certainly could. 

3: If you want more of a physics type of explanation, consider the metal Vibranium in the Marvel Universe.  It CAN absorb momentum...  So, it makes sense that if one were to make a MAGICAL armor, that they would make it to absorb impact or momentum.
#30 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: Tell them Timadm ! Tell them !
#31 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@Strafe Prower said:

I think the answer's actually rather easy...

1: The bracelets are magical, like her lasso... Her bulletproof bracelets were formed from the remnants of Athena's legendary shield, the Aegis, to be awarded to her champion. The shield was made from the indestructible hide of the great she-goat, Amalthea, who suckled Zeus as an infant. These forearm guards have thus far proven indestructible and able to absorb the impact of incoming attacks, allowing Wonder Woman to deflect automatic weapon fire and energy blasts.  Diana can also slam the bracelets together to create a wave of concussive force capable of making Superman's ears bleed.  2: Wonder Woman is, according to the DC universe database, the strongest female hero in the universe...  That means she's stronger than power girl or super girl or whatever they call her now...  So, even if the bracelets did NOT absorb the momentum of the bullet, SHE certainly could.   3: If you want more of a physics type of explanation, consider the metal Vibranium in the Marvel Universe.  It CAN absorb momentum...  So, it makes sense that if one were to make a MAGICAL armor, that they would make it to absorb impact or momentum.
Good points, especially so that things like vibranium essentially are magical
#32 Posted by Pokeysteve (8774 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't the Aegis Zeus' shield?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.