Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Do her braclets eliminate momentum?

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Strafe Prower

I have thought about this for a little while. I've seen her being hit by a blast and being flung back, even out the fight. Yet the same blast can be blocked by her using her bracelets, and she stays in the same spot with no sign of struggle. Do her bracelets also have the ability to stop and eliminate mommentum?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

I think it's simply a matter of her bracing herself when she uses the bracelets as opposed to just being thrown around.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Strafe Prower
    @AtPhantom:
    Really? I wasn't awair bracing yourself made that much of a difference.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Strafe Prower said:
    " @AtPhantom: Really? I wasn't awair bracing yourself made that much of a difference. "
     Sure it does. Assume the right stance and you can more or less handle anything another human could throw at you and stay on your feet. If you can also fly on your own and move mountains with your index finger, well, it helps. :P
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CylonDorado
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Strafe Prower said:
    " @AtPhantom: Really? I wasn't awair bracing yourself made that much of a difference. "
     Sure it does. Assume the right stance and you can more or less handle anything another human could throw at you and stay on your feet. If you can also fly on your own and move mountains with your index finger, well, it helps. :P "

QFT. Yeah, that's something you learn in real martial arts.
    Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strafe Prower
    @AtPhantom:
    LOL, well I can't disagree with you there :)
    kareem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kareem

yeah Phantom is right, whenever she is shown deflecting bullets they are shown ricocheting off.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz

Its not really any different from Superman who takes bullets in his chest.  By the way when Superman through the new continent to space in Superman Returns, the second law of motion says he would have been thrown backwards near the speed of light. 
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz

Its not really any different from Superman who takes bullets in his chest.  By the way when Superman through the new continent to space in Superman Returns, the second law of motion says he would have been thrown backwards near the speed of light.     
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vitality

Not sure what the superman comment has to do with this...but yeah, being ready for the attack makes a lot of difference.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazzaTazz

They are of comparable strength so I dont see why him getting hit by a bullet would move him, just as you wouldnt expect it to move Diana. 
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @RazzaTazz said:
    "Its not really any different from Superman who takes bullets in his chest.  By the way when Superman through the new continent to space in Superman Returns, the second law of motion says he would have been thrown backwards near the speed of light.  "

Really? Why? I mean i know the laws of motion but the 3rd Law of motion is every action has an equal and opposite reaction and the 2nd law say nothing about an opposing force. 

While pushing a car on an even plain, it takes less and less force to keep car moving and the person pushing never gets thrown back

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#13  Edited By AssertingValor

maybe maybe not,  just different writers here...................................................
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @RazzaTazz said:
    "They are of comparable strength so I dont see why him getting hit by a bullet would move him, just as you wouldnt expect it to move Diana.  "

Yea but the difference is Diana is vulnerable to piercing weapons such as bullets and knives. She could take the force of a bullet if it wasnt a bullet hitting her
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz

Oops yeah I meant the third.  My physics is not as good sorry. 
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @RazzaTazz said:
    At the speed of light ?
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Feliciano2040: Superman moved something which weighed several million tonnes at escape velocity whereas he might weigh at best 500.  The opposite force on him would be immense. 
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering her strength and durability and all, the bracelets might absorb the impact of a bullet the same way riot gear absorbs the impact of hurled bottles and other debris. The stance does help.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Erik

I think yes and no. Crossing the bracelets creates a force field. She has blocked things by crossing them that would normally have sent her flying. I think that when she does not cross them though, her own power is what prevents her from being moved back.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @Feliciano2040: Superman moved something which weighed several million tonnes at escape velocity whereas he might weigh at best 500.  The opposite force on him would be immense. 
    He could probably absorb it.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: This goes back to my original point that if he can absorb it there is no reason to think that WW could not absorb the impact of a bullet.  
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz
    Then the point of having magic bracers would be moot, no?
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: The original question was whether they eliminate momentum which I think they don't - Diana does that.  Her bracers are unbreakable which serves another purpose.  
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I dont believe they rob projectiles of there momentum, but her strength allows her to remain stationary depending on the power of the blast.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @TheCrowbar: The original question was whether they eliminate momentum which I think they don't - Diana does that.  Her bracers are unbreakable which serves another purpose.  
    Sorry I was very unclear.

If she could physically withstand the force of a bullet why would she need the bracers?
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: Bullets can still penetrate her skin
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Gambler said:

I dont believe they rob projectiles of there momentum, but her strength allows her to remain stationary depending on the power of the blast.

Pretty much.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nova`Prime`

No. We'll use a bullet as an example, when she blocks a bullet with her bracelets they ricochet, if the bullets momentum was eliminated then it would simply fall to the ground in front of her.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Timandm
    @Strafe Prower said:

I have thought about this for a little while. I've seen her being hit by a blast and being flung back, even out the fight. Yet the same blast can be blocked by her using her bracelets, and she stays in the same spot with no sign of struggle. Do her bracelets also have the ability to stop and eliminate mommentum?

I think the answer's actually rather easy...

1: The bracelets are magical, like her lasso... Her bulletproof bracelets were formed from the remnants of Athena's legendary shield, the Aegis, to be awarded to her champion. The shield was made from the indestructible hide of the great she-goat, Amalthea, who suckled Zeus as an infant. These forearm guards have thus far proven indestructible and able to absorb the impact of incoming attacks, allowing Wonder Woman to deflect automatic weapon fire and energy blasts.  Diana can also slam the bracelets together to create a wave of concussive force capable of making Superman's ears bleed.

2: Wonder Woman is, according to the DC universe database, the strongest female hero in the universe...  That means she's stronger than power girl or super girl or whatever they call her now...  So, even if the bracelets did NOT absorb the momentum of the bullet, SHE certainly could. 

3: If you want more of a physics type of explanation, consider the metal Vibranium in the Marvel Universe.  It CAN absorb momentum...  So, it makes sense that if one were to make a MAGICAL armor, that they would make it to absorb impact or momentum.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Timandm: Tell them Timadm ! Tell them !
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Timandm said:
    @Strafe Prower said:

I think the answer's actually rather easy...

1: The bracelets are magical, like her lasso... Her bulletproof bracelets were formed from the remnants of Athena's legendary shield, the Aegis, to be awarded to her champion. The shield was made from the indestructible hide of the great she-goat, Amalthea, who suckled Zeus as an infant. These forearm guards have thus far proven indestructible and able to absorb the impact of incoming attacks, allowing Wonder Woman to deflect automatic weapon fire and energy blasts.  Diana can also slam the bracelets together to create a wave of concussive force capable of making Superman's ears bleed.  2: Wonder Woman is, according to the DC universe database, the strongest female hero in the universe...  That means she's stronger than power girl or super girl or whatever they call her now...  So, even if the bracelets did NOT absorb the momentum of the bullet, SHE certainly could.   3: If you want more of a physics type of explanation, consider the metal Vibranium in the Marvel Universe.  It CAN absorb momentum...  So, it makes sense that if one were to make a MAGICAL armor, that they would make it to absorb impact or momentum.
    Good points, especially so that things like vibranium essentially are magical
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By Pokeysteve

Wasn't the Aegis Zeus' shield?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.