Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Different outlooks between Diana and the Amazons

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided

I read some comments recently about how it is a change in the new 52 Wonder Woman that she seems to be a little more antagonistic to her fellow Amazons (and they to her).  While I do see that as a new development, an important thing to consider is that Diana and the remainder of the Amazons (including her mother) have never really seen eye-to-eye.  In terms of a political definition of outlook, Diana is most definitely a liberal thinker while her sisters are much more conservative.  When it comes to pretty much everything which the characters stand for they are in direct opposites.  The Amazons regard mankind as mostly corrupted and beyond saving, whereas Diana regards mankind as full of hope.  The Amazons consider war the easiest way to settle conflict, while Diana carries an inherent message of peace.  It is really a fairly common motif in fiction, that of the child sheltered from the world, who upon venturing out discovers it is not as dangerous a place as once imagined, yet is met with resistance when trying to convey those ideas upon his or her return.  So while the new versions may seem more hostile in certain respects, this aspect of Diana has always been one which is fundamental to her nature and those of other heroes. 

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Exactly right and I have alluded to this as well in some posts I've made about Diana in the New 52. She has hardly been on totally cordial terms with the remainder of her Amazon sisters either in the old order or this current one. Like you say, its all part of her character to be at odds with them. Very well done if I might say.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @RedheadedAtrocitus: I was thinking about this later and it is a common enough theme in fiction, Luke Skywalker is another example
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: A sharp observation indeed! I can totally see how Skywalker's philosophy as a future Jedi conflicts with those of the old Jedi Order that preceded him.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @RedheadedAtrocitus: Urp, I meant more like with Uncle Owen
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: Ohhh, haha. Well yes the difference is definitely there as well with regard to Luke's upbringing on the Lars moisture farm.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

Isn't Wonder Woman different though?? She has had like 4 different origins, but isn't she born out of divine will (sculpted clay)or something....whereas the Amazons were born by conventional means

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cattlebattle: They were all born of clay, though just at different times
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @cattlebattle: They were all born of clay, though just at different times
    Oooooooh...I thought they were born in mans world, then they were moved to Themyscara, with Diana being the only on island birth, I'm not exactly the biggest WW fan. I actually think I got that idea from the Animated movie
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cattlebattle: Might have been, the canon version is that they were born of the clay of the Aegean (which is Ares' sea, thus some say they are his daughters).  Others have come from the world of man, Cassie Sandsmark for instance was inducted as an Amazon.  Others such as the Amazons of Bana Mighdall (of which Artemis is the most prominent member) left under Antiope and then came back in modern times.  Diana I think is the only one born of clay actually on Themyscira though as the others were born elsewhere then went there as a punishment.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cattlebattle
    @RazzaTazz said:

@cattlebattle: Might have been, the canon version is that they were born of the clay of the Aegean (which is Ares' sea, thus some say they are his daughters).  Others have come from the world of man, Cassie Sandsmark for instance was inducted as an Amazon.  Others such as the Amazons of Bana Mighdall (of which Artemis is the most prominent member) left under Antiope and then came back in modern times.  Diana I think is the only one born of clay actually on Themyscira though as the others were born elsewhere then went there as a punishment.

Aha, Yeah, I'm pretty much only familiar with Wonder Womans animated and televised tales, I remember in the Justice League show, Hades (I think) helped Hippolyta sculpt her or something to that affect, I thought that  made sense as Hades is the God of War and Diana is a premier warrior.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cattlebattle: Could be ... in the golden age Ares was Hippolyta's father and thus Diana's grandfather
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @cattlebattle: Could be ... in the golden age Ares was Hippolyta's father and thus Diana's grandfather
    Oh, geez, I'm sorry...I have the dumb today :(     I meant Ares, not Hades. Yeah,It was implied on that show that Ares helped sculpt her. That would a good reason why she may be different from her sisters....you would figure she would be more aggressive though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.