Did You Know Allan Heinberg Is Working On The Wonder Woman Show?

#1 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you know that Allan Heinberg is working on the Wonder Woman TV show Amazon as an executive producer?

He created and wrote the Young Avengers comic for Marvel, and he's written nd produced the following shows:

-The O.C.

-Gilmore Girls

-Party of Five

-Grey's Anatomy

After co-writing a 5-issue arc of DC Comics's JLA, Heinberg and artist Terry Dodson relaunched Wonder Woman following the "Infinite Crisis" mini-series.

Has anyone read his run? If so, can you tell us about it?

How does it make you feel knowing that Amazon has a Joss Whedon-like creator on it?

Personally, I love Heinberg's work on Young Avengers and The O.C. (a totally underrated show--this is coming from a guy), so I'm really happy to hear that he's working on Amazon. He can clearly create shows/stories that appeal to guys and shows that appeal to girls. And he doesn't dumb down women--he invented Kate Bishop for crissakes!

Sound off below!

#2 Posted by Uvula (20 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny, I guess I never really thought about it but they are going to try and market Wonder Woman to a specific female audience (or at least I get that impression from the other shows you mentioned). Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that scan just cospaly or from the actual show?

#4 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

I´LL LOOK UP HIS RUN, BUT I NEVER HEARD OF IT. I´VE HEARD OF HIM. DON´T LIKE THE SHOWS APART FROM YOUNG JUSTICE

#5 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Is that scan just cospaly or from the actual show?

Cosplay.

#6 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8858 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea of the creator of an abomination like Gilmore Girls and the O.C being anywhere near a wonder woman Tv show fills me with horror and despair.

#7 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Comicvine, he's only done four issues:

#8 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

So they got a guy who's produced a bunchy of c**ppy prime time soap operas in order to market an Amazon warrior princess to a general female audience?

Actually, that's...brilliant.

#9 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi: And he knows Wonder Woman. So we won't get something like that Ally McBeal Wonder Woman that was on NBC.

#10 Posted by sky-pirate (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: He wasn't the creator of either show. He was merely a writer and producer on them.

#11 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio
@OutlawRenegade: Interesting.
#12 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8858 posts) - - Show Bio

@sky-pirate said:

He was merely a writer

Yeah that's better, right...

#13 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: The first season of the O.C. is actually really good. I was hooked on the first episode. It goes downhill after the first season though. There was a lot of good character development and I like coming-of-age stories.

#14 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8858 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Crom-Cruach: The first season of the O.C. is actually really good. I was hooked on the first episode. It goes downhill after the first season though. There was a lot of good character development and I like coming-of-age stories.

Every episode of the O.C I watched, whatever the season were moments of my life wasted on unbridled trash I hated every second of that I will never get back.

Sorry but this announcement only leaves me disgusted.

#15 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Every episode of the O.C I watched, whatever the season were moments of my life wasted on unbridled trash I hated every second of that I will never get back.

Sorry but this announcement only leaves me disgusted.

Sorry to hear that, man...

#16 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Heinberg's run was awful. He dove right in with "Who is Wonder Woman?" having her constantly question herself and her reasons was absolutely counter character, it was really disappointing. I've never seen a recommendation to this arc by anyone as it's not a pinnacle or flattering story for Wonder Woman.

#17 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (739 posts) - - Show Bio

Heinberg's run sold very well and it was really Wonder Woman.

It was an interesting premise, while Diana goes off to find herself Donna Troy adopts the Wonder Woman mantle and promptly gets her ass kicked. BAD! Diana has to take back over and in the final issue (the annual) there's a knock down, drag out, melee where she fights all of her reinvented rogues to a stand still. Along the way a status quo was set up that mirrored an updated version of the tv show, except with her classic supervillains.

Nemesis replaces Steve Trevor and has a flirtatious relationship with Diana as they warm to each other and fall in love. It was fun, and the art was fantastic! The Dodsons created the BEST Wonder Woman costume in history and she never looked better. There were hidden stars in the art, and Easter eggs, and the dialogue was snappy and often laugh out loud funny.

The book was clever, slick, glossy but always late and that was it's only problem. Heinberg's inability to keep to a schedule destroyed the momentum and caused some fans to reject it. The annual (the culmination of the story) came out months after Jodi Picoult started writing and by that time people were pissed and didn't care.

It also didn't help that it came on the heels of Rucka's run. He got unceremoniously fired by Didio after telling a well received, critically acclaimed, epic that drastically increased sales. Anything that followed that was going to be unfairly scrutinized by fans, but most people loved Heinberg's run at first. The only exception were those who thought it too light compared to Rucka's uber-serious take.

#18 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (739 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

According to Comicvine, he's only done four issues:

There were five.

#19 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I imagine a scene where Wonder Woman chases Cheetah across Africa for days while playing dramatic music.

#20 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Dodson's art was the awesome.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

What he did in the comic books was good and I liked it a lot but as making actual TV Shows I am not impressed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.