Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Diana's Costume is to prove a point

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Marston's costume was to prove a point about women and still does. That a woman shouldn't be judged on how she dresses but her actions. Many female heroes are designs are with out purpose, just eye candy but Diana was to prove a point

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Handling in the right way Diana costume is speaking against sexual assault and labeling someone a slut.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phil Jimenez talks a little about this topic in a recent CBR article.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51620

Not relevant to slut shaming, I think that there are too many who feel that the uniform she wears is the only way that she can ever be seen, yet Batman has a suit for every situation and minute of the week. Using her suit as a base and expanding on that look for various reasons could be very entertaining.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SayaOtonashi

I wouldn't mind if she wore pants or other designs. I have seen great designs. I'm just saying her first costume, should be be viewed.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you think the skirt design is the one that should prevail above all other interpretations? With your second post, I thought you were talking about the swim trunks & bustier.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SayaOtonashi

@super-wonder:

Also her first costume wasn't a skirt but loose shorts. What I mean by first is the costume she wears when she first appears i the outside world. I actually would like track shorts

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, I had to look that up! I always thought it was a skirt, but they're skorts, you're right.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SayaOtonashi

@super-wonder: Many get confused by that, I feel shorts will be a nice balances. Especially if they model it after track shorts. What do u think about her costume?

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: Many get confused by that

Yeah LOL no kidding.

I feel shorts will be a nice balances. Especially if they model it after track shorts.What do u think about her costume?

To be honest with you, I'm conflicted. I can say definitively that I'm not a fan of the shorts look and I think that it has more to do with the over emphasis on the star spangled pattern than the shorts, it's too much for my taste. Perhaps i would be sold on it more if there two stars one on each thigh than a whole field of them. I do see where you're coming from though.

For me, full leggings are the way to go and it looked like DC was going to follow through with that at the launch of this New 52 initiative. I felt that she could be taken more seriously without her ass cheeks hanging out of her trunks, but this notion is coming from a western culture conditioning which is very repressive and condemning to things like this that shouldn't be treated with such a heavy hand. Now don't get me wrong, I love cheesecake as much as the next guy but my respect for her character dictates that she be fully dressed. Every other member of the JL is.

This brings me to what I think Diana would feel about this. She's a character from a far away land, raised in a culture of women who are proficient in violent arts. So far removed from Western ideals, I don't think that she would have ever considered for a moment that she was dressed provocatively, and i think that she wouldn't be bothered if she had to do the job without a stitch on, save for her tiara and bracelets.

So I say pants all the way but I don't think Diana would agree with my reasoning . . . I don't know if that makes sense.

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

I think people focus entirely too much on practicality and comic book heroes. She's a fictional character, but yet when people look at her classic costume, they overthink it and say to themselves "how does she fight in this?" It's really not that deep.

No, I don't think she should only have one costume, as I liked some of the other costumes she's worn. This is a defense of her wearing that classic costume. The one that's most recognizable to the average layperson. One could argue that she wears that costume as a symbol of resistance to patriarchal masculine ideas about how a woman should dress. The colors are bright, she's showing skin, but yet she's still got pieces of ARMOR. The classic costume was designed to make her stand out, and when people try to cover her up or masculinize her, it's almost as if she loses that special element. But I believe there's a place where artists can find a happy medium between outfits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like her with blue tight pants

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SayaOtonashi

@super-wonder: What do u think about this design I did not draw this.

No Caption Provided

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I think the shorts were a big statement back then and I guess the debate is whether there are still necessary today. Slut shaming is a very real thing but its a bit of a more complex subject when you're talking about a fictional character. The statement the shorts made isn't as relevant now a days, and sometimes the costume comes across as cheesecake, but at the same time saying something like she needs pants now to be taken seriously doesn't seem right. Ultimately I don't think changing to pants would be that big of a deal though.

No Caption Provided

The one they did a while back wasn't bad but I didn't care for the jacket. The only thing that really has to be done is fade away from the flag thing a little which I think is something they did well with the 52 costume. If they were going to make another costume with pants though I'd like to see something inspired by this.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I personally don't like the pants or skirt look. I love her swimsuit. <3

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sayaotonashi: I think that looks great! It's kinda in line with what Chaing is doing on the series now. Other artists aren't succeeding in this fashion, but Ido understand @dianaxkal's position too.

As I mentioned before, I'm conflicted. But this design does look good.

@muffin_sangria: that looks like it could be interesting, I'd like to see what someone like JH Whillaims would do with that look on Diana, I bet it would be amazing.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SayaOtonashi

@super-wonder: I might not be a fan of Azz's run but I love how Diana is drew. Her outfit is balances. Did u see Chaing pictures of golden age Wonder Woman?

No Caption Provided

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sayaotonashi: what shorts? She wears panties and a bustier, it's very burlesque and they also look like someone painted them on her. She's basically naked. Wonder Woman is an exceptionally good looking lady who wears a needlessly revealing outfit to fight bad guys in public places. How does that come across, realistically. It hardly inspires women to be more comfortable with their bodies, she's flawless why would Wonder Woman be ashamed of her 36-24-36.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: In the golden age she wore shorts. Chaing art make it look like something.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArchiZoom

@sayaotonashi: yes but Chiang is unique in that he possesses the faculty of thinking.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: unlike JL version. Look I'm not saying she shouldn't have other costume but why the costume was designed. It still holds true but to each his own.

gerbil13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what do you guys think about wonder woman having a greek style outfit like the one Andromeda (Rosamund Pike) wore in the second clash of the titans film, obviously it would be coloured differently with a tiara ect ect.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.