Diana and the power of flight?

#1 Posted by ThemysciraNative (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Over the years I have read different comics and watched different shows with different takes on Diana's power of flight. There are three main ones:

1) Diana can simply fly

2) Diana uses air currents to "glide"

3) Diana can not fly

So what do you think? Which one works the best or is the best? GO

#2 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThemysciraNative: Maybe she can fly using telekinetic power?

#3 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

In this latest interpretation, (issue 12 I think) Hermes pricked her skin with the quill of one of his feathers and this is speculated to have given her the power of flight, a power that was not clearly shown before.

#4 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In the beginning, both Superman and Wonder Woman could not fly but once airplanes became very common, their powers had to be upgraded to keep up with human technology. If humans start to travel to space more, both Superman and Wonder Woman probably will be upgraded for space travel also. Superman seems to be zipping to planets in our solar system easily these days. It is also about time to upgrade the powers of Flash for flight or even space travel.

#5 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl flew all the way back to Krypton's remains, looking for her family. It didn't appear that she was gone for long either.

For Wonder Woman, she's had the invisible jet from day 1 but becomes a novelty through out her history. I like that she can fly on her own by what ever means.

#6 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

yes she can fly.... hermes gave her the ability in #13

#7 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

In the beginning, both Superman and Wonder Woman could not fly but once airplanes became very common, their powers had to be upgraded to keep up with human technology. If humans start to travel to space more, both Superman and Wonder Woman probably will be upgraded for space travel also. Superman seems to be zipping to planets in our solar system easily these days. It is also about time to upgrade the powers of Flash for flight or even space travel.

That's just weird.

#8 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wboy said:

@colonyofcells said:

That's just weird.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Barry was able to "run through space" back in the day. HIm and Superman had a race across the universe or something like that.

@ThemysciraNative: Back in her original origin she was made from clay and blessed by the god's. I always saw her powers as very analogous with Captain Marvel's. While he could fly and assume the speed of Mercury, she could fly and assume the speed of Hermes.

#9 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (756 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

Has she flown since?

#10 Posted by ThemysciraNative (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: That's a good point. I guess I don't remember ever seeing her fly recently but I'm not sure

#11 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League 14 I think.

#12 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@cloudzackvincent said:

Has she flown since?

yes

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic is simply the best way to explain it in any given circumstance. With her history it just works best.

#14 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (756 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@cloudzackvincent said:

Has she flown since?

yes

Thanks a lot man. I'm glad I dropped the book at 12, it seems the art is getting even worse.

#15 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: no problem dude... and yea the art is getting to the point of being unbearable.. i wonder what has Cliff Chiang been up to.

#16 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent: The art isnt that bad. Definitely not a reason to drop such an amazing book

#17 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (756 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: It's amazing to YOU and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I on the other hand have read Wonder Woman all my life...until now. It's not written for me or my sensibilities, Azzarello made a concerted effort to piss off most long term fans and in that he was successful. Therefore I'll leave all the bad puns, bad art, plot holes, gods of the month and various scene stealing supporting characters to you and his fans. This isn't Wonder Woman to me, and I refuse to accept some cynical substitute that's a bit player in her own eponymous title.

#18 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: Do you prefer her characterization in Justice League?

#19 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

No, not particularly, she's vapid and one note but at least she stabbed Darkseid in the eye and kicked Green Lantern's ass. However I did thoroughly enjoy the AME-Comi WW issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MtLnaaxac
#20 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read those Ame-Comi stories yet, I'll have to check it out. That Green Lantern Asswoopin' did leave a smile on my face. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your choice to abandon the character though. I'm not 100% happy with the book either but there redeeming qualities. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I would like for them to publish her more often.

#21 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@Press Oblivion said:

No, not particularly, she's vapid and one note but at least she stabbed Darkseid in the eye and kicked Green Lantern's ass. However I did thoroughly enjoy the AME-Comi WW issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MtLnaaxac

i really liked H\her Ame Comi books too. But i stopped reading after the WW arc was over.

@jointron33 said:

@cloudzackvincent: The art isnt that bad. Definitely not a reason to drop such an amazing book

i never said i was going to drop it..its my favourite book, however i think even u must miss Cliff Chiang's art.

#22 Posted by Speedforce23 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer her to be able to fly.

#23 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it more when she can't fly, but can super leap. She seems like less of a warrior when she flys all the time. I want to see her more like this:

And not having her fly makes the jet make sense. It also explains why the other Amazons can't fly--because none of them can!

#24 Edited by GWHH (576 posts) - - Show Bio

does any of the others "amazons" fly?

#25 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

When Wonder Woman started, she did not fly. The male children of the amazons also don't fly.

#26 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

The jet sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.