Design of the Gods??

#1 Edited by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

How does everyone else feel about the character designs for the supporting cast?

The Gods however I feel are lacking in uniqueness(if thats a word). Hera, Eros, Aphrodite, Ares, and guy with rock hard skin, otherss...I feel are are rather bland in looks. Idunno, someone prove me wrong if you'd like its an iffy issue for me.

#2 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

The ruling planet of Aries is Mars, which was named after Ares. Aries is symbolized by a ram(cancer by a crab, leo by lion, taurus by a bull..etc). When Ares puts on his helmet with the ram horns on it, the helmet coupled with his beard, makes him look like a ram. So it makes sense, in a somewhat obscure(?) way.

#3 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I like their bizarre look, but I don't think they look very godly at all if you ask me.

#4 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the looks.... gives a horror genre feel and i would say these are the most *unique* designs of the greek gods in comics

#5 Edited by Izaiah (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Apollo, Artemis, Demeter and Hermes, indifferent about Hera, Hephaestus, Ares and Eris, dislike Hades, Persephone and Poseidon. 
Characterization-wise I intensely dislike Hades (in the mythology, he was not even close to being as evil as WW has him be), and I am a bit annoyed at how Hera's pettiness has been exaggerated.

#6 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Hades' appearance was so poorly conceived that it was distracting

#7 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun said:

The ruling planet of Aries is Mars, which was named after Ares. Aries is symbolized by a ram(cancer by a crab, leo by lion, taurus by a bull..etc). When Ares puts on his helmet with the ram horns on it, the helmet coupled with his beard, makes him look like a ram. So it makes sense, in a somewhat obscure(?) way.

I guess that makes sense yeah but there's the whole viking look there to...and then I look at the earth 2 art that I see as Ares and I want to swap places!!!!

@RazzaTazz said:

Yeah he was also confusing to look, I didn't realize they were just melted candles and not a birthday cake since he was a child and I made that connection.....

All in all I feel like just saying,"....these are the Gods they revere so much..?" In terms of looks. What happens when the New Gods of Apocalypse come by?

#8 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEE the new designs...some of them are mediocre, but most of them are absolutely great.

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Poseidon, but I hope he has a more humanoid form to revert to

@Wboy said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Yeah he was also confusing to look, I didn't realize they were just melted candles and not a birthday cake since he was a child and I made that connection....

look at the top of his head

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (5734 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wboy said:

I guess that makes sense yeah but there's the whole viking look there to...and then I look at the earth 2 art that I see as Ares and I want to swap places!!!!

That's Steppenwolf, not Ares.

#11 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Wboy said:

That's Steppenwolf, not Ares.

Oh..lolz i assumed since it was Donna that was Ares. Anyway still a good Ares design.

#12 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

I loved Poseidon, but I hope he has a more humanoid form to revert to

@Wboy said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Yeah he was also confusing to look, I didn't realize they were just melted candles and not a birthday cake since he was a child and I made that connection....

look at the top of his head

that a candle?

#13 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

The Greek gods are pretty petty. They fight amongst themselves all the time. I like the portrayal so far. It is a modern take on how they acted back in the day. The only one I don't understand is Demeter, but I am sure that will be changed soon.

#14 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually the gods are very uniquely designed. They are anything but bland. They're what I call a modern take on Gods.

#15 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

What really started to get me into the Wonder Woman comic (its now one of my favorite DC comics) was the design of the gods. I really like Apollo and Hades is actually really interesting, my initial reaction was mixed but I've come to really like the melted candle head. I do hope Poseidon has a more humanoid form as well.

#16 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them, they look different with actual hints of their mythological past. Better than a bunch of people in togas or a Chaos Warrior claiming to be Ares.

#17 Posted by LeonardDreiberg (41 posts) - - Show Bio

makes a great point about the horror fell. It's almost as if Wonder Woman has become a Vertigo title. 's comment is on target as well. What we have here is a re-imagining of the gods for a modern world. Nothing about them is out of line with their classical depictions (and they've all had many) while keeping things fresh and original. is right on. One of the points of the gods in later Greek mythology was to mirror and emphasize human nature. As far as the distinguished goes, I think Ares has a Destruction of the Endless feel. They're taking some liberties with him (and Demeter) for some reason. It all feels so very Gaiman-esque that I'm not thrown by the beautiful weirdness of it all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.