Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

David Finch Preview on ComicVine

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are a lot of people commenting directly on the article, but I thought I'd start a thread here to see what other fans of Wonder Woman think of the recent preview of David Finch's art:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-wonder-woman-36/1100-149344/

What do you all think?

I was pretty vocal about my reservations about Finch, but I'll take it all back if this is a good indication of how the book is going to look. It's obviously a big departure from Chiang, but I wouldn't expect the new artist to continue in that direction. Finch's look is a bit on the conventional side, so I'll miss Chiang's unique look. But it's well executed convention.

I still remain skeptical of the writing and don't understand why DC would give one of their premier characters to someone with almost no track record, but maybe she'll be as pleasant a surprise as the art.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dmessmer

That's a good point about the amount of stuff jammed in (JL and Swamp Thing). Again, it doesn't bode well for the writing.

I guess I don't mind the younger look. Azzarello established her as being quite young (23, if I recall), but she never felt that young in either her actions or her look, which always bothered me. So maybe Finch will be a bit more consistent in that regard.

The writing though... I'm bracing myself for the writing.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Sadly the art looks like the bland-sandwich I was expecting, might look better or worse after the colorists and inkers have had their shots at this.

Story wise it's the same story, from the preview, it looks a lot more like Johns' barbarian than Azzarello's Diana.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArchiZoom

@toplel: His pencils always look very good from a technical point of view, the ones he did for Forever Evil were extraordinary too. Wait until you see the final colored product though, we got the same inker and colorist that collabed with David Finch on Forever Evil, I guarantee it's gonna look rubbish.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My faith is not restored.

Beata

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer said:

+

I guess I don't mind the younger look. Azzarello established her as being quite young (23, if I recall), but she never felt that young in either her actions or her look, which always bothered me. So maybe Finch will be a bit more consistent in that regard.

+

To be fair your not exactly gonna act like a typical 23 years old if you are an amazon princess.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer said:

That's a good point about the amount of stuff jammed in (JL and Swamp Thing). Again, it doesn't bode well for the writing.

The writing though... I'm bracing myself for the writing.

not sure her age was actually Azzarello's decision ... she was made 18 during the launch of the N52's JL which takes place 5 years prior to the events in her solo series. I think it's more likely that Azzarello and Chiang pretty much just wrote and depicted her how they envisioned her rather than try to make her appear a certain age.

I would like for Finch to make her look a little older than what he's done with the preview I've seen (she looks 16 to me), but like you I'm waiting on the writing ... before I make any decisions on the run I'll give them at least one full story arc ... at least that's what I keep telling myself :)

Milokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx: actually, to be fair, we don't know what an amazon princess would act like since Themyscira doesn't actually exist in the real world.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That looked like Swamp Thing. If so, I'm really happy to see Wonder Woman in the world of Swamp Thing. Being in Swamp Thing is something that I was hoping to see. Or, it's some type of creature, I still like what I'm seeing; looks like a fresh new direction. But the down side is Swamp Thing (or the creature) is getting owned and Wonder Woman looks to be getting an easy victory.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's better than the one where Diana looked fourteen. Shows he can age a character, if he wants to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.