CW's Wonder Woman Television Show Pushed Back

• 57 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The CW recently issued a slew of pilots for the network's upcoming pilot season including a spin-off of Vampire Diaries titled The Originals, as well as a remake of British 70's sci-fi series The Tomorrow People. However, one series that had been rumored as being in the beginning stages of production for the network was very obviously missing from the list of shows that we'll be seeing this fall. Namely, Amazon, the rumored series that has had YOUNG AVENGERS writer Allan Heinberg attached.

Heinberg's name first popped up in connection to the script for Amazon, which at that point had not been "contractually guaranteed" or even greenlit by Warner and the CW. The latest news about the show is that it is garnering a lot of interest from the CW network which claims the series is currently waiting on the script by Heinberg. Additionally, the show had begun its preliminary casting back in November, and it seems they are still looking for the right person for the role.

== TEASER ==

The success of the CW's Arrow is likely not lost on the network as the show premiered back in October with a whopping 4 million viewers and its ratings have remained consistent throughout. If the network gets their hands on a script they feel they can back, then there is still a chance that the network will "order an off-cycle pilot," meaning that it will go into production relatively earlier.

The question remains, will they manage to find the right actress to play Diana? And will this show be set on Paradise Island, or will it be more grounded in reality like Arrow? We're thinking the latter, but what do you think? What do they need to look for in an actress for this series? What are you hoping to see? Will Amazon be as successful as Arrow?

Source: Deadline and Vulture

#1 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it isn't canceled like two other shows....

*grumble, grumble*

#2 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, I know once upon a time Wonder Woman had a wonderful TV show, but I really think her property would be better suited for a movie.

#3 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9004 posts) - - Show Bio

It may be for the better. I don't want them to rush the show

#4 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

After Smallville and watching some of Arrow I don't give much attention to DC's live action T.V. shows. Man...sometimes I feel like the only one who thought Smallville wasn't good. Oh well.

#5 Posted by Fetts (4449 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if I'd want to see this show and Arrow in a crossover. I think it'd be interesting, as crossovers always are. But somehow I don't think that would work out. It seems like Arrow is doing there best not to use any super-powered heroes or villains.

#6 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Look, I know once upon a time Wonder Woman had a wonderful TV show, but I really think her property would be better suited for a movie.

totally agree, but im still hoping this works out and is good, because at least it will be something

#7 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (727 posts) - - Show Bio

I love "Arrow", I have faith in the CW and Allan Heinberg's ability to pull it off.

#8 Edited by StMichalofWilson (3765 posts) - - Show Bio

These companies are are messing up good possibilites of live action superhero shows(and cartoons). The people who run this stuff really need to be fired.

#9 Posted by Pokeysteve (8253 posts) - - Show Bio

Whether she comes to TV or film, it's going to be terrible. WB just doesn't understand their characters. As hard as she is to get right, this has no chance.

#10 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I forgot this was even still happening. I have to say I'm not thrilled by the concept of the series, but we'll see how it goes.

#11 Edited by judasnixon (6497 posts) - - Show Bio

Man this is a crap day to be a DC fan. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that they rehired Rob Liefeld, that martian manhunter had aids, and Michael Bay was directing the next Batman film.........

#12 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of bad news for DC TV fans. But I can't imagine that the show had much hope. Wonder Woman is too big for TV, she deserves the big screen. I'd hate for us to get a B-Grade Diana with all sorts of mucky CW drama on such a low budget.

@Pokeysteve said:

Whether she comes to TV or film, it's going to be terrible. WB just doesn't understand their characters. As hard as she is to get right, this has no chance.

QFT

#13 Posted by Sidious (61 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously?? A remake of Tomorrow People?? THAT'S AWESOME!!

#14 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little surprised they're looking for cast even before a scripts is completed. Pushed back dates aren't a great sign in TV production. And would they want a show out that counters a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie?

Has ARROW really done well?

#15 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont watch cartoons anymore so im more hoping for a wonder woman movie.

#16 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: smallville fucked over my fav charater kara aka laura vandervoort so smallville was not that great it had moments but not that great it took clark ten years to get off his ass and fly.

#17 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

As a huge Wonder Woman fan the fact that Diana is being reduced to a television show is upsetting to me. She is one of the three most recognizable and iconic superheroes in the histoy of comics and yet she gets treated like a D list character. I mean seriously Green Lantern got a movie before Wonder Woman (also a big fan of GL). Wonder Woman needs to be treated with the respect that she deserves and she needs to be given a movie and not just a decent movie but a good one. WB is good at hiring writers and directors that understand Superman and Batman, but they can't seem to get the same response for their other characters.

While Wonder Woman is a superhero the one thing that noone seems to be able to get right about her is that you cannot treat her like one. Wonder Woman is an Amazon warrior and therefore she must be treated as one. She must be treated as a warrior, the same way that Thor is treated and the same way that Hercules is treated. Just look to Xena for inspiration on making a Wonder Woman movie.

#18 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@LoganRogue24: Another who sees reason! Hello there good friend. I can't believe he fought pretty much every villian...PRETTY MUCH EVERY VILLIAN and formed the "Justice League" before he even became Superman. It was terrible.

#19 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it isn't canceled, like others have said, but it still awful that they didn't pick her to showcase. I don't know if the show would have been good or bad--since I've not seen it--but it would have been great to finally have a show about a woman comic book character.

#20 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

Shockerrrrrrrrrr

#21 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't say I'm not disappointed but I'd rather them take their time and do the show right by writing a good pilot and casting a good lead than rushing the show into production and assuming people will watch it whether it's good or not (as ABC seems to be doing with SHIELD).

#22 Posted by fables87 (978 posts) - - Show Bio

Which Wonder Woman era is the show going to focus on? I hope they use the new one.

#23 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is it will be done Smallville style so Diana will probably be in high school or college.

#24 Posted by StayclassyMarvel (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't make her a realistic city character like ARROW. But as the title suggests, AMAZON would probably feature ww as an Amazon on Paradise Island. If it's going to work with the JL movie, odds are the series will be about Wonder Woman's pre-superhero mythological adventures. That'd be awesome

#25 Posted by MacBulldog (3 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue with WW is that the general public doesn't really "get" her and is largely unaware of her more modern incarnations. They think of invisible planes, bullet blocking bracelets and Lynda Carter lamely spinning to transform from Diana Prince into Wonder Woman. Sad but true. I recently described WW to someone who was dismissive of her as "kind of like Thor, but with Greek myth, not Norse. A total badass warrior who carries a sword and isnt afraid to cleave heads.. And on top of all that, she's the hottest woman on the planet." That's when he "got it". But sadly, I doubt they'll take this tack for the TV show. Something more lame, more watered-down will get put out. And it will be another disservice to this totally awesome character.

#26 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

That is too bad, I will still watch it when it comes out.

#27 Posted by Teerack (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure it'll come out right after the Mockingbird show Marvel wanted to make. HA!

#28 Posted by nappystr8 (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got nothing but love for Allan Heinberg, so I'm not saying this show will be bad, but it still seems like a terrible idea right now. Either you have a series completely separate from Justice League film, which will just confuse people, or you cast an actress as Wonder Woman who's cheap enough and has high enough availability to sign on to a CW television series. Lose lose.

#29 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

At the moment either Hulk, Thor, Flash, or Aquaman should get there own TV show

#30 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey do you want it done quick or do you want it done right? Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe...

#31 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not going to work. I just know it's going to suck somehow.

#32 Posted by dondave (36580 posts) - - Show Bio

If there pushing it back to do it properly, I don't mind

#33 Posted by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

TV is overrated ....

#34 Posted by MightyMODOK (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@mk111 said:

At least it isn't canceled like two other shows....

*grumble, grumble*

Yeah...

*grumble, grumble*

#35 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

After Smallville and watching some of Arrow I don't give much attention to DC's live action T.V. shows. Man...sometimes I feel like the only one who thought Smallville wasn't good. Oh well.

you're not alone....I don't like Smallville either.

#36 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they find a Wonder Woman actress who can actually act well (sorry Arrow...) I don't mind waiting as long as it takes for the show.

#37 Posted by The Average Bear (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

As long as they find a Wonder Woman actress who can actually act well (sorry Arrow...) I don't mind waiting as long as it takes for the show.

I feel like in Arrow, the main actor just stares intensely throughout half the show

Olivers family: "Oliver, something ridiculous has come up! I'm not going to understand your PTSD from being tortured on an island and I'm going to get upset with you for (insert whatever here)"

Olver: *stares*

#38 Posted by Delphic (1469 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I'm not surprised.

#39 Posted by HellknightLeon (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't watch anything on the CW... I don't think I ever will.(or did) But... I might watch this if it was on. The more they push it back the more I feel like its on the chopping block. It has to be cut at this point. Right? If it comes out I will watch it. Yet... That will never happen.

#40 Posted by wmwadeii (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't' CWafy it. I enjoy Arrow when they stay "Comic Book" like but when they go off on the drama side stories I can do without. Its the whole reason I didn't find Beauty & the Beast interesting when I watched it with my wife. If they make it more like a beginning story about her growing up and do flashback to the Island, kinda like a Smallville meets Arrow, it could be interesting.

#41 Edited by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant said:

To be honest, Clark used his speed so much in smallville since he could not fly, it was pretty much like watching the Flash (with the occasional use of other Super powers). Granted, that is how Superman should be written (with a bit more intelligence though - yes we know they needed to make Chloe relevant).

I like both shows but if people have seen Smallville and Arrow, and you complain about how Wonder Women is written in comics, and you honestly think the show will capture her 'essence' better than the comic, do yourself a favour and cancel your cable or access to CW ... like right now!

#42 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

a cartoon series set after the cartoon movie hopefully it won't get cancelled D:<

#43 Posted by DjBest02 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

You're not alone my friend. I tried getting into it and did not like it :)

#44 Posted by TheCannon (18318 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not looking forward to this at all. I don't see what the Hell is wrong with giving her a movie.

#45 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6651 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope it's in the same universe as ARROW.

#47 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@jeanroygrant said:

To be honest, Clark used his speed so much in smallville since he could not fly, it was pretty much like watching the Flash (with the occasional use of other Super powers). Granted, that is how Superman should be written (with a bit more intelligence though - yes we know they needed to make Chloe relevant).

I like both shows but if people have seen Smallville and Arrow, and you complain about how Wonder Women is written in comics, and you honestly think the show will capture her 'essence' better than the comic, do yourself a favour and cancel your cable or access to CW ... like right now!

Sorta.

#48 Posted by saoakden (1040 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Wonder Woman. Seems she can't get her own live action movie or tv show. Superman sure, Batman, no on live action show, yes to movies and multiple cartoons, Green Arrow, yes to show. Wonder Woman, No. I would watch this show, but I can't for one reason or another. Maybe next time Wonder Woman, your time will come.

#49 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1858 posts) - - Show Bio

Of coarse.

The fact that it's getting delayed should be enough to tell us it'll be awesome, if Young Justice was any example.

#50 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

Is never going to happen. Let's be realistic here.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.