Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

CW is adapting Wonder Woman for television

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pokeysteve

This is the article from Deadline:

To all actresses in their early to mid-20s who are 5’8″ or taller — you may be TV’s next Wonder Woman. I’ve learned that Warner Bros. TV, the studio behind the CW drama project Amazon, has hired a casting director to launch a search for the lead in the project in anticipation of a potential pilot pickup. A breakdown for the role has been released, providing a glimpse into the Tarzan-like fish-out-of-water premise and the central character of the Wonder Woman origin story written by Allan Heinberg that chronicles the female superhero’s life as a young Amazonian, before she becomes a warrior princess with super powers.
    According to the breakdown I’ve obtained, her name is Iris (not Diana). “She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted ­and just as often horrified ­ by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling ­to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see ­and things to learn ­and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere.”
    The casting search is being done while the script for the project is still being written. It is not unusual for studios to do preliminary casting work on high-profile projects before a green light, especially those whose success hinges on casting the lead. The CW is having its biggest hit in years this fall with a show about a DC superhero, freshman Arrow, so the network’s desire to try to emulate that success with another comic book-inspired franchise is understandable.

My personal opinion on this is it's effing ridiculous. She won't even be named Diana. It's Iris now. Smallville ran for 10 years so now every DC character is getting "before they were" series now. I hope this fails. Your thoughts fellow DIANA fans?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

...Iris? Really?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By KnightRise

@Mercy_ said:

...Iris? Really?

Not okay. Not okay.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe Iris is just a temporary name for casting purposes. My belief is they will use the Diana Prince name if they put her in high school like Smallville tv season 1 Clark Kent. Looking forward to high school sex for Diana Prince.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By jrock85

There's no way her name is going to be Iris.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

Who the Frack is Iris? Iris West?

wwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wwmm

Calm down it's a casting call.. Iris is a code name so they can at least make it somewhat a secret, it's somewhat of a decoy description Keep in mind that a lot of actors when they audition they didn't really know who they r playing until hafl way or even until they got the part.....

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pokeysteve

@wwmm said:

Calm down it's a casting call.. Iris is a code name so they can at least make it somewhat a secret, it's somewhat of a decoy description Keep in mind that a lot of actors when they audition they didn't really know who they r playing until hafl way or even until they got the part.....

Lol reread the first line in the article again. Not much of a secret when they come right out and say "Wonder Woman". I understand that it's SO stupid that's it's hard to wrap your head around. I must have sat and blinked (and cried) at this article for a good five minutes before I started to breathe again.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Pokeysteve:i don't know what to think,wonder woman needs to be more exposed outsuide comics,because that will make her comic sales improve,but i don't know if this is the right way to do it.

i think they have to make a good written story for wonder woman comic then make an animated series based on it to make the character gain a wider audience,that would be the best way to make the first step,and try to market her outside the comics.

wwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wwmm

I am guessing that they have tried to make it a secret but because its practically looks like a Wonder Woman story that the author just flat out assume it is Wonder Woman which is probably is. Remember when Anne Hathaway audition as Selina she didn't really know that she will be portraying a cat woman or just Selina Kyle until half way through the casting call

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jphulk26

I wouldn´t be surprised if it is Iris, DC take such liberties with the character, Why not Iris?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By colonyofcells

Diana Prince has been used in tv before and my guess is cw will follow that name if the show is picked up. Cw Smallville used its own tv mythology so it will definitely also differ from the comics if they do a young Diana or teen Diana show. In comics mythology, Wonder Woman started her super hero career as an adult. The cw mythology will probably have Diana playing super hero without a costume at a younger age similar to the Smallville super Clark Kent show that run for 10 seasons. Super Clark Kent went around doing good with no costume and no code name for most of the seasons. In the last few seasons, the code name being used was Blur.

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By geoff2005

@colonyofcells said:

Diana Prince has been used in tv before and my guess is cw will follow that name if the show is picked up. Cw Smallville used its own tv mythology so it will definitely also differ from the comics if they do a young Diana or teen Diana show. In comics mythology, Wonder Woman started her super hero career as an adult. The cw mythology will probably have Diana playing super hero without a costume at a younger age similar to the Smallville super Clark Kent show that run for 10 seasons. Super Clark Kent went around doing good with no costume and no code name for most of the seasons. In the last few seasons, the code name being used was Blur.

that fine and all but i hope they use her real name, even Clark is Clark and Ollie is Ollie for these WB shows. Iris as Diana = face palm.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TDK_1997

WOW!This looks terrible!How can DC be making such good movies but such bad TV Shows.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By JLDoom

I hope this crashes and burns just like the other WW series they wanted to do

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Press Oblivion
    @colonyofcells said:

If it works I'm down to support this and I think that all of the Wonder Woman fans should support her where ever she appears. It's better to have something to try out than to have nothing a tall. These points about Smallville are right on the money here and while not all of it was agreeable it was great to have that around for a decade. 

Support it. Perhaps you'll be surprised.
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pokeysteve

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve:i don't know what to think,wonder woman needs to be more exposed outsuide comics,because that will make her comic sales improve,but i don't know if this is the right way to do it.

i think they have to make a good written story for wonder woman comic then make an animated series based on it to make the character gain a wider audience,that would be the best way to make the first step,and try to market her outside the comics.

I definitely agree.

@Press Oblivion said:

@colonyofcells said:

If it works I'm down to support this and I think that all of the Wonder Woman fans should support her where ever she appears. It's better to have something to try out than to have nothing a tall. These points about Smallville are right on the money here and while not all of it was agreeable it was great to have that around for a decade. Support it. Perhaps you'll be surprised.

In this case nothing at all is better. We want her out there so more people can be exposed to her but a version that is actually some what accurate. They're obviously trying to take a realistic approach and you just can't do that with her.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAZAHS117

Boo!! Wonder Woman needs a feature length big budget film, not another tv show. I swear WB's just don't get it

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Pokeysteve said:

They're obviously trying to take a realistic approach and you just can't do that with her.

No, I suppose they can't.

wwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wwmm

@pokeysteve--- told you to calm down, this is very common on all casting call to avoid internet frenzy.... I can't believe they actually have to make a twitter statements to explain why it was called Iris.... it should have been common sense to most people.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Press Oblivion

If you don't know anything about how the process works, it would be deceiving. It was to me.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#22  Edited By The Impersonator

Not wonderful.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pokeysteve

@wwmm said:

@pokeysteve--- told you to calm down, this is very common on all casting call to avoid internet frenzy.... I can't believe they actually have to make a twitter statements to explain why it was called Iris.... it should have been common sense to most people.

I don't believe that for a second. I think Johns saw the immediate internet backlash and had a "what have we done" moment. The show is called Amazon, and the summary mentions Wonder Woman several times. Having a code name is just stupid and pointless lol.

It's like hey we need a guy who's 6ft 3-4ish for a show called Smallville where a kid comes to Earth in a rocket and two farmers find him. He'll grow up to be Superman and we'll show how the relationship between him and his friend Lex Luthor gradually diminishes.........we better have a code name for the title role so no one knows what we're working on here.

After some of the things WB has made, I wouldn't put it past them to be that plain dumb. Arrow is pretty good though.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24  Edited By x_29

Sounds just as horrible as the 2011 WW pilot.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By colonyofcells

The cw target audience are people who watch One Tree Hill, gossip girl, etc. so a teen Diana Prince show will have similarities to those other cw teen shows also which will obviously make many comics customers very angry.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    No Caption Provided
    TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#27  Edited By TheCannon

My thoughts on this show:

No Caption Provided
    jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jobbernos

@SHAZAM117: they need to promote her first give her some more exposure before putting her on the big screen. not as many people know about her like they do batman and superman.

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Franchise1590

I love Diana but I don't know anything about Iris so I'll pass until they do a show about a character I know.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By xxxddd

Going to watch it when it debuts.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jphulk26

@Press Oblivion: @wwmm: its more than just the name. no super powers, no greek mythology, paradise island is violent - this is not wonder woman.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlackWind

Haven't these people learned their lesson about live action Wonder Woman.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Press Oblivion

@jphulk26: I'm not without my reservations but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Amaranth

Not going to even lie. At this point I've basically given up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.