Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Could Marvel beat DC to the punch on a superheroine movie?

• 58 results
    evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cobalion said:

DC already won that contest with Supergirl (1984) it wasnt as bad as everyone Helen Slater won an award for it to :)

I forgot about that movie! Oh well! I guess that settles that! lol !

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By mikex20

Marvel and DC both tried and failed miserably, so I doubt there will be any solo female superhero movie any time soon, with the stigma surrounding them.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, yes they can. Considering DC is to afraid to venture out from Superman and Batman. So yeah most likely Marvel will be at it first.

the thing is that doing a female super hero movie is something,making it a hit,that is a different story,there has been no DC or marvel female with success at the box office movie.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Nope because DC already made one in the 80's. It was called Supergirl. Anyway Marvel already made one as well called Elektra.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Realistically, the contest between Marvel and DC to get a female lead on the silver screen comes down to Black Widow and Wonder Woman. Realistically, there is no way DC would do any other female character before Wonder Woman. They want to do Justice League, and she's a part of that, and she is the single most recognizable female comic book character among mainstream audiences.

Over at Marvel, Black Widow is an existing character attached to one of the most successful franchises ever. It's actually kind of shameful that Black Widow didn't already have her own solo film, and I imagine they probably have something in the works. Since there is already so much of a foundation, it's likely that they'll get that movie done sooner than DC does Wonder Woman, though there are rumors that Wonder Woman is finally in the early stages of development (though we've heard that before).

My only fear is that Black Widow will come first and will flop (compared to many superheroes - both male and female - she isn't that easy of a sell to mainstream audiences), and that that will further scare WB from doing a Wonder Woman film.

As for Power Girl and Captain Marvel, either one would be good in a film (I'd be thrilled to see Captain Marvel on the silver screen), but neither has the mainstream recognition to be the first female superhero film in the current era.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer said:

Realistically, the contest between Marvel and DC to get a female lead on the silver screen comes down to Black Widow and Wonder Woman. Realistically, there is no way DC would do any other female character before Wonder Woman. They want to do Justice League, and she's a part of that, and she is the single most recognizable female comic book character among mainstream audiences.

Over at Marvel, Black Widow is an existing character attached to one of the most successful franchises ever. It's actually kind of shameful that Black Widow didn't already have her own solo film, and I imagine they probably have something in the works. Since there is already so much of a foundation, it's likely that they'll get that movie done sooner than DC does Wonder Woman, though there are rumors that Wonder Woman is finally in the early stages of development (though we've heard that before).

My only fear is that Black Widow will come first and will flop (compared to many superheroes - both male and female - she isn't that easy of a sell to mainstream audiences), and that that will further scare WB from doing a Wonder Woman film.

As for Power Girl and Captain Marvel, either one would be good in a film (I'd be thrilled to see Captain Marvel on the silver screen), but neither has the mainstream recognition to be the first female superhero film in the current era.

I'd say Catwoman is also in the competition, after TDKR she's popular again, and most of GP liked her portrayal. And WB is trying to get her on film or TV, no can deny that, but it not WB's fault that the writers and directors don't know what to do with her.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

It really depends, DC has an advantage over Marvel in that they've got one of the recognisable female super heroines (actually they've always had an advantage of recognisable rather Marvel) in comics and within mainstream. Even if you've never read a comic or watch Lydia Carter play her, you still can recognise her. If DC/WB can do it right, then they've beat Marvel in their own game. I can see why they are scared thou, Wonder Woman doesn't exactly have an origin story or villains that people would have knowledge of!!

WWComicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer I really think Ms Marvel could work on the basis of her being a really powerful superhero. I think that probably could be a way of establishing the characters identity to mainstream audiences and since theres a total absence of anything comparable (Supergirl was nearly 20 years ago) it could work and get people into cinemas. Having a relatively unknown character but selling the role of that character would probably be the way to go. Black Widow has the problem that she is no different than any other spy movie/bond girl character which would struggle to differentiate itself from a saturated genre. But there aren't really any films with a female superhero lead and with some good CGI I think that could make a good visual impression with trailers and such.

Now thats equally true of Wonder Woman and unlike Ms Marvel she is a recognizable character for the general public and this would make distinguishing the film that much easier and better because she is an icon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.