Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Comic Vine Crew talk Wonder Woman

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Press Oblivion

Tony, Sara, and James take a stab at some of the topics that have been running around the Wonder Woman forum.

Questions to the Comic Vine team

@Press Oblivion said:

No Caption Provided

There's been a lot of Buzz in the Wonder Woman forum about the treatment of the character and weather or not there should be more books featuring the character like Superman and Batman have. I would love to see the revival of Sensation Comics as her Ancillary Title placing her firmly in the DCU (outside of JL), featuring and reintroducing her rogues gallery while her own title would continue to explore the mythological.

• Do you think that Wonder Woman is a character that is treated poorly by DC and Creative Teams? Her different characterizations from her solo title to that of Justice League is frustrating but is it because of poor treatment or lack of communication?
    • Do you feel that she can support another monthly title?
    • If you've been reading Teen Titans, you've seen that Wonder Girl has been removed from the Wonder Woman family, why do you think this was an important change for DC to make?

Thanks guys, I love the site and think that you're doing great things here!

I posed these questions to the team because I thought that it would be interesting to hear their take on these questions in direct response to the Is Wonder Woman Treated Poorly? thread. The likeliness of any of the team getting out to the Wonder Woman forums is next to non so it was great to hear what they had to say and was a super added bonus to catch James Robinson for this one as well!

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

@Press Oblivion: I want to ask you this, why does the guy in the video call William Marston Morris (sorry if thats wrong) a freak because he was living with 2 female lovers?

what male doesn´t want that ;)

But on a serious level DC always go on about WW in her heyday and how WMM interest in bondage frequently made it into the stories and how he was weird sexually. My question is this. So?

The stuff I see in comics these days, the high level of explicitly sexual content is far more than he did, if anything it seems to me he was just ahead of his time. Just look at Frank Miller, one of the most celebrated comic writers of our generation. Its like they´re saying unless something represents a conservative, straight, monogmous relationship then some how its wrong. Don´t get me wrong I´m straight and certainly not into kinky things, but I don´t judge anyone, and I don´t see how WW, his creation, which has subsequently been passed down written and developed so her character has evolved vastly since then, has anything to do with WMM´s personal or sexual life. The guy was a Harvard Professor who created the lie detector, the standard personality tests still used today by massive coorporations and Wonder Woman. To me thats a pretty impressive C.V. so what if he got his kicks by getting tied up by two women. Doesn´t sound to bad to me.Is the lie detector some how a flawed invention because he liked weird sex? so why then is WW flawed, because he liked weird sex?

I mean the way these DC guys talk about it you´d think it was revealed that he was actually a member of the Nazi Party. And to be fair when I talk about my favorite WW runs or anyone else I know who likes her, I´ve never heard anyone say oh I really dug WMM old stuff. I just respect the guy for coming up with the original story, nothing else. I also have had the privilige of reading the first issues of Batman, WW and Superman and I think WW certainly had its flaws just like Batman and Superman´s first ever editions, but it still had the same basic premiss and WW still had the same nobel aspects of the character that have been developed over time, but just in a more one dimensional manner.

And DC really have no right to talk about sexual politics and get on the moral high ground considering the way they market their female characters to children. Its pathetic, look at Black Canary forgodsake.

Sorry it just got me thinking, cause I think DC try and use that as an excuse to say WW isn´t really a feminist hero.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

I have read a few Wonder Woman archives and I see nothing wrong about Wonder Woman being tied up sometimes same as what happened to Batman being tied up all the time or trapped. I like the idea of Wonder Woman breaking free of her chains which Superman also often does. Wonder Woman breaking free of her chains is a symbol of breaking free of males oppressing females thru the centuries. In America, females had to fight the oppressive males just to get the right to vote for females.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Press Oblivion

@jphulk26 said:

@Press Oblivion: I want to ask you this, why does the guy in the video call William Marston Morris (sorry if thats wrong) a freak because he was living with 2 female lovers?

Yeah, that dude was livin' the life though, I don't think that it was 2 women, I think it was his wife and another man. But I have no idea if any of that is true.

@jphulk26 said:

But on a serious level DC always go on about WW in her heyday and how WMM interest in bondage frequently made it into the stories and how he was weird sexually. My question is this. So?

Yeah I'm with you on that. To each their own, as long as no one is getting hurt it's all good, what ever you're into.

I think it's easy for people to make fun if what they don't understand. The whole Bondage thing isn't that serious as @colonyofcells: mentioned. Marston achieved some enviable things in his life which sometimes leads to this level of hate breeding. His personal shit has about as much to do with his comics as James' sexual habits have to do wit his stories. Things like this are perpetuated and unsubstantiated to the detriment of someones well being or standing and it really has little to do with anything. Perhaps historians were looking for something to pin on him to make him more interesting to the public and getting on him about bondage and polyandrous escapades all they could come up with?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jphulk26

@Press Oblivion said:

@jphulk26 said:

Yeah, that dude was livin' the life though, I don't think that it was 2 women, I think it was his wife and another man. But I have no idea if any of that is true.

No it was definitely his wife and a younger woman, and from all accounts all parties seemed happy with the relationship. WW was actually modelled on his younger mistress. But they all were involved, the wife as well, so much so that even after WMM died the his wife and their mistress remained living together and still very much in love. Personally, I think that his preference. As for their relationship coming into the comics and them not being very good, as I´ve stated before, no comics were really that good at that time. No one goes around saying the Joe Schuester run of Superman was one of their favorites or that Bob Finger wrote the best Batman, people just respect them for laying down the foundation for the characters, for creating them. So, saying that initially WW comics weren´t good is just silly, that is ancient history. If he was saying there had nnever ever been a good run of WW that would be quite different, I could accept that as a valid criticism but he isn´t. And if he did that would be untrue as well. The critical reception for Rucka and Gail Simones run was very high. They were either nominated for or won an Eisner award for that run. Perez is also highly praised. So it´s just silly what he´s saying. There may never have been a commercially successful run, but many have been highly praised by everyone from The new York Times to major Feminist thinkers.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colonyofcells

I believe the George Perez reboot of Wonder Woman did wonders. It was fun to see Wonder Woman kill one of the sons of Ares.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Press Oblivion

@jphulk26: You are correct, sir.

@colonyofcells: It did do wonders . .. :D no pun intended :D

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By herrweis

who the hell is this british dude?

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Press Oblivion

@herrweis: It's James Robinson, writer of Earth 2, long time scribe for DC Comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.