Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

clay + demigod movie idea

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

while i believe her having a dad hasn't changed who she is or her upbringing, i too don't like the idea of her being ZEUS'S child. i would of preferred her being Ares's kid unknowingly, due to him staying away to protect her and the amazons. the way he was characterized in this run already makes him a better dad then zeus. and there is plenty of pre 52 plots from the past that could of been reworked to make this work. it wouldn't of changed the plot much and could of been a great shocker if she found out ares was her dad right after killing him. plus this get's rid of hera turning the amazons to snakes. plus this get there are plenty of ways with plenty of better candidates to do a better "wonder woman has an absentee dad" story.

the one i had in mind for the movie was her being made from clay but hippolyta requiring a god's blood with her own to give diana life. maybe make her infertile and request the gods help only for them to deny it. ares decided's to go against them because he wants a heir and since hyppolyta is infertile, he donates his blood for her clay sculpture. you know what, i might just write a fan fic for this...

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Her clay origin has here being giving life by not only zeus but hera as well why they felt she needed a father is beyond me.

Kinda creepy as well since one of the 12 labours hercules had to undertake was the seduction of hippolyta.

Shudder.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kidstandout

@crimsonlord53: she doesn't need a father, but having one doesn't take away from her either, especially when handled properly. no one needs both parents but having them will only help, not hurt. the change doesn't effect her character and will draw more people in, the only real problem i see is who the father is.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most the issues with giving her a father have to do with symbolism. Wonder Woman has always been a symbol for female independence. For DC to suddenly decide that they need to give her a father in order to "fix" her is a big issue.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: just about every female role model in the real world has a daddy, whether they raised them or not. her having one doesn't make her any less symbollic as far as i see it, so long as she still has the same upbringing and character, her having/not having a dad is no big deal.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: Well I'm not totally against her having a father. I wouldn't totally mind if there was a male involved in her conception, but I would prefer that she was made from clay. Like some master artisan helped her mother sculpt Diana. The issue with Zeus being her father was that it took away her being blessed by the goddesses (to be fair Hermes helped too). They decided it wasn't good enough for her to get her powers from feminine source, and that Zeus's dick was a much better source of her power. Some goes with her training from Ares. Before she was the greatest warrior because she was trained by the Amazons, but once again they decided she would be more "relatable" if she was trained by a man.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Her clay origin has here being giving life by not only zeus but hera as well why they felt she needed a father is beyond me.

Kinda creepy as well since one of the 12 labours hercules had to undertake was the seduction of hippolyta.

Shudder.

Zeus had nothing to do with her origin pre 52.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kidstandout

@kidstandout: Well I'm not totally against her having a father. I wouldn't totally mind if there was a male involved in her conception, but I would prefer that she was made from clay. Like some master artisan helped her mother sculpt Diana. The issue with Zeus being her father was that it took away her being blessed by the goddesses (to be fair Hermes helped too). They decided it wasn't good enough for her to get her powers from feminine source, and that Zeus's dick was a much better source of her power. Some goes with her training from Ares. Before she was the greatest warrior because she was trained by the Amazons, but once again they decided she would be more "relatable" if she was trained by a man.

fair enough, after having some time to consider all the circumstances of this discussion and realizing that over exposure does make something less original, i do find myself slowly gravitating towards the clay origin. im fine with her having a bit of male influence but agree that her development should be mostly female. that is a valid complaint towards azz's run. i guess im just willing to overlook that because the plot is so strong to me. regarding ares though, i still feel like that was a missed opportunity. take away the zeus-hypollyta fling and have ares being involved in her conception (clay or no clay) and that would of opened up alot more plots then the tired spawn of zeus storyline

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.