Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Clarification on complaints about power level

• 94 results
    OOCMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@01100110 said:

@oocmikey: And? The instance has pretty clear context based on how DB's abilities work. It does not change what he and Beerus managed to accomplish, which is a bit out of Supes weight calss.

It's not even very funny a meme.

Yes it is out of current Superman's weight class...but there are many versions of supes that has accomplished many more feats

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Archizooom

@agent41: Bruce Timm thought he'd nerf powerful characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter to sort of level the playing field, give other lesser-known heroes a shot at the spotlight in Justice League Unlimited you know, but on account of all the backlash he got from rabid, disgruntled Superman fans, Timm tossed them a bone to keep them quiet, he told them the whole time Superman'd been holding back. Hence the myth was born.

And Buccellato must've been lynched pretty hard when Wonder Woman pummeled the lights out of Superman because he did tons of damage control following that. Amongst other things, Superman flew all the way to Apokalips just to give Darkseid a good old-fashioned pounding. Suspiciously, Darkseid was like "soooo this is Superman unleashed *wink* *wink*". The bottom line is Superman's fans stink

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@01100110 said:

@oocmikey: And? The instance has pretty clear context based on how DB's abilities work. It does not change what he and Beerus managed to accomplish, which is a bit out of Supes weight calss.

It's not even very funny a meme.

yeah.they can lower their guard down so that they can be hurt,just like Vegeta did when he wanted Krilin to hurt him.Goku lowered his guard down to 0 because fight was over.Dragon Ball Super portrays that perfectly.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: @brunnhilde: It gets interesting when you realize that Wonder Woman was very close to Superman early on in the DC timeline then years flies by and it seems that Superman surpassed her by leaps and bounds. What makes it worse is that it is more noticeable in the New 52 than anything. It is why you all see people on here complaining. I highly doubt you seen anyone complaining about her power level in comparison before the reboot. Her win-loss ratio doesn't help anything at all either. It also doesn't help when you got writers watering her down because they can't relate to the idea of her being a female equivalent of Superman. You have to think rational about these things.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: I don't care whether Wonder Woman can lift a bus or an aircraft carrier, what matters to me is where she stands in the pecking order. I just wish Wonder Woman was a leader, a major piece in the chess board, not just the Roland to Superman's Charlemagne, a footnote in history, the third wheel...

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, bottom line:

Wonder Woman was not originally a goddess. She was a mortal with super powers. Those powers give her strength of a superman. Period.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin said:

Okay, bottom line:

Wonder Woman was not originally a goddess. She was a mortal with super powers. Those powers give her strength of a superman. Period.

Not originally a goddess, but she was an immortal who gave up her immortality to live amongst and protect the world of men. She didn't just "have powers" either, she learned to focus her mental energy into superior physical ability, just like all of the Amazons. This training is why she became more powerful and learned new abilities over time. I don't see why an evolution into "goddess" is a problem.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Probably under 9000

RyuBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lel, some people call N52 WW weak, even thought she in God form faced and stopped Superdoom, arguably one of the most power versions of sups.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryubg said:

Lel, some people call N52 WW weak, even thought she in God form faced and stopped Superdoom, arguably one of the most power versions of sups.

There are just some malcontented fans who want to see WW as some unstoppable being. She is clearly in the top ranks of power levels in N52, yet there are fans out there who want to see her perform gratuitous feats of strength just to prove it.

I'll be honest in that I've lost a lot of interest in the current DCU ... it's become a mess of crossovers and special guest appearances and that plays into a more difficult time defining any characters true power level. WW has had some quite impressive showings in N52 continuity, but then she's had some pretty poor ones too. I think this is the root of most complaints.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryubg:

Probably because she didn't stop Superdoom physically, but by reaching out to Clark who was trapped inside. The only time she tried to match him physically, he tossed her aside.

If you're referring to her ambushing him with her lasso and dragging him out of the cloud to brink Clark back, then technically she did stop Superdoom temporarily in that case. But if you're trying to imply she could physically match or beat Superdoom in a fight, you don't have enough evidence to back up that claim.

RyuBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpfly88: She still stopped him while he was rampant and on killing intent

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MPfly88

@ryubg:

She stopped him. Physically? No.

RyuBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpfly88: So you're saying she didn't use force at all?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

she was first meant to be as strong as superman and today is clear shes still meant to be in that ranking and i understand why people are extremely sensitive to her not being that powerful because she should be and there has been constent idea that she isnt by fans and writers but overall i think its fair to say she is that powerful but i also think there are people who get way to into the power fantasy of ww and they forgo other important aspects of her character in name of making sure she's powerful such as making her violent when shes not meant to be a violent character but an escape from all the violence in comics

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she was first meant to be as strong as superman and today is clear shes still meant to be in that ranking and i understand why people are extremely sensitive to her not being that powerful because she should be and there has been constent idea that she isnt by fans and writers but overall i think its fair to say she is that powerful but i also think there are people who get way to into the power fantasy of ww and they forgo other important aspects of her character in name of making sure she's powerful such as making her violent when shes not meant to be a violent character but an escape from all the violence in comics

well said

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: people love to stir the pot ... Some folks just can't stop trying to get a rise out of strangers in the Internet

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpfly88 said:

@ryubg:

Yes she did. She got in between Superdoom and his target, through her lasso around him and whipped it so hard that it smashed him backwards into the ground. That requires physical strength.

And when Superdoom tossed her aside, it wasn't because he beat her in the physical grapple, it was because she was grappling against him, then he decided to break the grapple to hit her away. During the grapple itself, she did manage to stop him in his tracks.

RyuBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @willienotwilliam said:

well said

I'd love to agree with that but that's most likely in the animated versions than comics

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far in the New 52, Wonder Woman has been portrayed as the complete opposite of her representation. What has she done to suggest she is compassionate and peacemaking? I mean come on now lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryubg: I said she's meant to be non violent that doesn't .mean writers portray her that way all the time

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MPfly88
    @klaus said:
    @mpfly88 said:

@ryubg:

Yes she did. She got in between Superdoom and his target, through her lasso around him and whipped it so hard that it smashed him backwards into the ground. That requires physical strength.

And when Superdoom tossed her aside, it wasn't because he beat her in the physical grapple, it was because she was grappling against him, then he decided to break the grapple to hit her away. During the grapple itself, she did manage to stop him in his tracks.

At no point in the panel does it show him break her grapple in order to hit her. She pushes against him, and in the next panel of their fight he's clearly tossing her aside with his left hand. It doesn't show him break away from her and then smack her. If he hit her, she would've been sent forward or to the side. He's clearly tossing her behind him here. So either you're memory's fuzzy or you're exaggerating her feat here.

No Caption Provided

What Wonder Woman did here was she stalled him. But stopping him? No, that was a combined effort by many people including Clark's internal struggle. Her best feat against SuperDoom was ambushing him with her lasso and pulling him out of the cloud to bring Clark back during their first encounter. That was an actual example of her stopping SuperDoom in that instance. But in this encounter? Nope.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl:Dude. That brain energy training DID give her powers! Duh

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @natvin said:

Okay, bottom line:

Not originally a goddess, but she was an immortal who gave up her immortality to live amongst and protect the world of men. She didn't just "have powers" either, she learned to focus her mental energy into superior physical ability, just like all of the Amazons. This training is why she became more powerful and learned new abilities over time. I don't see why an evolution into "goddess" is a problem.

@natvin said:

@csg_cl:Dude. That brain energy training DID give her powers! Duh

that's what I said.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Well I suppose it's a matter of perspective.

A character is judge based on how much a reader/viewer could connect with rather than power. Sure people are going to say one thing or the other about her in different forums. But it should not matter. Being considered vastly more powerful or otherwise on a battle forum does nothing to tangibly affect the character's importance or popularity.

If you look at DC: Spectre, Martian Manhunter etc are vastly more powerful than Batman but he is the most popular character by far. Same with marvel: Spiderman, Iron Man and Wolverine are the most popular ones.

What people think of a character in battle forum should not make any difference. But perhaps people who are very attached to battle forum would disagree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: well this idea of her not being above a specific strength level definitely plays out in media she's been in multiple times

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: She did have powers. Anything beyond that of mortal men is power.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: Wondy is strong as Supes. And if she takes off her bracelets, her powers exponentially go up!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin said:

@csg_cl: She did have powers. Anything beyond that of mortal men is power.

Yes, I've said that on several occasions ... read what I wrote and you'll see that I've said this about 3 or 4 times.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: No that's not what you said. Its just what you were THINKING.

And you "don't see why an evolution into "goddess" is a problem."

Well I didn't say any evolution to goddess was the problem. I brought up the fact that her being called a goddess is a problem.

People STILL keep thinking that she is originally a goddess. Which she's NOT. She was originally just an Amazon who was created by the gods, which is NOT the same thing as being a goddess yourself.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin said:

@csg_cl: No that's not what you said. Its just what you were THINKING.

And you "don't see why an evolution into "goddess" is a problem."

Well I didn't say any evolution to goddess was the problem. I brought up the fact that her being called a goddess is a problem.

People STILL keep thinking that she is originally a goddess. Which she's NOT. She was originally just an Amazon who was created by the gods, which is NOT the same thing as being a goddess yourself.

okay ... 4 months later you still haven't actually gone back and read what was written here and to claim "people are still thinking she is originally a goddess" is a flat out lie in regards to this thread. I even helpfully highlighted some of the statements I posted for you so I'm going to assume you are simply responding to the wrong person.

For the record, no she was not originally a goddess, she was originally inspired by the Galatea myth and thus was given life by Aphrodite after being sculpted by Hippolyte. Her powers, like all Amazons, came from her training (as I've said several times). DC evolving her birth into that of a demi-goddess isn't unsurprising, it's a fairly obvious direction to go with a character that has always had some level of Greek mythology in her origin. Personal preferences aside, it's pretty easy to see how they got there.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tbh, I've always wanted WW to be more than a flying brick. Idc about the overpowered argument, honestly since the world of fiction is limitless under the write hands anyone can make a character have depth.

Also, she's strong.. I guess the New 52 butchered her. But sometimes when it comes to more versatile opponents who can match Diana in strength and have more punch sometimes she gets overestimated imo.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Knight101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Knight101

Wow. Wonder Woman is considered weak on the battle board here? The battle board I frequent elsewhere has stars in their eyes and consider her very powerful and skilled (too much so IMO). So, if what you guys say is true, it's shocking to say the least. I never considered Wonder Woman weak by any measure. In terms of strength, I've viewed her at least two steps down from Superman. On top of all that, the New 52 Wonder Woman does have some impressive feats. But I won't get into that here, this is not the place.

I will always think of Wonder Woman as Superman's near equal. She is definitely not weak.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
    deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like her to be a few notches below Superman in physical strength, but a very skilled fighter. I feel the writers do not emphasise much on her skills. If a huge asteroid is heading for Earth, Superman should save the earth as he's the strongest, but if there's an enemy too strong for Supes to beat, WW should kick his ass because of her skills. If Batman, Daredevil and Captain America do it all the time, she should do it too on a much higher scale. She's supposed to be better than these guys anyways. Also, there's more to being powerful than just being strong. She's got the wisdom of Athena, that should make her the most intelligent person in the JLA. The writers can use these aspects to make her powerful in her own way, instead of making her Superman's equal in strength.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I said "supposed to be" as it cannot be determined. She does not fight Shiva, Dragon or Tiger because she has superpowers, so she can't be ranked in the top martial artists' list. But she is the best in a race of warriors as opposed to one of the best among humans, so I said "supposed to be". Batman mentioned in some JLA comic she's the best melee fighter though.

And, the asteroid was merely a manner of speaking. Of course she can stop one. What I meant was she can't lift as much as Supes can. I think you didn't get my point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I'm not saying she should be weaker. But DC always implies that Superman is the strongest, more than Martian Manhunter, WW or Captain Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.