Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Chris Pine and Saïd Taghmaoui

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Early 1900's it is
    Early 1900's it is

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By alsummers

I'm glad Said joins the movie, though who he's playing is anyone's guess.

Except this picture confuses me more about the plotline. And concerns me as well.

The rumors about the plot so far seem to be mostly true except for the (in my opinion) important detail about Steve helping WW in the modern times.

I don't mind the period piece aspect so long as they give her one or two characters from her mythos in the modern era to make her at least relevant in the modern context of things. Otherwise we're stuck with her having no life or friends outside of the JL again. If they plan on sequels, I don't see how they can move her story/character forward if everyone's dead by the current continuity.

My money's on Trevor and Hippolyta and whomever else they decide to include help WW in WWI, and then Batman helps WW in the modern era.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to make of this, I thought Chris Pine had a 3-picture deal with WB, perhaps Steve drank from the fountain of youth, perhaps they're not planning a sequel, perhaps he'll re-appear in Wonder Woman 2 with a fake-ass old-age makeup...

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to make of this, I thought Chris Pine had a 3-picture deal with WB, perhaps Steve drank from the fountain of youth, perhaps they're not planning a sequel, perhaps he'll re-appear in Wonder Woman 2 with a fake-ass old-age makeup...

My thoughts exactly. I thought he signed on for a multi-picture deal with sequel options, which I assumed meant he'd be appearing in both Justice League films plus any sequels that may arise. So I am more than confused about the timeline now.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Archizooom

@alsummers: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Steve crashed on Themyscira leaving a pregnant wife behind and he's been comatose since. Fast forward to present time, he awakes from his coma looking the same and meets his homonymous grandson Steve Trevor III played by Scott Eastwood in Suicide Squad. Then, the power ring chooses him, thus Steve becomes the Green Lantern of sector xxxx just kidding

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Said joins the movie, though who he's playing is anyone's guess.

Except this picture confuses me more about the plotline. And concerns me as well.

The rumors about the plot so far seem to be mostly true except for the (in my opinion) important detail about Steve helping WW in the modern times.

I don't mind the period piece aspect so long as they give her one or two characters from her mythos in the modern era to make her at least relevant in the modern context of things. Otherwise we're stuck with her having no life or friends outside of the JL again. If they plan on sequels, I don't see how they can move her story/character forward if everyone's dead by the current continuity.

My money's on Trevor and Hippolyta and whomever else they decide to include help WW in WWI, and then Batman helps WW in the modern era.

possible they will do what the TV show did and have Pine play his own ancestor in the films.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think of it, though I like his acting I'm note sure that I like Chris Pine for the role. He has a soft voice. . . . but nothing that I can do about it LOL

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alsummers

@csg_cl: Funny you should say that because a new report just came out that implied Pine will be play a Trevor Sr. and a younger Trevor in the modern era. Though I think that report was from Heroic Hollywood who's a lofty source at best, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Just as well, I think having Pine play two Trevors in one movie would be too creepy and weird to be real. I mean I would take the cliche "time-travellor" theory about Steve Trevor going in the modern day over the Trevor Sr/Jr. theory for this particular film.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Funny you should say that because a new report just came out that implied Pine will be play a Trevor Sr. and a younger Trevor in the modern era. Though I think that report was from Heroic Hollywood who's a lofty source at best, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Just as well, I think having Pine play two Trevors in one movie would be too creepy and weird to be real. I mean I would take the cliche "time-travellor" theory about Steve Trevor going in the modern day over the Trevor Sr/Jr. theory for this particular film.

I suppose it depends on the depth of each role for Trevor ... how much time is going to be spent in the WWI era v. Modern times, will both Trevors be major roles or will one of them be more of a cameo/smaller role?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By darkdetective27

@ready_4_madness: My guess is he is playing some Golden Age hero like Doctor Fate.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#13  Edited By RavenVice01

@ready_4_madness: if they make Said out to be Simon Baz or Khalid aka dr. Fate that's cool with me cuz neither of them r that appealing as DC characters.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: I would really like for him to turn out to be MM and be a part of the Justice League. I just dont think they have plans for the character after Goyer's talk about only virgins knowing who MM was.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: That would be cool. Though Im not sure if Id classify it as a superhero.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Archizooom

@darkdetective27: He didn't say his character is a superhero. He did say he's one of the good guys though so you can cross Deimos and Phobos off the list

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is Said can only be Jonn Jonzz. As for Steve Trevor's dual role I think someone has already mentioned they will probably do the same as the TV series Where Lyle Wagner played Steve Trevor in the 1940s and the son of Steve Trevor in the present day. That's not that big of a deal at all. I'm more concerned about the villain The Cheetah

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: Did they say Said is playing a hero? R there anymore details about his character?

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: He specificly said that he is playing a superhero, but there arent any other details about his character.

http://batman-news.com/2015/11/15/said-taghmaoui-wonder-woman-superhero/

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: No actually he didn't 'specifically' say his character is a superhero, that's a mistranslation. He said he's playing "un personnage de super héros gentil" which roughly translates to "one of the good guys".

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The current rumor is that Pine will be playing Steve Trevor Sr and his grandson in a nod to the Wonder Woman tv show, which to put it bluntly I think is totally stupid and not actually going to happen.

Personally I think Themyscira will exist slightly out of time and place and so when Steve and Diana go back there after WW1 the next time they leave it will be in modern times. This might cut too close to Captain America but I still think it's more plausible.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saïd's character better not be a superhero tbh There's a good chance that Steve might upstage Wonder Woman, Batman will be in it, now people are speculating that Saïd might be Martian Manhunter, Dr.Fate or Simon Baz, what else are they're gonna pack into this Wonder Woman movie…

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only hero I can think of that frequents ww world is orion so my guess is that he's one of the men that works with Steve unless he's that third agent from the TV show

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: French is my mother tongue so don't be surprised when and if it turns out that his character is not a superhero. If you play a superhero, you say "je joue un super héros", that unmistakably means "I play a superhero". "Un personnage de super héros gentil" means "a comic book character who's on the side of good"

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

That's definitely early 1900s era looking clothing I think, makes the WWI setting theory all the more plausible now. Don't think I really like this approach even if I was going to stick around with the DCEU after BvS, there's no advantage to introducing Diana during another time period when her story can be told equally as well, if not better, by introducing her to the modern world first. It would fit better into BvS anyway IMO.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Archizooom

@ready_4_madness: No I am definitely right, he didn't say he's playing a superhero, doesn't mean he's not playing a superhero, he just didn't say that. And I don't think we'll have to wait that long to learn what character he's playing, hopefully not a superhero...

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: No one else's origin movie featured a cameo from another superhero aside from Ant-man, so why should Batman AND Superhero X take up screen time in Wonder Woman's? I want this movie to be all about Wonder Woman, plus if it's true that Chris Pine turned down Green Lantern in favor of playing Steve I think it's reasonable to assume his role in Wonder Woman is pretty substantial

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Right, as long as they make a good movie they can pack everything but the kitchen sink into this Wonder Woman origin movie

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: No one else's origin movie featured a cameo from another superhero aside from Ant-man, so why should Batman AND Superhero X take up screen time in Wonder Woman's? I want this movie to be all about Wonder Woman, plus if it's true that Chris Pine turned down Green Lantern in favor of playing Steve I think it's reasonable to assume his role in Wonder Woman is pretty substantial

not really true ... pretty much every recent Marvel character had Nick Fury and Tony Stark involved on some level, Black Widow and Falcon are woven deeply into Cap's universe at this point. Aquaman, Flash (rumored) will both be introduced in the same way WW is being brought in and probably CM and GL will have similar situations. DC is attempting to build it's cinematic universe, and quickly in terms of Hollywood, so this is going to necessitate some doubling up.

I am thinking this movie will be all about Wonder Woman's world, she's obviously the "main character" but I'd be willing to bet DC is going to be spending plenty of time with Steve and the Amazons and possibly others. I don't see that as a negative per se.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Archizooom

@csg_cl: I was talking about the origin movies, I don't recall seeing Tony Stark show up in Thor and the first Captain America film...did he? As for Nick Fury, he's very much part of the furniture in the MCU. Look, as long as Wonder Woman shines high and bright in this movie, that they don't abbreviate the origin story in order to accommodate another Superhero and that Steve doesn't steal the show like Jane did in Thor, they can shoehorn whoever they want, although, call me selfish, I'd prefer they didn't

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Yes, if they shoehorn too many characters into this origin movie it may divert attention from Wonder Woman

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I was talking about the origin movies, I don't recall seeing Tony Stark show up in Thor and the first Captain America film...did he? As for Nick Fury, he's very much part of the furniture in the MCU. Look, as long as Wonder Woman shines high and bright in this movie, that they don't abbreviate the origin story in order to accommodate another Superhero and that Steve doesn't steal the show like Jane did in Thor, they can shoehorn whoever they want, although, call me selfish, I'd prefer they didn't

Tony wasn't in Captain America, but Howard was essentially his proxy, and IIRC Tony was at least talked about in Thor (but it's been a while so I could be wrong). No one would ever think "gee I wonder who this Howard Stark guy is supposed to be", and that is a clear retcon to include a Stark in the Captain America origin (realistically Howard should have been Tony's grandfather since they've pushed Tony to a younger Afghanistan origin, was Howard like 60+ when Tony was born?

I think Steve will steal the show in many ways, it's clear they are going to be aiming for a funny/snarky Steve, just from casting Pine, WW will almost certainly be a more "straight man" counterpoint to Steve's funny man. Personally I don't really want a movie that is overly focused on an origin story, we'll end up with a WW version of MoS and frankly, I'd be happier with something more focussed on who she is now whether that's fighting an Olympian or facing a more human threat such as Cheetah.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Tony wasn't in Captain America, but Howard was essentially his proxy, and IIRC Tony was at least talked about in Thor (but it's been a while so I could be wrong). No one would ever think "gee I wonder who this Howard Stark guy is supposed to be", and that is a clear retcon to include a Stark in the Captain America origin (realistically Howard should have been Tony's grandfather since they've pushed Tony to a younger Afghanistan origin, was Howard like 60+ when Tony was born?

I think Steve will steal the show in many ways, it's clear they are going to be aiming for a funny/snarky Steve, just from casting Pine, WW will almost certainly be a more "straight man" counterpoint to Steve's funny man. Personally I don't really want a movie that is overly focused on an origin story, we'll end up with a WW version of MoS and frankly, I'd be happier with something more focussed on who she is now whether that's fighting an Olympian or facing a more human threat such as Cheetah.

Howard is not a Superhero and I wouldn't even say he served as Iron Man's proxy in Captain America. Howard is part of the MCU's "connective tissue" that binds all the main characters together. Falcon's cameo in Ant-Man served the same purpose I believe, to tie Ant-Man into the MCU, and he was in it for 3 minutes.

On the other hand, if Saïd's character is a Superhero, say Dr. Fate or the Martian Manhunter, both of whom are foreign to Wonder Woman's mythology, this will be the character's introduction to the DCEU, he'll be freeloading so to speak. And introducing that superhero would probably take up more than 3 minutes...

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Howard is not a Superhero and I wouldn't even say he served as Iron Man's proxy in Captain America. Howard is part of the MCU's "connective tissue" that binds all the main characters together. Falcon's cameo in Ant-Man served the same purpose I believe, to tie Ant-Man into the MCU, and he was in it for 3 minutes.

On the other hand, if Saïd's character is a Superhero, say Dr. Fate or the Martian Manhunter, both of whom are foreign to Wonder Woman's mythology, this will be the character's introduction to the DCEU, he'll be freeloading so to speak. And introducing that superhero would probably take up more than 3 minutes...

Howard and Tony are nearly the exact same character (sans the Iron Man armor). It's a clear play at tying in Iron Man to CA's mythology. My point is that having characters introduced/used to connect the universe is a completely common tool Marvel and DC have been using in their live action worlds. Look at TV, Flash "free loaded" off of Arrow and in turn was used to launch Atom, Hawkgirl, Firestorm and Vibe. Agents of Shield has been busy introducing Inhumans in practically every episode, and we've seen the cross play between the TV universe and the cinematic universe work out several times now. This isn't some kind of unique device they came up with only for WW.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Using Howard Stark as a bridge between Iron Man's mythos and Captain America's is different than having a Superhero like Dr.Fate or the Martian Manhunter "freeload" off Wonder Woman, so I don't know why you're comparing them as though they're predicated on the same principle, I understand that DC is playing catch-up with Marvel but obviously I don't want Wonder Woman to be short-changed in the process. I mean between them, Superman and Batman have something like 17 movies yet I've seen tons of people, including the Collider crew, complain that Wonder Woman is "de trop" in Dawn of Justice..

I know they've done it in television, I literally just finished watching Jessica Jones, but 13 episodes amount to a 13-hour movie whereas Wonder Woman will have to make do with 2..

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Using Howard Stark as a bridge between Iron Man's mythos and Captain America's is different than having a Superhero like Dr.Fate or the Martian Manhunter "freeload" off Wonder Woman, so I don't know why you're comparing them as though they're predicated on the same principle, I understand that DC is playing catch-up with Marvel but obviously I don't want Wonder Woman to be short-changed in the process. I mean between them, Superman and Batman have something like 17 movies yet I've seen tons of people, including the Collider crew, complain that Wonder Woman is "de trop" in Dawn of Justice..

I know they've done it in television, I literally just finished watching Jessica Jones, but 13 episodes amount to a 13-hour movie whereas Wonder Woman will have to make do with 2..

What I'm saying is that this is pretty standard at this point. Expecting them NOT to take an opportunity to introduce other characters is setting yourself up for disappointment. Black Widow is yet another example of a character introduced in both Iron Man and CA with significant presence yet she doesn't take away from either title character. She even "stole the show", but there was still plenty of time for the main heroes to shine.

It's not that there will be others in the movie, it's about the purpose that they serve, which is why I bring up Howard Stark. He served the same purpose as Tony would have if the film had been set in the modern era as opposed to WWII, literally a proxy for Iron Man without bringing Tony into the film. I can't imagine that WW will introduce MM or DF without a similar purpose (i.e. said character will play a significant role in the later DCEU). It's something of a compliment/sign of faith that WW will be successful enough to use as an avenue of introduction for other JL members.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By alsummers

@csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

I'm not certain Steve will steal the show, especially if he's the "funny man". Chris Pine is a lot of things, but when he's a side character, he does a good job of staying a side character. Plus you have other veteran actors/actresses like Robin Wright and David Thewlis coming into play that will probably have more significant roles in this particular film. However, if previous rumors are true and Pine has signed on for multiple films outside of sequels, his role in the DCEU may be more significant, but for WW's film it'll be significant but only to a point (at least I hope). Just enough to establish his role and character for Wonder Woman's arc and the DCEU as a whole.

I am curious about Said, though I'm pretty sure he's not playing Manhunter. I would say Dr. Fate, and originally I thought he would be Vandal Savage until he came out with that quote. Or he could be just an ordinary guy in a relatively significant role for this film.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

I'm not certain Steve will steal the show, especially if he's the "funny man". Chris Pine is a lot of things, but when he's a side character, he does a good job of staying a side character. Plus you have other veteran actors/actresses like Robin Wright and David Thewlis coming into play that will probably have more significant roles in this particular film. However, if previous rumors are true and Pine has signed on for multiple films outside of sequels, his role in the DCEU may be more significant, but for WW's film it'll be significant but only to a point (at least I hope). Just enough to establish his role and character for Wonder Woman's arc and the DCEU as a whole.

I am curious about Said, though I'm pretty sure he's not playing Manhunter. I would say Dr. Fate, and originally I thought he would be Vandal Savage until he came out with that quote. Or he could be just an ordinary guy in a relatively significant role for this film.

A lot depends on the script for Steve. I suspect he'll be a significant role throughout the film, but who knows!

If I'm guessing at Superhero roles for Said I'd go with Dr. Fate, who fits into WWs mythological world a little better IMO than Manhunter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.