Black Widow Is more well known than the Wonder Woman.

• 142 results
#1 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

So the avengers got shown and many people saw the movie. They can probably name three things about black widow but none about wonder woman.Maybe even some facts about her campy t.v show but I don't want wonder woman remembered only for that t.v show. It's was campy and not taken seriously if saw today though it was fun to watch. So do you think Black Widow is more well known than Wonder Woman?

#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost wanna say yes but it seems sacrilegious o_O

#3 Posted by thenerdal (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I know more about Black Widow than Wonder Woman. Only thing I know about Wonder Woman is that she has an invisible plane and uses a rope. lol.

#4 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

No she certainly is not more well known than Wonder Woman. Though that may be the problem with her geting considered for a big screen adaptation. The Wonder Woman character is trapped in a shell of expectations while a character like Black Widow has virtually no expectations on her giving writers far more creative freedom. Look what happens when slight costume changed are made with Wonder Woman, its like the world is going to end, thought part of the problem is the person designing the change have a bigger rep than their recient work warrents, Jim Lee I am speaking about you. Also with the flag as a part of the outfit that puts double the pressure on the creative people because most people expect it to be there. 

#5 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13417 posts) - - Show Bio

No. More popular maybe but not more well known.

#6 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Widow, but WonderWoman is the most reconized female hero in the world and she's earned it to put it simple, she's an Icon. Wonderwomen is also more than a rope and an invisible jet. This character has a long hisory, and was around when women weren't reall excepted as heroes in comics, she has overcome that obstacle, as well as withstanding the test of time and never fading in popularity as more than an ordinary female hero!

#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they know more about Black Widow from the movie, but it is generally known that Wonder Woman is comics biggest heroine. Regular people may have no idea what she does or her powers, but they know who she is.

#8 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Not by any stretch of the imagination.

#9 Posted by Daedalus_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. She may not have been in a movie, but EVERYONE knows Wonder Woman.

Black Widow will be forgotten in a few months.

#10 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daedalus_ said:

she won't be forgotten if she gets a solo movie or gets cast again in avengers 2.

Yes, I do get people here telling me about the test of time.

#11 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3563 posts) - - Show Bio

The non-comic person who didn't see the Avengers or Iron Man 2 have never heard of Black Widow. Everyone has heard of Wonder Woman.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the OP.

#12 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

The non-comic person who didn't see the Avengers or Iron Man 2 have never heard of Black Widow. Everyone has heard of Wonder Woman.

Yep.

#13 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people know more about the idea of Wonder Woman but are more familiar with the character Black Widow, if that makes sense.

#14 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

How much from the Avengers movie do we actually learn about Black Widow?  You pick up her real name, that she speaks Russian, that she did some not-so-nice things in the past, but little real specifics compared to her overall comic history.  So, no, people who have only seen the Avengers movie don't really "know" Black Widow at all.

#15 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupidest thing I've heard. In 3 years time, you're going to ask people who is Black Widow and they'll give you a blank face.

Ask them about Wonder Woman, you'll hear, 70s tv show, invisible plane, lasso of truth, amazon and stuff like that.

Theres a reason why Black Widow doesn't even have her own comics

#16 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

@Daedalus_ said:

she won't be forgotten if she gets a solo movie or gets cast again in avengers 2.

Yes, I do get people here telling me about the test of time.

Also, she wont get a movie. She cant even support her own book.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Also, she isnt more popular than Wonder Woman. Storm, contested idea, so perhaps, Ms Marvel, uhmmmm..... unlikely but possibly. Black Widow, no.

#17 Posted by cattlebattle (12997 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

Stupidest thing I've heard. In 3 years time, you're going to ask people who is Black Widow and they'll give you a blank face.

Ask them about Wonder Woman, you'll hear, 70s tv show, invisible plane, lasso of truth, amazon and stuff like that.

Theres a reason why Black Widow doesn't even have her own comics

This exactly, 

Just because one summer movie Widow is featured in is popular right now doesn't  mean a thing compared to the decades of exposure Wonder Woman has whether through comics or just pop culture in general...this post is ridiculous
#18 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7987 posts) - - Show Bio

I refuse to believe this.

#19 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say that she's more popular than WW today, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that she's more well-known worldwide.

#20 Posted by Pyro_Jack (345 posts) - - Show Bio

She is more popular now a days, but WW will always be more well known because she is one of the classic heroes, like Superman and Batman.

#21 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

If she was more popular than WW, then she'd be able to support her own comic.

#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

qft

#23 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

- Wonder Woman is an icon.

- Black Widow is a supporting character.

#24 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Widow isn't more popular or more well known.I saw the Avengers with people who still don't know jack about Black Widow.

#25 Posted by jhazzroucher (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

So the avengers got shown and many people saw the movie. They can probably name three things about black widow but none about wonder woman.Maybe even some facts about her campy t.v show but I don't want wonder woman remembered only for that t.v show. It's was campy and not taken seriously if saw today though it was fun to watch. So do you think Black Widow is more well known than Wonder Woman?

Ororo Munroe aka Storm has more than 3 movies shown worldwide though

#26 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@moywar700 said:

Mystique was in 4 just sayin

#27 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seen Avengers, but the people who saw Avengers, I assume they know more about Black Widow than the average person knows about Wonder Woman.

#28 Posted by jhazzroucher (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@moywar700 said:

Mystique was in 4 just sayin

MOre than 3 movies mean Storm has appeared more than 3 movies. You shouldn't forget her cameo appearances in x-men origins wolverine and x-men first class. and a movie made for Stan lee " the greatest fan film of all time. If you don't want to consider those, then consider "the superhero movie."

#29 Posted by Deranged Midget (17721 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe it.

#30 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: Those were cameos and her roles in the X movies excluding the 3rd were minimal, I'm just sayin movies don't make the character. Storm is a big character in her own right, but this is the WW forum so lets tallk about Wonder Woman.

#31 Posted by jhazzroucher (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher: Those were cameos and her roles in the X movies excluding the 3rd were minimal, I'm just sayin movies don't make the character. Storm is a big character in her own right, but this is the WW forum so lets tallk about Wonder Woman.

We're talking about popularity especially based on movies and I'm just saying Storm is somebody to consider as well as Catwoman when it comes to popularity in movies.

Movies do make the character too.

and movies make a character popular because movies are bigger mediums than comics. Movies are shown worldwide and can also be replayed in the future on televisions or if you simply have your own dvd copy of it.

#32 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: In some ways thats true but the X-Men movies may have brought awareness to Storm they did nothing positive for the character themself, same goes for Catwoman because both perceptions of the character were false and weak. Which is why if they ever make a Wonder Woman movie they had better knock it out the park

#33 Posted by noj (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres the thing, how many people even know her as Black Widow? She is only mentioned by her code name once or twice in the movie and is called Natasha throughout most of it.

#34 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Very true!

#35 Posted by jhazzroucher (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher: In some ways thats true but the X-Men movies may have brought awareness to Storm they did nothing positive for the character themself, same goes for Catwoman because both perceptions of the character were false and weak. Which is why if they ever make a Wonder Woman movie they had better knock it out the park

Maybe for those who know Storm but how about others who didn't know who Storm is til they watched the movie? Storm and Catwoman's characters on the movies were not weak. It was just not what we have expected.

@noj said:

Heres the thing, how many people even know her as Black Widow? She is only mentioned by her code name once or twice in the movie and is called Natasha throughout most of it.

so true.

#36 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I'd say that she's more popular than WW today, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that she's more well-known worldwide.

- Unless she gets a spin off movie of her own and it does well there is no way anyone outside of comic fans remember her 6 months from now, much less more than WW. Wonder Woman on the other hand is known throughout generations at some level.

#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everything have to be about Storm?

#38 Posted by jhazzroucher (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wanna say that I don't come to WW forum often and the thread title just happens to be something that Storm can be involved. Besides, if we're going to count, there are more posts in Storm forum with the WW name.

#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

I just wanna say that I don't come to WW forum often and the thread title just happens to be something that Storm can be involved. Besides, if we're going to count, there are more posts in Storm forum with the WW name.

This isn't something that Storm can be involved in because the title of the thread isn't "Who is the most popular female character" it's "Black Widow is more well known than Wonder Woman", the OP asks a question that has NOTHING to do with Storm.So again, I ask..Why does everything always have to be about Storm? You know very well this is going to turn now into an argument of whether Wonder Woman is more popular or well known than Storm (which she obviously is) which is off-topic since the OP and thread title have don't mention her or ask for anything that could possibly concern the character.
#40 Edited by jhazzroucher (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

With the successful movie, Black Widow is getting more popular but for how long will they remember her? But it's possible that more people know her than WW because movies are shown worldwide with lots of appearances in posters, action figures, newspapers, internet, etc.

Apparently, WW is only doing well in comics. DC's characters are not getting a lot of exposure but in comics only. Their latest video game wasn't even a hit while Marvel always provides us a lot like marvel vs capcom and the current popular facebook game: Marvel Avengers Alliance which Black Widow is on it.

Comics don't go to a lot of countries and WW is not popular in all countries

The advantage of WW though is she has appeared more in cartoon series

#41 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
black widow isnt even on marvel vs capcom. dcuo has wonder woman from the begining to the end. dcuo is a much bigger game than marvel's alliance. also they know who is scarlett johanssan, they just know black widow as scarlett johansson. Black Widow also cant even hold a solo ongoing. Her last run was a pathetic 8 issue. Wonder Woman has more than 600 issues and is constantly being talked about in the comics community. She is prominently being featured in justice league and has appeared on young justice, justice league, jlu, 3 or 4 dtv justice league movied and even her own ww dtv movie. She has her 70s tv show and constantly being reference in pop culture. penny from big bang theory cosplayed her as well as kim kardashian, giselle bundchen, rachel bilson on the oc, miranda kerr. Recently on nbc's "happy ending" one of the lead actress pretended to deflect bullets with her wrist guard which obviously is another reference to wonder woman. so yes she is more well known and more popular
The reason why people are constantly comparing femal superheroes to wonder woman is because she is the most iconic femalesuperhero. Everyone from 12 years old to 65 year old knows who wonder woman is. For any superhero (female) to be more popular or well known than wonder woman means she is on top already. Until now, there is none more popular or well known than wonder woman. This is a fact, not an opinion.

@jhazzroucher:

#42 Posted by TAneT62 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

black widow isnt even on marvel vs capcom. dcuo has wonder woman from the begining to the end. dcuo is a much bigger game than marvel's alliance. also they know who is scarlett johanssan, they just know black widow as scarlett johansson. Black Widow also cant even hold a solo ongoing. Her last run was a pathetic 8 issue. Wonder Woman has more than 600 issues and is constantly being talked about in the comics community. She is prominently being featured in justice league and has appeared on young justice, justice league, jlu, 3 or 4 dtv justice league movied and even her own ww dtv movie. She has her 70s tv show and constantly being reference in pop culture. penny from big bang theory cosplayed her as well as kim kardashian, giselle bundchen, rachel bilson on the oc, miranda kerr. Recently on nbc's "happy ending" one of the lead actress pretended to deflect bullets with her wrist guard which obviously is another reference to wonder woman. so yes she is more well known and more popular
The reason why people are constantly comparing femal superheroes to wonder woman is because she is the most iconic femalesuperhero. Everyone from 12 years old to 65 year old knows who wonder woman is. For any superhero (female) to be more popular or well known than wonder woman means she is on top already. Until now, there is none more popular or well known than wonder woman.
This is a fact, not an opinion.

@jhazzroucher:

THIS MATES.

#43 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Exactly, Im so sick of people making lame threads like this trying to prove that their superhero is more popular or well known than wonder woman. Just because she is the top dog, people want to tear wonder woman down so that their fav hero can look better. Diana will always be the most popular and well known Superhero. Using oh she appeared in a movie is a lame evident. Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex have their own movie. Are they nore popular than Flash who doesnt have his own movie? No. Neither are they more well known. Furthermore she just appeared as part of a team mvie.

@TAneT62:

#44 Posted by TAneT62 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Exactly, Im so sick of people making lame threads like this trying to prove that their superhero is more popular or well known than wonder woman. Just because she is the top dog, people want to tear wonder woman down so that their fav hero can look better. Diana will always be the most popular and well known Superhero.
Using oh she appeared in a movie is a lame evident.
Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex have their own movie. Are they nore popular than Flash who doesnt have his own movie? No. Neither are they more well known. Furthermore she just appeared as part of a team mvie.

@TAneT62:

Exactly, i'm sick of it to, WW is an iconic legend, storm isn't, widow isn't and not one female superheroine isn't ... well none that i can think of ... My sister is only 8 and knows who WW is .... What i don't get is making a catwoman, elektra and so on and so forth movies and yet they don't take a chance with WW ... unfair, i hate how, at the moment, they depowered her, made her so weak, its annoying and irritating, if only the original writer and creater of WW were still living, things would be so different.

I love Widow, no doubt, but she is no WW.

#45 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Amen. Except I do think its okay that she is depowered.

@TAneT62 said:

@sethysquare said:

Exactly, Im so sick of people making lame threads like this trying to prove that their superhero is more popular or well known than wonder woman. Just because she is the top dog, people want to tear wonder woman down so that their fav hero can look better. Diana will always be the most popular and well known Superhero.
Using oh she appeared in a movie is a lame evident.
Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex have their own movie. Are they nore popular than Flash who doesnt have his own movie? No. Neither are they more well known. Furthermore she just appeared as part of a team mvie.

@TAneT62:

Exactly, i'm sick of it to, WW is an iconic legend, storm isn't, widow isn't and not one female superheroine isn't ... well none that i can think of ... My sister is only 8 and knows who WW is .... What i don't get is making a catwoman, elektra and so on and so forth movies and yet they don't take a chance with WW ... unfair, i hate how, at the moment, they depowered her, made her so weak, its annoying and irritating, if only the original writer and creater of WW were still living, things would be so different.

I love Widow, no doubt, but she is no WW.

#46 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

WW = Iconic

Black Widow = currently popular

learn the difference people. If Black Widow keeps being popular for a few years, maybe even with a role in a shield movie, more avengers movies and so forth, she could become more known, but she isnt very well known.

HECK, not even WW, one of DC's big 3 is THAT well known.

Visually, yes, all the big 3 and even some other heroes from DC and Marvel are well known, but I know lots of places where people from all ages call her "SuperWoman". Yeah, it makes me sad, but I got over it. So that proves that even though WW is a icon, specially in the US, she isn't the most well known super hero. She is though the most well known and recognized super heroine. Will she ever be toppled? Maybe, there's a growing interest with Super heroes so maybe if a super heroine from DC or Marvel manage to get a sucessful tv show and/or movie, they could. Is it likely? no, for the same reason WW isn't that well known. Because super heroes steal a large portion of attention from super heroines and companies dont try to invest on them

#47 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

HELLLLL NO.

#48 Posted by StarKiller809 (1239 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! Wonder Woman is an icon. Black Widow is an action character that was hot in a movie. Black Widow will never, ever, be close to the popularity of Wonder Woman. Sure, she was in a huge film but that won't top the fact that Wonder Woman is THE main female superhero ever... Black Widow will be gone in a few years.

Arghh...

#49 Posted by fingernail9 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Widow should just kill Assassinate Wonder Woman, then maybe she'll get the recognition that she deserves. Like that coward who killed Brad Pitt in the Jesse James Movie!

#50 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

At the moment yea but that's only because DC is scared of women heroes in movies apparently. They assume since Catwoman failed all other women heroes will fail because they don't seem to understand the real reason Catwoman didn't work

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.