Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Black Female Villain

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

I think we need someone new and amazing to add to some diversity to Wonder Woman's rogue gallery. Black Manta is a perfect black villain for Aquaman so lets try it with Diana. I think this new female character should be obnoxious and act a little ratchet. A personality similar to Luke Cage. I'm not trying to go for stereotypes so don't get the wrong idea about this. This character should be jealous of Wonder Woman and want to take her fame. She can start off as a hero then turn in to a villain. Her stats should be similar to General Zod in a way. Her ambitions should differentiate from Diana's. Wonder Woman fights for truth and justice so I think this character should fight for freedom and oppression. I actually think this could work but others can feel different about it.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 dshipp17  Online

There are two big problems with your proposal: yet another female to Wonder Woman's rogues gallery, a gallery already too saturated with female villains, and a continued refusal to define and develop Wonder Woman's already existing rogues gallery; this proposal could work, after the writers have spent a lot more time introducing, defining, and upgrading Dr. Psycho. All other Wonder Woman villains have been sampled post-Flashpoint except him, relative to being in contact with Wonder Woman on panel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: What is your obsession with her having male villains? Nobody complains about male heroes having too many male villains. Dr.Psycho can wait for a retcon because he is honestly not going to be very entertaining action-wise or for a ongoing storyline. His place should be as Wonder Woman's punching bag so she can move on to bigger threats. Her writers have had nearly 100 years to establish and solidify her rogue gallery and they failed to do that. That is not our problem and we should move on to new and bigger things. We should be concerned about her current villains not some hit and miss villains that we probably won't see again.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dshipp17  Online

@dshipp17: What is your obsession with her having male villains? Nobody complains about male heroes having too many male villains. Dr.Psycho can wait for a retcon because he is honestly not going to be very entertaining action-wise or for a ongoing storyline. His place should be as Wonder Woman's punching bag so she can move on to bigger threats. Her writers have had nearly 100 years to establish and solidify her rogue gallery and they failed to do that. That is not our problem and we should move on to new and bigger things. We should be concerned about her current villains not some hit and miss villains that we probably won't see again.

What you're saying about Dr. Psycho is baseless, makes no sense, and doesn't jive with reality; Dr. Psycho was the high point of the JMS/Hester run and he is the only villain in Wonder Woman's rogue's gallery who hasn't been update, retconned, or tried; the Wonder Woman writers tried and failed with Wonder Woman's other villains, mainly female villains like Cheetah, Giganta, Circe, and Silver Swan, and than tried and failed by introducing other female villains like Devastation, Genocide, and the Circle; knowing all that, why keep repeating the insanity by bringing in more female villains and not going with the only villain who has never really been tested, Dr. Psycho? Dr. Psycho is absolutely the only villain who could carry on an ongoing storyline in the Wonder Woman comics, mainly, a storyline centered around gender conflict, frankly, the only topic that evokes any ideas about Wonder Woman in most comic book readers' minds. It's hard to see how a long term Wonder Woman fan can't understand that, but, it is for a recent fan who probably just started following her after Flashpoint.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there a black Amazon who challenged Daina for the title of Wonder Woman couple of times? Nubia i think her name was. They could restart that old rivalry.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dshipp17  Online

@agent41 said:

@dshipp17: Circe never fail as a WW villan. It's one of her best villans. Swan ends up joining WW's side at the end so she didn't fail either. Giganta is rarely used sonthere is no point in talking about her until they give her a chance. Cheetah has had her shining moments and is great under writers that know what they are doing.

The poster pointed out many years that writers failed to establish Wonder Woman villains; so, the only possible villains to fail with would have been Circe, Cheetah, and Giganta. Of course Circe failed; they tried her and she never resonated as a villain; everybody finds Cheetah bland; she's been everywhere and in many Wonder Woman issues and does not stick with readers very well, despite the writer. Giganta certainly has not been rarely used in comparison to Dr. Psycho; she has about the same page time as Circe, which is basically sufficient. But, these villains can be update, although Dr. Psycho needs significant page time and several updates; I think his bringing in gender conflict will work for the Wonder Woman comics.

Wasn't there a black Amazon who challenged Daina for the title of Wonder Woman couple of times? Nubia i think her name was. They could restart that old rivalry.

Yes, Nubia is probably more of a supporting character rather than a villain, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we please not have another female villain whose whole issue with WW is "I'm jealous of you"? It doesn't make for good stories, it doesn't make for good characterization, and it's overwhelmingly cliche.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Idk id love a black wonder girl though or a black female antihero of sorts...maybe like a catwoman to Diana's batman...sometimes villains and sometimes heroes but idk how it would work but just a thought

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea a lot, but if DC decides to do anything remotely similar they'd probably just reintroduce Nubia. I think there needs to be more popular black female characters anyway lol. Hero or Villain. This idea is great though, what would her powers be?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wtk1013 said:

I like the idea a lot, but if DC decides to do anything remotely similar they'd probably just reintroduce Nubia. I think there needs to be more popular black female characters anyway lol. Hero or Villain. This idea is great though, what would her powers be?

I agree. There aren't many popular black females so it would be great. I was thinking her physical stats should be similar to Wonder Woman. Some powers I think would be great are: anti-god mode, blood manipulation, and dark energy/lightning. There are others that can be cool though.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@somayareece: going off that anti god mode thing.....what if she was like trying to kill the greek gods for all the bad they did so like she's a god slayer(like from thor) but with WW's power levels. i was going off of that catwoman thought i had but what you said really fit into that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: Yeah a lot like that. Instead of her eyes glowing blue, it could be black or pink. She could actually be like Gorr or Kurse from Thor. I'm glad you got the right idea.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know she's never been black in the comics, but for some reason when ever I picture Queen Clea in my head she's being played by Vanessa Williams.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jphulk26

@somayareece - i would love a black female villain for ww. Perhaps if they ever bring the circle back, they could develop more than just alkyone and because there was a black member of the circle, and I think they were ww best female villains to date. even over cheetah. alkyone for me is very sadly underrated by ww fans.

I think at this point developing ww´s old villains is a better option. adding more is just plain idiotic by dc, all that´s going to happen is the next writer will forget about them. I BET The First Born will never ever be seen again. They just need to get there head out their ass. If they started to develop old villians then I´ll take some of the new ones a bit more seriously, till then I´m not interested.

Just read your idea as well. I like it. I think someone said that could work as ww´s catwoman. an antihero, sometimes ally, sometimes villain. I think that actually works alot.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Outside_85

Just bring Apollo back from the dead:

No Caption Provided

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apollo was a dumb villain. One of the dumbest villains wonder woman has ever had. Including mouse man.

Just bring Apollo back from the dead:

No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

Apollo was a dumb villain. One of the dumbest villains wonder woman has ever had. Including mouse man.

Since he was better than 95% of Wonder Woman's villains, your oppinion on them must be really low.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I understand. They could bring Nubia back as a full time character. I hate how most of Wonder Woman's villains just get forgotten and unused.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

Since he was better than 95% of Wonder Woman's villains, your oppinion on them must be really low.

How? My opinion of most comic book villains is low. Nearly all superheroes have terrible villians, but making the sun god one of WW´s villains is a dumb idea. Conceptually I mean. I´m not talking about how he was written. He was written just fine. It´s the same as turning Hera against her. It´s trying to be so clever, it ends up just being a mess. There is reason that in an archetypical sense, certain Gods are not turned into villianous characters. The sun is seen spiritually speaking as the source of all life and light in the world, so I think it is very difficult for one to wrap their head around the concept of turning the sun god into a villonous entity, no matter how well it´s done, that concept could never endure. At least WW previous villains as bad as they were conceptually could work. That´s all I mean. I really just hate the concept. It worked for this particular story which I still think should be seen as an elseworld, but outside of that, it´s idiotic. I couldn´t imagine what would happen and the trainwreck a ww movie would be if general audiences found out she was facing off against a sun god. People think Cheetah is bad, well Apollo is so much worse.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know she's never been black in the comics, but for some reason when ever I picture Queen Clea in my head she's being played by Vanessa Williams.

I could totally see that!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CSG_CL

@jphulk26 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @jphulk26 said:

How? My opinion of most comic book villains is low. Nearly all superheroes have terrible villians, but making the sun god one of WW´s villains is a dumb idea. Conceptually I mean. I´m not talking about how he was written. He was written just fine. It´s the same as turning Hera against her. It´s trying to be so clever, it ends up just being a mess. There is reason that in an archetypical sense, certain Gods are not turned into villianous characters. The sun is seen spiritually speaking as the source of all life and light in the world, so I think it is very difficult for one to wrap their head around the concept of turning the sun god into a villonous entity, no matter how well it´s done, that concept could never endure. At least WW previous villains as bad as they were conceptually could work. That´s all I mean. I really just hate the concept. It worked for this particular story which I still think should be seen as an elseworld, but outside of that, it´s idiotic. I couldn´t imagine what would happen and the trainwreck a ww movie would be if general audiences found out she was facing off against a sun god. People think Cheetah is bad, well Apollo is so much worse.

I don't really think Apollo was portrayed as a "villain" under Azzarello ... more of a rival. Like all of the gods Azzarello portrayed, he was shown as more amoral than good/bad. He had an agenda and did what he needed to do in order to fulfill it, just like Hera he turned into something of an ally once their initial source of conflict was eliminated. Like the other Olympians (from classic literature too), Apollo has been seen as petty and vindictive as well as a source of life and wonder.

I agree with your thoughts on his being a poor choice for a movie villain though ... to be honest I think most of the Olympians would be a poor choice with the exceptions of Ares or Hades as they are generally known to be villains, or more realistically they are feared because of the concepts they represent. Most other Olympians represent generally positive concepts (Justice, Heaven, Life, Love etc...) that have negative expression from time to time, but none of the other 12 main Olympians are inherently fearful on an "average day".

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I didn't say all of her villains are motivated by jealousy, I just don't want another Veronica Cale situation. Setting someone up to be a legitimate foe for WW, having her be brilliant and intimidating, only to have their entire motivation be jealousy is weak storytelling IMO. "I'm jealous of you, so I'm going to try to destroy the world *insert villainous cackle*". It'd be like Lex Luthor constantly trying to kill Superman for not being bald.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This works. Her name has to be "Black Female Villain", though.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By dernman

Modern Luke Cage isn't those things.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Outside_85

@jphulk26 said:

Ok, so you don't like him in this role because you can't picture a sun-god as a bad guy.

Thats a very one-dimensional way of looking at a deity known for skinning a flute-challenger alive and being the guy responsible for plagues breaking out.

But like I said, it's a one dimensional vision to think the sun is all good. If we picture Apollo as the Sun embodied, then you might also remember that he's the guy giving everyone skin cancer, watching unflinching from above as people die of dehydration and with human help is slowly cooking the planet.

The sun might be the source of life on this world, but it has a capacity for cruelty no less than that of the sea or wind.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @jphulk26 said:

Apollo as a villain makes sense to me. In most pantheons the Sun God is the ruler so it makes sense that Apollo would feel that that's his proper place too.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jphulk26

@muffin_sangria - Apollo may make sense to you and your reasoning is fair enough, but I think most people would see it as pretty underwhelming, because the connotations that go with Apollo are not negative. I think a lot of people just won´t get why or what meaning it serves for ww to be facing the sun. Remember Super Man Quest For Peace? And atleast that was Nuclear Man.

Same thing with Cheetah and I´m pretty sure you know I ike Cheetah by now, but everything you hear people say about Cheetah, while knowing nothing about the character is the same complaints you´ll hear about Apollo. There´s nothing organic or immediately villainous about a Cheetah, that´s why people can´t wrap their head around the character who don´t know her story. Cheetahs are generally seen as noble and heroic as well. Nearly anywhere you see a Cheetah in literature, they are nearly always the heroic characters.

Same problem goes for Hercules as WW´s main villain. As a cameo villain is clever, The way Perrez did it, because it flipped the image of Hercules on his head. But if he was the main villain of that book it would have been a disaster.

Again this is why Dr. Psyhco I think works conceptually more than people think. So does Dr. Poison. Psychos are bad, Poison is bad. Doctors also have a history of being some of the most melevalent people to ever have existed. It´s not really strong, but it´s better than a Cheetah. You might as well have a villain called Puppy or Dolphin. See the confusion now?

Clowns are terrifying, which is why joker is so successful. Again, what is something the vast majority of humanity despise? War. That is why making ww God Of War in a movie is a mistake. Works in comics, may even work in TV if explained over a period of time. But it would confuse the hell out of people in film. Just like Ares being her villain makes sense. A God Of War, the apotheoisis of wars evils is something that people will get on a viseral level.

Point being, New 52 WW is unfilmable in my opinion and would tank at the box-office. It´s too crazy and more suited to TV.

@csg_cl said:

I don't really think Apollo was portrayed as a "villain" under Azzarello ... more of a rival. Like all of the gods Azzarello portrayed, he was shown as more amoral than good/bad. He had an agenda and did what he needed to do in order to fulfill it, just like Hera he turned into something of an ally once their initial source of conflict was eliminated. Like the other Olympians (from classic literature too), Apollo has been seen as petty and vindictive as well as a source of life and wonder.

I agree with your thoughts on his being a poor choice for a movie villain though ... to be honest I think most of the Olympians would be a poor choice with the exceptions of Ares or Hades as they are generally known to be villains, or more realistically they are feared because of the concepts they represent. Most other Olympians represent generally positive concepts (Justice, Heaven, Life, Love etc...) that have negative expression from time to time, but none of the other 12 main Olympians are inherently fearful on an "average day".

I think Hades is too much like the devil to be used as villian. Ares however because of how wars have stayed with humanity and how large scale our wars are now adays has alot you can do with him. He could really be used as a metaphor for all that is bad with mans world. With Hades I never really like him as a villain in anything. A cameo is fine cause it´s always cool to see the underworld, or maybe as some kind of comic character like in Percy Jackson, but never the main baddie, unless there´s a really good reason.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@muffin_sangria - Apollo may make sense to you and your reasoning is fair enough, but I think most people would see it as pretty underwhelming, because the connotations that go with Apollo are not negative. I think a lot of people just won´t get why or what meaning it serves for ww to be facing the sun. Remember Super Man Quest For Peace? And atleast that was Nuclear Man.

Let me just say, there is actually one Sun-God-like character that everyone in the western world is familiar with, and is known to be evil:

No Caption Provided

Ofc, most tend to forget that his name literally translates into Morning Star, which is the sun.

Aside that, most people didn't seem to have any difficultly with understanding why Perseus was fighting Zeus in Clash of the Titans. Like Apollo, Zeus isn't known to be evil.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @jphulk26 said:

Apollo as a villain makes sense to me. In most pantheons the Sun God is the ruler so it makes sense that Apollo would feel that that's his proper place too.

It could work ... especially in a modern day setting such as Azzarello created for Olympus under Apollo. I'd say though that for a general public audience they aren't going to "get it" considering the vast majority of Apollo's portrayals are as a more sympathetic/heroic god.

@jphulk26 said:

@csg_cl said:

I think Hades is too much like the devil to be used as villian. Ares however because of how wars have stayed with humanity and how large scale our wars are now adays has alot you can do with him. He could really be used as a metaphor for all that is bad with mans world. With Hades I never really like him as a villain in anything. A cameo is fine cause it´s always cool to see the underworld, or maybe as some kind of comic character like in Percy Jackson, but never the main baddie, unless there´s a really good reason.

Agreed ... Hades, IMO, is too broad in his evil. Feels a little too much like a "catch all" bad guy. Whereas Ares has a more specific agenda

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Him not traditionally being associated as a villain is what made turning him into one so interesting. Really the only issue with him in Azzarello;s run was that he got killed off in favor of the boring, and two-dimensional Firstborn. Now if we were talking about movie then yes they shouldn;t use Apollo, and are better off using Ares.

It's interesting that you bring up Lucifer. While I wouldn't pick him to be one of Wonder Woman's enemies I've been thinking for a while that Michael should be one of Wonder Woman's enemies. With her being the God of War now it only makes sense that she should come into conflict with the Angle of War especially is she's trying to change the meaning of what war is.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Him not traditionally being associated as a villain is what made turning him into one so interesting. Really the only issue with him in Azzarello;s run was that he got killed off in favor of the boring, and two-dimensional Firstborn. Now if we were talking about movie then yes they shouldn;t use Apollo, and are better off using Ares.

It's interesting that you bring up Lucifer. While I wouldn't pick him to be one of Wonder Woman's enemies I've been thinking for a while that Michael should be one of Wonder Woman's enemies. With her being the God of War now it only makes sense that she should come into conflict with the Angle of War especially is she's trying to change the meaning of what war is.

Honestly, I'd prefer Azzarello's Apollo over the usual DC Ares in a movie, since he had the capacity for planning and staying behind the scenes till he knew he could get what he wanted. Plus, he did have that 'smooth criminal' appeal and lady draw that could make him look like a Bond villain.

In DC terms... I wouldn't bring Michael into conflict with regular heroes, he's normally been depicted as far too powerful for anyone short of Lucifer to handle. In movie terms... absolutely not, I think there would be a huge backlash from people of faith that don't want items of their faith compared unfavorably to an old pagan system.

(That said, in relation to Lucifer, I was thinking that Apollo during the movie would drop some cryptic line linking him to biblical events. Something like confronting someone who doesn't believe he exists but knows he's dangerous: "Jesus? I tried to tempt him once. Bastard Son didn't take it."

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Retcon Cheetah to be black, or make Minerva pass down the mantle to a black woman.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.