Becoming acquainted with WW

#1 Edited by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I know nothing about her except that she's an Amazon, wields the lasso of truth, can fly and is part of the so-called trinity. Sure I watched JLA cartoon as s kid, but putting that aside - never read a single page about her. What would you recommend me to start with? I thought v3 from 2006, but it says that Donna's WW at the start, so I guess this is a follow-up of some sort? I'd like to start with the core beginnings of the character.

#2 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: Trust me on this: alot of Wonder Woman runs are awful, so be careful.

The best and most critically praised

1. To start watch the animated feature online.

2. Greg Ruckas run is excellent. The high points are The Eyes Of The Gorgon.

3. Perrez Gods And Mortals is a great, yet outdated origin story.

4. The Circle by Gail Simone. (If you like this, then you´ll probably like the rest of her run) Gail Simone wrote the WW animated film, so if you like that this is a good read. My personal favorite.

5. Spirit Of Truth.

6. The Hikkieta. (Not the right spelling but its a graphic novel by Greg Rucka)

7. Alot of young people like the current New 52 Run. (But it divides WW fans into two camps, cause alot of changes have been made to her origin)

Avoid:

John Bryne Wonder Woman

Jeff Loebs Wonder Woman

The Odyssey

The 3 above are really bad, any other runs apart from those I´ve recommended have been pretty mediocre if you ask me.

Enjoy and let me know what you think. ;)

#3 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch the WW animated movie is a must it's really good. A long with Superman/Batman Apocalypse. That's how I got started one night channel surfing.

#4 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks, I'll look into it. Just spent under an hour reading overviews of Diana, her mother and aunt, Themyscira etc., really like the setting of the character, great potential for interesting story arcs. Now to catch up on 60 years of this...

#5 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

All great suggestions and it would be awesome if you start here. This is perhaps the most popular version of the character and this issue, while a bit wordy for a comic, defines her brilliantly.

If you read through to issue 13 you'll never have to read another Wonder Woman comic again.

#6 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (756 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I loved the Odyssey, but I'm in a very small minority. Most fans couldn't get past the new costume and other changes. I had a problem with it too at first, but eventually the costume grew on me, and once Phil Hester took over writing duties the comic became a joy. It had some dope covers too.

She was very different visually, and her back story was altered slightly, but her essence was the same. She was still about empowering women and stopping war with love, but she also became a seeker of justice.

One thing is certain, it was undeniably action packed. There was bloodshed almost every issue. It's said that Azzarello's run is a horror story, but the real horror was in the Odyssey. There was a foreboding sense of doom and characters were eliminated almost as soon as you warmed to them like in a John Carpenter film. For the first time since Perez's reintroduction the Cheetah was actually scary. She was the grim reaper with superspeed that eviscerated opponents before they could move. As Furies along with Artemis and Giganta a full townhouse of Amazons were slaughtered effortlessly. They were a formidable trifecta of evil and you didn't know how Diana would overcome them.

The Odyssey was also notable for presenting the best Doctor Psycho story, bar none. Instead of a monster you saw him as a person. His warped love for Diana was evident as well as his respect. He helped her as much as anyone in the entire run.

It was definitely different, friends were enemies and enemies were friends and the story delved into the psychological aspects of Wonder Woman and her mission in great detail. It was modern, inventive, dynamic, slick and urban. Those are adjectives I love and it also contained my favorite two pages of any Wonder Woman comic, where Diana finally learns to fly. The joy she feels is palpable and you can't help but smile along with her.

I challenge other fans to give it a second try. Many of my copies are bent up, damaged and without covers due to constant rereading and to me that's the mark of a great series.

#7 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: The second volume was better than the first, I must admit that. But I really think, the energy and imagination used for that comic could have been spent giving her a modern origin story. But the second volumes worth a read your right, and I personally do prefer it to the current run.

#8 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

All great suggestions and it would be awesome if you start here. This is perhaps the most popular version of the character and this issue, while a bit wordy for a comic, defines her brilliantly.

If you read through to issue 13 you'll never have to read another Wonder Woman comic again.

i don't think you should go that far,there are very good runs,not just the first 13 issues of perez run.

#9 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: start with perez run then ruka run,those are the best,after that you can start with simone run,it's good,and better than loebs and bryne runs.

#10 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

So the consensus is to start with Perez and then Ruckas. Perez's is an origin story?

#11 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: perez used the same origing that started in the 60s,perez run is one of the best.

#12 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (756 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: The second volume was better than the first, I must admit that. But I really think, the energy and imagination used for that comic could have been spent giving her a modern origin story. But the second volumes worth a read your right, and I personally do prefer it to the current run.

I liked the first half too. The part where she (may have) slaughtered a whole battalion of mercenaries with their own ricocheting bullets was awesome!

It was a modern origin story. Everything was the same except Themyscira was invaded shortly after Diana's birth. Hippolyta and most of the Amazons were murdered and the rest went on the run, hiding in small colonies placed all over the world in an attempt to protect their princess. Diana was trained in various countries eventually settling in New York City. This meant she was international with an urban slant that made her COOL. She was like the Rock Star version of Wonder Woman, with a contemporary teenager's sensibilities. She was only 18 and it was fun watching her come into her own and gradually more powerful. At the end of the run the real Wonder Woman was integrated with the alternate Odyssey version thus changing her origin because she kept her more Americanized upbringing.

#13 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: she was so weak in the oddisey story,but it had a good story and art,i enjoyed it.

#14 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: Yes start with Perez!

@gokuwarrior: Agree, one of her weakest (physically) moments yet.

#15 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

If I remember correctly, Perez is v2. Best to ignore v1 or, if I have some spare time, just start from 1 and follow the river?

#16 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: V1 is something you can read for curiosity but there is nothing great there story-wise,at least for me,are you going to read the comics online?.

#17 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: Yes, actually, why? :)

#18 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: comics from the 40s and 50s have more one dimensional stories,they weren't mature either because at the time they were ment just for kids.

#19 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@vuki: Perrez really depends on if you can appreciate old comics, with certain cheesy elements, but that are ultimately great stories. Personally I think Perrez did a great job. vol 1 and 2, but for younger readers, I´d recommend Rucka - Simone.

#20 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.