Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Battle of the Chokers

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided

The exact origin of choker style necklaces is not really all that well known.  Some fashion historians think they became popular in modern Europe after women tied red ribbons around their necks to protest the executions in the French Revolution.  Nonetheless the fashion accessory has gone through periods of favour and disfavour just like most other things to do with fashion.  They are particularly associated with the Victorian era and also the roaring twenties, but as seems to be the case with almost every fashion accessory, they are popular in the modern day and have their fans here and now as well.  The purpose of the choker is kind of obvious.  Women’s bodies are generally a lot curvier and thus a hard edge at any point (especially when they are black) will draw attention to that area, either to highlight it or to draw the attention away from elsewhere.  In terms of their application to comics, chokers are not as common.  This is likely for one main reason and that is because most female characters that wear a costume have this hard edge near their necks anyway.  Notwithstanding that though at the moment at least one very popular female character at both DC and Marvel – Wonder Woman and Emma Frost – use these as part of their costumes.  In a practical sense wearing a choker might not be as dangerous as another type of necklace as it would be far less likely to be caught on something.  From a design perspective it makes sense as well as Wonder Woman and Emma Frost are consistently drawn to be among the most attractive characters in comics and the hard edge where it is draws attention to two areas that many comic fans look at, either the face or the part immediately below the neck.  Additionally I read it somewhere once that comic writers generally try to avoid a lot of complex jewelry on female characters as it is both hard to draw consistently and also makes the panels a little bit too busy, thus the relatively plain or at least plainly decorated choker is an item which can enhance a look without making it look too chintzy.  In terms of who has a better choker between Diana and Emma, it is highly subjective, though I am more prone to say Diana, because everything looks better on brunettes. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

Emma's a brunette. I call DC bias on this one......  

Then again, Wonder Woman has an ice cream. Not strictly relevant its still important to note. 

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By lykopis

Hard to argue - yes - brunettes carry it off, but SC is right about the original tress colour of the lovely Ms. Emma. I call tie. :)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @lykopis:  
    @SC:  

She's only been a blonde since having the choker - Tammy ftw
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

I learn a lot with you're blogs :D

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @lykopis:  
    @SC:   She's only been a blonde since having the choker - Tammy ftw

lol.....Alright, okay, that was a pretty masterful save, I agree. Tammy ftw.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @SC: I agree to the terms of your capitulation
    Avatar image for the_bride_of_nine_spiders
    The_Bride_Of_Nine_Spiders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A choker can be a disadvantage or advantage depending on whether one knows how to act in the situation. Disadvantage in the a twist with the finger to the choker will tighten it around the throat, advantage that while doing as such your opponent just made them self one handed at least, never a good move (the person wearing the choker still has both hands, and now has their opponent trapped in close quarters). So it can be used as a lure, especially handy in the case of these two who don't have to worry about the actual strangling factor (in diamond form for Emma anyways). The little things they teach you in self defense classes...

Visual wise just giving it a quick thought I would say in the long stretch Marvel and DC likely avoided this style as opposed to other publishers who are a little less conservative. And my personal award for current Choker Made Of Awesome is going to The Bride Of Nine Spiders. Everything looks better on black haired Nepalese supernatural spider-woman ninja's, especially when ornamented with huge spikes and wicked chains.

Je Je Je Je Je Je!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @The_Bride_Of_Nine_Spiders: I considered mentioning that, but on most chokers it would be pretty difficult to get a finger in there.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz:

Not really, no. The flesh itself and the neck is easy enough to push in then up and open a space to slide a finger up and behind it. It's a quick move I've seen demonstrated on a a tight bondage collar all things. Though in Diana's case I can't imagine really any opponent would be getting that far.

edit: Ooops, I mean, Je Je Je Je Je Je! :P

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @The_Bride_Of_Nine_Spiders: That was more my point, that with both of them it would be difficult to get so close

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: Oh see, right. Sorry cobwebs on the brain as usual. Je Je Je Je Je Je!

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By Hawkeye446

@SC said:

Emma's a brunette. I call DC bias on this one...... Then again, Wonder Woman has an ice cream. Not strictly relevant its still important to note.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Emma's wears a choker better (And I prefer Diana as a character fyi).

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Daveyo520

Tammy ftw?

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Daveyo520 said:

Tammy ftw?

I think a KITH reference? I live in my own little world though so probably not.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

@CATPANEXE: it means for the win it was just silly that she said it.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Daveyo520: I know that, I meant Tammy. Unless someone here is Tammy, I wouldn't know.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

@CATPANEXE: All Tammys are evil.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Daveyo520:

Tube videos sadly won't load for me. I thought it was a Canadian comedy troupes joke being pointed as a slam on Emma. Like I said I hail from another dimension. Up is green here, mortar is ice cream, sad is hazelnut, ect. It's hard to relate to this world, especially with the loss of my special sunglasses that let me see who is an alien, the secret messages hidden on dollar bills and billboard advertisements, and make me look kewl while chewing bubble gum (I'm all out of bubblegum). But as a stranger to this dimension who trusts you and thinks your awesome, I will take your advice and fear the burning touch of the ones called Tammy.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Daveyo520

@CATPANEXE: See Canada is also evil. The two evilest things are Canadians and people named Tammy. And now you know Rowdy Roddy Piper.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CATPANEXE

* chants *

Fear The Burning Touch Of The Tammy! Fear The Burning Touch Of The Tammy! Fear The Burning Touch Of The Tammy! Fear The Burning Touch Of The Tammy!...

Oops, there's a thread going on here. Sorry everybody! I'm killing the relevance with my idiocy. *^.^*

* shrinks down into a wind up mouse sized clown car and speeds away as fast as the small proportion of the craft will allow for *

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daveyo520

@CATPANEXE: No, you are doing just fine, trust me.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Daveyo520@CATPANEXE:  

What happened here? 

Tammy happened here

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.