Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Backdoor escape from the DCnU =w= comic for next creative team!

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 4_color_image

I am waiting for the next creative team or at least writer (I love Cliff's art) to step in & reveal that a huge chunk of the DCnU Wonder Woman comic has been the machinations of The Duke of Deception! Then we can go back to peaceful yet war ready techno-advanced Amazons, Polly with raven locks, Diana being created from clay, Artie & Donna hanging around the island & Diana winning the contest after Steve crashes on the island. Maybe even returning Cheetah to an origin that more closely resembles her Perez origin while keeping the Johns introduced twist of the various identities she has gone by. I like Diana's new look but her current origins has literally stripped EVERYTHING away from her that made her unique! Azz & TPTB have skinned her character & boiled her bones down to the most basic & pedestrian Greek themed origin story possible that very closely resembling the Timverse JLU origin. Is it only a matter of time before she gets an Invisible Jet created by Wayne Industries? I LOVED this comic when it was relaunched in 2011 but it has really become bogged down & teetering on boring. I am more excited now each month for Batwoman than Wonder Woman! Also, if Azz is so keen to keep the 'Super-Heroics' aspect out of the comic out & focus on the myth; then why hasn't Circe shown up? At least we would get one of Diana's more entertaining & bad-ass rouges thrown into the mix!

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By darkman61288

I agree that the Zola story is going too long butI like Azz's Wonder Woman.I feel that his tone is keeping WW from being just a female Superman which I think how Johns writes her. Her being Zeus's daughter adds family drama to her series, which sets her apart from Batman and Superman. The ony thing is that Hera as a villian should have been expanded, with Ares being her second in command.

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 4_color_image

@darkman61288 said:

Her being Zeus's daughter adds family drama to her series, which sets her apart from Batman and Superman.

There was in interesting dynamic between Bruce, Clark & Diana in regards to family. Bruce lost both parents as a child, Clark lost his biological parents as an infant but was later adopted by human parents & Diana was clay sculpted by a female & given life by females, she had no father but was raised by an entire island of women. in the DCnU they have all lost their parents & their is no uniqueness for each of the Trinity. Also Diana had plenty of family drama from an entire island of sisters & a mother! There was Hippolyta (Mother), Donna (Sister), Cassie (Sister), Artemis (Sister), Philippus (Other-Mother), Helena Kosmatos (Crazy Sister) & Io (wanted to me more than a sister).

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gokuwarrior

@darkman61288: she is not written as just a female superman in justice league,the problem is that justice league is the only place where she gets good feats and good action,because in her own title she hasn't had an epic fight yet,and the last real fight was like 6 months ago,so please don't say that arazzello's work with her is better,it's not better,nobody wants a wonder woman title where she never has good fights and seems to be a suporting cast when she is supposed to be the main character.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gokuwarrior

@4_color_image:

the problem is that nobody wants a wonder woman title where she never has good fights and seems to be a suporting cast when she is supposed to be the main character,her only good feats and fights are all from other comics.

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 4_color_image

@gokuwarrior said:

@darkman61288: she is not written as just a female superman in justice league,the problem is that justice league is the only place where she gets good feats and good action,because in her own title she hasn't had an epic fight yet,and the last real fight was like 6 months ago,so please don't say that arazzello's work with her is better,it's not better,nobody wants a wonder woman title where she never has good fights and seems to be a suporting cast when she is supposed to be the main character.

I agree with this 100%!

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gokuwarrior

@4_color_image: thank you.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkman61288

@gokuwarrior: @4_color_image: What Azz is doing is focousing on character development rather than action which is why a lot critics like the series. And there is still action. WW is about to fight Hermes and the First born is now introduced so she at one point is to going fight him. Azz is writing the series more like a tv series than a comic book which is unique. The only problem is that the issues should be longer and have more pages so he can go a little quicker.

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 4_color_image

@gokuwarrior

Did you read her team-up with Batwoman, other than the last issue of the team-up, where I think she was suffering from an off panel blunt head injury, she was pretty awesome with a great balance of the myth & the superhero!

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 4_color_image

@darkman61288 said:

@gokuwarrior: @4_color_image: What Azz is doing is focousing on character development rather than action which is why a lot critics like the series. And there is still action. WW is about to fight Hermes and the First born is now introduced so she at one point is to going fight him. Azz is writing the series more like a tv series than a comic book which is unique. The only problem is that the issues should be longer and have more pages so he can go a little quicker.

BUT, the action is few & far between as is Diana's panel time in her own book.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gokuwarrior

@darkman61288: arazzello has been working in the wonder woman title for more than a year,so there should be more feats and action,because it's also an important part of someone like wonder woman who is a super powered fighter,there should be a balance between development and action,now the story is getting old,there is more development because they're runing incircles now and there hasn't been an epic fight yet,let's hope that we get the epic fight in the next issue.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gokuwarrior

@4_color_image: the batwoman crossover was good,not epic,but it was good and at least there wasn't that much of bad writing making wonder woman look weak,because she has been a huge victim of bad writing in the past.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Press Oblivion

@darkman61288 said:

The only problem is that the issues should be longer and have more pages so he can go a little quicker.

You've got to be kidding. If I have to sit through another snore fest issue at the current page count, I just might drop the title. This last issue wasn't as bad as the previous one but I feel that this whole thing could have been condensed into 12 issues total minus the first born subplot. I have to admit that I chuckled at the beginning of 17 and was roused at the end but by and large I think the series is lacking.

By the time we get to any conflict with the First born we'll be way past issue 25. I do like Azzarello's modernization of the gods but I really don't care about Diana's ever growing extended family and I find her relationship with Hera distasteful. This is the worst case of decompression that I've ever read in full, focusing on irrelevant characters and dragging out the plot in this fashion is beyond tiresome. I dropped Animal Man and Swampthing for this reason, even though the art on both titles is brilliant, I don't care enough about the characters to hold on till the end of Rot World.

If you reread the 1987 relaunch of Wonder Woman, you'll see that Perez & Wein are actually moving in a similar direction to what Azzarello has done but they broke up the god drama every 6 issues or so to address one of Diana's classic foes. This is a formula that I think the title needed, which had just as rich of a supporting cast but was deeply grounded in what's happening in the DCU as a whole.

I agree with a lot of what the Original Post has to say and I hope that DC will give us a Sensation Comics one day that is more fan service than this current title.

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 4_color_image

@Press Oblivion said:

I agree with a lot of what the Original Post has to say and I hope that DC will give us a Sensation Comics one day that is more fan service than this current title.

Thanks & I would love a revived Sensation Comics!

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Press Oblivion

@4_color_image: At this rate, who knows, but I remain hopeful :)

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 4_color_image

@Press Oblivion: I do not remember where I read this or the source but didn't Azz or Morrison or Didio say a second =w= was in the pipe line?

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Press Oblivion
    jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jphulk26

@darkman61288 said:

I agree that the Zola story is going too long butI like Azz's Wonder Woman.I feel that his tone is keeping WW from being just a female Superman which I think how Johns writes her. Her being Zeus's daughter adds family drama to her series, which sets her apart from Batman and Superman. The ony thing is that Hera as a villian should have been expanded, with Ares being her second in command.

@4_color_image:

I think you know my opinion. Agreed.

@darkman61288:

Hey Darkman hows it going? Just a few things, it seems to me you´re contradicting yourself. The centre of this family drama is the Zola baby story which you say isn´t enjoyable; but this whole run rests entirely on that story, once that story finishes, we can practically say this run of WW will have very little family drama to draw on. So if the Zola story is boring, how is it possible that the rest of the family drama is interesting. Surely, If the zola story is good, the family drama is good; but on the other hand if one is boring so is the other. I don´t get how you can say the biggest part of the current run is now boring, but that the series is still good. That is a contradictory statement. Is it possible you just don´t want to admit to yourself that you´re fed up with Azzerrelo´s crap like the rest of us.

I´d like to add one last thing, I agree completely with 4_color-image. You say her being Zeus´s daughter adds family drama to her series and that sets her apart from Batman and Superman. How? Batman has a family drama, surrounding his parents death, which is frequently explored, Superman has the Kents as his human parents, the reason for his moral perspective, another theme frequently explored in Superman; I´d also like to add WW had a family, The Gods, and the Amazons before Azz´s run and there were always drama´s between them that were very interesting. In fact it´s hard to think of any good superhero story that isn´t in its very essence a family drama. Everything from Kick Ass to Spiderman, from X-Men to The Flash. Azz fans always say this statement, as a self enclosed justification for WW currently being very boring - oh its different cause its a family drama. That is just a meaningless statement, its completely vapid, since nearly every good story in the history of the narrative arts is a family story, this is not an invention by Azzerrelo. There for Wonder woman always was and always will be a family drama, no matter what incarnation she uses. I´m not saying you are wrong, but can you please elaborate when you make such statements, because claiming he made it a family drama which seperates her from Batman and Superman is just a nonsensical statement? So please let us know how Azz added her story a family drama that separates her from Superman and Batman? I will say one way Azz has separated Wonder Woman from the DCNU though; he has stripped her of any uniqueness and made her not a Superhero anymore. Yep, I´ll agree with you there, that certainly does separate Azz´s Wonder Woman from the DCnU, she´s the only one who is no longer a Superhero. The only thing is, thats why people buy Wonder Woman comics, because we want a superhero story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.