Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Babs' Review of Wonder Woman #33

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Babs reviews Wonder Woman #33, the finale to Gail Simone's"Rise of the Olympian" story arc. Did you guys read it? What do you think? Do you think that Simone's interpretation of Wonder Woman's character is accurate? Based on the dramatic way that Diana's character changed in this series, do you feel that we will see future writers change her completely? Do you think she will go out and start a family, or do you think that she will have trouble adjusting to her new life?
    Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pheeke

I couldn't find floppy's of it here, I really really hope there will be a trade soon cause i love wonder woman and this seems one of her coolest stories.

thanx for the reviews on this  babs :)
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @Pheeke said:
    " I couldn't find floppy's of it here, I really really hope there will be a trade soon cause i love wonder woman and this seems one of her coolest stories.
    thanx for the reviews on this  babs :)
    "
    You're welcome my dear! Maybe in the next contest I can send you my copy of the issue? :)
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

Donna Troy's dead? again!?!

and....Hypolita's gonna die!?! AGAIN!?! TOO!!!????!!!!
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Gotta luv Wonder Woman. This arc, although it was good, isn't going to rank alongside the bigger arcs currently swirling around the DC Universe. Not to say it wasn't all that and then some. Gail did work son. Its just not the type of arc that's going to bring in new fans (in my opinion). But this could be the starting point in which Wonder Woman finally takes her place alongside the Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern arcs. There's momentum now and all the DCU has to do is capitalize on it. Okay rant over ;)

As far as issue #33 goes, it was great. The development of a new character, Achilles (yes that Achilles) is something that's been missing from Wonder Woman comics since.........pretty much ever. Although he's not really one of her Rogues in this arc, events have  been set in motion in which they could possibly become hated adversaries in the near future. There's so much I wanna say but it would spoil the issue. Babs mentioned how a certain scene reminder her of the Wonder Woman animated movie and in some ways I felt the same about a different scene which takes place towards the end. It reminded me of one of the first JLA episodes that involved Felix Faust (no he's not in this issue). If you wanna read a comic with that, "us against them last stand" type of vibe then this is your issue. If you wanna read what I believe to be the beginning of a new era for not only Wonder Woman, but the Amazons and Olympians as well, this is the arc.

(P.S. Babs, it wasn't Poseidon who unleashed those sea creatures it was his son. Euphemus :D)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @E.I.S.A.M. said:
    " Donna Troy's dead? again!?!

and....Hypolita's gonna die!?! AGAIN!?! TOO!!!????!!!!
    "
    No, and no lol
    Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Tradog

good review i'll check it out cute reviewer too.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geraldthesloth

I forgot Wonder Woman had a series...:X

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

@Tradog said:
    " good review i'll check it out cute reviewer too. "
    lololol
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By No_Name_
    @Gambler said:
    (P.S. Babs, it wasn't Poseidon who unleashed those sea creatures it was his son. Euphemus :D) "
    Har har! But they belnged to Poseidon! Did I say that he was the one to unleash them? ;)

@geraldthesloth said:
    " I forgot Wonder Woman had a series...:X "
    She does! And it's great! Gail Simone's interpretation of the character is fantastic, actually. I think she truly knows and captures Wonder Woman's character and the way she feels...which is great! I really recommend this series :)

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Calvin

Wow...Superman off-planet, Batman dead and now this with Wonder Woman... DC is making History. Change is nice, and it's good to break some traditions.

squidboy3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By squidboy3000

It would be awesome if wonder woman had children, but stuck with the justice league!  She'd be too proud to take maternity leave.  A pregnant superhero how PC is that! 

Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pheeke
    @Babs: That would be great!;) I'm not really sure what you mean with "next contest" thow. 
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Calvin
    @squidboy3000 said:
    " It would be awesome if wonder woman had children, but stuck with the justice league!  She'd be too proud to take maternity leave.  A pregnant superhero how PC is that!  "
    A pregnant superheroine would be cool. As long Nemisis is not the father! Boy I really wouldn't like that.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No_Name_
    @Pheeke said:
    " @Babs: That would be great!;) I'm not really sure what you mean with "next contest" thow.  "
    We have contests all the time! I'll let you know about the next one. :)

@Calvin said:
    " @squidboy3000 said:
    " It would be awesome if wonder woman had children, but stuck with the justice league!  She'd be too proud to take maternity leave.  A pregnant superhero how PC is that!  "
    A pregnant superheroine would be cool. As long Nemisis is not the father! Boy I really wouldn't like that. "
    *Spoiler* There is a panel where she is talking about all the important things that Genocide tried to take from her. One of them being her "future" written beneath his picture. I thought that was pretty interesting.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Babs said:
    " @Gambler said:
    (P.S. Babs, it wasn't Poseidon who unleashed those sea creatures it was his son. Euphemus :D) "
    Har har! But they belnged to Poseidon! Did I say that he was the one to unleash them? ;) "
    Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. But I could have sworn Ares said they belonged to Euphemus.
    Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pheeke
    @Babs: ok thanx :)
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Calvin
    @Babs: Did you ever seen the Simpson's episode where Grampa says: "if a stranger offers you a ride, I'd say take it."? - That's more or less how I feel about him.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Yeah I'm not feeling Nemesis either. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Hopefully the DCU has a better suitor lined up for WW.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vortex13

Damn it this looks really good and I'm going to be broke spending all my money on comics.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_Name_
    @Calvin said:
    " @Babs: Did you ever seen the Simpson's episode where Grampa says: "if a stranger offers you a ride, I'd say take it."? - That's more or less how I feel about him. "
    I did not, hence why I don't understand! Tell me more :)
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By No_Name_
    @Gambler said:
    " Yeah I'm not feeling Nemesis either. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Hopefully the DCU has a better suitor lined up for WW. "
    I'm just finally glad that they resolved the issue of her sexuality...which wasn't really ever an issue to begin with but whatever.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By EdwardWindsor

not even a wonderwomen fan but who can say no to babs lol

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By No_Name_
    @lazystudent said:
    " not even a wonderwomen fan but who can say no to babs lol "
    LOLOL I can think of a few select people...
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Calvin
    @Babs said:
    " @Calvin said:
    " @Babs: Did you ever seen the Simpson's episode where Grampa says: "if a stranger offers you a ride, I'd say take it."? - That's more or less how I feel about him. "
    I did not, hence why I don't understand! Tell me more :) "
    In Homer's first day of school his father told him: "Son, you're as stupid as a mule and twice as ugly. So if a stranger offers you a ride, I'd say take it."

I know people will not agree that he's ugly and stupid, but I think you get my point. I wouldn't mind if he was simply vanish - just like Peter's marriage or whatever.

Usually I'm not a hater, I just don't like him as the supporting character position he occupies, there's no astonishing and insightful reason I don't like him, I just don't feel he belongs with her or in her comics. Or in any comic I read. (Damn again with the hate!)
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By EdwardWindsor

babs @Babs said:

" @lazystudent said:
    " not even a wonderwomen fan but who can say no to babs lol "
    LOLOL I can think of a few select people... "

lol really well i find that hard to belive
    Avatar image for top_flight_security
    Top Flight Security

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@lazystudent:

Just say no? Oh well, I tried, I'm gonna pick  it up anyway. . . . (darn you Babs! lol)

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By DMC

From what I read it seems that Achilles is taking Wonder Woman's place and she has been banished from Themiscyra, but I could be wrong. I gotta read it again.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @DMC said:
    " From what I read it seems that Achilles is taking Wonder Woman's place and she has been banished from Themiscyra, but I could be wrong. I gotta read it again. "
    She sorta banished herself. Which would make it more of a self imposed exile. But your right.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29  Edited By DMC
    @Gambler said:
    " @DMC said:
    " From what I read it seems that Achilles is taking Wonder Woman's place and she has been banished from Themiscyra, but I could be wrong. I gotta read it again. "
    She sorta banished herself. Which would make it more of a self imposed exile. But your right. "
    Ok now i get it (I just read it again) Achilies is actually taking Hippolyita's place ruling over the Amazons and Olympians and Diana wants not part of this so yeah it's self imposed exile. I say it's a good thing regarding the situation. It's better for the Amazons to have Diana on the outside than in the eneimies clutches.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Grendel

Funny how video reviews of comic books show how I've been mispronouncing character's and writer/artist's names wrong for years. I've always pronounced Wonder Woman's mother's name as "Hippo-Lita".

deadkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deadkid

nice review ,babs

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By logan48227

Great review (as usual), Babs.

I do like Wonder Woman's ties to Greek mythology, but lessening them would serve to make her more closely tied to the DCU as a whole. If Gail Simone is staying on the book, it can only turn out well.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hawkingbird
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Media_Master

Great review!!!

Avatar image for mysteriousblack
    MysteriousBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MysteriousBlack

Neat review =) Who did the art for this Issue of WW, cause he did an awesome job. For a moment I thought it was Dodson, but he's on X-Men...

P.S. Why do you keep smiling when you say Hippolyta's name or anything relating to Hippolyta..?

Sepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sepp

Nice review.  I love Simone's characterization, and there have been some cool moments on this run: Polly's guard hacking her way out of a megaladon (they get a lot of abuse), gorilla entourage, taking her lasso back from Genocide.  But the stories haven't seemed to flow well from hook to hook and scene to scene.  This issue's finale blew me away though.  Great ending, and a natural character progression.  I can't wait to see where Simone goes next.

And the art is beautiful - it really captures the emotion and physicality of the characters.

passionfruits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By passionfruits
    @Vortex13 said:
    " Damn it this looks really good and I'm going to be broke spending all my money on comics. "
    I know what you mean! It is a great problem that I love!
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By No_Name_
    @Hawkingbird said:
    " JTLYK, Gail Simone liked your review! "
    Wowsers! :D

@MysteriousBlack said:
    " Neat review =) Who did the art for this Issue of WW, cause he did an awesome job. For a moment I thought it was Dodson, but he's on X-Men...P.S. Why do you keep smiling when you say Hippolyta's name or anything relating to Hippolyta..? "
    I'm just a happy person! Haha, I don't know, perhaps I just messed up on her name? :)

@Sepp said:
    " Nice review.  I love Simone's characterization, and there have been some cool moments on this run: Polly's guard hacking her way out of a megaladon (they get a lot of abuse), gorilla entourage, taking her lasso back from Genocide.  But the stories haven't seemed to flow well from hook to hook and scene to scene.  This issue's finale blew me away though.  Great ending, and a natural character progression.  I can't wait to see where Simone goes next.And the art is beautiful - it really captures the emotion and physicality of the characters. "
    I really felt the exact same way about this character. I think that after reading her run, she managed to really depict Wonder Woman accurately. I feel like she's a character that doesn't get the recognition she deserves, and after Gail's love and labor over her most recent series, I only hope that more people will acknowledge her as the awesome character that she is. :)

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dondasch

Is there word on who DC has lined up to "replace" Gail as writer of Wonder Woman?  It will frankly be an impossible task, anyone you would like to see take over?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By No_Name_
    @Sepp said:
    " Nice review.  I love Simone's characterization, and there have been some cool moments on this run: Polly's guard hacking her way out of a megaladon (they get a lot of abuse), gorilla entourage, taking her lasso back from Genocide.  But the stories haven't seemed to flow well from hook to hook and scene to scene.  This issue's finale blew me away though.  Great ending, and a natural character progression.  I can't wait to see where Simone goes next.And the art is beautiful - it really captures the emotion and physicality of the characters. "
    I too found that Gail's love and labor that went into this series needs to really be better recognized by comic readers. Her interpretation of Wonder Woman as a character is truly one of the best I have seen.

@Hawkingbird said:
    " JTLYK, Gail Simone liked your review! "
    WOWSERS! :DDD

@MysteriousBlack said:
    " Neat review =) Who did the art for this Issue of WW, cause he did an awesome job. For a moment I thought it was Dodson, but he's on X-Men...P.S. Why do you keep smiling when you say Hippolyta's name or anything relating to Hippolyta..? "

I smiled when I say Hippolyta!? I had no idea. Maybe I had trouble pronouncing her name or something silly like that  lol!

Avatar image for mysteriousblack
    MysteriousBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MysteriousBlack

@Babs said:

@MysteriousBlack said:
    I smiled when I say Hippolyta!? I had no idea. Maybe I had trouble pronouncing her name or something silly like that  lol!"

lol, I thought it was cause you thought she was cool (cause you said Wonder Woman had a cool Mom).

Johan S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Johan S

I've only read The Circle and Ends of Earth. I've got them  in trade paperback. So far it looks very promising, but Gail has a long way to go to be compared with the great genius of George Perez. I love the old mysticism and mythology, Babs! How could you ever want that to disappear? Unlike Batman and Superman and many other iconic heroes Diana is defined by mystery, her own quest for who she really is. Mystery is the main element behind her story. If you take that away, you take away her quest, her odyssey, for her true self, and it would - to me at least - not be Wonder Woman anymore.

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jamiracles

Totally need to get into more Wonder Woman. My first stories of her were from Gail Simone and they were great. Need to check out more.

I dont think I want anyone playing Wonder Woman other than Lucy Lawless...I know i'm corny :P

ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArachKnight

A little disappointed that Ares went down with one puch -and there is alot of questions that are raised after this issue. But after reading the issue again -and again- and yet again- I think it is a  5 star issue. Gail Simone is for sure one of my favorite writers. Wonder Woman is definetly one of my favorites.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.