Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Azzarello's Wonder Woman, its a bit late, but...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

...finally I get it. :-)

After reading some more of his comics and doing my own research on Amazonian and Greek Mythology, I think I am a fan of this comic, a bit late in the day I know.

@lvenger@darknightspideyfanboy@dshipp17@r2datu ...You guys have all been big fans of this series, so I am sure you will be pleased to hear a fellow WW fan has come off the fence..

I think maybe Azz's WW is one of those that takes a bit of getting into, it isn't fizzy or frothy like some other books, but there's a lot of clever writing there...oh well, just a few more issues now I guess till we get a new writer so better make the most of it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Welcome to the club :)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I always dug it but I dropped off a while ago. Went back and picked up all the back issues when I got my taxes in earlier this year. Great book.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dshipp17  Online

Great to hear; so, did you begin with the Marston run and work your way up to Azzarello's run? Or, at least work your way through a substantial portion of the Wonder Woman publication history, starting with the Marston run?

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do you think that you can pin point what it was exactly that made you get it?

While I like a lot of things about this book, Lennox, the modernization of the gods, new abilities, my biggest problem is the pace of the over all story.

I found the first 12 issues to be fine and interesting but the whole thing with Zola and the baby just became too long and drawn out. That along with the greater disassociation from the DC universe as a whole and having to find glimpses of other characters like Cheetah, Giganta, and Circe in other titles is frustrating.

I find that Wonder Woman was often marginalized for the development of other characters and subplots.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: well good to hear you started liking it but may i ask what exactly do you like about it?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman  Online

Is it WW as a whole or Azz's WW that you now get? Either way different type props to you for coming around.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the big changes kinda left a bad taste in my mouth so I might be a little bias in my dislike of his run. My main issue is the changing of the origin but I'd agree with @super-wonder's points as well with the pacing and loss of her normal rouges. I also think Diana's personality has come out a bit too flat under his writing. I'll admit he had done a few cleaver things but after reading a few of his interviews I'd have to say I don't think he's as good of a writer as he thinks he is. The one thing I do like is that he brought back Diana's berserker mode.

It's nice that you've found something you like in the new comic though. I'm gonna wait for the next writer though, and whenever DC gives up on this 52 thing and does another reboot.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder@darknightspideyfanboy

I think it was reading about the Amazons and how they fit into the greek mythology thing and then greek mythology characters too, made me understand just who entwined WW is with the whole greek legend stuff and also appreciate how Azzarrello has woven all these greek legend characters into the story and also where WW fits in. Also appreciate the art so much more now and how well imagined the characters are, bearing in mind they are "modern day" depictions of characters from legend. Also having read through the last few issues again, I appreciate how he is slowly building up the story to finish with FB v WW and her army.

So I guess its a bit of both, understanding WW character better and also the Azzarrello take on her.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@bezza: Yes... you are one of us now. One of us...one of us :P

What made you come round to the title if you don't mind my asking? It is one of those stories that does grow on you over time and I'm guessing that's what happened here.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Well as I said to the other guys, a gradual process having read up on the whole Amazon/Greek mythology thing and then appreciating the characterisation of those greek legends, coupled with the art and the fact that he is weaving a slowly burning but interesting story...!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Ah that definitely makes sense, a greater awareness of what Azzarello is trying to achieve in telling this story.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The closer association to Greek Myth is good. There are a lot of good things about the series but in my estimation there are too many throw away issues. The Perez formula of Greek Myth story arch and then Super-Villain episodes peppered in for a couple of issue would have worked out better for everyone enjoying Wonder Woman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: No offense but that would have been way too boring and unoriginal if Azzarello had copied what Perez had done. What we got instead is one of the best interpretations of the character after Perez's because it's so different and unique. Not a carbon copy of Perez' run. It was unique for its time and Azzarello's Wonder Woman is unique for the current period as well with its inventive world building. Who cares if some whiny and impetuous fanboys/girls don't like it, their set in stone tastes are totally contradictory to the nature of quality writing Azzarello has brought to the table.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Outside_85

@super-wonder: The problem with that is that Perez wrote dozens of short stories during his run, while Azzarello is telling one huge story divided up into chapters. The first year of Azzarello's run was the beginning, where we got to know the main players. The second year introduced the actual villain while support characters came and went. This last year will wrap up the story of Zola and her kid and how they deal with the threat of the First Born. The way the story is told, is less like Perez and more like Johns (seemingly) wrote Green Lantern.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..its not perfect, but it stands out to my mind as a maturely written comic for more mature readers...it took me a while to get it, but the recent comics have really hooked me !

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

What we got instead is one of the best interpretations of the character after Perez's because it's so different and unique. Not a carbon copy of Perez' run.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I do like a lot of what's been done, and I'm not suggesting a "carbon copy" of Perez' run, I'm saying that Azzarello had an opportunity to work within elements Wonder Woman's canon that could have worked well within what he was doing. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see something like that, at least once, in 3 years.

He took the time to introduce Orion, why is it so offensive to think that he could have done that with any of the other characters within her realm?

@lvenger said:

Who cares if some whiny and impetuous fanboys/girls don't like it, their set in stone tastes are totally contradictory to the nature of quality writing Azzarello has brought to the table.

I'm sorry, did you just call me a whiny, impetuous fanboy? What ever you think someone's tastes are, you are entitled to feel how you will about what ever you like without having to sling mud at me or anyone else who finds fault with this title.

I want to subscribe to this series as Bezza has and as so many of you have but these are the elements that are keeping me from wholly embracing Azz/Chaing run. As I have mentioned before, there are plenty of things to admire in this telling, (this latest issue was a lot of fun) I just can't get on board with everything.

@super-wonder: The problem with that is that Perez wrote dozens of short stories during his run, while Azzarello is telling one huge story divided up into chapters. The first year of Azzarello's run was the beginning, where we got to know the main players. The second year introduced the actual villain while support characters came and went. This last year will wrap up the story of Zola and her kid and how they deal with the threat of the First Born. The way the story is told, is less like Perez and more like Johns (seemingly) wrote Green Lantern.

What Perez did was not a problem. I used his story telling style as an example of the formula that I would have liked to see with the relative theme being Wonder Woman. What Perez did is more indicative of Superhero story telling as a genre. I've never read Johns Green Lantern so I can't speak to your point, but I'll trust you on that one.

I see the annual arcs just as you have described them and I don't have a problem with that. My issue is that I don't see a reason for there not having been some inclusion of more familiar Wonder Woman characters or villains especially at slow points. I know that there are those of you that feel this would have diluted Azz's ambition for the whole but it is something that I would have liked to have experienced in this title. Just my opinion.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: No no no, I wasn't referring to you in the slightest with the whiny impetuous fanboys comment. It was a general remark about the Wonder Woman boards and the bad eggs there. Your comments are actually reasonable even in criticism of Azzarello's run. Apologies if it sounded like I was referring to you as a fanboy, I wasn't saying that at all.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: interesting ty for sharing

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bezza

@darknightspideyfanboy:

You're welcome

@lvenger

I would imagine you are referring to the rather large number of really negative posters the Wonder Woman site seems to attract, rather than our friend superwonder who seems one of the more thoughtful and considered WW fans on here!

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Super-Wonder

@lvenger said:

@super-wonder: No no no, I wasn't referring to you in the slightest with the whiny impetuous fanboys comment. It was a general remark about the Wonder Woman boards and the bad eggs there. Your comments are actually reasonable even in criticism of Azzarello's run. Apologies if it sounded like I was referring to you as a fanboy, I wasn't saying that at all.

My apologies for misinterpreting your statement. I always find you posts to be informative and well argued, I'll be sure to just address the topic and not succumb to such regression.

Again, my apologies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@bezza said:

...finally I get it. :-)

After reading some more of his comics and doing my own research on Amazonian and Greek Mythology, I think I am a fan of this comic, a bit late in the day I know.

@lvenger@darknightspideyfanboy@dshipp17@r2datu ...You guys have all been big fans of this series, so I am sure you will be pleased to hear a fellow WW fan has come off the fence..

I think maybe Azz's WW is one of those that takes a bit of getting into, it isn't fizzy or frothy like some other books, but there's a lot of clever writing there...oh well, just a few more issues now I guess till we get a new writer so better make the most of it.

Thank you for not give up on her only tittle and get your facts straight. I hate when people dislike and complain when Wonder Woman goes to myths storyline. Sure isnt 100% correct adaptation but it pretty close to the original myths. Wonder Woman is Demi Goddess Amazon Princess Warrior and daughter of Zeus. but still very human and good female role model. My only problem is due to long but good arc, Wonder Woman doesnt fight her old villiains anymore, her enemies are either Greek Myths Characters like Gods/Godesses and creatures or the Cheetah (the others didnt appear yet, or become neutral characters or target other characters).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Perez did was not a problem. I used his story telling style as an example of the formula that I would have liked to see with the relative theme being Wonder Woman. What Perez did is more indicative of Superhero story telling as a genre. I've never read Johns Green Lantern so I can't speak to your point, but I'll trust you on that one.

I see the annual arcs just as you have described them and I don't have a problem with that. My issue is that I don't see a reason for there not having been some inclusion of more familiar Wonder Woman characters or villains especially at slow points. I know that there are those of you that feel this would have diluted Azz's ambition for the whole but it is something that I would have liked to have experienced in this title. Just my opinion.

I meant that Perez' style is a problem if you'd try to cram Azzarello's story into it.

To the other bit, I am just curious; what is the point of featuring characters who have nothing to do with the actual story? Like, an issue or two of Diana dealing with Cheetah eating people or robbing a bank would just derail the actual story, wouldn't it?

Plus there is that bit about the slow issues of WW are the ones thats used to build character. Take JL:War as an example, it's a battle nearly from start to finish and at the end we barely have anything but a superficial and flawed idea of who the characters are.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I meant that Perez' style is a problem if you'd try to cram Azzarello's story into it.

I understand.

To the other bit, I am just curious; what is the point of featuring characters who have nothing to do with the actual story? Like, an issue or two of Diana dealing with Cheetah eating people or robbing a bank would just derail the actual story, wouldn't it?

Characters don't have anything to do with the story if you don't put them in. Orion could have had just as much nothing to do with the story as any other character in the DC universe but Azz chose to include him in. Azz could have opted to make an original character to serve the same function.
    For me, including a common thread from Diana's previous incarnations helps to satisfy long time fans who dig that sort of thing and it definitively places her among her pears in a cohesive universe. Azz is a cleaver writer and I think that he would have been able to make side story work while still threading his subplots to an epic conclusion that wouldn't have felt like a derailment but a natural occurrence in the life of a superhero.
    It's my belief that there is a creative solution to every problem in entertainment and Azz chose to dismiss every other element in Wonder Woman's previous collective universe, except for that one quip about naming the baby Steve.

Plus there is that bit about the slow issues of WW are the ones thats used to build character. Take JL:War as an example, it's a battle nearly from start to finish and at the end we barely have anything but a superficial and flawed idea of who the characters are.

On your points about JL: War, I completely agree.
    Those slower issues were used to build characters, often, other than Diana. I feel that time and again, she is the least interesting character in her own book and was marginalized while entire issues meandered to the point.
    Let's take the First Born for instance. He's defeated, captured by Apollo, cannibalized and tortured, then miraculously chokes out Apollo to his explosive demise. It took them multitudes of issues to get to that point without explaining why it took so long to get there. Was First born lying in wait as a purposeful plan to get to Olympus? Was he healing biding his time to be strong enough to challenge the establishment? First Born seems like a rash character, to allow all of that stuff to happen to him when it plainly looked like he could have taken Apollo at any time made all of that build up moot. I do have some reading comprehension issues so it's likely that I could have missed something there and other plot points along the way, but by and large it's things like this that are running throughout the series that keep me from folding in with those that feel that this is a masterpiece.
    An entire issue was dedicated to the introduction of Siracca but she isn't a major player in this at all. This might have been a good point to place something Circe-like (who wouldn't have been outside the realm of Azz's ambitions) and then at the end of an issue or two, drop "the baby has been stolen" and continue the thread.
    As I've mentioned before, I don't think that it's unfair or unreasonable to have seen something like this at least once in 3 years. Perhaps if she had multiple titles, like the boys do, where someone could get into her villains and outside relationships like Wonder Girl, I would be more accepting of this series.
    Man I do ramble on . . .
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lvenger

@vitalius: Exactly, that's the main appeal of the series encapsulated right there.

@bezza Indeed, those were the people I was referring to in my comment.

@super-wonder: No no you were in the right to call me out on it and I should have been clearer in who I was calling a fanboy

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius:

Cheers! Also agree, would be nice to see some of the old classic villains again!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.