Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Athena's daughter?

• 65 results
    WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope I am glad Wonder Woman is NOT Athena's daughter.

The way it is now Athena's sister is way way way better.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Bezza

..I preferred the original WW origin, but am not sure I'd want her being Athena's daughter.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By WDW

And not for nothing. The circumstances of wonder womans birth is NOT an origin. How she became known as wonder woman is.

the circumstances of her birth only explains why she has powers. So it makes the most sense that her father it the most powerful of the olympians.... if going the wonder woman has a parents route

wonderfan409

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By wonderfan409

@wdw said:

Nope I am glad Wonder Woman is NOT Athena's daughter.

The way it is now Athena's sister is way way way better.

athene's sister!?!? who are u talken about___??????????and yes athene being wonder woman's mother wouldn't settle with me cos she a virgin goddess and i kind of like her that way

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Interesting concept which would preserve both WW's clay origin and Athena's virginity. Not bad.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By WDW

@wonderfan409: Athena is zeus daughter. .... so is Wonder Woman. That makes them sisters. half sisters

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By WDW

@powerherc: why do you think they should preserve the clay birth

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@wdw: I'm not saying they should preserve it, I'm just saying this idea would preserve it. The clay birth is a unique origin and a unique origin is rarer and rared in comics these days.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WDW

@powerherc:

OH ok got you.... anyway I just see it differently from most I guess… Being born from clay is not really her origin (how she became Wonder Woman)

Its everything that happened after it that I find important since throughout most of Wonder Woman’s history the clay birth is never referred to in a meaningful way at all.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman's history begins long time before she effectively becomes WW and includes Hippolyta's/Amazons' origin (Man's World, Herc invades, etc), the gift given to the queen by the gods (a special baby with a destiny of greatness) as a reward for her faith (faith sustained the gods after they were forgotten by man's world). WW was born special because Hippolyta earned a special daughter.... the gratest amazon.

This is the foundation of her myth, to me. As a Zeus' daughter she is special beacuso of DNA, just as every demigod, no more uniqueness. Only a generic Hercules, Percy Jackson, Perseus, ecc ecc ecc.....

And Hippolyta? Who is she now to the myth? Her only merit is being sexy enought to draw the attention of a powerful sex partner. Like every other woman in amyth involving Zeus. How original and special...

I am not against changes, but I am against disrespectful changes. The Kents are not drug dealers, Alfred is not Batman's real father, WW was born from clay an blessed by the gods. Period.

I firmly believe so, but... hey.... every brain works in his own way...

(This was meant to be passionate, not disrespectful.)

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: Thanks I couldn't have said that better myself. What's your opinion on my daughter of Athena alternative. I still think it's the best option if you have to make Diana the child of a god. I think it still respects Hippolyta since she is deemed the most worthy to raise the child of Athena. To me the only question is does it respect Athena enough. With making her cook up such an elaborate coverup and taking away her virginal status.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria - I think Athena or Hera would work. I´d rather Hera though. Because then there´s the relationship with Hera, Ares and Zeus that is interesting and you can play off.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I think that Athena would surely be a better choice than Zeus. She is known for her support to heroes of myth and I can see her "orchestrating" the birth of a great hero, one who could represent Olympus in the beginning of a new era of myth.

Athena's contribute to Diana's genesis would not be just DNA-and-goodbye.

But only if you have to make Diana the child of a god...

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jphulk26

@hawk80 and @wdw You´re both right. I don´t think WW being actually transformed from Clay is as central to her myth as Batman Parents being killed in front of him as a child or Superman adopting the best of Americana values from the Kents. However WDW where Hawk80 is absolutely right is that her being daughter of Zeus does violate her myth.

I honestly believe Marston in his original was using the "clay" origin as a metaphor to say, WW was a product of a Goddess (his version/Aphrodite) and The Queen Of The Amazons. Making Aphrodite in his case equivelent of Jor´el or her spiritual parent and the Amazons (Hippolyta) equivalent to the Kents. Obviously back then the connotation may have been too explicit and mature because if Aphrodite had have just granted her a child through pregnancy, it could have been seen in terms of a Lesbian Immaculate conception. So instead he just made the clay story. Clearly with his relationship with his wife and their lover I think he drew some inspiration from that as having WW essentially have two mothers and her powers and morality drawn through that, as opposed to most other Male Superheroes, who have two males as spiritual and actual parent. Bruce Wayne has Alfred who takes the role of father figure, then the memories of Thomas Wayne as his spiritual and moral guide. His mother is rarely even mentioned. Where as Superman has the Kents as his connection with humanity and Jor´el as his spiritual guide from the heavens. Martha at least has a bit more of a role in the superman mythos, but by and large Jonathan and Jor´ el take the lead. This to me is why Wonder Woman was so original and why Zeus as father and Ares as mentor is such a betrayal of her mythology. She was the first and only female who really flipped that part of the heroes journey on its head. By having the struggle in her moral compass coming from Hippolyta or one of the Goddesses. I think either Hera, Athena or Aphrodite will do. Personally for me I think Hera is by far the best choice, because one of her roles as Queen Of Olympus is Goddess Of Child Birth. Which means she can mystically grant Hippolyta a child while Athena and Aphrodite, give her blessings.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@jphulk26:@hawk80: I think both of you just summed up the importance of the clay origin and the issues with the Zeus one better then I ever could have. Thanks for that.

@jphulk26: I did consider Hera and a few other Goddesses for my version of the clay coverup twist. I never really liked the way Hera was depicted in mythology so turning the tables on her and Zeus might be pretty interesting to see. I want to make Athena's wisdom more central to Diana's character and powers so I thought she'd be the better person to be the mother. I think Hera and Aphrodite should be involved in the coverup and blessings though since they are the two gods I don't think Athena could hide it from. Also Hera would probably be instrumental in actually pulling off the coverup in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.