Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Are the Amazons humans, now?

• 57 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Aside from being immortal/incredibly long lived are they humans now?

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think so for the most part but Aleka was able to spar with Diana. Even the immortality part is in question because of the sex raids. Do the daughters born on Themyscira automatically become immortal too, or is there some kind of process? If so why are there old women on the island?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always assumed they were since they get their baby gravy from mortal men. Aleka swung her sword into a tree once and that didn't chop it off so judging from that panel, they've got no super-strength.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85

Best you decide for yourself, can a normal human do this?:

No Caption Provided

One Amazon, with one oversized tenderizer.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@scorpio_cassadine:

They refer to themselves as immortals and to everyone else on earth as mortals in Azzarello's run so I assume they are immortal because they live until they are killed but won't die naturally. This is just my assumption, though.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No they arent. In the recent issue one of the old Amazons was complaining about Diana and she said something like "She will make us weak. she will makE us human'

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This occurs in a non-WW book, written by someone who isn't Azzarello or had any input from him it seems. In fact, it seems that other writers are more interested in adding to the mythos of the Amazons, while they're mostly an afterthought to Azzarello.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@agent_z: Azzarello isn't even writing Wonder Woman........

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: Azzarello isn't even writing Wonder Woman........

The scan was from before the Finches took over WW.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Outside_85

@agent_z said:

@outside_85 said:

No Caption Provided

This occurs in a non-WW book, written by someone who isn't Azzarello or had any input from him it seems. In fact, it seems that other writers are more interested in adding to the mythos of the Amazons, while they're mostly an afterthought to Azzarello.

Which does nothing to say the Amazons are not superhumanly strong, actually it is the opposite since Aleka could still fight Diana as an equal (as seen in issue #2), we could see Diana at an age of 8 or ten nearly get beat up by Aleka and less than a year later be seen carrying around a piece of log bigger than herself (#0). Both instances were written by Azzarello.

So what do you have to say that they are not?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

No they arent. In the recent issue one of the old Amazons was complaining about Diana and she said something like "She will make us weak. she will makE us human'

Yeah I remember that line, but I want to see some feats. Perez showed how strong the Amazons were in his very first issue. Three years into the New 52 and we've got bupkiss. Exoritos doesn't count, she was in Man's World and from a different time period. Amazon blood may have become watered down after all the mixing with human dna over the centuries. I still want to know why there are old women on the island?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

Yeah I remember that line, but I want to see some feats. Perez showed how strong the Amazons were in his very first issue. Three years into the New 52 and we've got bupkiss. Exoritos doesn't count, she was in Man's World and from a different time period. Amazon blood may have become watered down after all the mixing with human dna over the centuries. I still want to know why there are old women on the island?

Yes and the original Amazons may all have contracted typhoid and were wiped out so the Olympians had to animate some frogs to replace them.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@agent_z said:

@outside_85 said:

No Caption Provided

Which does nothing to say the Amazons are not superhumanly strong, actually it is the opposite since Aleka could still fight Diana as an equal (as seen in issue #2), we could see Diana at an age of 8 or ten nearly get beat up by Aleka and less than a year later be seen carrying around a piece of log bigger than herself (#0). Both instances were written by Azzarello.

1) Azzarello doesn't own Wonder Woman, so no writer has to live up to him

2) Azzarello downplays the Amazons (including Diana) power-level.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@klaus said:

Yes and the original Amazons may all have contracted typhoid and were wiped out so the Olympians had to animate some frogs to replace them.

Frogs have a better reputation than snakes. They have Kermit as their spokesperson, or spkesfrog as it were.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85 said:

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@klaus said:

Frogs have a better reputation than snakes. They have Kermit as their spokesperson, or spkesfrog as it were.

Glory to them, represented by a sock puppet that has a man's hand up its backside. :)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CSG_CL

@klaus said:

well, there is AN old woman on the Island ... I find it odd that she is the only one in fact. As Diana has stated a couple of times now, the Amazons are failing so perhaps they are also starting to lose their immortality on the island. We know that they age when they leave ... Hessia tells us as much in SM/WW ... even though she is clearly more than human even off the island since she can spar with Diana even without her armor on

No Caption Provided

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@outside_85 said:

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@klaus said:

Glory to them, represented by a sock puppet that has a man's hand up its backside. :)

His girlfriend looks better than yours. :)

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Klaus

@scorpio_cassadine: During the invasion of Themyscira in Wonder Woman #34 and 35, an average Amazon was seen piercing the thick armor of a tank with a spear. No matter how sharp the spear was, it would require superhuman strength to apply enough pressure to pierce a tank.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@scorpio_cassadine: During the invasion of Themyscira in Wonder Woman #34 and 35, an average Amazon was seen piercing the thick armor of a tank with a spear. No matter how sharp the spear was, it would require superhuman strength to apply enough pressure to pierce a tank.

Or Super Weapons forged by Hephaestus.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@klaus said:

Or Super Weapons forged by Hephaestus.

A super weapon is only as potent as the hand that wields it, not even WW could use the atom splitting super-sword to split an atom without SM's vision. And that's making the assumption that EVERY weapon on PI was forged by Hephaestus ... that's a massive stretch when the most obvious answer is the Amazons have some degree of superhuman ability.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Agent_Z

@csg_cl: Honestly, what we know about the Amazons in this new continuity is so vague that I'm not sure if we can get a fully concrete answer. They barely appeared in Azz's run and by the end the most we knew about them is how much they hate men. Also Diana only needed Clark's help to see the atoms. She could wield the sword just fine on her own.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FoamBorn

@csg_cl said:

A super weapon is only as potent as the hand that wields it, not even WW could use the atom splitting super-sword to split an atom without SM's vision. And that's making the assumption that EVERY weapon on PI was forged by Hephaestus ... that's a massive stretch when the most obvious answer is the Amazons have some degree of superhuman ability.

Considering that I recently saw Batman get back up without a scratch after Wonder Woman slammed his unprotected face on the pavement, stabbing a tank with a magical spear that was forged by a God doesn't seem so implausible. There's a saga about a viking woman named Harvor that did incredible things with the magical sword that she retrieved from her father's grave. I've also seen Batman one-shot a handful of superpowered Amazons, the same ones that sparred with Supergirl.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@outside_85 said:

No Caption Provided

This could be explained by Diana holding back. Remember a spar is not the same thing as a real fight.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

Considering that I recently saw Batman get back up without a scratch after Wonder Woman slammed his unprotected face on the pavement, stabbing a tank with a magical spear that was forged by the God doesn't seem so implausible. There's a saga about a viking woman named Harvor that did incredible things with the magical sword that she retrieved from her father's grace. I've also seen Batman one-shot a handful of superpowered Amazons, the same ones that sparred with Supergirl.

We have multiple examples of superhuman feats from pretty much every writer of N52 WW/Amazons ... some PIS that Batman would survive even a glancing blow from Diana without protection proves only that there are fanboys out there writing comics. As for magic weapons, it makes no sense that every weapon wielded by an Amazon was god-forged. Hephaestus traded the manazons for weapons, but it's not like there are thousands of them floating around ... and given the examples of his work we've seen I just don't see it ... if all of their weapons were indeed magic there is no way FB's army would have stood a chance.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

We have multiple examples of superhuman feats from pretty much every writer of N52 WW/Amazons ... some PIS that Batman would survive even a glancing blow from Diana without protection proves only that there are fanboys out there writing comics. As for magic weapons, it makes no sense that every weapon wielded by an Amazon was god-forged. Hephaestus traded the manazons for weapons, but it's not like there are thousands of them floating around ... and given the examples of his work we've seen I just don't see it ... if all of their weapons were indeed magic there is no way FB's army would have stood a chance.

It's not inconceivable, those weapons don't get shabby and they've traded babies for weapons for who knows how long, they probably have a sizable collection of them. And even if those weapons cut through diamond, they still have to land a blow on the enemy with it which wouldn't be necessarily deadlier than with a normal blade.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CSG_CL

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

It's not inconceivable, those weapons don't get shabby and they've traded babies for weapons for who knows how long, they probably have a sizable collection of them. And even if those weapons cut through diamond, they still have to land a blow on the enemy with it which wouldn't be necessarily deadlier than with a normal blade.

Do the math ... 3 times per century they go out ... they've been around for roughly 3000 years so they've had at MOST 90 baby raids (and that's assuming they have been rape-pirating AND trading the boys since the inception of their society) ... it's really not that many weapons to trade for ... how many manazons did the Lasso cost? The Bracers? The spear appears to be one of the staple Amazon weapons and there is no evidence that every weapon wielded by an Amazon was Hephaestus made. Then there is the fact that ALL of the god-forged weapons we see are commented about in some fashion so it seems even more wildly unlikely that a random spear used by an equally random Amazon foot soldier would have been the work of Hephaestus.

You are correct, it's not inconceivable, but it is a very big stretch to believe.

EDIT: and we're talking about some of the best trained warriors in the history of war, so I'm pretty sure "landing a blow" wouldn't be an issue for even the least of the Amazons

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I'm sorry I meant ask what series

Demon Knights.

His girlfriend looks better than yours. :)

Is this you standing up for her because you know she is going to beat you up if you dont? Or is it just you trying to justify that you are dating a pig?

@agent_z said:

This could be explained by Diana holding back. Remember a spar is not the same thing as a real fight.

And Diana punched over half a dozen trees before she landed the same kind of punch to Aleka's head, which didn't explode, fall off or even result in broken bones.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: Honestly, what we know about the Amazons in this new continuity is so vague that I'm not sure if we can get a fully concrete answer. They barely appeared in Azz's run and by the end the most we knew about them is how much they hate men. Also Diana only needed Clark's help to see the atoms. She could wield the sword just fine on her own.

Fact remains that Diana could not have split an atom without Clark. What we did see in Azz's run points heavily toward some degree of superhuman ability. Breaking apart tanks with spears (even if the spears were magical and unbreakable they are still merely a tool and require strength from the wielder to work). Being willing to fight a god to protect their queen is also an indication that they are more than human. Being able to fight with a being such as WW, even for a few moments points to super human ability as well. There is more evidence pointing toward super human than human.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Fact remains that Diana could not have split an atom without Clark.

Well, she could spilt atoms just by moving the sword around, what Clark supposedly added was they they split the right one. I personally don't get why he was needed since the core of a nuke isn't made of gas or liquid, so stabbing it with an object that sharp should start the process nearly regardless where they made the stab.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Whatever evidence we have is pretty flimsy. As outside85 said she merely needed Clark to see the atoms and the sword took care of the rest. Considering the Hephaestus' weapons are god-forged and would likely do damage no matter who was using them. Them attacking Hera is just an instance of them trying (and failing pitifully) to protect their queen. Aleka was pretty damn terrified of Hera when the latter threatened to turn the former into a snake again. Note we haven't seen the Amazons win a fight over Diana or an Olympian and that's quite obviously because in those encounters death was not what they were aiming for.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just look at the Amazons fighting the birds that used to belong to Ares. They are clearly more than Human. Amazon are sacred to Hera for a reason.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FoamBorn

@csg_cl said:

Do the math ... 3 times per century they go out ... they've been around for roughly 3000 years so they've had at MOST 90 baby raids (and that's assuming they have been rape-pirating AND trading the boys since the inception of their society) ... it's really not that many weapons to trade for ... how many manazons did the Lasso cost? The Bracers? The spear appears to be one of the staple Amazon weapons and there is no evidence that every weapon wielded by an Amazon was Hephaestus made. Then there is the fact that ALL of the god-forged weapons we see are commented about in some fashion so it seems even more wildly unlikely that a random spear used by an equally random Amazon foot soldier would have been the work of Hephaestus.

You are correct, it's not inconceivable, but it is a very big stretch to believe.

EDIT: and we're talking about some of the best trained warriors in the history of war, so I'm pretty sure "landing a blow" wouldn't be an issue for even the least of the Amazons

No Caption Provided

They receive 2 wagonloads per baby crop, multiply that by 90. Even 10 of those cargos would probably supply them with at least 1 weapon each so it's not that big of a stretch, it's actually a quite plausible hypothesis. Not all those weapons are as special and unique as the lasso of truth and Wonder Woman's bracelets that were given to the Queen, but special nonetheless. And regardless of how strong one is, you can't put a hole in a tank with a spear made of ordinary steel. I don't know, the Amazons may have superhuman strength but where would they get it from? Hephaestus told Wonder Woman the Gods are so selfish, they can't be arsed to help the Amazons give birth exclusively to female babies, let alone impart them strength

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CSG_CL

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

No Caption Provided

They receive 2 wagonloads per baby crop, multiply that by 90. Even 10 of those cargos would probably supply them with at least 1 weapon each so it's not that big of a stretch, it's actually a quite plausible hypothesis. Not all those weapons are as special and unique as the lasso of truth and Wonder Woman's bracelets that were given to the Queen, but special nonetheless. And regardless of how strong one is, you can't put a hole in a tank with a spear made of ordinary steel. I don't know, the Amazons may have superhuman strength but where would they get it from? Hephaestus told Wonder Woman the Gods are so selfish, they can't be arsed to help the Amazons give birth exclusively to female babies, let alone impart them strength

They are obviously not human ... they've stated as much themselves (see earlier comments in this thread) ... where they got if from is immaterial to the fact that it's obviously there ... you can't punch a hole in a tank with a magic spear with normal human strength either.

And we don't know that they got two wagon loads every time ... nor what those wagons contained ... either way I doubt they have thousands of magic spears laying around.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

No Caption Provided

I thought it was each third century?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Well, she could spilt atoms just by moving the sword around, what Clark supposedly added was they they split the right one. I personally don't get why he was needed since the core of a nuke isn't made of gas or liquid, so stabbing it with an object that sharp should start the process nearly regardless where they made the stab.

yet she said she couldn't do it without him ... the whole scene is meant to close the loop on the conversation they had earlier about being better together.

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: Whatever evidence we have is pretty flimsy. As outside85 said she merely needed Clark to see the atoms and the sword took care of the rest. Considering the Hephaestus' weapons are god-forged and would likely do damage no matter who was using them. Them attacking Hera is just an instance of them trying (and failing pitifully) to protect their queen. Aleka was pretty damn terrified of Hera when the latter threatened to turn the former into a snake again. Note we haven't seen the Amazons win a fight over Diana or an Olympian and that's quite obviously because in those encounters death was not what they were aiming for.

I'm not saying an Amazon is superhuman enough to take on an Olympian. But It's fairly obvious that that are significantly tougher than a standard human.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@outside_85 said:
    @csg_cl said:

yet she said she couldn't do it without him ... the whole scene is meant to close the loop on the conversation they had earlier about being better together.

Which is just a rather lame attempt at justifying why they are sharing the book and the situation.

Diana doesn't need Superman to set off that chain reaction with that sword any more than he needed her to deal with Zod and Faora, a pair he's fought a dozen times in the past while they brought Nod/Non along with them.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@outside_85 said:
    @csg_cl said:

Which is just a rather lame attempt at justifying why they are sharing the book and the situation.

Diana doesn't need Superman to set off that chain reaction with that sword any more than he needed her to deal with Zod and Faora, a pair he's fought a dozen times in the past while they brought Nod/Non along with them.

Yet it is what it is ... She flat out stated she couldn't do it without his help and he clearly needed her to help with Zod and Faora ... is it PIS ... probably, but there's a lot worse than this happening all over the place. Realistically should Batman be able to stand any chance in a fight with either WW or SM? Of course not, his human eyes and the associated reactions wouldn't even register that either WW or SM had moved before he was dead from a thump in the head. We all accept that in comics there is a level of PIS at all times.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

No, they go thrice a century, every 33 years or so.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Yet it is what it is ... She flat out stated she couldn't do it without his help and he clearly needed her to help with Zod and Faora ... is it PIS ... probably, but there's a lot worse than this happening all over the place. Realistically should Batman be able to stand any chance in a fight with either WW or SM? Of course not, his human eyes and the associated reactions wouldn't even register that either WW or SM had moved before he was dead from a thump in the head. We all accept that in comics there is a level of PIS at all times.

Ok, how to set off a nuke is not rocket science if you have the raw materials, you just have to smack two pieces together and let it get out of control on it's own. So if she's saying she can't do it, then to me that translates to: "I'm scared to do this."

PIS in small degrees is fine, it's why we still believe Superman can shakes hands with anyone without maiming them. PIS put in place just to get some silly tender moment? No...

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:
    @sealife said:

No, they go thrice a century, every 33 years or so.

Ok then. Don't know were I got that from.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Ok, how to set off a nuke is not rocket science if you have the raw materials, you just have to smack two pieces together and let it get out of control on it's own. So if she's saying she can't do it, then to me that translates to: "I'm scared to do this."

PIS in small degrees is fine, it's why we still believe Superman can shakes hands with anyone without maiming them. PIS put in place just to get some silly tender moment? No...

LOL ... fair enough :) I think Soule tried way too hard to force some of this stuff into the book during his run. Sometimes it worked really well and other it fell flat.

wonderfan409

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

i can do this...........................and no the amazons are not human they immortal hence the reason why some amazons are like over a thousand years old and im pretty sure if the amazon were human aleka would have never been able to fight diana

Avatar image for wonderfulpeople
    wonderfulpeople

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are not ! An amazon had once stab or cut a tank with spear in ww #33

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SodamYat
    No Caption Provided

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Demon Knights doesn't count. I bet not even Azzarello knows whether or not the Amazons are human.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.