Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Are people misogynistic against Wonder Woman?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are men that has this mentality that women should be in the kitchen and having household jobs. It could known as the degrading of women and could also be called sexism. I notice this could probably tie in to strong feelings about Wonder Woman. This doesn't apply to only her but other heroines as well. People feel like she is useless because she's a female. I honestly believe she would be treated better as a male character which makes me kind of sad.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inevitably yes. Not everyone is, but the comic book community is not exactly known for having clientele that view girls--even superheroines--as anything more than sex objects or damsels needing saving.

I think that rhetoric is getting better, but misogyny will still be there for a long time.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While there is inevitable discrimination towards her character but the situation is not as bad as you make it sound ! Sure there are some trolls and stupid people out there ! But a lot of people consider her as a powerhouse or a female superman which is not a compliment but not an insult either I have never heard someone call her useless ! Without Wonder Woman Justice League is incomplete and everyone knows it !
    A part of the discrimination also comes from people who don't know about the character and just rely on the animated versions of wonder woman or the flashpoint version (where she is portrayed in the worst way possible) or think of her as a feminazi which is unlike the character.

So if they were to see the true wonder woman and proper portrayal of wonder woman in live action and animated series, she will certainly gain more popularity and respect.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

yeah definitely

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with @moi245. Every character has haters. But by and large, I think most people see Wonder Woman as an iconic character and a huge part of the DC universe. If anything, so-called feminists are the ones who seem to have the biggest problem with her.

But I'm not going to get into that again.

Attitude_Era

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePeaceweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate her because she's a woman, I hate her because she's written so badly. Flaunting the fact that she's a killer. Always being used as an antagonist to make Bats and Supes fight. She's supposed to be about love and unity and most of her writers don't get that. They just want to write a self insert oppressed woman given power and throwing that power around. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of the character. Wonderwoman has never been oppressed.

I really doubt she'd be treated better as a male character, because then she wouldn't be able to get away with being a killer. Everyone would see her as a villian if she was male. Also she'd be a bargain basement Superman.

I honestly don't think anyone thinks she's useless because she's a woman.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wonder Woman needs to get back to scrubbing Superman's kitchen floor...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.