Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Any of you interested in Bombshell Diana?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.newsarama.com/25336-dc-bombshells-creator-creates-world-where-women-were-heroes-of-world-war-ii.html#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

No Caption Provided

The upcoming Bombshell book will focus on the ladies of the DCU. The women heroes are taking charge in this world. Any of you interested in this book? Does this sound like a book you'd want to read? Or would you only grab the WW stories?

I'll pick it up for a bit and see what I think ... largely for the WW stories, but it could be fun regardless

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

@csg_cl: Do you do digital or only physical? I think the first physical copy story will be her and Mera teaming up to save Steve Trevor IIRC

Avatar image for sohohibachiexpress123
    Sohohibachiexpress123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ww2? Don't remind me, since ppl seem hellbent on tying WW to that era.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I'm not enjoying the main run of Wonder Woman, and nowadays I'm liking the Wonder Woman offshoots better (Convergence, Sensation Comics, etc) I'm giving Bombshell a shot. Plus it has Mera, which is only a plus.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I'm almost 100% digital these days ... I travel a lot for work so digital has been a life saver!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sohohibachiexpress123: well, it IS her origin era and what made her so popular ... Why shouldn't there be a link? The first 5 years of her creation she almost exclusively fought Nazis and the Imperial Japanese. Marston was a U.S. nationalist as well as a feminist.

Avatar image for sohohibachiexpress123
    Sohohibachiexpress123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: so should superman constantly be tied to the Great Depression? Should batman pull out some guns and start popping caps in some b1+ch3$? Maybe Supes and cap should invite people to slap a jap or two? Can't turn down that offer!

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

It's one of the few digital first series I'm excited about but I'll always rather get the physical copy. Guess I'm waiting till august.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the few digital first series I'm excited about but I'll always rather get the physical copy. Guess I'm waiting till august.

To each their own, but I think DC's digital series are all good. THe DC TV stuff tends to even be better than their shows. And of course there is the highly praised Injustice.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sohohibachiexpress123: you think he's not still tied to it? Smallville has always been a metaphor for SMs roots in the depression era. Batman's code of no killing no guns stems directly from his origin. There is nothing wrong with honoring the past ... The Captain America film took place in WWII because that's his origin. Why shouldn't WW's past be seen?

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Hate to play devil's advocate here, and while I understand your point that Marston wrote her in WWII context and most of what she has been written for was for a WWII age mindset, nothing about her origin story says that she HAS to be introduced in WWII. She finds out about Man's World through a downed pilot. Well, planes are still running today. Planes still crash land today. Steve Trevor can just as easily be an Air Force agent in 2015 as he could be in 1940. She fought Nazis. So did every superhero at that time period but very few of her arch rivals with the exception of Paula von Gunther are WWII oriented and her main ones (Ares, Cheetah, Dr. Psycho) can be done and have been done in any contextual age.

Compare that to Captain America, where most of his villains are Nazi or Nazi oriented, Wonder Woman has some leeway on her origin setting.

I think this groaning over WWII setting for any Wonder Woman media in this day and age stems from fatigue over WWII movies (I swear there's like at least one WWII movie released a year), and that it seems that setting dates her character a little too much that it could distance audiences rather than attract.

So, again while, yeah the WWII setting would make sense to pay homage to the date she was created, it's not necessary and may hinder her prevalence especially in mainstream media.

That said, Bombshells was supposed to be created for a more vintage feel. So in this case I think WWII works.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alsummers: I'm not trying to argue that she MUST be set in WWII only that it's not some crazy stretch for her since it's her origin. They could easily do what they did with Iron Man and move her introduction to a modern conflict. I just don't see the point since Diana is an immortal.

I'd disagree with you in her villains though. She just has a whole lot more than Cap because she didn't go dormant for 30 years between her WWII publishing and the 1960s like he did.

I like period pieces so seeing her movie take place (at least in part) during WWII could be interesting and give her some depth that general movie audiences can relate too because they know that part of the character for the Lynda Carter series. I could see a good film taking place mostly in modern times, but with flash back to WWII era as part of her origin.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@gustavoburciaga1 said:

To each their own, but I think DC's digital series are all good. THe DC TV stuff tends to even be better than their shows. And of course there is the highly praised Injustice.

Oh, I'm not saying they're bad. I think a lot of them are amazing. I'd just rather have a physical copy of the comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.