Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

A transgender amazon?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How would you fans feel about this? Could it be a change the culture of the amazons? How would it play out in the Wonder Woman book?

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Rpgesus

That would suck and I bet the Amazonians would not approve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

How about Poison from Street Fighter? :D

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ She definitely looks transgendered.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

it wouldn't really change anything and I mean its much more believable than most of the stories of themyscira. I can imagine a few avenues that could be used.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jphulk26

I think this is pretty close:

Seriously Gadot is pretty, but who took this picture. She doesn´t look like a drag queen, but she does look like she´s doing her best impression. Accept most DQ are sexier. It´s the high heels that really piss me off.

No Caption Provided
    Jhaigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jhaigo

@jphulk26: I really don't see it. Also I think her heels look pretty good. To each their own I guess.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh if it were to be put in a WW book clearly WW would fight for the Trans' rights. You know, equality thingy. :)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we first have a conversation about the difference between Transgender and "Drag Queens"? They are not the same thing. A Drag Queen is a performer and a "gender illusionist" who typically makes a living in showbusiness ... a Transgendered individual lives as an opposite sex person all of the time, often pursuing means to transition from M2F or F2M. They are not often BOTH Transgendered AND a Drag Queen.

I think the Amazon's might actually love and embrace a male Amazon returning to the island as a female, or one that has the gods transform them into a female. In a non-traditional way this embraces the Amazon philosophy of being your best self pretty directly. Sure the current Amazons are not inviting, but even with them this might give them something to think about as technically this individual would now be an Amazon female.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jphulk26

@csg_cl said:

Can we first have a conversation about the difference between Transgender and "Drag Queens"? They are not the same thing. A Drag Queen is a performer and a "gender illusionist" who typically makes a living in showbusiness ... a Transgendered individual lives as an opposite sex person all of the time, often pursuing means to transition from M2F or F2M. They are not often BOTH Transgendered AND a Drag Queen.

I think the Amazon's might actually love and embrace a male Amazon returning to the island as a female, or one that has the gods transform them into a female. In a non-traditional way this embraces the Amazon philosophy of being your best self pretty directly. Sure the current Amazons are not inviting, but even with them this might give them something to think about as technically this individual would now be an Amazon female.

I´m aware. I meant drag queen. i.e. someone who dresses up in a show biz capacity, but they are also often conected with being transgender.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Poison is awesome.:D

Personally.I like to see it played down the middle.Some Amazons being embracing and others rejecting her.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Sounds like an interesting concept for a character. Of course you would need a writer who can handle these issues properly and respectfully. I doubt we're gonna see one anytime soon, though, there just isn't enough money to be made with a character like that at this point.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angela has a transgender friend named Sera and like the Amazons, in Heven the females are the dominant sex. However instead of culling out the males, they lock them up in temples where they commit to a life of prayer. I don't know how Sera became a woman given that Heven a.k.a the 10th dimension was cut off from the Tree of Life but if you're interested in transgender characters, I recommend Angela.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@brunnhilde: Does Gillen do a better job with transgender characters than with homosexual and bisexual characters?

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be worked in somewhere. This has nothing to do with Wonder Woman, but one of the big things I'd like to do it recont Mia Dreden as a trans woman in the Green Arrow comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
    deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

While I like the idea, the Amazons might be portrayed as too traditional and keen to follow their rules and ideologies for this to work smoothly. One way I can think of this could work would be introducing Hermaphroditus. This should work well with the mythological themes and a whole WW story built on the idea of exoploring one's sexual identity would be fun.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Does Gillen do a better job with transgender characters than with homosexual and bisexual characters?

He hasn't really delved into Sera's story yet. She's actually dead right now, she's a slave in Hel since Freyja's damned the Angels to an afterlife of perpetual suffering as retaliation for abducting Angela. Technically she hasn't even entered the story yet, the one that helped Angela turned out to be Malekith disguised as her. I'm pretty sure Angela will negotiate her release with Hela so we'll see soon how he handles Sera.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras said:
    @csg_cl said:

While I like the idea, the Amazons might be portrayed as too traditional and keen to follow their rules and ideologies for this to work smoothly. One way I can think of this could work would be introducing Hermaphroditus. This should work well with the mythological themes and a whole WW story built on the idea of exoploring one's sexual identity would be fun.

See I think they'd love it because of their traditional portrayal ... it can be seen as the ultimate victory of women over men if a male transitions to a female. It's a wrong-headed view for certain, but it fits right in with them.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I dont know if it needs to be made into a spectacle or anything i think they should just include trans amazons. I think this leads to a larger convo though about how the amazons look at gender or how they should look at it because i dont think anyone has portrayed the amazons all that well

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Namasthetu

Part of WW's character is that she represents an ancient society with a single inverted factor. She comes to the outside world and is changed by it as much as she herself changes it. In that way the introduction of a trans-amazon or even just a trans character being introduced as a point to address some of the same backwards thinking in Amazon culture would be perfectly acceptable. It could be an excellent platform to discuss the fear that women have of men using trans status to invade their space. Is the safety of a gender-only space really an illusions? Or is it merely a single factor that (used) to be easily controlled and is now just an inch some do not want to give?

Many possibilities if handled properly. Could also be a pile of garbage if made into a feel-good marshmallow of a story.

EDIT: One of my favorite trans/gender bending stories is the episode of House where the teenage supermodel gets ill because they find out she's actually a hermaphrodite that is more male than female. At the end the "girl" is unable to cope with being genetically more a boy. She would obviously at that point be happier going on living as a girl. The over sexualization of her makes you wonder what really is the best way to handle it. But perhaps I like it just because it leaves you with more questions than answers, and most people want to know for certain what everything they see is classified as, including people.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I doubt the Amazons would accept a man who considers him/herself a woman, possibly because the practise is unknown to them and through that they'd think he was somekind of infiltrator.

Also I think he would get mocked a bit since the Amazons don't exactly fit into the traditional role women have been cast into out here. And by that I mean; I suspect there being quite a lot of Amazons who are almost male in behaviour.

So with that, an Amazon-born going male, I could see that. Just without surgery.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt the Amazons would accept a man who considers him/herself a woman, possibly because the practise is unknown to them and through that they'd think he was somekind of infiltrator.

Also I think he would get mocked a bit since the Amazons don't exactly fit into the traditional role women have been cast into out here. And by that I mean; I suspect there being quite a lot of Amazons who are almost male in behaviour.

So with that, an Amazon-born going male, I could see that. Just without surgery.

I don't know ... with all the "gifts from the gods" stuff it wouldn't be hard to imagine Hera or Athena (or even Strife) transforming this hypothetical trans-male into a female I could even imagine some of the Amazons helping convince a god to do it. Assuming they put their spears down long enough to talk to her :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it do happens, I want the transgender to look like Poison.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: every rose has its thorn, every night has its dawn, just like every cowboy has his sad sad song ...

Yup this is gonna be in my head all night

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jphulk26 said:

It´s the high heels that really piss me off.

Why are people so mad about the heels? I admit, the heels seem a bit too big. But her current costume has a small heel on it.. and post crisis she was drawn with heels on her boots as well at times.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: You know I was also thinking Wonder Woman could have a gay male bestfriend that can throw friendly insults at her.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How would you fans feel about this? Could it be a change the culture of the amazons? How would it play out in the Wonder Woman book?

I don't think amazons would even approve of this. It would be an insult. at the very least they would keep them as pets or something. If anyone has seen Django unchained, there is one character who is clearly a slave but hates the other blacks, he is a house slave, and pretty much adores Caucasians. They treat him "well" but it's in the form that you would treat your fave pet... That or the amazons would just kill them for their mockery

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.