9 Months in & I Miss the Wonder.

#1 Edited by 4_color_image (218 posts) - - Show Bio

I was & still loving the current take on Wonder Woman; though, I am seriously missing the Wonder in the book. Diana seems to be a mere bystander in her own title simply watching her new dysfunctional family quibble back & forth. She has shown very little feats of Wonder in her own title & to see her as a real superhero I have to rely on the Justice League title. On top of that, to see her REAL supporting cast I have to turn to the Justice League title as well. Thank God Steve has become such an important part of the team & it is great to see the 'New' Etta as his assistant, a nice play on their former incarnations' relationship. However, I find it offensive that Azerrello appears to have wiped out several of Diana's past supporting cast members & replaced them with generic version of the same characters. I find it offensive that I have to turn to other titles to see Diana (& other Amazons) performing feats of Wonder. I find it offensive that Cassie has (so far) been removed from the Wonder Family (& Diana has been given her origin). I find it offensive that to find any reminisce of other past Wonder Woman characters I have to turn to other DCnU titles to see cloned versions;

- Rama in Capt. Atom

- Circe in Men Of War

- Dr. Psycho in Action Comics

- Grace in Superboy

And finally to add insult to injury, nine months in & still no Donna Troy!?!?!?!

If the book is going to be such a departure to the title DC should seriously consider a second title (Sensation Comics) & feature stories in which Diana is actually being Wonder Woman & facing off against her rogues gallery! Creators complain she has a weak rogues gallery, but hell! A weak rogues gallery is better than no rogues gallery at all. And in reality Diana’s rouges are not weak because they are only as weak or strong as the writer’s imagination.

#2 Posted by Renchamp (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think you can be offended by this. Annoyed, yes. Insulted as a fan, yes. It's not until the writer goes: "You know what? Screw you, 4_color_image! There's even less wonder in the next issue!" that you can be offended. But I do understand your frustration.

#3 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with some of what you're saying here. I like the title a lot but I feel that she is greatly removed from the DC Universe as a whole, though I don't find it to be offensive. The mention of having to go to other books to see her in action is a bit of a disappointment too as she's done almost nothing in the Justice League title.

You hit the nail right on the head with the suggestion of bringing back Sensation comics though! I would love to see that!.

#4 Edited by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@4_color_image: Dr. Psycho has appeared in new 52?

#5 Posted by 4_color_image (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@RyuHayabusa said:

@4_color_image: Dr. Psycho has appeared in new 52?

No, But there is a 'little guy' with a large black head & wiry black hair pulling some strings over in the Superman titles.

Fairchild in Superboy reminds me of Grace.

The four armed blue guy in Capt. Atom reminds me of Rama.

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13134 posts) - - Show Bio

Fairchild isn't a copy of Grace. She existed year before Grace first appeared in Gen 13

#7 Posted by 4_color_image (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Fairchild isn't a copy of Grace. She existed year before Grace first appeared in Gen 13

Idid not say she was a copy of Grace but (in my opinion) she is currently feeling the spot Grace previously had in the DCU...

#8 Posted by cbishop (8203 posts) - - Show Bio

I've gotta say: I'm loving the new Wonder Woman book. I was digging some of the previous runs, but this has got my attention in a big, big way. I was a little perplexed at the "daughter of Zeus" origin she was given, since that had been Cassie's origin, but I've shrugged and accepted it at this point. I can see how you'd be put off by all of the change though. Personally, I think it was needed, but it definitely strikes me as one of the biggest changes in the New 52.

#9 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

i am loving it too...totally gonna get it in hardcover

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13134 posts) - - Show Bio

How does has she taken Graces spot. They literally have nothing in common outside of physical similarities? And Grace isn't even really a wonder woman character she's just an amazon. The majority of of her publication history is bat related.

#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13134 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for my grammar in that last post. It's absolutely horrendous.

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh*

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, so did you guys catch the game last night?

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

9 months in and I'm more of a Wonder Woman fan than I've ever been previously.

#15 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

THIS

#16 Posted by 4_color_image (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

How does has she taken Graces spot. They literally have nothing in common outside of physical similarities? And Grace isn't even really a wonder woman character she's just an amazon. The majority of of her publication history is bat related.

Strong redhead with similar look

#17 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Same here.

#18 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I could almost have understood this a month or two back, but right after issue 9? Issue 9 is hinting strongly at a pretty impressive play Wonder Woman is attempting to pull off against the god of the Underworld. She hasn't even done it yet and I am strongly feeling the wonder. Don't even get me started regarding that cliffhanger at the end.

#19 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree sorta. When I think of Wonder Woman I think of a woman who fights for people and protects people as a whole. More heroic and I think that the current run she is kinda protecting one person and ditching everyone else. While I think the current run is amazing, I still think that Wonder Woman is best when you have a balance of Greek Myth and super-heroics. Few writers have pulled it off and most recently was Gail Simone. However, this is kinda made up for the fact that she is in Justice League. She is really more help people in there. 

#20 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio
@4_color_image said:

- Grace in Superboy

What! I've been reading Superboy and Grace hasn't even been mentioned! I didn't even noticed that you put her on there.... wow... I'm pretty sure it says she was Caitlin Fairchild......

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.