dark_noldor's Wonder Woman #7 - Il Gangster Dell'Amore review

Forging a new Hero

Stories often are written to teach lessons or to pass along generations values, virtues and important facts, or just to amuse people from their common lives. That's the origin of Gods and in the Greek Mithology, since there's a vast pantheon of them teaching about a large amplitude of feelings, from pettiness to rightneouss. Azzarello is really making an impressive run in this Wonder Woman series by (re)introducing Greek Mithology, adapting it's tales and gods to our modern world, also developing an interesting story about revenge, love and family. In this issue he (Brian) capitalizes the notion that you can't judge a book from it's cover. He introduces two interesting Gods in this issue: Eros and Hephaestus and this last one is definitely the more interesting, since he's a "monster" but with a heart of gold, a lesson Diana learned in very humble and difficult way. Again this is a story more important for the message it's been transmited than the development of the plot, something that can be seen with harsh eyes by comic book readers, that are constantly looking for twists and evolution of the narrative. I, for the other hand, often enjoy issues that focus in the character development, wich is clearly the example in this one, since Diana learned a little more about her homeland and also that the situation isn't always like it's presented at first.