MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

I was about to say "Holy battle sequences, Batman!" in reference to this issue, but who needs to bring up the Bat when Wonder Woman is around and rocking it in a most serious way? So, "Holy battle sequences, Wonder Woman!" it is; War's influence on Diana is cemented in a most spectacular way.

First Born is a formidable foe, and it's no accident that he's posed not just as an adversary for Wonder Woman, but also as a diametric opposite (and self-selected heir apparent) for War. At odds with War, he's a force of youth, inexperienced drive, and unrelenting bloodlust; things that the older god has tamed and refined. Against Wonder Woman, he's more of a mirror, albeit one that doesn't completely hold up. Whereas First Born's "family" of monsters is raring to battle at the start, it's Wonder Woman who stands with Hera and Zola at the end (bringing things beautifully full-circle from First Born's opening line).

War himself is phenomenal, and operating in appropriately god-like form despite his noted, visible age. Calling upon his army in a moment that rivals the most epic of cinematic battles (largely thanks to Cliff Chiang's stunning and varied pencils), he emerges as a truly commanding force, living up to his name in every regard. To the very end, he is an exemplary warrior, and it's a real treat to see him battle alongside Wonder Woman and nurture her inner brute.

Solicits being what they are, I was skeptical about the line, If Diana is truly War’s greatest student, then now is the time to prove it! but, my goodness, this issue delivers. The gutting climax (pun intended) is pitch-perfect on so many levels, not the least of which is Diana's instinct that War would endorse her decisive action. This is a story of legacies, and of torch-passing, even if the shifts that we expect at the beginning of the issue aren't quite the ones we leave with.

The Bad

I have little to criticize about this issue; perhaps the only remark to make in this section is that War shines so abundantly that, for a few moments, Wonder Woman feels almost secondary in her own title. Given the circumstances, I'm not even mad about it.

The Verdict

#23 is a positively incredible issue of WONDER WOMAN; if not one of the best issues of all-time, it's certainly a stand-out in an already powerful New 52 run. Azzarello and Chiang have brought their A-game, and there's no turning back. By the numbers, it's a fantastically-executed superhero comic -- action, heroics, character evolution, emotional pull, a gripping climax, an ending that begs for more -- but beyond anything a formula alone can deliver, there's truly masterful storytelling at play.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

War is an awesome character! My only complaint is that Orion was much weaker in this issue than he should of be. He was taken out by a single flip

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Dayum Dat Cover

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Tied for best issue alongside #12.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@ghidoran: I thought issue #21 was the best, just my opinion

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
    batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By batsymyplaything

Wonder Woman POWER UP!!! I didn't know she can do that.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

That cover is the reason your mother told you not to shove Twizzlers up your nose

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

teamvamonos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

teamvamonos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By teamvamonos

i know a certain percentage of people don't enjoy azz's WW, but i have pretty much dug every issue thus far, this one ESPECIALLY

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man, I have been wanting to get into Wonder Woman since the beginning of the series but I am very weary. Sounds great though.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This remains one of my favorite books in the New 52. The consequences set in motion by the end has changed everything about Diana's power ranking in the new continuity. It almost makes the more aggro version of her in Geoff Johns' book make some sort of sense (almost). Looking forward to seeing how Azz expands on Diana's new role and if it ties into her other appearances.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By cobra88king8

Another great issue. It's a shame that Azarello keeps offing characters before fully fleshing them out though

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic issue as always. This book gets better with every installation. The ending has me so intrigued as to what's going to happen now, to both Diana and her powers as well as Apollo with the first born and well.... I hope Azzarello stays on this book for a damn long time, there's just so much going on here.

@thefirstlantern I was in the exact same spot as you, I wound up buying issues 1-19 on a whim, all at once, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. One of the most interesting and consistently entertaining books imo.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Yet to read an issue of WW that i don't enjoy and doesn't intrigue me...this series is just awesome,writing, art,all of it and i look forward to it every month. The way things panned out in this issue though,damn you Azz, you got me cursing that i have to wait two months for issue 24.

Favorite moment is definitely War bringing forth his army,that was just epic!

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Loki2u

Can't wait to read this issue!

Seperate note: Jen you are a welcome addition to comic vine, your reviews are well written and thought provoking. Thank you.

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MissJ
    Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By manwithoutshame

Another great issue of Wonder Woman. DC's been killin' it lately!

mrpandopool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrpandopool

Really that panel with war and his army was legendary, it was just the perfect panel for such a cool character.

Angelo2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War is an awesome character! My only complaint is that Orion was much weaker in this issue than he should of be. He was taken out by a single flip

I thought so too but then I figured they kind of needed him out of the way for Diana and the First Born to fight. He got in some good hits, tough.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was amazing.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brian Azzarello is a GOD!!! This is what needed to happen to Superman in the New 52, a clean fresh take on the character. Instead, all we get are recycled storylines and Scott Lobdell's cr@p! Goddamnit, DC!

Take a risk with Superman! Stop being ladies, drag the character through the mud!

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cobra88king8: War was as fleshed out as it gets, you should read the silverage issue Azzerello wrote with a younger Diana to fully grasp the impact of this book.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilPenguin543

Sounds like another great issue in an already amazing run. Azzerello's is one for the history books.

thveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow what an epic issue. Azzerello is just killing it with WW

Ares94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only complaint is the physical shape of the gods (Hades a kid ? with candels on his face ? WTF ?), but it doesn't stop the story from being good. Hope we will see more of New Genesis, though. Chiang captured very well the visuals of the flying city of gods. Great issue, especially as I started only 1 issue ago ^^.

Sutran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I've wanted to get into this series for a while, I hope issue 24 is a good jumping on point. Already read the first two trades. Love me some Greek mythology and have heard nothing but good things about this run.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a awesome issue!!! Azzarello is really taking WW out of her comfort zone and doing a complete twist in her role.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Bezza

I need to buy this issue, seems at last wondy gets some respect!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@ares94 said:

My only complaint is the physical shape of the gods (Hades a kid ? withcandels on his face ? WTF ?)

There is a reason behind these designs, the earliest given one was Chiang saying Azzarello didn't like the Olympians were almost always dressed in chitons in the modern depictions of them.

Some have argued that part of the reason the Gods look the way they do is a reflection of how they are feeling and that in turn they are affected by how their area's are viewed by humans. Like Ares feels like an miserable old sod because of how the concept of War is perceived nowadays, and that in turn makes him look and feel like an old man.

Hades on the other hand seems to have gotten more vicious over time as his world went from just being underground to being a place of misery, added that he was always a bitter character since he was tricked into ruling the dead when he thought he'd get the living. His appearance might be down to him being childish in his wants and needs (if he doesn't get what he wants, he will act up till he does) and the candle wax is symbolizing his own blindness to that fact (as in; he doesn't see himself acting childish). Also it could be a reimagining of the Helm of Hades (Invisibility, possibly twisting the meaning).

Tradewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know who it is on the background of that cover, but it sure looks like Carnage's spaghetti brother.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MethoKi

That cover is the reason your mother told you not to shove Twizzlers up your nose

LOL.

At least Twizzlers are better up the nose. They're horrible in the mouth x(

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This comic is awesome, picked it up yesterday! First Born is the meanest muther I've seen for a while, slap, bang, bye bye Orion. WW taking off her bracelets again and going toe to toe with First Born, I think that answers any criticisms on Comic Vine that she is really weak these days!

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tec79

This was an incredible issue, now that Morrisons Batman run has concluded this is the book is look forward to the most every month. I can not say enough good things about this run, this is the kind of story telling we should have gotten from the reboot in more titles.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This was my absolute favourite issue of Azzarello's run so far, beating issue 3 in that department. Azzarello's poetic dialogue along with the frantic action sequences, epic character moments that are truly defining and wonderful, graceful art by Chiang has made this my favourite title on my pull list. And your review sums up just what I love about the title Jen! Excellent review!

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait for superman to find out his woman is now the new god of war

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.