No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The Good

I may be biased since I do have an affinity for this series, but I loved this issue. One of the things I have definitely been enjoying is the fact that this series isn't only about Wonder Woman: it is about a group of people who have every reason not to get along but in fact they do. Azzarello has been careful not to be too obvious in depicting this new version of Wonder Woman: instead, he has focused on her attributes as leader and hinted through her actions at her compassionate heart that drives her. While previous issues this compassion had been implied, here it seems to take center stage and is directly mentioned by her adversaries who seem to be planning to use these qualities of her character against her. Only time will tell if they do in fact succeed.

The issue itself is very lovely: beautifully illustrated by Goran Sudzuka and Tony Akins. The pair take over for artist Cliff Chiang and manage to capture the same tone and style that has made this series so aesthetically pleasing, while maintaining their individuality in the process. The result is a very pretty issue that is a pleasure to read for the sheer fact that it is attractive. The artistic team does a fantastic job at bringing one scene in particular to a boil, and it is executed brilliantly. Orion had this coming and it is great to see Diana take matters into her own hands and put him in his place. The result is a scene that is humorous and incredibly entertaining in terms of dialogue, as well as attractive. The panels flow with the story and the artistic team really takes on story-telling duties.

This issue does a great job setting up the next installment of this story and there is the sense that not everything is going to go too smoothly. It really feels like Azzarello is gearing up for a brawl between the First Born and the Amazon and her team, so it will certainly be interesting to witness the story develop. Diana has taken on a lot of responsibility: not only is she leading a team, ensuring the safety of a newborn baby, but she also seems to have heaven and hell against her succeeding. It will be very cool to see her tested in the upcoming issues.

The Bad

Aside from the fact that there were some moments (two) where I felt the story did not flow well in the sense that I think it could have been a bit better organized, I have no real complaints about this issue.

The Verdict

If you thought the gatefold cover was just a way to garner sales, you will be happy to know that what happens on the cover just might happen inside the comic. It's a very entertaining scene that completely catches the reader by surprise but still manages to be very good. The issue itself is great: it feels like a continuation of what we've been reading for the last two years but also feels fresh and new -- the story feels invigorated. It's an accessible read which will be pretty easy for new readers to pick up and begin following along, and I think it is one issue that really does a good job establishing who this version of Wonder Woman is. Gorgeous art and a fantastic story will leave you looking forward to the next issue.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

5 Stars. Loved every page of it.

Hades words talking about WW were very interesting, especially concerning their past.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, this issue was great!!

plus that bit with Orions face, woah

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I feel like a lot of people will criticize the particular scene with Orion, but personally I don't think it was a big deal at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-63417c6af01d0
    deactivated-63417c6af01d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By No_Name_

@ghidoran said:

I feel like a lot of people will criticize the particular scene with Orion, but personally I don't think it was a big deal at all.

He sort of had it coming (maybe?)

Avatar image for greenlanterngasm
    GreenLanternGasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GreenLanternGasm

I loved the scene with Orion. We didn't have to see what she was doing to know exactly what she was doing and that was brilliant. And the fact that this version of WW would use such a tactic is just amazing. I've fallen in love with this version of Diana

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This continues to be one of my favorite books an the shelf. I also appreciate that they sorta revamped the Posideon design a bit. The giant whale never did it for me. While I still dont love it at least now he can have proper conversation with people

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

hmmm There's two villians named Fury in WW and DD.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By gotwillpower

I can't wait until the next issue. Of all the characters in this book, I kind of like the First Born the most, and I hope that he at least lives long enough to beat Apollo.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This series is getting a little Game of Thronesy with the whole battle for Olympus........ And that is a good thing.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: Yep, poseidon words about politics made me think the same thing. And yes, it's a good thing.

Hades just chilling in Poseidon's teeth while talking about the outcome of their plan was masterfully done.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

I was going to drop this book after the previous issue, but #19 is making rethink that.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I absolutely loved this issue. Diana certainly takes matters into her own hands with Orion. My "matters" hurt just thinking about it. I honestly didn't realize what was up with his face from the cover alone. It wasn't until I read it that I realized he was going all Son of Darkseid on us. The art really drives home every scene to create a truly unique experience for the New 52 universe.

If I had one nitpick to make it's the use of "Dio" as a nickname for Dionysus. I can't tell if Azz is referencing the Spanish word Dios meaning God as wordplay for the Greek deity. Also the dude looks like lame as hell. Besides there is only one Dio I recognize in comics. I simply can not wait for the next issue.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By veronicacris

Great issue. good suprise the scene between orion and Diana. Seems like finally it's moving to the climax of the arc. Art was great, Sudzuka should be the only one in the fill ins.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad. I didn't see the reason for her to kiss him to get that close to him though.

Are they trying to make her like Catwoman who is known to do the same?

fanboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fanboiii

My first read I didn't like this so much. But after re-reading, I missed some parts that makes it better. WW's developing more of a voice and it's something other fans have wanted.

It's kind of harsh but I do think Orion had it coming. My impression was that WW kissed him to get close but also to show that she means well. She was kind of forced to act in the only way Orion would understand because he kept being rude. Then he blew it again and got punched.

I really appreciate that they tried to mimic more of Cliff Chiang's style. It looks a lot better. I'm glad they can keep Tony Atkins on this way.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By gotwillpower

@mezmero said:

I absolutely loved this issue. Diana certainly takes matters into her own hands with Orion. My "matters" hurt just thinking about it. I honestly didn't realize what was up with his face from the cover alone. It wasn't until I read it that I realized he was going all Son of Darkseid on us. The art really drives home every scene to create a truly unique experience for the New 52 universe.

If I had one nitpick to make it's the use of "Dio" as a nickname for Dionysus. I can't tell if Azz is referencing the Spanish word Dios meaning God as wordplay for the Greek deity. Also the dude looks like lame as hell. Besides there is only one Dio I recognize in comics. I simply can not wait for the next issue.

Lol, I didn't even realize at that point. I had no idea Orion was the Son of Darkseid until I randomly decided to buy Kingdom Come last week!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deaditegonzo

Ugh < My Review.

1. When did Wonder Woman become the femme fatale type? That just seems out of character. Pretty sure it was just to stir controversy.
    2. It was cool to see Orions face go Darkseid style, as it was known to do from time to time back in the day.
    3. Frankly, im tired of the this arc. I picked this one up to see WW and Orion finally brawl, did not happen. And this feels like an Elseworlds story, it has nothing to do with anything and the isnt a familiar WW at all.
    Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mezmero said:

Lol, I didn't even realize at that point. I had no idea Orion was the Son of Darkseid until I randomly decided to buy Kingdom Come last week!

I only knew about it because of Superman the animated series. :)

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo:

1. She wasn`t being a 'femme fatale', she was just threatening him because he disrespected her. The only reason she kissed him was because that's what he wanted, but then by turning that into a threat, she 'corrupted' his expectations, so to speak.

3. What do you mean it has 'nothing to do with anything'? What exactly is it supposed to do? And of course the characters aren't familiar, did you notice they rebooted the entire universe in 2011?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The kiss seemed like it was only there for the "WTF" cover, but eh, it wasn't bad. There's no reason she shouldn't have kissed him if she wanted to, but I hope it doesn't turn into a will-they-or-won't-they typical slap-slap-kiss romance. Especially with the already existing Steve/Clark triangle she's a part of. If they start setting her up as a love interest for all these different characters, that'll get her into smurfette territory pretty soon. If the most prominent female character DC has is reduced to "the chick", even in her own book, they have a serious problem on their hands.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

#22  Edited By flazam

When Superman Finds out he gonna Rip orion to peices

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghidoran said:

@deaditegonzo:

1. She wasn`t being a 'femme fatale', she was just threatening him because he disrespected her. The only reason she kissed him was because that's what he wanted, but then by turning that into a threat, she 'corrupted' his expectations, so to speak.

3. What do you mean it has 'nothing to do with anything'? What exactly is it supposed to do? And of course the characters aren't familiar, did you notice they rebooted the entire universe in 2011?

1. Thats called being a femme fatale. Its a pretty old concept popularized in film noir. /facepalm.

2. It seems like it takes place in its own universe. Nothing from the main universe has crossed over into it. And WW in this is like an elseworld WW, whereas the JL one is still true to the character. They are literally different people.

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: 1. Not really, since she wasn't trying to seduce him.

2. So what if it seems that way? There's no rule that says it has to cross over with other books. In fact most people are glad that it doesn't.

JL one is 'true to her character'? You realize the JL version is written in the most retarded way possible? When Johns is writing her she acts like a moronic teenager and also has a weird obsession with ice cream. I'll take Azzarello's version any day.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.