Follow

Wonder Man

Character » Wonder Man appears in 1798 issues.

Simon Williams was made into a being of pure ionic energy by Baron Zemo, becoming the impossibly powerful Wonder Man. Meant to aid the Masters of Evil in their campaign against the Avengers, Wonder Man found himself sympathizing with the heroes and joined their team instead. He has remained an Avengers mainstay ever since, despite his constant insecurities and battles with his own mortality.

Mmmm...Change Wonder Mans name?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz
    Wonder Man does not get much face time but when he is around I like his character...

Whenever he is brought up though people dont seem to take his character at all seriously..Is it due to the fact that his name is so similar to DC's Wonder Woman?

What is the reason this character has been so underplayed? 
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DH69

crappy costume/name, best thing he ever did was help create vision, he's a background avenger one not worth paying attention too.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Well its kinda hard to take a character serious when Marvel doesn't do the same. Simon has always been a punching bag or running joke for them.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

I don't think its the name thing. It sort of works not being that strong. If that makes sense? Sort of cheesy name for a character that tends to be cheesy. Sort of like when Johnny Cage tells people they have been Caged! I feel the real reason is that Simon isn't popular enough for Marvel to see pushing the character having any big pay off or benefits, (as opposed to Wolverine or Deadpool, who will be told and suggested for places, cameos, roles in stories and mini series, one shots) nor are their many writers who have a real urgency to write the character (as a first priority, i think PAD might, if he wasn't wrapped up in X-Factor) and so he falls out of the audiences view and thoughts. 

However right now, he has been used pretty well in Children's Crusade. Except for the fact its on a bi-monthly schedule and its an ensemble piece with like about 4 teams participating, and a bunch of other big name characters so, he is getting lost in the shuffle. 

His existence is similar to a lot of other characters really. I think we'll just have to wait for a writer to come along with some aspirations and ideas or he'll just be a supporting character until he is killed off in Dark Siege Reign III: Return Of the Goblins or something, then resurrected and then... 
    Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaTheDestroyer

I feel he needs a name change to something not like another character, something that he can really make his own. Also, I'd like to see Marvel up his abilities a little to be closer to the high tier powerhouses but make him a little more of a ruthless character in his attacks. kind of find a balance between him as a villain and him as a hero.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    It's not about the name. Marvel should take him more seriously.
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

Best thing he ever did.

No Caption Provided
      Was get knocked out.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Wonder Man is a lame character, it's not his name that makes him this but the fact that he's just simply lame. And it's not just in the comics either, in MUA2 if you just see the parts where he pops up, he's lame there too as well as a whinny-butt in Avengers: EMH. What really annoys me is how in Bendis' current Avengers run, he keeps trying to make it out as if Wonder Man was "one of the greatest Avengers" having people like Hawkeye calling Simon "one of the best" and even Thor commenting on him. And yet, while they do, all I see is a super-powered cry baby who decides he knows better than Steve Rogers and that the Avengers are the problem of all of the worlds troubles lately, and thinks the best way to show this opinion is to attack the team like a madman while ironically the team is trying to save the whole of reality from Kang.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By fodigg

Johnny Cage is a good comparison.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Baddamdog

He has been acting like a big baby recently, like in the Avengers and the children's crusade, it's like duuuuuuuuuuuude....get over it

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC

Simon has been acting like a baby for years. It was an interesting idea at first, an invulnerable guy with issues. But he became a one dimensional character much too long ago to be recovered I think. Unless they can do something like they did with Hercules lately but even more so.

QuasarPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By QuasarPrime

Yeah, I heard about the bad way Simon has acted, been drawn and the bad costumes and choices he has made. 

My favorite time for Wonder Man was when he first returned from the dead.  He was drawn well, with a good personality and the classic green costume which I really liked.  He was as powerful as his name implied.  The name 'Wonder Man' is fine.   

However, back in the day and still today, some people will suggest that I mean Wonder WOMAN.  They never heard of Wonder MAN, especially not from Marvel.  They say that is a DC name.  And, also hard for little boys to play Simon as a character because they get teased as wanting to play as Wonder WOMAN. 
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By KainScion

i liked his mini series with beast. they were an awesome combo. they were the "clowns of the avengers". in a good way. they need reignite that avenger spark

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.