Marvel's True Superman

#1 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio

If Wonder Man was done right by the the right writer, you think he could be made into Marvel's Superman?

I do!



#2 Posted by King Saturn (223723 posts) - - Show Bio
Hmmm... I always saw Gladiator closer to Superman level than Wonder Man... but hey  !  Maybe it could work
#3 Edited by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"Hmmm... I always saw Gladiator closer to Superman level than Wonder Man... but hey  !  Maybe it could work
"
But his agenda and personality would not make him the hero in the likes of Superman.

As far as a protector of earth and a premier hero, I think Wonder Man would fit. Instead of bringing in the Sentry, I think Marvel should focus on Wonder Man.
#4 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

he needs more focus

but i couldn't see him being a superman type character

#5 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
geraldthesloth said:
"he needs more focus

but i couldn't see him being a superman type character"
why not?

He has the power (based on a Marvel scale), the personality and the background. He once beat the Avengers s(with Thor) single handed.

A good writers focus is all he needs.
#6 Posted by King Saturn (223723 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
"King Saturn said:
"Hmmm... I always saw Gladiator closer to Superman level than Wonder Man... but hey  !  Maybe it could work
"
But his agenda and personality would not make him the hero in the likes of Superman.

As far as a protector of earth and a premier hero, I think Wonder Man would fit. Instead of bringing in the Sentry, I think Marvel should focus on Wonder Man."
Hmmm...maybe you are right
#7 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
"geraldthesloth said:
"he needs more focus

but i couldn't see him being a superman type character"
why not?

He has the power (based on a Marvel scale), the personality and the background. He once beat the Avengers s(with Thor) single handed.

A good writers focus is all he needs."
I guess your right

you convinced me :p

#8 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

He's way cooler than Sentry. - And more of a boy scout as well :P

#9 Posted by The Morningstar (159 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him being Marvel's version of Superman... at least way better then Sentry ever could be.

#10 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
The Morningstar said:
"I could see him being Marvel's version of Superman... at least way better then Sentry ever could be."
Anything is
#11 Posted by The Morningstar (159 posts) - - Show Bio
geraldthesloth said:
Anything is"
Good point
#12 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
Calvin said:
"He's way cooler than Sentry. - And more of a boy scout as well :P
"

Exactly!
#13 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

He coud be. Along with a better writer to make readers take him more seriously, he would need a better costume.

He has the power (maybe tweak it a little to make him even stronger and faster). And he is a nice guy

#14 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you guys think Carol would be his "Lois Lane"?

#15 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio

Once he beats Sentry and/or Hyperion in a one on one battle I am convinced.

#16 Edited by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
Risky said:
"Once he beats Sentry and/or Hyperion in a one on one battle I am convinced."

Is that to show power enough to hold the tiltle?
Because it's more about personality than power.
And Hyperion is outside the normal 616 Marvel U.
And Sentry doesn't have the strength of character
#17 Posted by The Wondering Spider (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually would accept him as Marvel's Superman.. Better than Britney.. Aka: Sentry..

Hell he should kill Sentry..

#18 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
"Risky said:
"Once he beats Sentry and/or Hyperion in a one on one battle I am convinced."

Is that to show power enough to hold the tiltle?
Because it's more about personality than power.
And Hyperion is outside the normal 616 Marvel U.
And Sentry doesn't have the strength of character"
Power is just an important part of that title. Superman defines himself in being the strongest in morals and body. He is DC's biggest powerhouse and so Marvel's superman should be the biggest in power too (at least of the non-cosmic characters).
#19 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
Risky said:
"Alpha said:
"Risky said:
"Once he beats Sentry and/or Hyperion in a one on one battle I am convinced."

Is that to show power enough to hold the tiltle?
Because it's more about personality than power.
And Hyperion is outside the normal 616 Marvel U.
And Sentry doesn't have the strength of character"
Power is just an important part of that title. Superman defines himself in being the strongest in morals and body. He is DC's biggest powerhouse and so Marvel's superman should be the biggest in power too (at least of the non-cosmic characters)."

He could be made into that with the right writer.
Remember, he once defeated an entire Avengers teams (including Thor) by himself.
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91065 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's Superman is Gladiator.

Moderator
#21 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Marvel's Superman is Gladiator."

Doesn't have the character. It's more than just power.
#22 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the thread describes this as Marvel's true Superman, that means Hyperion is permittable as a choice.
In that case I would say that the traditional Squadron Supreme Hyperion is the most like Superman in the style of his powers and personality.

If we want to limit it to say just 616 continuity then you may be right with selecting Wonderman.

#23 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Marvel's Superman is Gladiator."
He's too interesting to be Superman. 

I'll second Creator on classic Hyperion being Marvel's Superman.  He's the most direct clone, so it makes sense.
#24 Edited by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
the creator said:
"Since the thread describes this as Marvel's true Superman, that means Hyperion is permittable as a choice.
In that case I would say that the traditional Squadron Supreme Hyperion is the most like Superman in the style of his powers and personality.

If we want to limit it to say just 616 continuity then you may be right with selecting Wonderman."
Yeah I'm going with 616. My point is to say that when you look at personality, power and agenda, Wonder Man is a better choice for Marvel to develope into a Superman like character rather than Sentry. Of course there are Superman based characters in Marvel already (Gladiator and Hyperion) but they don't have that "Boy-Scout" persona that Wonder Man shares with Superman. All he needs is the a good writer to develope him into a first class hero and not just the second tier character he has been. Kinda like what they are doing with Ms Marvel. They would be the Superman and Wonder Woman of Marvel with the New Cap as Batman.


#25 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
Yeah I'm going with 616. My point is to say that when you look at personality, power and agenda, Wonder Man is a better choice for Marvel to develope into a Superman like character rather than Sentry. Of course there are Superman based characters in Marvel already (Gladiator and Hyperion) but they don't have that "Boy-Scout" persona that Wonder Man shares with Superman. All he needs is the a good writer to develope him into a first class hero and not just the second tier character he has been. Kinda like what they are doing with Ms Marvel. They would be the Superman and Wonder Woman of Marvel with the New Cap as Batman.


"
Nice posting.
#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91065 posts) - - Show Bio
Alexander Anderson said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Marvel's Superman is Gladiator."
He's too interesting to be Superman. 
He's actually extremely lame.
Moderator
#27 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
"the creator said:
"Since the thread describes this as Marvel's true Superman, that means Hyperion is permittable as a choice.
In that case I would say that the traditional Squadron Supreme Hyperion is the most like Superman in the style of his powers and personality.

If we want to limit it to say just 616 continuity then you may be right with selecting Wonderman."
Yeah I'm going with 616. My point is to say that when you look at personality, power and agenda, Wonder Man is a better choice for Marvel to develope into a Superman like character rather than Sentry. Of course there are Superman based characters in Marvel already (Gladiator and Hyperion) but they don't have that "Boy-Scout" persona that Wonder Man shares with Superman. All he needs is the a good writer to develope him into a first class hero and not just the second tier character he has been. Kinda like what they are doing with Ms Marvel. They would be the Superman and Wonder Woman of Marvel with the New Cap as Batman.


"

Marvel Trinity?

Spider-man is always put apart in this stuff.
#28 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

why do marvel need a superman? all there main chatacters are better! maybe DC needs a spiderman!

#29 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
scuzz2.0 said:
"why do marvel need a superman? all there main chatacters are better! maybe DC needs a spiderman!"
I think they need a powerful earth bound character that has morale character like Cap. I true hero in the sense with the power to back it up.  
#30 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Man is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Sentry and looks cooler.

#31 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wonder Man more than Sentry but I don't think Simon could be Marvel's Superman. Simon has always been a little to hesitant and a bit of a complainer. He'd usually go with the group more than inspire them, I just can't see him becoming a leader.

#32 Posted by Mar-Vell, Cosmic Badass (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Man is a really cool character butaparently no writter whants to touch him

#33 Posted by sevennames27 (1583 posts) - - Show Bio

  • Strength: Wonder Man excess the 100 ton range, his strength is now comparable to Thor's.
  • Invulnerability: Wonder Man's skin and tissue has been rated a 9 on the Mohs scale of Hardness (normal human tissue equals a 1 and diamond equals 10).
  • Superhuman Endurance: He can exert himself at peak levels for up to an hour without tiring and no longer needs food, water, or air to survive.
  • Enhanced Agility
  • Instantaneous Reflexes
  • Super-human Speed: Though at first using a rocket propulsion belt to fly, he later learned to fly using his own ionic propulsion. Since then he has learned much more about himself and his powers, including feats such as, changing his body's dimensions and firing energy blasts from his eyes.


Wonder Man also doesn't age.
   I think he should be Marvels Superman, and I would like him more.

#34 Posted by dangerman1916 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is the worst character ive ever seen in either dc or marvel. I dont acknowledge his existence

#35 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

He is definitely cooler than sentry.  Heck, he's cooler than Superman.
 
But don't ruin Wonderman by making him superman.

#36 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that you mention it

#37 Posted by Husk45 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I thot Hyprion was Marvels Superman?
#38 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's an ide: No one. Marvel's been doing fine without one. Superman is one and only. Marvel doesn't need copycats just for the sake of copycats. You don't see thread's like "DC
s true Spiderman" around, do you?

#39 Posted by King Hercules (1160 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Man was one of Marvels Heavy Hitters but now he has become a joke in my opinion. He once took on the Avengers (including Thor) and nearly won. He faced off against Count Nefaria and Ultron in single combat and lived to speak of it. His fist were said to equal the force of Thor's hammer. But what has he done since? He's been regulated to being some actor pretending to be a super-hero. In many ways he reminds me of Booster Gold. I wish Marvel reinvent him to be a Superman. He has the power.
#40 Posted by King Hercules (1160 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
"Here's an ide: No one. Marvel's been doing fine without one. Superman is one and only. Marvel doesn't need copycats just for the sake of copycats. You don't see thread's like "DC s true Spiderman" around, do you? "

When I say a Superman character and refer to being a powerful force for good. Not actually being just some flying strong guy with a cape.
#41 Posted by Hyperion31916 (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alpha said:
" King Saturn said:
"Hmmm... I always saw Gladiator closer to Superman level than Wonder Man... but hey  !  Maybe it could work
"
But his agenda and personality would not make him the hero in the likes of Superman. As far as a protector of earth and a premier hero, I think Wonder Man would fit. Instead of bringing in the Sentry, I think Marvel should focus on Wonder Man. "
Yea marvel should start focusing a helluva lot more on Wonder Man.
#42 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alpha:
He's good, but nah. I always felt that the sentry was Marvels answer to Superman, except with a severe mental imbalance.
#43 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's Superman is Hyperion (who's way cooler than Wonder Man, IMO).
#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12398 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc:
hyperion is an homage to superman not his marvel counterpart plus hyperion is in a completley different universe 
 
i wish simon got more limelight he deserved to be on the avengers more than spider-woman  (not that she dosnt deserve to be avengers simon just deserves it more) 
but then bendis had to turn him into a pmsing jerk
#45 Posted by Overkill (404 posts) - - Show Bio

 Nope, he's still Marvel's transgender Woman Woman to me.

#46 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5408 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe more Marvel's Captain Atom.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.