Is the new wondergirl a avatar for the viking mythology

#1 Edited by Deva12 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I may be reading far too much into this but during the lastest issue Wondergirl yelled out Hela! not Hera. Hela is another name for Hel the viking goddess who rules over their version of the underworld. Also her demeanor when possessed seemed remarkably evil siphoning peoples souls and etc. It would semi make sense with all the werid changes made to the universe I am kinda hoping it is true because I always loved the arcs which focus on other pantheons. I really wish they brought back Rama as wonder womans lover or maybe bring up a few less known pantheons like they did with the Hawaiian gods (with wonder woman giving her loyality to one and then his daughter showing up in the fighclub).

#2 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

that seems like an interesting twist...I LIKE IT!

#3 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5313 posts) - - Show Bio

At the beggining of the run she did stress how she and her abilities had nothing to do with Wonder Woman. I agree it is a nice twist. Perhaps she grows to the point that they fight one of these years.

#4 Posted by Zoch81 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be a very interesting twist I think be cool if armor and her powers comes from viking gods it be way of introducing Norse mythology in 52.

#5 Edited by Deva12 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@Guardiandevil83 said:

At the beggining of the run she did stress how she and her abilities had nothing to do with Wonder Woman. I agree it is a nice twist. Perhaps she grows to the point that they fight one of these years.

Ooo I kinda forgot about that that is a good point. But when in her armored persona she wanted to be referred to as wonder girl which threw me for a loop because it seemed so random. Because there was no acceptance of her role as wonder womans protege just the possession.

#6 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deva12 said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

Ooo I kinda forgot about that that is a good point. But when in her armored persona she wanted to be referred to as wonder girl which threw me for a loop because it seemed so random. Because there was no acceptance of her role as wonder womans protege just the possession.

She probably got sick and a tired of all the comparisons. lol

#7 Posted by starrk_coyote (621 posts) - - Show Bio

@telepathic666 said:

i Second it! :) i like the idea, it could work!

#8 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

A cool idea. Plus her and the Diesel both stated that the armors were meant to, or could potentially, bring about the end of the world.....or put another way, Ragnarok. The suits also have a nice Viking/Valkyrie appearance to them and Valkyrie's were tasked with taking warrior souls from the battlefield.

Of course with what's going on in Wonder Woman right now I'm not sure DC would be wise in confusing readers with more pantheons, but maybe it could be stated that the Viking pantheon was replaced by the Greek pantheon (who may well get replaced themselves soon). That way the armors are relics of an early period of Earth history and part of the control they try and place on the wearer is taking out the current pantheon in revenge.

#9 Posted by Deva12 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd said:

A cool idea. Plus her and the Diesel both stated that the armors were meant to, or could potentially, bring about the end of the world.....or put another way, Ragnarok. The suits also have a nice Viking/Valkyrie appearance to them and Valkyrie's were tasked with taking warrior souls from the battlefield.

Of course with what's going on in Wonder Woman right now I'm not sure DC would be wise in confusing readers with more pantheons, but maybe it could be stated that the Viking pantheon was replaced by the Greek pantheon (who may well get replaced themselves soon). That way the armors are relics of an early period of Earth history and part of the control they try and place on the wearer is taking out the current pantheon in revenge.

Well the wonderwoman series always have multiple pantheons running which is why I loved reading wonder woman comics. They had story lines like the return of chronos with the greek, older greek (titans), Hindu, and Abrahamic religions. So it wouldnt be terribly confusing well atleast not as much as their current continuity is already (when is this whole god thing plays out in terms to the justice league what happened to tempest and the original titans etc etc.). I am really not liking how the new wonder woman comics are going atleast how I think its going to play out with the eventual death of the gods and them being replaced by new gods (or atleast a re hash of the space travel arc they already had with the gods).

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24657 posts) - - Show Bio

Could have been a typo but it would be cool to see DCs take on Norse mythology get highlighted

#11 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty cool. I actually thought it was a typo when I saw Hela. It's gonna be even more interesting when Wonder Woman and Wonder girl meet, how their backgrounds may clash or even come together.

#12 Posted by hyperman (280 posts) - - Show Bio

It is all very similar to what happened with the relationship between Diana and Donna (Troia) after Crisis on infinite earths (1985). At the beginning they had nothing to do with each other, eventually they both ended up meeting with each other and finding out the truth about their origins. I think, the same's gonna happen now with Diana and Cass.

#13 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deva12 said:

I may be reading far too much into this but during the lastest issue Wondergirl yelled out Hela! not Hera. Hela is another name for Hel the viking goddess who rules over their version of the underworld. Also her demeanor when possessed seemed remarkably evil siphoning peoples souls and etc. It would semi make sense with all the werid changes made to the universe I am kinda hoping it is true because I always loved the arcs which focus on other pantheons. I really wish they brought back Rama as wonder womans lover or maybe bring up a few less known pantheons like they did with the Hawaiian gods (with wonder woman giving her loyality to one and then his daughter showing up in the fighclub).

@telepathic666 said:

I like it too. It will be interesting to see what comes though I feel that Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl should have a binding tie.

#14 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

@Deva12 said:

@telepathic666 said:

I like it too. It will be interesting to see what comes though I feel that Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl should have a binding tie.

in Teen Titans #13, her armor is shown to be of Cambodian origin... from the ruins near Angkor Vat

edit: i remember Tim saying the language in the ruins is not Mon Khmer but the mark of Trigon..still there's seems to be no connection to Hela or Norse mythology yet

#15 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Could have been a typo but it would be cool to see DCs take on Norse mythology get highlighted

Exactly. I've had a problem with this for a while. Marvel uses all of the other pantheons in some capacity. With Moon Knight they've got the Egyptian pantheon as he worships Khonshu, of course there's Thor, with Snowbird there's the Inuit/Eskimo pantheon, really the different pantheons mean they've got a better source for interesting new mythology based characters rather than being limited to just Greco-Roman

Still this isn't enough to get me to read the new Teen Titans, but it's interesting and I look forward to finding out this progresses

#16 Posted by Deva12 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I think it may been just a typo now since its been quite awhile and there have been no mention of really any Viking gods or really other pantheons other then the main staples of DC (Greco-Roman, Abrahamic (Deadman, Constantine) , New gods, with tiny bits of Hindu/Bhuddism (Deadman) and Egytian(Dr. Fate).

Well other then the mysterious council of mages

Though they probably dont represent pantheons but the red head looks kinda like a norse woman to me. But from left to right I think it goes Middle Eastern Shaman (possible Egytian/Forgotten Gods if he represents Black Adam in this universe) , Norse, Chinese (not sure the name), Shazam (Abrahamic, Greek, Roman. Judging by the acronym), Egytian, Shinto, Native American Shaman

#17 Edited by Awar (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@deva12 said:

I may be reading far too much into this but during the lastest issue Wonder Girl yelled out Hela! not Hera. Hela is another name for Hel the viking goddess who rules over their version of the underworld. Also her demeanor when possessed seemed remarkably evil siphoning peoples souls and etc. It would semi make sense with all the weird changes made to the universe I am kinda hoping it is true because I always loved the arcs which focus on other pantheons. I really wish they brought back Rama as wonder womans lover or maybe bring up a few less known pantheons like they did with the Hawaiian gods (with wonder woman giving her loyalty to one and then his daughter showing up in the fight club).

Actually Hela is the Daughter of Loki and ruler of Hel named after herself which was adopted into the early christian (in order to convert the Norse believers, It was very common to do this the Romans did it the britons!) religion from which we get Hell, However Hel in Norse religion was a place all souls went if they did not die in battle, Those go to Valhalla taken there by the Valkyries for some unknown reason!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.