Just so i'm clear

• 76 results
#1 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

This page is for any woman that has had something ill come her way?

#2 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

That's what I got out of it. I thought it was pretty interesting.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

it made me giggle when i stumbled upon it

guess i have some editing to do.
#4 Posted by Snake Eyes (101 posts) - - Show Bio

.... :s

#5 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really.
RUNAWAYS SPOILERS

Example: Gert was killed. Not a case of WiR because Gert's death was not meant to show JUST HOW EVIL the villain was to Gert's boyfriend, nor was Gert suddenly forgotten or reduced to nothing more then "Chase's girlfriend who died" .

A case of WiR would be Lady Bullseye. She was repeatedly raped!!!!!!! until luckily some handsome dashing man came in and told her "Hey, you know, you could leave" and she decided to leave.

#6 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't get it

#7 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawkingbird said:

Example: Gert was killed. Not a case of WiR because Gert's death was not meant to show JUST HOW EVIL the villain was...
WiR was supposed to mean: "women who got screwed over, by anything" ...death pretty much means that your screwed so Gert should be in this list.
#8 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

No, WiR means the massive amount of women who have been killed tortured and raped for plot devices.

#9 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkingbird's right, Women in Refrigerators is a list of female characters who are "used" in the plots being tortured or killed to to make us feel sorry for the male superhero and/or to show us how bad the villan really is.

But the best for you to understand is to check out the website of inventor of the term

http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/

#10 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

So...if a female character was cut on the wrist while engaged in a battle with the a Male villain, then she is a WIR?

that's like all of the comic world
#11 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"So...if a female character was cut on the wrist while engaged in a battle with the a Male villain, then she is a WIR?
that's like all of the comic world
"
No! It's about serious stuff! - If you really want to know just read the official website.
#12 Edited by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

Quote from original page:
"Not every woman in comics has been killed, raped, depowered, crippled, turned evil, maimed, tortured, contracted a disease or had other life-derailing tragedies befall her, but given the following list (originally compiled by Gail, with later additions and changes), it's hard to think up exception:"

well there's your proof right there, killed means your on the list.

Edit: and it's not just women who have been misused, for us to feel sorry for male hero. it's a term for misused women in general. Gail has listed some women on the list for just losing their code name to others (Captain Marvel the female one, she even borrowed the name form male hero, but she is mention in the list for loseing it to male)

#13 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a plot device. Killed doesn't necessarily mean you're on the list, Calvin hit it on the head with this.

Calvin said:

"

Hawkingbird's right, Women in Refrigerators is a list of female characters who are "used" in the plots being tortured or killed to to make us feel sorry for the male superhero and/or to show us how bad the villan really is.

"

It may say killed on the site, but it's not meant in a way where every woman that gets hurt or dies is an example of WiR
Staff
#14 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

I take that back...
From ComicVine:
"One day it occurred to Gail Simone, a comic book writer, that women in comics are so commonly misused to define a story when one of her favorite female character was killed off. She decided to call this term "Women in Refrigerators," after a panel in the Green Lantern #54 (1994) comic book, in which the Kyle Rayner comes home to his apartment and discovers that his girlfriend, Alex DeWitt, was killed by a villain named Major Force, and then stuffed in a refrigerator. Gail says that she realizes that some that are on the list have been revived already, but the question remains why they had to suffer in the first place."

Still a plot device, in many cases used to show how bad villain is, or empathy for the hero, but it pretty much is anytime a woman is mis-used.
Now, I have a better understanding. KillerZ wins.

Staff
#15 Edited by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

so you are saying that Pixie or Klara don't belong to the list. Because Pixie, she was just beaten up, it was not related to some male hero. And Klara who was married when she was like 9 year old and beaten, and forced to "marital duties" at age of 12.

Edit: oh you took that back, nevermind then :)

#16 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
KillerZ said:
"so you are saying that Pixie or Klara don't belong to the list. Because Pixie, she was just beaten up, it was not related to some male hero. And Klara who was married when she was like 9 year old and beaten, and forced to "marital duties" at age of 12.
"
I assume you were writing this while I posted mine. Yes, they belong on the list. I just needed to read Gail's definition of it, instead of one I've heard second-hand.
Staff
#17 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Women in refrigerators is basically the idea that as a plot device, the women in comics die/raped/etc etc.

Think Gwen Stacy from Spider-Man

#18 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah wrote it as you posted your last post. But lets leave it for others to see, these are strong examples of women being misused in comics, and no male heroes are needed for that

#19 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Women in refrigerators is basically the idea that as a plot device, the women in comics die/raped/etc etc.

Think Gwen Stacy from Spider-Man"
Exactly. Drifter also wins. Plot device, women misused....

We're all winners with WiR!
Staff
#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

WHat about women being beaten by other women...I.e. Arachne and Ms. Marvel having their showdown in Civil war, while Arachne's daughter watched. 

#21 Posted by Obi (11 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"WHat about women being beaten by other women...I.e. Arachne and Ms. Marvel having their showdown in Civil war, while Arachne's daughter watched. "
'spose that counts
#22 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Women in refrigerators is basically the idea that as a plot device, the women in comics die/raped/etc etc.

Think Gwen Stacy from Spider-Man"
Exactly. Drifter also wins. Plot device, women misused....

We're all winners with WiR!"
GO WiR!
#23 Posted by Obi (11 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#24 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

I just realized that picture is 75% women.... I use women in a positive way.

WpT
Women posing together.

Staff
#25 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"I just realized that picture is 75% women.... I use women in a positive way.

WpT
Women posing together."
I smell a new page
#26 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio
KillerZ said:
"so you are saying that Pixie or Klara don't belong to the list. Because Pixie, she was just beaten up, it was not related to some male hero. And Klara who was married when she was like 9 year old and beaten, and forced to "marital duties" at age of 12.

Edit: oh you took that back, nevermind then :)"

I think Klara does because it was a special women!Reason. Rape, marital abuse, are special women!reasons that are WiR.
#27 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

She does: Gail Simone's definition, from the WordBallon podcast is thus...

Women being used in a demeaning fashion as a plot device.

Staff
#28 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, that's exactly the way I see it too.

#29 Posted by Otaku_Hat (12 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe WiR is just a common method for comic writers to use... I mean women have been known to be more emotional and what not and damsel in distress.... so Its not odd to see so many women tortured or dead just to affect a male hero's personality.. still it is a bit much and we haven't seen and MiR yet >.> except for Ms Marvel's kree/spy Boyfriend =w=;;

#30 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Women in refrigerators the website is a joke.

It contains all sorts of characters like Tarrot and Roulette that died pointlessly....alongside a bunch of male characters.

To say that characters in general are being killed off or treated poorly would be correct.  To say that it is happening to more female characters might even be correct as well.  But the website/list does a piss poor job of proving that point.

#31 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio

LMMFAO

#32 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

The website was made 11 years ago.

#33 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I was listening to the news yesterday and there was a woman that was stabbed to death then stuffed in her fridge

#34 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"I was listening to the news yesterday and there was a woman that was stabbed to death then stuffed in her fridge"
She only qualifies for the list if it was in a comic book.
#35 Edited by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"Women in refrigerators the website is a joke.

It contains all sorts of characters like Tarrot and Roulette that died pointlessly....alongside a bunch of male characters.

To say that characters in general are being killed off or treated poorly would be correct.  To say that it is happening to more female characters might even be correct as well.  But the website/list does a piss poor job of proving that point."

Gail Simone didn't originally create the list to say that female heroes are getting mistreated more than male heroes (I think). She was just annoyed that female characters were getting the short end of the stick and so decided to do something about it. A lot of people seem to miss the point of list, hence creating a lot of "men vs. women" arguments.

Slinger said:
"pixelized said:
"I was listening to the news yesterday and there was a woman that was stabbed to death then stuffed in her fridge"
She only qualifies for the list if it was in a comic book."
BUT THERE'S STILL A FRIDGE INVOLVED!
#36 Edited by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

betty banner.... NOOO!
That aint fair, she has suffered alot.
even her voice in the cartoons was of pain.

srsly those cold hearted writters how could they treat characters like that? I would just love to see their wives or mothers suffer like that.
An omg! Black cat got raped?.... thats just MEAN!

#37 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Srsly. WTF, Kevin Smith?

What's even worse is that he said that was her ENTIRE reason for becoming the Black Cat.

#38 Posted by Toastalchemist (168 posts) - - Show Bio

But they're super heroes, some bad stuff is going to happen their way. Bad stuff has happened to the men as well.

#39 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
Toastalchemist said:
"But they're super heroes, some bad stuff is going to happen their way. Bad stuff has happened to the men as well. "

The original point of WiR is that bad stuff happens to female characters because of their connection to particular male characters.  But you're right, the male characters do go through a lot of crap too.  As the old saying goes 'every time a bell rings, Archangels gets new wings' :p
#40 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

The Storm example is a poor one.  Her story rivals that of her male counterparts, so having her there doesn't really make a lot of sense.

#41 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

She was orphaned, and trapped in the building that killed her parents.  Grew up as a street thief working for the Shadow King.  Then as an adult she lost her powers, which was pretty bad, made worse that it was caused by the man she loved.  Then she was de-aged to a pre-teen with (at the time) no sign of returning to her adult age. 

Granted, she didn't experience all of that because of a male love interest, but that's still a lot of crap just to give the character 'depth'.

#42 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"

She was orphaned, and trapped in the building that killed her parents.  Grew up as a street thief working for the Shadow King.  Then as an adult she lost her powers, which was pretty bad, made worse that it was caused by the man she loved.  Then she was de-aged to a pre-teen with (at the time) no sign of returning to her adult age. 

Granted, she didn't experience all of that because of a male love interest, but that's still a lot of crap just to give the character 'depth'.

"
The same sad story can be given to an main X-Men character... None of them have normal lives
Staff
#43 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

That's probably why many X-Women appear on the WiR list.

So, what's the standard procedure to remove characters from the list?

#44 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

Go to the WiR page, hit the edit button, and edit the stuff. I'm about to hit that page up too because there are some reasons for WiR for some characters that don't belong, i.e. X-23.

Staff
#45 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

why has being severely de-powered gotten Zatanna on this list? I'm sure she was severely depowered because with her god-like abilities, a lot of those haters that need to "relate to the characters" didn't like her and so she was drastically de-powered so people would still buy her comics. I could be wrong...but that's what makes most sense to me.

#46 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"why has being severely de-powered gotten Zatanna on this list? I'm sure she was severely depowered because with her god-like abilities, a lot of those haters that need to "relate to the characters" didn't like her and so she was drastically de-powered so people would still buy her comics. I could be wrong...but that's what makes most sense to me.
"
That's why I'm going to do some work there....

inferiorego said:
"Go to the WiR page, hit the edit button, and edit the stuff. I'm about to hit that page up too because there are some reasons for WiR for some characters that don't belong, i.e. X-23.
"
I just realized xerox 37,000 points and you know how to edit.

Staff
#47 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

UPDATE: Supposedly, I'm looking into it, the list was compiled by Gail Simone, who created the term... I'm going to look into it.

Staff
#48 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks, but I actually mean permision to remove characters from the list.  After all, we could debate for weeks about the pro's & con's why certain characters are there ;)

#49 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

if you have a full valid reason to remove or add a character to the list, do it and then if your submission goes to moderation we'll discuss it then...

if you're on live edit, then just use your common sense to decided if a character belongs in the list or not

M

#50 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"if you have a full valid reason to remove or add a character to the list, do it and then if your submission goes to moderation we'll discuss it then...

if you're on live edit, then just use your common sense to decided if a character belongs in the list or not

M
"
see but the problem is, the list was written by Gail Simone...yet many of her choices make no sense...even though she came up with the term o_O

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.