Follow

Women in Comics

Concept » Women in Comics appears in 15 issues.

Article covering the role of women in comics throughout the ages.

The Debate Over High Heels

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

I am importing the first part of this blog from my old discontinued fashion blog, because I feel my point was made fairly well there:

There seem to be three groups of women when it comes to high heels - those that love them, those that hate them, and those that love and hate them.   Those that love them love what they do for their legs, love the extension of the bodies curves to their feet, love the connection to fashion, love the sense of embracing their femininity and love the feeling of sexual dominance they get while wearing them.  Those that hate them do so for another multitude of reason - not comfortable, not practical, or not even stylish.  Those that both love and hate are a combination of the two. 

Men sort of fall along the same lines - those that think they are exceptionally hot, and those that think they are not practical and would rather their wife or girlfriend be able to walk alongside them at a reasonable pace rather than lagging behind.  I fall into the love and hate category, veering more towards the hate though.  First of all, I should remind that I am from Canada, for at least a third of the year, high heels aren't even really viable.  They are hard enough to walk on cement, let alone on ice. 

Just like with miniskirts I do own some high heeled shoes, and I would say that I even love what they do for my overall appearance, but I still feel that the concept of high heels is over sold to women.  We see models wearing them all the time in magazines and on the catwalk, and they are a must for actors going to an awards ceremony or movie premiere, and this is my main issue with them.  These images give us the impression that these people wear high heels all the time, which is obviously not the case.  An internet search of stars in casual clothese does not show the same dependence on high heeled footwear.

There are those celebrities, such as Mariah Carey who claim that as children that they walked around on their tiptoes, looking forward to the day when their heel could be supported by a thin spike.  I think that people with such an opinion are the minority, both among celebs and among regular women.  Certainly I have friends that wear them everywhere even in the less formal atmosphere of the university, but most friends reserve them for what I do - maybe a date where we want to make a nice impression or some socially significant event like a wedding. 

The debates over the health issues related to high heels is unavoidable.  They do lead to foot and ankle problems, some short term, others longer term.  There is a counter argument to the health issue - high heels undoubtedly give a long of women stronger confidence and this confidence can lead to other beneficial areas of health, such as self esteem and therefore even an improved sex life.  In fact it seems to be a common argument of those so much in favour, that they don't care so much how their feet will feel when they are 50, as long as they lived their life and had fun in their 20s and 30s. 

In the end I guess it all comes down to the image that we as women are trying to portray and how it makes us comfortable or not.  Another piece of fashion, the pushup bra for instance, is also decidedly uncomfortable but also adds a sense of fashion and female empowerment.  And there are women who would wear one all the time but never the other.   High heels are just another in the side array of accessories and items that we have at our disposal, and while they are sometimes reviled by me, I still make room for them in my closet.

So now on to the new – how does this apply to comics.   As I have stated a few times before (my very first post, my blog about women in the bat-titles) I don’t find high heels on superheroines to be very practical.   Here are a few reasons:

1.   You can’t run – I don’t know if any one has ever seen footage of the Charity “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes”.   It basically involves men walking a mile is women’s high heels for charity.   Some events as opposed to walking encourage the participants to run instead.   If you haven’t seen this check it out and then maybe look at a video of someone running the 100 m sprint in the Olympics.   You can see the different running styles and how much slower the men are just because of the mechanics of what is involved.   In fact running in heels is pretty impractical, even ones which are designed for it.

2.   You can’t balance (and therefore fight) – Women all across the world every year suffer bruises, breaks, pulls and strains from wearing high heels.   The main problem with these shoes is that they put pressures on feet which are unnatural which when combined with the way that you are balanced gives it a good chance of causing injury.   There are a lot of workout techniques designed specifically for women to wear high heels over 4 inches high.   Therefore fighting would be nearly impossible.

3.   Enhanced strength becomes a problem   - The design of some high heels is such that the pressure placed but the heel on a surface is greater than the pressure which an elephant applies to a surface where it walks.   Now imagine if you were a heroine and you had to pick someone up or carry something with superstrength.   Your heels would quite possibly poke holes through the floor wherever you or more likely just crumple under the forces applied to them.   Even thicker or chunkier heels would have this problem.  

There are some exceptions to high heels, but not really as it would apply to superheroines.   Dancers are often seen wearing them, but keep in mind these are specially designed shoes where the heels is extremely well reinforced and the heel itself is no more than two and half inches.   What dancers can do in these heels is just about the furthest extension of what is possible in heels.   They can hardly jump and they move a lot more slowly.   I understand that comics like to present things in greater than life detail but maybe the heels should be left for social occasions not fighting bad guys.       

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kaowas

I agree 100% on the issue. Yes, high heels help make the woman's legs look great, and hence asserts sex appeal for the woman wearing them, but they just are not practical for anything but walking and standing. I know this after being dared, years ago, to spend a day in high heels. Unfortunately it wasn't for charity, but in the end I felt like I owed somebody somewhere money.

I have seen women fight in high heels before, and effectively at that. However, the following clip gives us some insight on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwXdxRuk_Dg

This further extends into my issues regarding a super heroine's footwear and their costumes, but we're talking about footwear here.

I have no problem with the suspension of disbelief when it comes to comic books, but I'd prefer it if there was a bit more common sense with regards to costume choices. Footwear is an essential part of a crime fighter's attire, and if they are unable to balance while throwing a kick or running, then the crime fighter would have to reassess her tactics. This is especially for super heroines who are martial artists.
    Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Aiden Cross

Ugh, this reminds me of a girl in my class. She always wore high heels and every day she was complaining that her feet hurt. When we said something (also other girls in the class) about it, she'd respond that 'no she wouldn't wear other (comfortable) shoes because high heels made her look sexy'... *sigh*

Granted, they did make her look sexy. But when she's constantly whining about it, the sexiness goes away real fast and it just gets plain annoying. I'd say if you have to wear them, fine. But don't bug others with the fact they hurt when we've already told you to wear different kind of shoes! I'd say wear shoes you feel comfortable in and you can actually walk on, but i'm simple like that xP

To get to the superhero part, yup they are really impractical, but then again.. a lot of superhero outfits are just plain impractical. Men or women.

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tigerex78

High heels serve one purpose which you have mentioned here(make you look more sexy).  I am of the opinion that practicality should be the rule for crime fighters.  Female comic book characters are idealized already, high heels may add to that but it doesn't make sense to have a female crime fighter wear them.  They have to fight, run, etc.  High heels become a liability.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEGRAAF

lol this describes my wife and her sister perfectly. My wife hates high heeled shoes and refuses to wear anything that is taller than 2" and even that has to be a wedge type sandel. She went as far as wearing flat flip flops on our wedding day (for the whole ceremony)

My sister in law wheres them everyday every where. She owns 50+ pairs of high heels and maybe 1 or 2 paris of tennis shoes. She actually claims the high heels are more comfortable for her because she wears them so much and for so long that that is what her body and muscles are used to.

My cousins on the other hand actually own their own high heel shoe line (KM2 Shoes) and while they do where high heels for parties or events, you also catch them more days then not, wearing normal shoes.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TypingKira

Great post Tazzy! While I agree with many things you say here, that heels are impractical and wouldn't realistically work as part of a costume, I do feel like, as a writer and artist, you're forgetting the element of fantasy involved. Yes, heels suck, but they are also sexy, and look great on the strong, independent female hero. They're like a symbol. 

So while I agree with you about all these things, I also, personally, separate the fact from the fiction. 
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I liken the issue of heels to how swimwear is nowadays and has been for some time.  Its all for aesthetics rather than practicality.  In all fairness though at least the heels in comics have not gotten ridiculously big...and by ridiculously I mean this...

or this...

or, God forbid, this...

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Everything has a limit to it. Heels are nice, but know your limits, its not worth it to break your ankles over fashion.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @RedheadedAtrocitus:
    What do you mean swimwear is only for astetics? the swimwear most commonly seen is still functional. I assume your talking about the bikini in which case women can still swim, dive, and play in them with out everything falling out or showing unless they got the wrong size for themselves.
    Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValendianKnight

For most female characters that fight anything at all, they look retarded.

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF: I mean just what I said, lol the swimwear is mostly just for aesthetics.  Yes, its functional still in the case that they don't malfunction or anything (most anyway), but come on, at most those things are just good for eye candy and nothing more. They don't help you swim faster than if a normal one piece was worn. Ask any Olympic swimmer.  When I mean aesthetics its mostly just easy on the eyes today and while they are still functioning there is barely any practicality to them at all, at least in my opinion.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @RedheadedAtrocitus:
    Thats true. Im not trying to say that women should wear them instead of a one piece. I think most people arent trying to be better swimmers while in the water.  If we were all trying to swim better then most men would switch to speedo's. im not trying to say that i know what women think about it but from the opinions i have heard is that women wear bikini's to get a better tan.
    thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By thehummingbird

this blog might have just hurt my already low wallet...>.> Need to go make some money (sounds sketchy...) ....Anyway I like heels overall ( can make 5'2'' go to 5'4'' or 5'6'' like that....XD )  I do wear them casually, however, like everything you do not want to over do it, it is unhealthy and looks like you are trying to hard =/ In a manner of comic book heroes it is completely  impractical and stupid if these were normal girls, but they are not in many ways accurately represented especially physically. High heels can also be associated with the meaning of power and confidence which I believe fits in well with the female super hero or villain. On the other hand if we are going off of realism it is the worst idea of all, I would probably choose a cool pair of boots if I was a super hero, it much more practical and can still look sexy/hot/pretty/attractive. I am overall very girly though other than my nerd habits so yes. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @RedheadedAtrocitus:  Ouch, my ankle just snapped looking at your images. 

Your second image is that of a medieval torturing device is it not? Oh, no, thats right, I saw it in that movie Saw... lol 
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC: I know right? What I've always known is, for the women who wear these kinda things (especially second image), do they get Charley's Horses often from this? I mean, dang...! I say this mostly because I suffered a bad Charley's Horse like a few weeks ago and it hurt like crazy.
    ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By ragdollpurps

I'm in that hate/love category as well. I love the way they look and I'm pretty short so a few inches is always good, but they hurt so bad! I'll wear them to go out to dinner but that's about it. I see some girls at school walk across campus in them and I don't know how they do it, lol. Definitely agree that super heroines/villains should opt for better traction and maneuverability. I'd suggest what THB said and just go for boots, and I'd say that by design they also have the benefit of encasing your ankles to give you more stable footing. I've seen some pretty stylish ones that had what was almost a sneaker sole.

akshayv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By akshayv

I’ve owned orthofeet for over two months now. I’ve suffered from planters fasciitis and a broken foot. My feet were in constant pain until I bought these shoes. When I get home from work I don’t want to put on my slippers I just want to keep on my shoes. I’ve been recommending them to all my friends. I think they look great and clean up well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.